DAY 3-7: Single or Taken?

House of 20's
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

EPISODE NARRATIVE

Jung Hyungdon: Even just on the first week under one roof, different friendship lines have become rampant inside the house. From bromances to sisterhoods, the relationships flourished among the housemates. Suzy and Soohyun's friendship especially stood out, having been friends for three years already. Yuna and Taeyeon have become fond of each other, never parting ways and always talking. Woobin and G-Dragon immediately formed a bromance that could rival that of roommates Taehwan and Seungho's. The elders Soojoo and Geunyoung have gotten really close too.

Park Myungsoo: The relationship of the respective roommates couldn't be discounted as they performed their weekly tasks. Each pair was assigned to lose sleep every day, and they spent spent endless hours talking. Taehwan and Seungho bonded over video games, Suzy and Geunyoung played their part while talking about their CF production experiences, Woobin and Soohyun found similarities in their drama experiences, and Yuna and Soojoo spent sleepless nights talking about boys.

Yoo Jaesuk: But we were quick to notice that all but one pair had a smooth-sailing getting-to-know relationship. On Day 4, Jiyong and Taeyeon were assigned to lose sleep. Unlike the other pairs, they opted to spend their assigned sleepless night apart. Jiyong played the guitar and a mini piano in the veranda, while Taeyeon read a book on her bed. When Jiyong would go inside to get food, Taeyeon would back out and wait for Jiyong to vacate the house. Why were the two idols carefully avoiding one another's presence? Perhaps, it has something to do with their past?

PD: Do Jiyong and Taeyeon know each other?

Super Junior's Heechul: No, don't put it like that. Taeyeon has never mentioned him to me, and we are very close. I think it has something to do with her fear of being hated. She has been through severe trauma from recent scandals. She and G-Dragon were put inside one room, they were singled out during the first few days, and I know Taeyeon enough to assume she is being careful. SM female idols have always been told to be careful when it came to their friendship with other male idols, especially those from outside SM. Taeyeon's just being really careful, maybe even scared. 

PD: Jiyong and Taeyeon have been talking to each other alluding to what seemed to be a past relationship. What can you say about that?

YG's Teddy: Past relationship? That's highly unlikely. Jiyong likes wild and confident girls. I don't mean any offense to SNSD's Taeyeon-ssi, but she is a good girl. I'm sure she's also a confident woman, but she's too good for a b**stard like Jiyong. If they ever talk like they knew each other, then I don't know. I've known Jiyong for fifteen years, and he hasn't mentioned Miss Taeyeon to me. Besides, what do you mean? After the first daily task, they haven't really talked much, right? So don't put much meaning to the things day said during Day 2. 


---


THE KITCHEN, 4:00 AM

What can we eat here? Hmmmm... why is there very limited food supply here? It's like we're on a diet or something.

Taeyeon was checking out the refrigerator and pantry, but was unable to find anything that worked her appetite. She was trying her best to remain awake, the cans of caffeine making her so hungry.

"Do you want to eat?"

"Holy shoooooot!" she screamed so loud, catching her chest. Looking back, she saw her partner in active duty for Sleepless Patrol. "Omo, you really scared me!"

"I'm sorry. I'm making some omelette, do you want to join me?" Kwon Jiyong casually invited, walking past her to grab raw eggs from the fridge.

I can't turn this down or I'd appear rude. Fine. You make the best omelette anyway.

And so Taeyeon agreed, watching the Big Bang leader work his way in the kitchen. They didn't talk, and Taeyeon was glad Jiyong had the cooking to compensate for their awkward silence. She then decided to set the table and heat up some bread, and after fifteen minutes, the two of them were eating together, across each other in the table.

"How do you find it here? Are you enjoying?" Jiyong asked. The forced small talk now begun.

"Yeah."

"You haven't talked to me in a long time. You're avoiding me, right?"

"Eh?"

Jiyong smirked, then took a huge bite out of the bread. Taeyeon was once again caught off guard with his bluntness. He was sometimes too honest it made her uncomfortable.

"Don't be too careful Ms. Kim. The more you become careful, the more people would put meaning into it."

"Is that why you're being too close with the female housemates?" Taeyeon answered back, equally blunt. He didn't appreciate Kwon Jiyong's casual disregard of her efforts to steer away from him as possible.

Cooking for Yuna. Washing clothes with Geunyoung unnie. Baking with Soojoo unnie. Playing cards with Suzy. You're working your oppa image to all those housemates. Hmpppffff.

"I would have been close with you too if you gave me the chance."

I already gave you the chance, and you wasted it. Taeyeon thought. She chose not to respond anymore, and instead concentrated on finishing her omelette. By this time, she already forgot that cameras were surveilling their every action. Living inside this house 24/7, it became so easy to be too comfortable and forgetful of the cameras.

"I just want to be friends. There's nothing wrong with being friends," Kwon Jiyong seriously laid out, stopped from eating. He was looking right at her. "We are roommates and housemates, so it's going to be really weird if we don't talk to each other. We're really the only ones here who aren't interacting at all. I know our fans can be volatile... but... they just have to understand we're only doing our best here in the house."

Frack it. When you put it that way, now it seems it's silly of me to avoid you in the first place. I hate that you're always right and sensible!

"Arasseo. I'll stop avoiding you," she coldly answered, pushing her empty plate a little forward.

"So you admit that you have been avoiding me?"

"I told you before, I'm being careful. I don't have a good image," she decided to be more honest now. She didn't want to give Jiyong the chance to feel like he won over her.

"Why are you so caught up with what the people think? In the end, what matters is what you think of yourself. You're not doing anything wrong. So what if you're friends with a lot of male idols? That's your choice, that's your life. Choose and live your own way."

You haven't changed at all Kwon Jiyong. You are still very positive, very confident, very self-assured. I envy you so much. Now she just remembered that she was actually beig watched and adjudged by the public, thanks to his kind reminder.

"It's easier for male idols."

"Trust me, it's difficult just the same for either of our worlds," Jiyong said with a little chuckle. "Did you like the omelette?"

"You've always made good omelette--- Ehem. I mean... it's good. Thank you."

He stood up and gathered their plates. But since he already cooked for them, she volunteered to clean the dishes. However, Jiyong till stood beside her, close to her, while she was washing in the sink.

"So friends?" he asked.

"Alright," she replied.

"Shake hands?"

"Don't push it Ji."

"-Yong," she added, trying to sound more formal.

"I told you, choose and live your own way."

"Aish, fine," she said, rinsing her hands and wiping it dry, then offering it to him. "Friends."

They shook hands to it. This was their first personal conversation and skinship since the day they... parted ways...


---


LIVE STREAM CHAT

User: So Tae-'s plan succeeded anyway. Play hard to get, and capture GD's heart. Now GD chased her, and she feels like she's a princess or something. 

User: Is she that dense to believe we won't see through her plans? This .

User: What plan? You are reading too much into it. Any female idol would do the same thing, especially since we're talking about G-Dragon here.

User: Uhm, last time I checked, Suzy is a female idol too. Yuna is considered an idol for the youth too. But they didn't hesitate to be friendly with G-Dragon. Taeyeon's hard-to-get drama is sooooooooo ty. Wake up.

User: VIPs are so stupid. Did Suzy get caught kissing another male idol while driving her Benz? Did Yuna get persecuted for being friendly with other male idols? NO. They did not undergo a severe trauma like Taeyeon did, so lay off Taeyeon.


---


THE LIVING ROOM, 9:00 AM

"Wake up lovers," a female voice playfully chanted. Looking up from lying down in the sofa, Jiyong saw Park Soojoo above them. Soojoo cried, "Yah, you've been awake a long time and you let the two of you sleep like that? Be careful Kwon Jiyong."

"Drop it noona," he whispered, moving really carefully as he stood up, afraid that he would wake up the sleeping beauty beside him. Yes, he and Taeyeon fell asleep together on the sofa. There was no romantic skinship whatsoever, but Taeyeon's head did rest on his lap all night.

"Aish. I'm just concerned about you, babo!" Soojoo said, slapping the back of his head. "So wake her up before the housemates see you like this."

Jiyong realized she was right, so he began to wake the sleeping one up. He nudged her head a little, saying, "Tae? Hey, rise and shine beautiful."

"Dang. Cheesy much?" Soojoo teased, sitting on the other smaller couch.

Jiyong kept trying until she woke up. Even with a bare face, there was no denying Kim Taeyeon's natural beauty.

"Good morning unnie. Morning oppa," she sheepishly greeted, even yawning as she wiped her face. 

Oppa? Hmmmm... we've gotten closer again over the last few days... and now you don't even duck away when I see your bare morning face. Jiyong chortled to himself, looking back at the last week. Taeyeon avoided him at all cost during the first four days, but since their handshaking three nights ago, she treated him so differently. So openly. So casually. So normally. This made him feel... strangely good?

One by one, the other housemates also populated the living room, ready for the Monday Morning announcement. None of them saw their sweet moments together, but Soojoo kept eyeing them with malice. Finally, the television opened to reveal Elder Yoo. They greeted one another, and then the good news was delivered

"With Jiyong and Taeyeon's two consecutive sleepless nights, you all came to 1,470 hours of awake time, meeting the weekly goal. Congratulations housemates!"

Everyone cheered and congratulated each other. The result was sweeter especially since all of them were tired from the sleepless nights. Without realizing it, Jiyong and Taeyeon playfully high-fived one another.

"We want you to know that your sacrifices wouldn't go to waste. For every sleep that each housemate lost, we will add six zeroes to it, and donate in won to your choice of charity. The housemate who lost the most sleep this week were Taeyeon and Jiyong, both with 30 hours of lost sleep. Great job making up for your weak partnership during Day 2. Because of that, the Elders, production staff, and the housemates voted the two of you and Park Soojoo as this week's MOST VALUABLE PLAYERS!"

(CHEERS)

"They spent a lot of sleepless nights together!"

"Yikee!"

"Is this love?"

"Shut up guys," Jiyong answered, dismissing the men's endless taunts. 

Taeyeon was especially blushing. Did they know about their nighttime conversations about their careers? Or how they slept so close together? Suddenly, Jiyong felt embarrassed that the housemates noticed their relative closeness in the last few days. If the housemates noticed, so would the PD and editors, so would the public and viewers. He suddenly wondered how they were being perceived outside. Aish, so much for telling Taeyeon not to care about what others think, huh Kwon Jiyong?

Elder Yoo continued, this time on a more serious note.

"We noticed that not only Taeyeon and Jiyong have grown fond of one another. Suzy and Soohyun, you two seem to be spending a lot of time together. Geunyoung and Taehwan seem to have gotten close too. Jiyong, you've also forged such a fun relationship with Yuna. Soojoo and Woobin seem to be talking a lot. We would not single out any male-female friendship, but we and the public have heard that some of you have expressed interest in one another, beyond a platonic light."

This put a silence among the housemates, and even some bowed their heads. Who expressed attraction for the opposite ? Jiyong wondered. 

"It seems many of you have forgotten the House of 20's Rule # 6: Always act with thought, respect, and sensitivity for the entities outside the house. At your age, we realize that many of you are susceptible to infatuation and attraction for your fellow housemates. However, you must all be reminded that there are a couple of housemates who revealed their romantic relationships to the public. As such, the viewers and netizens are watching you critically. Do not fuel their misjudgment of your character."

Although he hasn't openly revealed malicious intent towards another housemate, Jiyong couldn't help but feel guilty still. Afterall, he spent considerable time doting and teasing the innocent Kim Yuna. He has played around silly with Suzy. And not to mention he has been questionably close with Taeyeon. Although there was no malice on his end, perhaps the general public saw this differently?

He was a herbivore, afterall. Always close with women, always friendly and good with women, and often his friendship would be misinterpreted for attraction and flirtation. Even if to him, it was nothing.

"Today's daily task is for each housemate to answer this question: are you or are you not dating someone outside?"

. God, I don't want to drag Kiko here yet. It's much too early! Even if Jiyong was winning tasks left and right, even if he's showing a good side to him to the housemates, staff, Elders and the public, he still hasn't set in stone permanently his good nature. He couldn't just recklessly name-drop or allude to the most important woman of his life.

"You may choose to answer truthfully, lie, deny, or make up a story. You may choose to decline to answer. It is ultimately your decision. But remember this, your victory as the Ultimate Icon is highly dependent on the public's empathy."

Of course, the public was curious as to how Taeyeon would answer this question. But mostly, the netizens awaited Jiyong's confession of his long-term relationship with a Japanese supermodel.


---


MEDIA PLAY AND NETIZEN BUZZ

ELDERS ASK HOUSEMATES RELATIONSHIP STATUS
1. Wow, the PDs of this show are really reading online feedback about the housemates. This is great. As these kids are secluded, it's very easy to forget that they have an image to protect outside the house. 
2. A lot of them need a reminder, I would agree. But isn't this a personal question? Why do they have to be forced to reveal such a personal information?

WHICH RELATIONSHIP STATUS ARE YOU MOST EAGER TO KNOW?
1. Kim Yuna's. I want to know if she's broken up with that cheating hockey player.
2. Will Taengkyungverymuch still deny her disgusting May-December affair with that nobody?
3. Finally, G-Dragon would talk about his relationship with that yucky from Japan. Wonder how YG's going to mediaplay this.

WHAT TRIGGERED DAY 7'S DAILY TASK IN HOUSE OF 20'S?
1. I'm sorry, but it's clear as day that the females like the attention. Suzy's being too cutesy with Soohyun. Yuna's open crush for GD is quite pathetic and cringe-worthy. Geunyoung is quiet but deadly with Woobin. And Taeyeon, god that . Don't forget her hard-to-play act with GD. Only Soojoo has a no-bull behavior in this house.
2. Obviously G-Dragon. He's flirted with just about every female housemate. If it wasn't known that he was friends with Soojoo outside this house, I would have thought he was making the move on her too. 
3. GD is what one can call a natural flirt, a bonafide herbivore. Can we really blame the ladies? He knows Taeyeon was avoiding him, that Yuna is a VIP, that Suzy is young and gullible. He's taking advantage of them it's sickening.

VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE MALE-FEMALE FRIENDSHIP IN HOUSE OF 20'S
1. Who can resist the cute and refreshing Yuna-GD sibling interaction?
2. Suzy and Soohyun's cat-mouse/love-hate arguments are cute.
3. Is it only me who gets giddy when GD and Taeng are together? You can taste the awkwardness, but there's some romantic tension there.


---


THE GARDEN, 8:09 PM

After being given the entire day to reflect on what they would answer, the housemates were finally gathered for the big event. It seemed more a punishment for their carelessness than a task. Jiyong noticed that Taeyeon has become distant again. He could see that the daily task stressed her a great deal. She was, afterall, one of those with a publicized relat

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter