DAY 2: Strangers. Or not.

House of 20's
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

THE HOUSE, 8:09 AM 

While the male housemates and Soojoo were busy fooling around on the dining table, the four other female housemates were slouched on the sofa, getting to know each other. It was already eight in the morning, and most of them haven't slept since they entered the house last night. The twentysomethings were busily talking, hanging out, and introducing themselves with one another.

"Good morning housemates," Elder Yoo Jaesuk's voice commanded their attention, and the 72-inch flatscreen TV in the living room automatically , revealing the elderly.

"Omo! It's Jaesuk hyung," cried Park Taehwan from the dining hall.

"He's on the TV! Everyone, gather round!" shouted Suzy to the folks away from the living room. Soojoo and the boys ran towards the living room, and all ten watched their Elder from the TV.

"How was your first night together?"

"FUN YO."

"This house is awesome hyung."

"We didn't sleep!"

"Only the maknaes slept."

"The rest of us just talked."

MC Yoo Jaesuk replied, "We saw that. Everyone seemed to have a good time last night, laughing and talking, getting to know each other. It's good to see you all start forming a friendly relationship. I see that Soojoo cooked breakfast for everyone?"

"Yeah, Soojoo noona's great."

"Thanks noona!" 

"Her culinary skills are daebak."

"Wait until you taste her tofu soup," Jiyong told the rest of the housemates.

"Don't oversell me Jiyong," Soojoo humbly answered, patting the back of Jiyong. Kim Taeyeon was quick to observe the comfortable relationship between Jiyong and the elder model. 

When did they meet? Who introduced them? Did they date? She wasn't in his life before we... parted... ways. So when did she come? Aish Kim Taeyeon, who cares? Why do you care so much. Hmpf.

Jiyong's eyes met Taeyeon, and she immediately turned her view away. . I forgot. Tofu soup is also Taeyeon's specialty. I didn't offend her, did I?

"Here are the results of last night's tally of the most interesting housemate, as voted by all ten of you. The top two winners will receive a special gift tonight."

"Wow!"

"Nice one!"

"What's the prize?"

"First place is Kim Yuna with 9 votes. Yuna-ssi, you are the only one who did not pick yourself."

(CLAP)

(CHEERS)

"Yay!"

"As expected!"

"I voted for you!

The humble athlete was clearly surprised, her jaw dropping and forming an O. She shook her head and said, "Me? I'm interesting? Anniyo! I'm boring. Please don't put this pressure on me."

Jiyong watched the cute 24-year old blush and humble herself. For the first time, he saw the talented figure skater in a different light. Strangely, Kim Yuna was... beautiful... in his eyes.

"But you're our national inspiration," Moon Geunyong said.

"We all just want to be your friend," actor Kim Soohyun declared, creating a lot of ooooooohs and aaaaaaaahs from the other housemate. "Yah, don't be malicious guys. I don't mean to flirt whatsoever."

"Whatever," Suzy muttered, chortling and rolling her eyes.

"It's okay Yuna-ssi, you are interesting in every citizen's eye, including mine," Kwon Jiyong also shared, putting as much grease in his words as possible. This greatly irritated Taeyeon.

What a playboy. Nappeun namja. If you don't have a death wish, don't dare toy with the heart of our nation's fairy.

"Kamsahamnida! I'll share the gift with everyone," Kim Yuna humbly said, standing up and bowing to everyone.

"Second place is G-dragon-ssi with 8 votes! Jiyong, you and one other female housemate are the only ones who don't want to be friends with you," Elder Yoo continued.

(CLAP)

(CHEERS)

"Cool."

"Also expected."

"I voted for you too bro."

"Noona, you didn't vote for me, did you?" teased Jiyong upon realizing that there was one single female here who didn't find him interesting.

"Yah! I voted for you, rascal. I'm scared of these other rascals' female fans," defended Soojoo, again patting the back of his head.

I'm sure it's Taeyeon. It's gotta be Taeyeon. Jiyong was suspicious, and he just simply gazed at Taeyeon, who was blatantly avoiding his gaze.

Shoot. Was I the only one who didn't pick him? Did I single him out AGAIN? Gaaaaaaaahd Kim Taeyeon, what a way to be conspicuous! The editors would surely put malice to this in the episode narrative. Taeyeon was silently panicking now. She knew how variety shows in Korea worked. They would put it in slow motion, add love songs in the background, put misleading captions, and write overreaching and presumptuous narration.

"We also want to be your friend bro," declared swimmer Park Taehwan, putting out a hand to the idol.

"Thanks all, I also want to be friends with all of you," Jiyong said, bowing and addressing each housemate. "Like Yuna-ssi, I'll share the gift with everyone."

"I can see that you are all tired and sleepy. I won't take so much of your time anymore. So I now present to you, your daily task!"

"That's more like it!"

"Hell yeah!"

"Gosh, what is it?"

"Is it difficult?"

Yoo Jaesuk then explained to the housemates their first ever daily task:

"We will test your partnership with your roommate today. As we saw that none of you entered the rooms last night due to your bonding sessions, we messed them all up for you. You will be given four hours from noon to make the best out of your bedrooms. You need to fix anything that's broken, add designs or fixtures that will beautify and personalize your space, unpack your luggages and fill the cabinets, make the bed, clean the floor and bathroom, shop for toiletries or furniture and accessories needed, and what have you. Each room is granted 1000 points to shop personalization and design in the catalogues located in each room. Four hours is very limited, so plan well, budget well, execute well, and partner up well. No one is to make any plans verbally, or make changes to anything inside the bedroom, before noon. Tonight, the Council of the Elders and the PDs will evaluate each room and pick a daily winner. Good luck housemates and goodbye!"

BLEEP. With that, the elder was gone, and the television was automatically shut off.

Jiyong worried. In the last ten hours, he and Taeyeon successfully managed to avoid each other. He was already relaxed into thinking that they could keep avoiding one another until their two week's roommate relationship ended. . Now we have to work together. 

"Whoah. Four hours?" said Kim Woobin.

"Shoot! The rooms are all dirty and messy!" announced Soojoo, checking their room.

"Now I regret bringing three luggages," Suzy muttered.

"You have three? Jiyong has five," Soohyun teased, pointing to the Hermes and Louis Vuitton luggages that were still situated outside their room.

"Seriously?" 

"Whoah."

"We should have slept last night. Now we can't sleep, or we'll oversleep," the quiet maknae of the house, actor Yoo Seungho, smartly deduced.

When Jiyong realized this, he caught his head with both hands and panicked. "Aaaaah it's dangerous for me to oversleep. If I fall asleep, can someone wake me up?"

"How hard is it to wake up hyung?" wondered Woobin, surprised at Jiyong's seemingly shallow dillema.

This made Taeyeon smugly chuckle on her own. How hard is it to wake up for Kwon Jiyong? Very. It'd take a fiesta band to wake his up. Aigoooo. You better not sleep and make it difficult for me, PARTNER.


---


LIVE STREAM CHAT

User: Yeah, GD is known to be a deep sleeper. Good luck to Taeyeon.

User: Is it just me or Taeng and G-Dragon haven't talked or acknowledged each other since last night?

User: OH YAH! Nice eye dude. It's like they're blatantly avoiding each other.

User: Hmmm, strange much? Why would they avoid one another?

User: Jiyong has now talked to each and every female housemate in the dining room, except Taeyeon, who by the way is obviously avoiding every space Jiyong occupies.

User: Look! Jiyong just went to the living room couch to sleep. Taeyeon has been sitting in that couch with Suzy since 6am, and conveniently, she got up and left for the dining room!

User: Do they hate each other or something?


---


THE HOUSE, 11:58 PM

After everyone has eaten the quick lunch that Park Soojoo prepared, the partners each entered their rooms to begin their participation in the task. Taeyeon, however, dreaded what was coming to greet hher. Her partner was absent from lunch. When she was left alone in the dining table, she decided to look for Kwon Jiyong. As expected...

Ugh, he really slept! This jerk. Is he trying to lure me in, making me wake him up?

She stood there, trying to think about what to do? Shout? Shake him? Leave him be? Taeyeon knew that doing the traditional acts of waking someone up wouldn't work on him. She also worried what this moment would look like for the PD and editors. Surely, they would put some malice on this awkward moment. 

I can't form a love line with Big Bang's leader. Why do we have to be roommates? God, this is such a dumb move. Why did SM agree to this? SM Entertainment was unaware of her previous connection with YG's king though. SM also would be in the blind about which housemates were invited. This was really fated, most likely.

"Hey unnie, the time starts now. You might want to wake your roommate up or you'll lose," Suzy advised from the entrance of their bedroom. Taeyeon just smiled and acknowledged the younger idol.

Oh no Kwon, you're making yourself look bad to the public. You might be disciplined for this. Remember? Lack of enthusiasm and participation is REQUIRED!

Make a decision now girl, wake him up in the manner you sure would work, or just leave him be. As she dreaded, one of the middle-aged male production staff entered the house and said, "Hey, you have to start making your room or your disqualified. And you might want to wake your partner up."

"Neh PD oppa."

Just freeze in your sleep and I will fix our room. Hmmmmmmpf. She finally decided, standing up and entering their room. It was a mess inside, like a storm or tornado just came. Can I really do this alone?

"Remember kids, all damages need to be fixed. All walls, tables and spaces must be furnished. Most importantly, your luggages and bags must be absolutely emptied! All things need to be transferred to the cabinets."

Does that mean I have to empty his luggages too?


---


LIVE STREAM CHAT 

User: This b*tch! She's not being a good partner. She didn't even want to wake up GD oppa! What the is her problem? 

User: Everyone and their mothers know that G-Dragon is a deep sleeper, so what is this doing ignoring him?

User: her, she knew Ji would be punished for not participating, and she still chose to leave him sleeping. She is a fake, plastic, mean, selfish .

User: This is a test of partnership. GD screwed up by sleeping, knowing that the task starts at noon. He knows more than anyone in the house that it would be problematic for him to sleep, so don't blame Taeyeon for that!

User: Sick and tired of VIPs blaming it all on Taeyeon. This is NOT her fault at all. Sones, where are you sisters and brothers?

User: Sone roaches are here. Prepare your bug sprays VIPs.


---


THE ROOM, 1:00 PM

"One hour down, three to go. Don't forget to place your orders for the furnishing and toiletries," Elder Yoo Jaesuk announced over the microphone whose sound system could be heard around the house.

Taeyeon jumped at the announcement. The best she has done was pick up the trash, clean the floors, wipe the cabinets, and empty her own luggage. G-Dragon's five huge bags were still unattended, the room still completely unfurnished. She decided to pick up the catalogue and browse for the decors and toiletries. Hers was easy.

Okay, time to shop. Wait, ugh, I have to worry about his towels, sheets and pillowcases too? How about his toiletries? Shoot. Right, I can do this.

Shopping for her own stuff was easy. She wasn't picky at all. She opted for Dior's bath, skin and face collection, but she could use anything. Jiyong, however, was the pickiest man Taeyeon has ever met. I know he only uses Gucci's aftershave and perfumed soap, Dolce's shower gel and bath salt, Chanel's shampoo for men and face wash... what else? 

She remembered everything, his every choice, his every need, his every want. Suddenly, she hated herself for remembering. Worse, she hated herself for worrying and panicking after she found out that 1000 points for shopping couldn't even afford one luxury aftershave cream. Jiyong couldn't get his pick. What now? Why are you so worried? He's a big boy. He just has to deal with acnes and some rash. Uhm... okay, I'll worry about shopping layer. IF he wakes up. She decided to let the man pick the generic brands for his personal hygiene. 

Now that she has ordered her personal stuff, some basic sheets and towels for them, and the rest of their basic needs, nothing was left but to touch the two Louis Vuitton luggages, one Thom Browne duffle bag, one Hermes hand bag, and two Dolce & Gabbana baggages. She stood up, faced the camera that was situated on the corner roof, and bowed apologetically to the invisible public.

"I'm sorry Kwon Jiyong. I'm sorry VIPs and the public. I'm sorry to his friends ad families. I'm about to open G-Dragon-ssi's bags without his permission. Please know that I'm doing this only for the challenge, and for no other reason at all. I hope you can forgive me. Hwaiting!"

Taeyeon began by unloading the small black duffle bag. It was too heavy for its size. Inside were not just a couple of shirts and scarves, but also...

Whoah, picture frames? 

There were tens of wall and table photo frames in his bag, and they were shots of people and animals that once warmed Taeyeon's heart. She remembered the memories, the moments, even if they happened eons ago. It was as if the happiness was just reachable, tangible, even if they were buried deeply years ago, compartmentalized at the hidden facets of her mind.

Kwon umma and Kwon appa look so happy, and Dami unnie has gotten prettier.

The lunches out with Kwon Dami, the dinners in with the Kwon elders, they flourished in Taeyeon's happy place, and she found herself laughing so much. Dami's dirty jokes, Kwon appa's war stories, Kwon umma's gossips, they ruled her mind and heart, and she smiled so widely. Those were beautiful memories, ones that provided her so much joy.

Omo, Gaho and Jolie have grown so much!

The two little pets she groomed, walked, hugged, bathed, cuddled, sang to sleep, they were now even bigger than she was. I remember their smell, their feel, their barks, their eyes, their mouths and tongues, Taeyeon remembered everything so vividly. First, she only felt joy at the nostalgia, but now she also felt longing, intense pain, and suddenly, the happiness vanished. Her happy place now became a sad place, one that brought her unmatchable sorrow. 

His group of friends have grown even bigger... She viewed the photo of what seemed to be his last birthday party. Everyone was wearing 80's costume, Jiyong had a beard and a long hair. Some familiar friends were there, like Xin, Soonhoc, and Mina. But the rest... they were strangers. Not all of them though. She considered them strangers, though she met them shortly before she and Jiyong... became... estranged.

He looks so happy and healthy and accomplished. That's... really great.

Kwon Jiyong was still friends with the very people that threw Taeyeon away from his life. That made her sorrowful. That made her remember the deepest of pains. That made her resentful. He was happy and dandy with the people who hurt her. He chose them, and that's why they were avoiding each other now.

Wait, don't cry Taeyeon! You can't cry for no reason at all. Taeyeon got a grip of herself. The tears were quicker than her mind or hands, because they rushed out. Did the cameras capture what photos she was looking at? Would the PDs notice she cried? Stop the tears Kim Taeyeon. Stop it!

The production staff noticed, and behind the scenes, some of the females even shed some tears. Taeyeon's emotional state at the sight of the photos moved them to tears. The idol was clearly hurt, suffering at the memories the pictures brought out. Later, the editors just have to zoom in what those photos were. This would be a great episode narrative. Only it would raise eyebrows and cause confusion for not just the public, but also the PDs, SM, and YG. 

Why would the images of the Kwon family and Jiyong's sharpeis move Kim Taeyeon to tears?


---


EPISODE NARRATIVE

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter