Chapter 2

The Only One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Did you pack your toothbrush?" Jo Areum said as she walked into her older sister's room.  

", you're right! I almost forgot!" Ara ran past her younger sister and into the bathroom. Areum's older sister was flying off to Japan for a year on an exchange training program her company had offered.

It would be the first time that Areum would be living without her sister and although the thought made her nervous, she knew how much Ara had looked forward to going.

How could she tell her that she didn't want her to go?

She just didn't have the heart to do that.

Ara came back into the room with her toothbrush and placed it in her suitcase before zipping it up.

"Well, I think that's everything." She said as she placed her last suitcase with the other three.

Areum snorted as she sat on her sister's bed, "Really? Are you sure you don't need a fifth suitcase?"

"Ha ha, very funny. I just didn't want to forget anything." Her sister said as she double checked her list.

"A whole year, huh?"

Ara collapsed on the bed beside Areum and stared up at the ceiling with a smile on her face, "Yeah. It doesn't feel long enough to see all of Japan."

Areum tried to fight the wince off her face. "I'm going to miss you."

Ara shot up and stared at her sister. The definition of 'polar opposites' in the dictionary should have a picture of the Jo sisters right beside it.

There weren't two people more different but there also weren't two people that got along as well as the two of them.

Ara had short sleek black hair that fell just past her chin. But her chic hair was often off set by her bright wardrobe. She'd have blazers in every colour but black and shirt and pants in every colour of the rainbow.

Areum had long honey blonde hair that went past her chest. It had a mix of brown, ash blonde and honey blonde. Most of her wardrobe was black, white, grey or leather. Any colour dark enough was in her wardrobe.

Ara had pale, porcelain skin. Areum had a natural, year round sun kissed tan.

In short, they looked and acted like ying and yang.

Areum was the quieter, 'colder' one out of the two of them. Ara was a few years older, but a lot of people thought it was the opposite.

Ara was innocent, bubbly and bright.

Areum was cold, intimidating and indifferent.

It was no secret that Areum was struggling in school as well. Even in university, where everyone was apart from their friends, Areum was still singled out a lot.

Ara was an alumni at Areum's school, a much loved one at that.

So when people found out that her younger sister was going to attend their school, everyone was expecting another cute, sweet, polite Jo sister.

Instead they were met with a girl who wore leather jackets,  biker boots, had a few tattoos, never smiled, had eyes that looked like they wanted to murder and was rarely seen speaking more than 3 words to her peers.

People refused to believe that they were related.

Areum never complained about her school life or ever acted like anything was wrong so Ara went about a year before she saw it with her own eyes.

She had gone to pick Areum up from university once. Ara got a scholarship so they extra money to let her live in residence but Areum declined the offer.

She'd rather commute.

When Ara spotted her younger sister's ash blonde hair striding out of class she was about to wave, to get her attention, when something amazing happened.

When Areum started walking, a path just split down the students. Everyone stepped to the side to give the emotionless girl a path to walk through walk through.

What surprised Ara more was Areum's reaction.

The girl didn't flinch nor did her steps falter, she just walked down the path, her head held up and her eyes set somewhere straight ahead, ignoring everyone's stare and whispers.

But Ara heard them clearly.

"I heard she got kicked out of her old university for sleeping with a teacher."

"A friend of mine apparently knows her and said she got expelled for punching a boy so hard in the face that he need to get plastic surgery."

"I heard that she was so scary that even the queenka at her old school was scared of her."

"I heard she was a member of a gang and Ara sunbae took her in and looked after her like a sister."

"Oh, that's why they're so different. Ara sunbae is so sweet."

She knew that Areum had a silent but deadly aura about her and if you poked the dragon, Areum could spit scalding words faster than anyone. But she wasn't anything like they made her out to be.

In fact, Ara constantly found that Areum was kinder and more compassionate than anyone she knew, including herself.

She was the kind of person that once she accepted you into her life, you would automatically become the most important person to her.

You just had to make past that initial gate.

When she had asked Areum about it, the girl just shrugged and said it wasn't a big deal, that kids were just like that to the new kid.

That it would all blow over.

She was pretty sure that over a year later, it still hadn't.

Which would explain why it seemed that Areum's heart looked frozen over.

But Areum wasn't the type to talk about her feelings unless she brought it up herself, so Ara had no choice but to drop it.

Ara frowned and put her arm around her sister, "Are you sure you want me to go? I still have time to call and drop out."

Areum lightly patted Ara on the back before standing up. "You're leaving in 1 hour and I'm going with you to the airport. That's final."

Areum walked out of her sister's room and into her own without another word. She sighed quietly to herself and sat on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter