Chapter 12

The Only One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jackson grabbed his sweater and headed straight for the door when Mark called out to him.

"If you keep randomly showing up at her house and work, she's going to think that you're some creepy stalker."

Jackson froze and cleared his throat before tossing his sweater on the couch. "Who said I was going to see her? I just wanted some fresh air. She's not that important, everything I do doesn't have to be related to her."

Youngjae smirked and walked into the living room, "Oh really? Then mind if I tag along?"

Jackson shot the boy a dirty look before rolling his shoulders back and walking away from the front door. "Never mind, I'll just stay indoors."

Mark and Youngjae shared sneaky smiles but Yugyeom just frowned as he flipped through the channels on TV while the rest of the pack lounged lazily around him.

"Shouldn't we be encouraging him to go after her?"

Youngjae scrunched his face up, "Naaaaaahhhhhhhhhh, this is way more fun."

BamBam smiled, "He needs a few obstacles in the way. It makes it more entertaining to watch."

Jackson's stood by the sink and chugged down a glass of water as he stared out the window. He was kind of annoyed that he was stuck at home, but then again, it's not like he wanted to see her anyways.

What would the two of them even talk about?

His head jerked up when he heard thunder crack loudly through the sky. This time it wasn't his doing, it was mother nature.

He frowned when he noticed that the rain was getting heavier and the wind was blowing viciously. It was probably in the negative degrees outside and he felt bad for any lone wolves that were wandering the area in this weather.

The conscious of a prince.

He closed his eyes and tried to calm the weather down but nothing was changing. He cursed under his breath and clenched his teeth and tried again, but if anything, the rail pelted harder and wind started to howl.

This was something that happened rarely, when the natural weather was too strong. Jackson's powers limited him from interfering too greatly with the ecosystem. He could make it snow in the middle of summer or  make it rain in a desert, but he couldn't do a lot to deter mother nature.

There were times when it'd be too warm and make it a little chiller, but if nature wanted it to be blazing hot or freezing cold, he couldn't do much about it. He could create and manipulate his own weather but not the natural, pre-existing one without passing out from over exerting his mind.

He shook his head, sadly, when the state outdoors didn't change and turned away, feeling bad for whatever poor soul had to brace the conditions.

Suddenly Jackson's eyes flashed a shocked purple when he was hit with a realization. This was around the time that Areum got off of work, her boss said that they closed every night at 10 which meant that she would be walking home.

Right now, in this weather.

And if he had learned anything about her in the short while that he knew her, it was that she most likely wouldn't have accepted a ride from her boss and was stubbornly walking by herself like the stupid little arrogant brat that she was.

"." He mumbled under his breath before racing out of the kitchen. He grabbed an umbrella a sped past his pack who watched him leap off their porch and shift in mid air, stunned.

Everyone gaped at Jackson ran off into the city with the umbrella between his jaws.

Jinyoung raised his brows and leaned back on his seat, "Well, that's interesting."

Stupid. Stupid ing human. Jackson grumbled in his mind as he pumped his legs through the forest, trying to speed towards the book store.

She's probably walking through the dark forest too because she's a ing idiot that doesn't know better than to walk around in the dark in this weather. God, why is she so freaking stupid?

An angry growl rumbled through his chest as the black wolf hit the edge of the town. He slowed down and stayed hidden in the trees as his eyes scanned the area. At this rate Jackson was positive that she would be drenched in the freezing cold water, trudging through the empty street.

She was probably going to get a cold because humans were weak, wastes of space.

He carefully poked his head out of the forest to get a better view of the bookstore. There was no one around the town and it seemed like most of the shops were closed. He stepped back into the forest, his fur plastered to his body with a shiny coat of water.

He started running in the direction of her house, his eyes on the road, to see if she was on her way home. He was so fed up at how burdensome she was. She couldn't even take care of herself and now he had to look after her like some parent strapping their infant child to a leash.

He started getting nervous when he remembered the boys who were circling around her the last time he saw her walking home. He wondered if they had bumped into her again and were trying to harass her.

He shook his head in annoyance. This wasn't his problem. He shouldn't have to bother himself with her whereabouts, he wasn't her babysitter. If she didn't know how to take care of herself that would her fault not his.

Just as he was about to turn around, his sharp eyes caught a hunched figure crouched down in the corner of a bus shelter surrounded by a bunch of plastic bags. He took a cautious step towards the person when he was assaulted by the scent of raspberries. His tail started swishing back and forth on its own when he recognized her.

He saw Areum shivering while wrapping her arms around herself and he fought the urge to roll his eyes. He wondered how many more clichés she had up her sleeve.

Great.

His mate was a giant baby.

-----

Areum was wringing the rain water out of her hair inside the bus shelter. Every Friday she'd go grocery shopping and since she had work, she had to go a little later. But when she left her house the weather was cold but dry but the minute she stepped out of the supermarket it was like a torrential ing downpour.

And of course she didn't bring an umbrella. 

So she dragged her bags of groceries and took cover in the shelter until the rain let up. But now that she was out of the rain, the chilly air started taking a toll on her. Her damp hair was hardening and her teeth were chattering from the cold.

She curled into a ball and closed her eyes, trying not to focus on the puffs of air coming out of .

She was so cold that the pads of her fingers were turning numb and blue and the tip of her nose was burning. Her body was trembling and all she could do was sway back and forth on her feet and curse herself for not wearing a thicker jacket.

"Are you seriously falling asleep here?"

Areum peeled her eyes open and tilted her head back to see Jackson standing in the opening of the shelter holding a black umbrella over his head. She had never been as grateful to see Jackson's stupid face as she was right then.

"Yah. What the heck is wrong with you? Why are you even out this late?"

She shot up on her feet to face but him, but the minute she stood up, she felt her head spin making her stumble dizzily. Jackson grabbed onto her and was surprised to feel how cold she was. He brushed the wet hair out of her face and scanned her worn out features, she looked a lot more fatigued than he thought.

Her eyes were tired and half lidded and maybe it was because she was so tired and so dizzy that when she felt Jackson's unnaturally warm body, she immediately shook his grip off her elbow and leaned into his chest with a pleased sigh.

Jackson stood frozen when she snuggled into his chest, she was so small that she tucked in perfectly. She pressed her fingers in between her and J

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter