#017 The Council

She's My Kryptonite
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jaejoong couldn’t help but feel nervous about the sudden information. The chairman of the Council is paying him a visit. He had a bad feeling about it and he couldn’t sit still. He talked briefly with the principal of the middle school and she relayed that the chairman was checking on the students. She even told him that the chairman seems to be clueless about the sudden kidnapping of some students of the middle school by the rebels. That information was supposed to put him at ease but it’s not even taking effect on him.

He knows what the chairman is capable of doing. He would never let the old man take over the school. Breathing deeply to calm himself, Jaejoong fixed his shirt then sat on his seat. Just as he was about to open some files, there was a knock on the door. He pushed the folder aside then cleared his throat. “Come in” he said as calm as he could be. The door opened and an old man with glasses on and with white hair stepped inside the room. Jaejoong stood and dipped his head in a bow. The old man nodded in reply.

“What brought you here, Mr. Chairman?” Jaejoong asked, gesturing the other man to take a seat. The older one sat on the couch facing Jaejoong. “Me? Ah, I was just visiting to check if everything’s okay. As the chairman of the Council which is responsible for looking over Alice users, it’s just a small task”

Jaejoong just nodded as if he was agreeing to what he just said. “Of course that’s not surprising from the Council but…you could’ve sent someone to check on the school instead of you coming here personally. It must be an inconvenience for you”

The older man chuckled then shook his head. “It’s not an inconvenience at all. I want to check the school personally. But…it seems like you don’t want me to come here, Jaejoong?”

Jaejoong felt like his throat was blocked with something when he heard that. He chuckled as he clasped his hands together. “No, of course not. Why would I not like you to come here? After all, you’re the chairman”

“Let’see…maybe because you don’t like me or the Council? But…I don’t think you’re like your brother”

Jaejoong’s brows furrowed. “Pardon?”

“Nothing. I was just thinking of your late brother. He’s such a gifted and skilful student. It’s such a pity that his own friend took his life”

Just what is your business in here? Why are you here? Jaejoong asked himself as he looked at the older man. The chairman was staring back at Jaejoong and he noticed the sudden change in his facial expression as soon as he brought up his brother. “I’m sorry. I should’ve not brought up that matter” the chairman apologized.

Jaejoong smiled as he composed himself. “It’s fine. After all, it’s all in the past”

The chairman nodded then shifted his position. “It’s good to hear that. Speaking of which, I heard that Mino has formed a group of rebels and their target is the Council and this school. I just want to tell you that the students must be safe. They could get kidnapped by them and we couldn’t risk any of the students, right?”

Jaejoong swallowed the imaginary lump in his throat then nodded. “Yes, we’re doing our best to protect the students. Don’t worry”

“It’s nice to hear that. If that’s the case then I should be going. I think you’re doing a great job so I could leave now. I just dropped by to have a glimpse of the school” the old man said as he stood and nodded. Jaejoong also stood and bowed. As soon as the chairman took his leave, Jaejoong plopped down on the couch.

But…I don’t think you’re like your brother… Nothing. I was just thinking of your late brother. He’s such a gifted and skilful student. It’s such a pity that his own friend took his life.

Jaejoong clenched his fists as he scoffed upon remembering the chairman’s words. A sudden feeling of anger took over him. He slammed his hands on his desk before leaning back on his seat, shutting his eyes as he tried to calm himself. “You’re the reason why my brother’s dead. You’re the reason why Mino’s out there. You destroyed many lives…you old geezer”

The middle schooler Jaejoong was excitedly humming to himself while combing his hair. A bright smile crept on his face as he put down the comb. “Ya~ Someone’s looking good today~” Junsu exclaimed upon seeing his little brother dressed properly. Junsu walked towards him then ruffled Jaejoong’s hair, messing up his newly comb hair.

“Hyung!!” Jaejoong complained as he tried to fix his hair once again. “Ya, are you going to a date? Why are you dressed like that?” Junsu asked as he looked at his brother from head to feet. “Of course I want to look good when I visit Miyoung. I want her to see her handsome uncle” Jaejoong replied. Junsu laughed out loud when he heard that. His brother is really something.

“She won’t recognize you. She’s still a newly born baby”

Jaejoong pouted then scratch the back of his neck. “Really? Then at least I’m handsome and presentable when we visit Miyoung and Heesoo noona not like you who looks like a grandpa even if you’re just 24!!!”

He quickly ran out of the room because he knew that Junsu will not let go of his jokes. He’s right. His older brother chased him and messed with his hair. An 11-year old kid and a 24-year old new father chasing each other is such a sight. Jaejoong never imagined that it was the last time that his brother would play like that with him. He never had an idea.

Months passed and there were obvious drastic changes in the school. Jaejoong had nightmares after witnessing a classmate die in their harsh Alice training. He would always hug himself in a corner of his room. Most of the times, Junsu would go to his room and check on him. He hated how the Council treated Alice users like him like objects that they could just dispose when they see them as incompetent or a threat in the system. They were all required to wear Limiters to control their Alices. TOP suffered a lot at that time. With an Alice that seems to be a threat to the Council, he was often isolated. Jaejoong felt bad for his friend.

One day, as he was walking to his class, he heard some students talking to each other. “Are you sure? Minhyuk, the shadow Alice user? But…isn’t he teacher Mino’s brother? Why would they do that to him?”

Jaejoong stopped then leaned towards where he was hearing the conversation. “That’s the reason why I was very surprised. I know that he’s always sick but…he’s really skilful. How could they do that to him?” another voice replied. Jaejoong immediately ran to the faculty room. As he was about to open the door, he heard someone yelling inside.

“TELL ME!! WHY MY BROTHER!!?? WHY?!! TELL ME!! YOU SON OF A !!! TELL ME!!!”

His heart was pounding really hard. He pulled all his courage then peeped inside. Mino was grabbing Junsu’s collar. He was crying like a mad man and his brother’s face was very pale. He was just shaking his head with a sad and sorry expression. “Sorry…I did my best but the chairman…he…” Junsu did not finish what he wanted to say, lowering his head.

Mino punched him hard that Junsu fell on the ground. Jonghoon rushed to help him when Mino kicked him. The faculty room was a mess and Jaejoong was shaking terribly from fear. “MINO!! STOP!! IT’S NOT JUNSU’S FAULT!!” Jonghoon yelled at Mino when he saw that he was kicking Junsu.

“I TOLD YOU TO LOOK OUT FOR HIM FOR ME WHILE I’M AWAY!!! I ASKED YOU A FAVOR!! HE’S MY ONLY FAMILY AND NOW HE’S GONE!! DID I ASK YOU A VERY DIFFICULT ONE?? IT’S JUST A DAY!!” Mino kept on shouting at Junsu while punching him. Junsu was just lifelessly receiving all his punches. “It’s just for a day…Is that really hard?? Junsu…I trusted you…you bastard…” his voice got softer. He was crying hard.

Mino suddenly stood then looked down at Junsu. “I will show you what kind of monster the Council have created. I will make them pay. I’m warning you to get out of this school if you want to live. When I come back, I will make everyone pay. Everyone. I will show the Council what they’ve made of me”

His tone was very different. Jonghoon and Junsu knew that he was not joking. Mino’s eyes were different. They were not the usual ones that used to sparkle whenever he joked around with his little brother. His eyes were carrying a murderous aura that made them both shiver. “Mino, please don’t do this. We will change this school. We will let the chairman be punished. Everything will be all right…Mino” Junsu tried to persuade his friend but it seems to be late to change Mino’s mind. Jonghoon tried to talk with him but he just shut the two of them.

Mino walked out of the faculty room. Jaejoong hid himself out of fear. He never imagined that the kind, outgoing and fun teacher that he had could say those words. It freaked him out.

After two weeks, Mino returned. He did what he promised. Many died…including Jaejoong’s brother-Junsu. 

 Jaejoong opened his eyes and looked to his right where a frame was placed. It was his picture with his brother. “Why? Why did it have to be you? Why not that old man? He’s the one who made all these things happen. Why?”

He suddenly felt a sudden pain on his arm. He rolled up his sleeves and let go of a deep sigh when he saw the black mark rea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter