#013 To The Rescue

She's My Kryptonite
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hana was all fidgety while waiting for the others to come out. Her grandpa decided to take them all to fish at the near river. She still couldn’t absorb what just happened last night. Kyungsoo knows that she likes Kai and that he’s really anticipating what will happen next between the two of them. She felt better though that she was able to clear up her mind and sort out her feelings. She was thankful that Kyungsoo was cool with everything but she’s been intrigued by what he said about liking a girl inside his heart more than her. Realizing those things, she thought she really had no idea of what kind of people they were. She only knew little things about them.

“Good morning” Kyungsoo greeted her with a warm smile as he walked towards her. “Oh, good morning too” she replied, nodding. “Did you sleep well?” his tone was not that of a teasing one, he’s rather curious. Hana couldn’t decide of how to answer that. She was thinking of whether he was asking if she was thinking about Kai the whole night that she didn’t even had a short time to sleep or that if he’s just asking that as a simple question to let time pass. Her brows furrowed as she fell into a deep thought. “Am I asking a very hard question right now?” Kyungsoo chuckled as he pushed her forehead with his finger.

Hana frowned in return, making Kyungsoo laugh his heart out. “Are you teasing me?” her natural aegyo came out as she whined like a child. “Why would I tease you? I was just asking if you had a good night sleep” he said in defense. She just stared at him with those ‘i-don’t-believe-you’ eyes. He sighed then pocketed his hands. “I told you already that I will just take my seat as an audience. I will not do anything. If you want to keep it as a secret then I will not meddle”

She still had that look on her face even after his explanation. He sighed once again then crouched to get a handful of snow. Without even saying anything, he placed it on top of her head. Her eyes widened as the cold reached her spine. He was not laughing at all. He was just staring at her with a poker face. She gritted her teeth then roughly took a handful of snow. She threw it towards him, making a clear hit. She was the first one to laugh out loud. “You’re laughing?” he asked then threw snow towards her.

Just like kids, they were having their snowball fight in the morning. “Do you want to see something cool?” he suddenly asked then gestured for her to go near him. He showed his palm to her with a drop of snow. The snow turned bright as it floated in the air. It formed a small crystal like figure. She was beyond fascinated that she forgot how easy it is for Kyungsoo to do that since his Alice is Ice.

Not far from them, Kai was just staring at them with arms folded in front of his chest. He thought that they looked like they were having a good time together. He couldn’t do what Kyungsoo was doing even if he wants to do it just to impress her. He grunted then turned around just to be surprised like hell when he saw Hana’s grandpa staring at him.

“Are you going to come with us with that thin clothing? You’re going to freeze to death” the old man asked as he pointed at Kai’s clothes. They’re not as thick as clothes in winter should be. “I’ll be okay. My Alice is fire so I’m going to be warm even with these clothes” he replied, trying to sound as polite as possible. The old man shook his head then headed somewhere. When he returned, he was holding a jacket. “I-I’m really okay with these-”

“Listen to me kid” the old man cut him off as he hit Kai’s forehead lightly. “I don’t care what your Alice is. You need to wear this to keep you warm. What would I do if you suddenly catch a cold?” he asked as he helped Kai wear the jacket. Kai felt a really weird feeling. Being cared for is really making him feel something weird. “I won’t catch a cold and-”

He was cut off once again when the old man glared at him. “This kid really is stubborn. And call me grandpa”

Kai’s eyes widened in surprise. “W-What? G-Grandpa?” he repeated in surprise. Just by thinking of addressing someone like that makes him somewhat happy inside. The old man’s eyes narrowed. “Then what are you going to call me? Grandma? This kid really…” he replied sarcastically.

“Let’s go. Go grab your fishing line” the old man commanded as he made his way past him. “Y-Yes…grandpa” he stuttered then nodded. Kai rushed to grab his fishing line then followed the others immediately.

Walking to the river, which was of course frozen, Kai was just quietly looking at Kyungsoo and Hana who were walking together while talking about something. Yumi was not around because of some family matters so he really felt like he was an outcast. “We’re here” the old man’s voice took his attention. The river was totally frozen. They began making some holes on the ice. It was Kai’s first time to do such thing and he was just clueless as a kid. He was standing beside the old man who was instructing him things to do. Kyungsoo and Hana already made a hole and their fishing line was already in.

“Are we really going to catch fish here? Aren’t the fishes frozen?” Kai suddenly blurted. The old man just chuckled then continued making a hole. Kai noticed that he was having a hard time so he offered to help him. He put his hand on the ice and blue flames appeared. As the ice melted, he continued making the hole. “There” Kai mumbled in satisfaction as the hole was made perfectly. He felt a pat on his back. “Good job” the old man praised him. Kai felt a warm rush of blood to his cheeks. He always wanted to hear those words. He lowered his head to conceal his shy smile.

Hana was staring at them and she caught that smile on Kai’s smile. It’s the second time that she saw him smile. The first time was at the cafeteria when Jiho greeted him. He really does have a captivating smile. “Can’t take your eyes off of him?” Kyungsoo suddenly asked. He was holding his fishing line and was concentrating on catching one. “W-What are you talking about?” she retorted in embarrassment as she stomped her way beside him. Kyungsoo looked at her with a meaningful smile. “You don’t need to lie. Your face screams that you’re head over heels for him” he commented.

She quickly touched her cheeks. “S-Shut up” she retorted, stuttering. Kyungsoo just shook her head as he chuckled.

“OH! I GOT ONE!” Kai cheerfully exclaimed as he pulled his fishing line. A small fish was wriggling on the end of it. He had this genuine smile on that made him look like an innocent kid who was out for fun. The old man was clapping his hands as he walked towards him. “That’s it! Good job Jongin!” he also exclaimed, making Kai flustered from hearing his real name in that manner. He handed the fishing line to the old man.

An hour passed quickly as they were all concentrating on catching some fish. Everytime Kai caught one, he would exclaim like he’s really surprised. Hana saw a new side of him-a childish and innocent side. Kyungsoo, now and then, would nudge and but she would just hit him in the arm for him to stop. Kai would sometimes catch the two of them being too close and he would feel bitter and all. He’s just getting jealous and he doesn’t know what to do. Talk about misunderstanding.

As they were walking back to the house, Kyungsoo, who has a very considerate heart and playful sense, offered to help the old man with what he was holding and even walked beside him, making Kai and Hana walk together in awkward silence. She cleared then pointed at the pail of fishes that Kai caught. “You’ve caught many. You’re pretty good in fishing” she stated.

Kai looked at the fishes that he caught as he smiled in satisfaction. “Of course I am good” he boasted. There she goes again. She cursed as she tore her gaze from his face. He’s been smiling more than ever he did before. Silence took over. Kai was contemplating on whether he would speak first or not. She was just staring in front of her, not daring to look at him because he might catch her this time. “I envy you” he suddenly muttered.

She looked at him with furrowed brows, not sure if what she just heard was right. He looked back at her with a wry smile on his face. “You have a grandpa who’s very kind” he stated, not looking away. For a moment, she thought she saw Kai’s eyes glistened. She remembered what Kyungsoo told her about Kai’s father and sister; that Kai’s having a hard time approaching them because of what happened in the past. Kai was the first to look away as he sighed.

He suddenly grinned. “But he must be having a hard time to have a granddaughter like you who sneaks to look at people taking their baths”

Her face turned red, just like tomatoes. “W-What?!” she asked in disbelief. Just as she was able to erase the thought of seeing half of his body , he’s letting those thoughts come back. “Why? Am I not right?” he asked, turning to her with a teasing grin plastered on his face. He really has some serious mood swings! What is wrong with this guy? From where did this guy come from? She asked herself.

“You’re not!” she retorted, screaming as she walked past him.

Kai just sighed as he looked at

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter