Chapter 4 : A Journey of Self Discovery

Out of the Darkness

A long overdue update ^^;;;;; Sorry again!!! First Kris left, and then when I finally got over that Jessica left/got kicked out/whatever she's not in GG anymore and broke my heart all over again plus I got sick so HERE WE GO let's try this again and hopefully the next update won't take me 6 months!!!!!

 

Chapter 4 : A Journey of Self Discovery

 

Following her long overdue confession, Krystal found herself feeling…strangely okay. She called Kris and apologized, and he was predictably cool about the whole thing, really just glad that Krystal had finally come to her senses. Then she was finally able to meditate, and that significantly improved her spirits. And once she had managed to clear her head, she realized that Yoona was right. Jessica had spoken to her about this—or had tried to, but Krystal had always found a way to cut her off, or change the subject, unwilling to listen to what she could see only too clearly. Her big sister had grown up and fallen in love, and Krystal was not the only person Jessica couldn’t live without anymore.

It hurt to realize that, but once Krystal admitted that she was hurt, she found herself able to deal with it, and even look past it. She had to admit, Jessica could have done a lot worse than Tiffany. As far as girls went, Tiffany was very sweet and loving, and when Krystal watched the two of them she could see how much they cared for each other. She knew Tiffany would take good care of her sister.

And so one night as they were getting ready for bed, Krystal turned to her sister and asked, “Do you want to room with Tiffany now?”

Jessica was so shocked that she dropped her toothbrush on the floor. She hastily spit the toothpaste from and gave Krystal a wide-eyed look. “What?”

Krystal cleared . “Well I mean, you are a couple. I just thought you might want to…you know, be with her.”

“I…I mean…well yes but, you’re my sister.”

“But she’s your girlfriend.”

Jessica sat down in a nearby armchair, her face the picture of incredulity. “Do you want me to room with her?”

Krystal frowned. “Answer my question first, do you want to? If you’re staying here to spare my feelings then you don’t have to worry.”

But Jessica suddenly looked very worried. “No, I’m here because I want to be, not to spare your feelings.”

Realizing that she had said that wrong, Krystal hastily explained herself. “No I mean, I realize that over the past few years I’ve been really against—no, just unwilling to acknowledge what you have with Tiffany and I want to move beyond that. I know she means a lot to you and I want to support you.”

Understanding dawned on Jessica’s face and she smiled. “Thank you, that means a lot to me.” She got up and sat next to Krystal, on the bed. “I love her a lot. I…” She giggled and blushed. “I want to marry her, someday.”

Krystal felt like she’d been punched in the gut, and fought not to show it. “Can’t say I didn’t expect that you would. I’ve known you’d end up together since I was…ten, or something.”

Jessica took Krystal’s hand and smiled kindly. “Krystal, you’ll always be my sister. You’re irreplaceable, I’m not with Tiffany because I’m looking for another you.”

“I should hope not,” Krystal laughed, “Because for one thing, there’s only one of me, and for another, that would be really freaking weird.”

Jessica laughed, and Krystal laughed too, but she quickly started crying. Jessica hugged her tightly and rocked her until she calmed down.

“J-just promise you won’t leave me again,” Krystal whispered.

“Never!” Jessica swore, “I could never leave you again.” She pulled back, and Krystal saw that she was crying, too. “I can’t live without you, you know. Other Guardians have siblings, and they forget about them after a while, but it’s never been like that with you and me. Even the Tree of Life knew we couldn’t be without each other, and brought us back together. We’ll never be apart again.”

Krystal wiped her eyes and sniffled a little, and Jessica pulled a tissue from her pocket and wiped Krystal’s face.

“I hope that was clean,” Krystal whimpered.

Jessica laughed. “It was, I promise.” She kissed Krystal’s cheek and gave her another hug. “I have a lot of friends, but I only have one sister. And since I loved you first, it’s always you who’s first in my mind. Tiffany won’t take your place, and someday when you fall in love, that person won’t take my place.”

That brought up an interesting thought. “Jessica…if I do fall in love, will you be worried?”

Jessica’s eyes filled with tears again. “Of course. But I’ll remind myself that just like I didn’t stop loving you, you won’t stop loving me.”

“What would you be worried about?”

Jessica smiled. “That whoever they are, they won’t know you well enough to love you the way they should. That they’ll take you away from me, that we won’t be as close. It’s funny, I’m not worried about that right now…I guess because, like you said, Tiffany and I have been obvious for a long time, but you…I mean, I think I know, but I’m not too sure. I don’t think even you know what you want yet. Maybe that’s what worries me the most.”

Krystal inched closer and rested her head on Jessica’s shoulder, and wrapped her arms around her sister’s waist. “I’m not sure what I want. But whatever happens, I’ll never leave you either.” She hesitated. “Actually, Jess…there’s something I should tell you.”

Krystal sat up and took her sister’s hands. “The first night you were gone, I tried to run after you. I snuck out, and I took off, and of course since I was like, two years old, I got lost immediately. I laid down and fell asleep, and I dreamed…” she gulped. “Actually, it wasn’t a dream. Somehow the Tree of Life found me, and it talked to me. It asked me where I was going, and I said, ‘To find my sister.’ And I told it that if I couldn’t be with my sister, we would both die. And I didn’t know how I knew it, I didn’t even know what death was, but I knew it would happen. The Tree told me that I should go home, that it would make sure I saw you again. I did go home, somehow, but I was sick for a week after. Then one morning I woke up, and I was better. And when I sat up, I found my mark. It wasn’t there the night before.”

Jessica stared at Krystal with wide eyes. “I was sick too,” she said, her voice shaking. “That first week, I was so sick I couldn’t move. I didn’t even tell anyone that I didn’t feel well, I just kept saying that I wanted to see you. And after a week I suddenly got better, and somehow I knew that…that I’d see you again.”

Krystal was stunned. “You never told me.”

“I didn’t even think to! Once I heard that you were a Guardian too, I was so happy I didn’t think about anything. Why didn’t you tell me?”

Krystal gulped again. “Honestly…I thought it was normal. I thought every one of us had dreams like that. But I’m starting to realize that it’s not the case, and the more I think about it the more I wonder if maybe, I wasn’t supposed to be a Guardian at first, but the Tree made it so when it saw how much we needed each other. The Tree says there are no accidents, that I was fated to be a Guardian no matter what. But the timing…that was unpredictable.”

Jessica and Krystal stared at each other, both stunned by their revelations, and both confused.

“Kris even said so,” Jessica said suddenly. “He said, you were so stubborn, so strong-willed, that you called the Tree’s magic to you. Maybe he was right.”

“What would that even mean?” Krystal asked.

Jessica was quiet for a long moment, then she shrugged. “I don’t know. Maybe it doesn’t mean anything. You’re still a Guardian, one way or another. I don’t think we’re meant to dwell on this.”

And Krystal really didn’t want to talk about it anymore, if she was being honest. “Okay. Let’s keep this between us then, okay?”

Jessica nodded and placed a hand over her heart. “It’s our secret.”

 

Tiffany hadn’t been sleeping well—or really, much at all. Every night she would sneak out of the room she shared with Yoona, and go down to the beach to harvest pearls. She even began diving for them at dawn, and she would get back to the hotel room and collapse into bed just as everyone else was waking up. Yoona never commented on her wet hair or the fact that she always smelled like salt in the morning, but Sunny was a different story.

After a week of her secret nighttime activities, Sunny cornered Tiffany and demanded to know what was going on, and why she always looked so tired. Tiffany sighed, and took Sunny up to her room, where she pulled a small bag of pearls out of her drawer and dumped it on the bed.

“Wow,” Sunny said, staring at them with wide eyes. “How many did you find?”

“Fifty, in the last week,” Tiffany said tiredly. “And I don’t want any of them. I’m going to give them away. You can have first pick, I guess.”

Sunny stared at her. “What are you looking for?”

Tiffany blushed, and covered her cheeks. She hadn’t said it out loud, not yet. “Jessica…found a pink pearl, and gave it to me. And while she didn’t exactly say it, I know she meant it as…as an engagement gift.”

Sunny’s eyes went impossibly wide. “She asked you to marry her?!”

Tiffany grabbed Sunny’s hand. “She held the pearl over my ring finger and said, ‘It would make a nice ring, don’t you think?’”

Sunny squealed loudly, “Oh my gosh, congratulations!!”

The two of them hugged, and then Tiffany cried, “But now I have to find one for her, and I just can’t!” She gestured at her pile of pearls. “They’re nothing special! And I really wanted to find one on my own but…I can’t go on like this.” She sighed heavily, suddenly wanting nothing more than to lay down and sleep for a week to make up for the one she lost. “I’ll have to call in a reinforcement.”

Sunny looked at her curiously. “Who?”

Tiffany the little pearls. “Well, my family was rich, you know. We were friends with a number of jewelers. I just hope the one I’m thinking of can help me out.”

 

Nana glared at Sooyoung from under a curtain of her own hair, narrowing her eyes as Sooyoung giggled at the TV. She slapped Sooyoung’s leg. “C’mon, pause it already, you promised we’d leave ten minutes ago!”

Sooyoung waved a hand at her. “Yeah, just ten more minutes, I swear!”

“You’ve seen this movie five times this week!”

“We’ve gone swimming every day, I’m tired, just a few more minutes!”

Nana growled under her breath, and suddenly launched herself over Sooyoung’s lap, grabbing for the remote. She instead knocked it off the bed, and went scrambling after it. She managed to get her hands on it before Sooyoung could even get her bearings.

“Hey!” Sooyoung cried, grabbing for the remote while Nana held it over her head, “Give that back!”

“No way,” Nana crowed, “Come get it!”

Sooyoung jumped and grabbed—and missed.

“Missed me, missed me,” Nana sang, “Now you have to kiss me!”

Sooyoung rolled her eyes, but then leaned over and kissed Nana square on the mouth.

They both froze, and the remote fell to the floor as Nana’s fingers went limp.

“Oh,” Sooyoung said. “Wow. I…um…”

Nana frowned. “Well, that was a lousy kiss.”

Sooyoung gasped indignantly, “Excuse me?!”

Nana stepped right into Sooyoung’s personal space and wound her fingers into Sooyoung's hair, and when Sooyoung’s jaw dropped slightly in shock, Nana swooped in and kissed her.

Sooyoung’s heart was about to beat out of her chest. She closed her eyes and pressed closer to Nana, her hands coming to rest on Nana’s hips. She stepped forward, and Nana grunted as her back hit the wall.

“Oops,” Sooyoung said breathlessly, “Sorry about that.”

“Forget it,” Nana said with a grin, “This is so long overdue.”

 

Sooyoung and Nana were late to dinner, and they came downstairs with visible hickeys on their necks and shoulders.

Amber leapt up from her seat and shrieked loudly, pointing at the two of them. “I CALLED IT! VICTORIA, YOU OWE ME FIFTY BUCKS!!”

Sooyoung yelled, “Wait, you bet on us hooking up?”

Amber nodded, dancing on top of her chair, “I bet you’d hook up on this vacation, and I woooon!” She pointed at Victoria, “IN YOUR FACE!”

Sooyoung and Nana both rolled their eyes, but they were blushing slightly.

Victoria grumbled into her crab soup, “Ugh, lovey-dovey kids couldn’t hold it in.”

Jinri snorted. “What does it matter anyway? None of us have any money.”

Amber and Victoria both froze.

“Huh,” Victoria said with a grin, “I guess the bet is invalid then.”

Amber shook her head. “Oh no way, I’ll think of something else, just you wait!”

“Why’d you bet money in the first place?” Sunny asked, “Be like me and bet on chores.”

“What chores?” Jinri asked, “We don’t do anything!”

All twelve of them seemed to realize the truth of that at once.

“Damn,” Hyoyeon said, leaning back in her seat. “I mean cooking, yeah, but…like laundry and cleaning, we all do that stuff on our own…sort of.”

“I haven’t touched a vacuum since we left,” Yoona said. “By the time we get upstairs the sand usually falls off.”

“We wash the sheets,” Tiffany said, “But like, that and clothes is about all I ever clean.”

Luna sighed heavily. “I’ll miss this laziness when we go home. How long have we been here, anyway?”

“A month?” Nana guessed.

Victoria shook her head. “Hate to burst your bubble, but it’s been two months already.”

Hyoyeon gasped, “It’s been two months and we haven’t gone out on the sea at night yet?! We are going to fix that right away, tonight!”

“Seconded!” Tiffany cried, leaping to her feet, “Let’s make some snacks and drinks and get going!”

Victoria stood up and pointed her fork at everyone. “First. Eat. Dinner.” She growled.

Everyone sat down promptly.

“I won’t have you all devouring the snacks in the first five minutes, then complaining about how hungry you are,” Victoria continued. “I know how you kids behave.”

Everyone ate quickly, and Victoria sighed as they all left the dirty dishes in the sinks and swore to wash them eventually. Rice was piled into containers and fish was sliced for sashimi and sushi, then packed into iced coolers (courtesy of Jessica). They gathered bags of chips and some fresh picked vegetables, and more iced coolers with all the alcohol they could fit. They’d gathered an extensive collection, after two months of exploring the town.

They hauled everything down to the beach and onto their boat, one of the few ones that was big enough to hold all of them and still ran. Amber was named designated boat-driver, since her gift would enable her to sense dangerous sandbars and reefs even in the dark. She didn’t mind, she never drank much anyway. The sun was just starting to set as they ventured out.

Tiffany and Yoona both had cameras, and they went around taking pictures of the sunset, as well as asking everyone to pose with the view. After Tiffany had taken Krystal’s picture, Krystal told her to go stand with Jessica, so she could take a picture of the two of them. Tiffany blushed furiously and whispered ‘Thank you,’ and Krystal ended up taking a dozen pictures of her sister and her future sister-in-law being ridiculously cute. Once the pictures were done, Jessica handed Krystal a drink and told her to have fun. Krystal ended up standing by Yoona, listening with half an ear while she talked, but really watching Jessica and Tiffany.

“You’re not still jealous, are you?”

It took a moment for Krystal to realize Yoona was actually talking to her. “What? No, I’m not. They’re…really cute, actually.”

Yoona grinned at her. “Oh, finally realized it, I see.”

Krystal nodded. “Yeah…you know, I never really saw how much they care about each other.” She hesitated. “Maybe I am still jealous.”

Yoona waved her hand. “Nah, not the way you think you are. When you fall in love like that, you’ll understand.”

Krystal shrugged. “Maybe I won’t fall in love. Yixing, Kyungsoo, and Minseok didn’t.”

“Not with someone from their Generation, but maybe they will one day.”

Krystal sighed. “That’s a long time to wait.”

“It is,” Yoona agreed, “But we’ve got a lot of time for it to happen.”

Krystal nodded. “I guess. So, are you falling for anyone?”

“I don’t know,” Yoona said. “Honestly, I’m not really focused on romance right now. Dating doesn’t appeal to me.”

Krystal was surprised. “But you’re always reading romance novels and sighing over dashing leads in movies! You’re such a romantic person, I just thought…you’d be wanting it for yourself.”

“I do,” Yoona said, “But…after we find a way to get rid of the Darkness.” She shuddered. “That thing creeps me out, and it’s all I can think about. We have to face that thing one day, one day soon. Like, when this vacation ends. We’ll go back, and then it’ll be time for a reality check.”

“The guys have a plan,” Krystal said confidently. “It’ll work out. They won’t let us get hurt.”

“I wish I shared your optimism,” Yoona said, “But I’m just so worried about the whole thing.”

Krystal knew that. “You’ve always been the type to worry over things, even things that are way in the future or unlikely to happen. You always think the worst.”

But Yoona shook her head. “I think realistically. Growing up with Sehun and Lu Han as my mentors, it was hard not to. Just ask Amber.”

Krystal frowned. “Cool as a cucumber Amber?”

“She’s not cool,” Krystal said. “She acts like she is, but she internalizes a lot of things. Even if she is stressed, you wouldn’t know it unless you shared a room with her. She talks in her sleep, when she sleeps at all. And if you look at her real closely, you’ll notice that when she’s quiet or by herself, her jaw is clenched shut, like she’s biting her tongue. It’s a stress thing.”

Krystal had never noticed such behavior, but Yoona was Amber’s sister, and Amber was much older than her. Amber had been as much Yoona’s mentor as Tao and Suho had been Krystal’s. Krystal was struck by a sudden thought—was everyone really that stressed out about the Darkness? Was it just her who…well it wasn’t that she wasn’t worried, but she wasn’t up at night worrying about it. Was that just her personality? There had to be someone else who, like her, just wasn’t worried about that yet.

The sun began to dip below the waves, and Hyoyeon yelled for everyone to keep an eye out for the green flash. Krystal watched the sky turn pink, orange, and dusky purple, and wondered how it could be possible that millions of miles away, there was a planet that was frozen in time while a dark force leeched the life from every living creature around it. Maybe the reason she wasn’t stressed was that she didn’t think about it all that much.

“It seems so surreal,” Krystal said out loud. She let her wings slip from under her shirt. “I’m going to go for a short flight.” She handed Yoona her drink, stood up, and launched herself from the boat.

When she was in the air, Krystal always felt like she had left some heavy part of herself on the ground. She felt weightless, not just physically but mentally. Nobody could have any worries when she was up in the sky, feeling the cold air whip around her skin and through the feathers of her wings. And she wasn’t worried, even when she did think about it. Weirded out, maybe, but afraid? Stressed? No, not her.

She flew sharply to the right, away from the boat, and stared down at the water. At once she was seized by the aura of something far bigger than herself, and the Tree’s familiar presence wrapped around her mind, blinding her and making her lose track of everything.

‘I have always been able to reach you easier than the others, my child. My stubborn girl.’

“You may not have noticed this, but I was flying here. Am I in the ocean right now?”

‘No, dear. Remember, I have my own way of doing things.’

“Right. So, why can you reach me easier than the others?”

‘Because your soul is very powerful. All Guardian’s souls are, but yours especially is. You know yourself well, but the truth is you only know a fraction of yourself. You hold so many secrets, so much power, and it’s important that you find it.’

“How am I supposed to do that?”

‘Meditate, Krystal. Look inside of yourself. There is something special about you, something waiting to be discovered.’

“Can’t you just tell me what it is?”

‘That would be taking the easy way, besides you don’t need my help. You can find it on your own. But I will tell you this—the human body is not easily understood. Childbearing especially is mysterious. Sometimes a woman starts off with more than one child in her body, and one is lost. Before you were born there were two souls clinging to your mother, but only one received a vessel.’

“Jessica,” Krystal said. “Then…we were supposed to be twins?”

‘That is correct. And while your soul could have chosen to go to another body, instead it waited for the chance to join its twin.’

“Oh wow. That’s…that’s something.”

‘Indeed. You are something special, Krystal. You’ll find out why, soon. Believe in your own power.’

Krystal returned to herself, and for a second she forgot she was flying and started to fall, but she quickly righted herself. “Stupid omniscient Tree,” She muttered, “I could have ended up six feet under thanks to that stunt.” She flew back to the boat, where Yoona and Jessica were waiting for her with worried looks on their faces.

“You okay?” Jessica asked, “It looked like you lost air for a second there.”

“I did,” Krystal said. She considered telling Jessica about what she now knew, but decided to wait until they could be somewhere more private. She barely understood it herself, she needed more time. “I was just lost in thought, I guess. I’m okay now.”

Jessica grinned at her. “Good. We’re heading back now, it’s starting to get late.”

Krystal spent the whole time back to shore thinking of ways to tell Jessica what she now knew. She wished she could call her mother and ask if she’d known she was supposed to have twins, but truthfully Krystal didn’t even remember her own address, and she doubted her parents still lived in the same house. Short of going back to her hometown and asking questions, there was no way to contact them. Besides, she had no reason to doubt the tree’s words.

‘We were supposed to be twins.’

Krystal was reeling. She kept imagining how different things could have been—she and Krystal could have gone together to the sanctuary, could have learned together, could have reached maturity together. In a way, Krystal felt robbed of an entire life. At the same time, she believed that things happened the way they did for a reason.

They reached shore far too quickly in Krystal’s opinion, and she was still unsure of how to tell Jessica what she knew. She departed the boat and as her feet touched sand, she felt an arm slip into hers and turned to find Tiffany smiling at her.

“Can I ask a favor of you?”

Krystal nodded, and Tiffany’s smile widened. In a low voice she said, “I’m meeting someone tomorrow and he’s going to bring me something for Jessica. I’d like you to come with me to meet him.”

By now Krystal had heard about Jessica’s stunt with the pink pearl, and she could only guess that Tiffany was looking to return the favor. She smiled and whispered back, “I’d be happy to go with you.”

Tiffany barely held back a delighted squeal. “Okay, meet me in the lobby at 9 AM. Thanks, Krystal, this means a lot to me.”

Krystal was happy to help, but she knew that she couldn’t tell Jessica what she knew right now, not when it was obvious that she and Tiffany were about to get engaged.

Krystal excused herself from hers and Jessica’s room to make a phone call back home. Chanyeol answered and they talked for a while about how the trip was going, and then he offered to go get Kris.

“Actually, I’m looking for Suho.”

Chanyeol took it in stride, and Suho answered the phone shortly after. “What can I do for you, dear?”

“I…I want to ask you about water. See, since I’ve been here I’ve had a lot of…moments of clarity, and they’ve all been connected to water somehow. I was by the beach or flying over the ocean, and then when we got here I got dunked under the water and I had the strangest moment of like, super-clarity. I don’t know how to explain it. But my gift is flight, so why is that I’m being so drawn to water?”

Suho chuckled. “Don’t worry, I suspect that this has little to do with gifts and all to do with you being a Guardian. Water is a powerful thing, it’s the source of life. You would be surprised how many things can live without light, but almost nothing lives without water. So many creation myths, all across the universe, begin with life coming from water, somehow. And you’re not the first Guardian to have a moment that was connected with water. Kyungsoo was once meditating in the ocean and he had a vision of the future, the generation of Guardians after yours. I could get him for you, if you would like to talk to him about it.”

“That’s okay,” Krystal said. “That’s already a big help, thank you. Um, there is one more thing…today the Tree told me that Jessica and I were supposed to have been twins, but something happened and only Jessica was born, and my soul stuck around to wait for a body. Have you ever heard of something like that happening?”

Suho was quiet for a few seconds. “Not about souls, but about twins…there is a theory about lost twins that suggests more pregnancies than first suspected are meant to be twins, but one ends up being lost before it can be detected. Did the Tree tell you anything else?”

“To meditate,” Krystal sighed.

“I suggest you listen to that advice. I know it may not seem like much sometimes but meditation is a powerful tool for us. Call us if you have any more questions.”

Krystal thanked him, said goodbye and hung up. She didn’t sleep much that night, her head was too full for her to get much rest.

 

 

 

The plot thickens!!!!

A very wonderful reader has made fanart of one of the early chapters of At World's End, when Chen and Kai are kids and fighting over Kris' winged snuggles, and it is absolutely ADORABLE and you all need to go check it out here!

ALSO another very wonderful reader has shown me another fanart of Chanyeol getting his wings and you can all check it out here! (be warned this one has images of blood but if you read AWE you should hopefully remember what happened when Chanyeol got his wings)