Meet the brother

From the top to the bottom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After an hour or two, Jiho and I headed back towards our neighborhood. He had been a bit quiet today, as had I. But it wasn't awkward at all. We just walked in silence, looking around, listening to different voices, glancing at each other once a while. Whenever I turned to look at Jiho, he glanced back at me comfortably, not trying to avoid my eyes. That was something I really liked about him.
   “Where are we going?” Jiho asked when we started to get closer to our houses. I couldn't go home. Not today. I just shrugged.
   Jiho sighed and glared at the familiar neighborhood. “I could tell your mom that you're staying at my place?”
   “I don't want to trouble you...”
   “Seriously?” Jiho's face turned red from annoyance. “After all that I've done today, you still think you're trouble to me?”
   I took a step back and examined his face. He was serious. “I-”
   “I happen to know that you don't have any other place to go.”
   “Hotel?”
   “For real...” Jiho half sighed, half chuckled. “Alright fine, I'll drive you there then. And driving costs a lot of money...” he mumbled, trying to look pitiful.
   I rolled my eyes and sighed loudly. “Fine! But I'm not sleeping in your room fyi.”

Jiho's mother's reaction was a bit same than my mom's, when she saw my face. She asked all kinds of questions but I left all the details untold, like that my mom had cheated on my dad and that the kid who had punched me was Jackson Wang, son of the guy who had slept with my mom.
   “That's horrible! Of course you can stay over!” Mrs. Woo said and embraced me. I awkwardly replied her hug and patted her back. “Thank you.”
   “Are you guys hungry? I could make some egg and pasta?” she asked. She looked very tired behind that wide smile of hers. I turned to Jiho. “Are you hungry?”
   He shrugged. “Are you?”
   I grinned, and before I had said a word, my stomach spoke for me. Jiho snorted and shook his head. “Move.”
   I took a step to my side and let Jiho walk past me. “Mom, you should take some rest. You look terrible.”
   Mrs. Woo glared at her son. Jiho smiled slightly and disappeared into the kitchen. Mrs. Woo looked back at me. “Whatever you did to him, keep it up girl”, she said smiling widely before disappearing to the other direction. I couldn't help but grin at her. Then I followed Jiho to the kitchen.
   “Are you always this helpful?” I asked while taking a seat next to the oven where Jiho was turning on the range. He snorted and took something from the stand.
   “No, I'm trying to find out what's wrong with me today”, he replied.
   “Right”, I chuckled. “Well I hope it's nothing serious.”
   “Me too”, Jiho said walking to the fridge. He pulled out a bag of ice and wrapped it in a piece of clothing. Then he walked to me and gently placed the package against my puffed up face. “But I hope it's permanent.”
   “Well I kinda miss the cocky guy I met a month ago...” I pouted. I wasn't lying. I really missed the sarcastic quarrels between us.
   “Well that can be arranged”, he quickly stood up straight and went back to cooking his eggs. “But hey, that would be nice from me to be something you miss, right?” he seemed proud of his ability to notice such things. I just shook my head. “Just, go back to cooking.”
   “How 're you feeling?” Jiho asked after five minutes of silence. He took the noodles and poured them into the boiling water. Then he looked at me. His eyes were filled with that same care and warmth as earlier. I felt a shiver run down my back.
   “Are you cold?”
   “I'm good, just hungry.” My stomach was even louder than before in the corridor. Every time it made noises, Jiho chuckled as he continued cooking in his own little world. “I can hear that.”
   “What about you?” I asked out of nowhere. “What's on your mind?”
   “Nothing's on my mind”, he answered quickly. “I'm living in the moment.”
   I nodded silently, suddenly remembering the thing Jiho had said about things I didn't know about him. I went deep into my thoughts, thinking what would those things be. What else didn't I know about him?
   “What's on your mind?” He asked curiously. “You look like you're planning to murder someone.”
   That's what everyone always told me when they saw me deep in my thoughts. I guess I really looked like that while thinking. “I'm just thinking...” I started, but then went back to my thoughts.
   “Hm?” Jiho breathed and glanced at me.
   “What don't I know about you? You told me there are lots of things I don't know about you? Give me an example.” My hands were cold from holding the freezing package against my face. I placed the wrapped bag of ice on the counter and blinked my eyes. Jiho chuckled and took chopsticks from the counter. Then he grabbed a long noodle from the cattle and slurped it all down at once. “Tasty,” he muttered out. 
   “Don't try to avoid it, just talk”, I said more seriously. “You said-”
   “We'll talk about it later, okay? Now you should eat and rest, your head must hurt”, Jiho said and took plates from the stand. Then he grabbed two pairs of chopsticks and placed them on the table. “Now shut up and eat.”
   “Welcome back Zico...” I mumbled and sat to the table. Jiho smiled smugly and sat to the table in front of me.
   “You said you missed me?”
   “Yeah.”
   “Well here I am.”
   “I remembered you differently”, I sighed dramatically. Then I grabbed the chopsticks and started to wolf down the noodles and eggs. Jiho just laid back and gasped. “Yah, leave some for me!”
   I nodded and emptied the whole portion. We didn't talk about Jiho's mysterious things that I didn't know. We didn't talk about anything to be honest. I was too hungry to talk, too busy to eat, until I felt like I could explode in any minute. After I was done eating, I just sat back and looked around. The kitchen was quite stylish, as everything in the house. Including the people in it. Everything was perfect.
   “Your house is beautiful”, I said trying to built up a conversation. Jiho just nodded, not even trying to come up with something more. Okay, he was extremely quiet today. Not slightly, extremely. Jiho was always the loud one, the one that craved for attention. Now he was happily quiet, not even trying to built up a conversation, because he didn't need to. He was perfectly comfortable with the silence.
   “We have a spare room upstairs, you can sleep ther

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter