1..

Same Love

It wasn’t like Mark didn’t trust Jackson, he did. He had just married him. He loved the man from the bottom of his heart. Although, letting Jackson pick his wedding song, could quite possibly be the worst thing he’d ever done. He was so convinced he was going to end up dancing to the thong song that he’d pretty much just given up hope. Jackson loved him, but Jackson wasn’t exactly the most romantic person, he didn’t exactly know what to do about romance. Mark was sat talking to guests, they’d just eaten the wedding meal, but Mark was now talking to Jackson’s dad – who he’d previously thought had hated him, when his son came out and then quit fencing, finding it hard to stay on the team. He never told Mark why he’d quit, but it didn’t take much imagination to guess. Mark sent a smile over to Jackson who was sat with his brother and his wife talking about the wedding, Mark looked back at Jackson’s dad who was complimenting the wedding, Mark smiled more as Jackson came back over and took his seat next to Mark, giving Mark a quick kiss. “I love you” Jackson said quietly. 

“I love you too Jackson.” Mark smiled a little at him. Jackson got up and pulled Mark up and they walked towards the dance floor, Mark looked at Jackson as they stood there, the whole wedding hall going quiet. Jackson and Mark stepped closer to dance together, and Mark held his breath, he was afraid of what this was going to be. He smiled as Jackson took his waist, he laughed a little as he pressed against Jackson. “I swear Jackson if this is the thong song I’m going to kill you.” Mark said, leaning against Jackson and whispering it to him. 


When Same Love by Macklemore came on, Mark thought he was going to punch Jackson. But Jackson was holding him close and he realised listening to the lyrics it meant a lot to Jackson. He rested his head on Jackson’s shoulder, despite being taller than his husband. He smiled as Jackson held him tighter, it wasn’t a conventional song but it was them. It was them in so many ways. Mark felt Jackson’s hold tighten on him. They’d struggled so much in their relationship together, they’d hit so many brick walls because of being gay. Mark looked at Jackson and smiled, mouthing I love you, before giving him a kiss. 

Lines about acceptance, made Mark remember when Jackson came out, he remembered when he finally told his fencing team that Mark wasn’t his friend but his boyfriend. He looked at his husband, and it reminded him of everything he’d given up to be in this place right now. He loved Jackson, and their sacrifices to be together were worth it. His husbands muscular figure a reminder of the life he used to lead. Mark had left his job when they’d found out he had a boyfriend and made comments. It had taken them a long time to get Jackson’s dad to warm up to the idea that his son was gay, and had a boyfriend who he loved. 

The ending lines of Love is Patient, Love is Kind, made Mark remember how much they’d both been there for each other, the time when Mark had come home in tears because of what his boss had said to him. When Jackson quit fencing, he’d gone distant. He was hurt and he was hurt badly, and Mark just had to wait, he had to wait for Jackson to want to open to him. They had no one else for a while and they had to have each other’s backs and it made Mark proud to see them getting married, to see them dancing together in front of the people that love them and love them for all that they are. 

When the song ended Mark noticed that Jackson was crying slightly, they just held onto each other, after people clapped for their first dance, but they didn’t move. It was such a momentous moment for them both, the song explaining most things about their life together. Mark pressed a kiss to Jackson’s cheek. “It was perfect baby.” He said quietly, before whispering the same thing in Cantonese. Jackson just held him tightly, eventually letting go and then they smiled at their guests and encouraged them to dance. Mark held Jackson’s hand tightly, this was everything he wanted, everything he needed, to be happy. It didn’t matter what they’d had to do, to fight for their love, all that mattered was that right now they were together and they were happy.