Happy Birthday~!!!

SURPRISE!!

“Noona~” – Niel walks casually, approaching his girlfriend who is sitting in the canteen with her friends during recess. He puts his arms around his girlfriend’s shoulder and pulls her to sit close to him.

“Jagiya~” – Minsoo follows Niel behind and sits beside his girlfriend. He pecks his girlfriend’s cheek.

“Ugh... Really?! Do you guys have to show that lovey-dovey acts in front of me?!” – One of the girl protests, receiving giggles from both couples.

 

Not long after that, some girls can be heard screaming – no, squeaking or whatever you want to call it – when 4 boy students come in to the cafeteria as well. They are pretty popular in school because of their pretty and handsome appearances. Not to mention that they are also rich and rule the school. Nope, they are not F4. They consist of 6 members, actually. The 2 members have already seated with their girlfriend while the other 4 are still queuing for a food. Even though they are rich, they want to be treated just like ordinary people. They don’t want to be looked different from other students there.

 

“Chanhee oppa… Here… I made a lunch for you… I hope you want to eat this…” – a junior approaches one of them and hands him a lunch box. “So that you don’t have to stand in line and wait too long for your lunch”

“Thank you. I’ll eat it with my friends. Thank you too for your concern” – He receives the lunch box while giving his ‘killer smile’ to the girl. Of course, it makes the girl shrieking as she feels Chanhee’s hand touches her fingers.

“Tch… What was that?! Really?!” – Chanhee can hear that faint voice coming from the table near the window. He smiles and walks there.

“Then makes me some lunch, Jung Yoori” – he sits next to Yoori.

 

Everyone in the school knows that Chanhee likes Yoori except for Yoori herself. But once again, almost everyone in the school knows that Yoori has a crush on Byunghun, one of Chanhee’s friends. Chanhee knows it too. It breaks his heart but what can he do?!

 

“Never. If I want to make a lunch, I’ll give it to Byung—“

“Awwww~~ So sweet~~” – Yoori’s friends, Yoomi and Sina say in unison. Yoori turns her head to them in annoyance.

 

She sees her friends got an invitation from their boyfriend, to watch a musical – kind of double date. She envies them. If only she can take Byunghun’s heart, she might be got the invitation as well. She makes a sigh while looking at the couples. At that time, Byunghun sits across her. He looks at Yoori – who is busy envying her friends – and smiles a bit after taking a peek at the couples.  He munches on his food while looking at Yoori’s envy face. He smirks.

 

“Envying them again, Yoori?!” – Byunghun says without looking at Yoori, still concentrating on his food. It makes Yoori ‘wakes up’. She’s slightly blushing.

“No. When did I?!” – She denies it while looking down, hiding her suddenly hot cheeks.

“You are cute” – Yoori literally chokes when she heard Byunghun said that. She even lift-up her face to look at him. She sees how Byunghun smiles at her. Her heart races a beat.

 

It’s been 3 years since they know each other. But today maybe is the most special day for Yoori since Byunghun smiles sincerely at her for the first time. Byunghun never shows his smile to anyone of them except for his close friends. The Byunghun Yoori knows is cold, mysterious, un-approachable, chic and silence.

 

Thanks to Sina and Yoomi, Yoori got the chance to know and befriend with Byunghun. On their 1st year, Yoori and Byunghun was classmate but they never had a chance to know each other – Byunghun was just like to disappear whenever he wanted. The moment when Yoori ‘studied’ Byunghun’s behavior that time, it made her like him. From curiosity, it bloomed into crush. She liked to see how mysterious Byunghun was. She was searching everything about him even looking for his information but never got the chance to talk to him.

 

On 2nd year when Minsoo and Yoomi became a couple, automatically Sina and Yoori joined the group. Yoomi introduced Minsoo’s friends to them and that’s the beginning of Sina and Niel’s relationship. And for Yoori, it was the beginning of talking to him and befriend to him. Byunghun acknowledge Yoori but they rarely talked to each other. Until one day when suddenly Byunghun overheard Yoori’s frustration over him – she told it to her friends – Byunghun started to ‘see’ her and Yoori doesn’t know that. For her, Byunghun is still the same cold Byunghun.

 

When Byunghun knew Yoori’s heart for him for the first time, he acted weird. He would always make a distance – which was he already build it before – from Yoori. On the other hand, Yoomi and Sina were helping Yoori to be closed with Byunghun. No response from Byunghun and it hurt Yoori’s heart. Then, one day, Yoori told Yoomi and Sina that she is tired of showing him her affection towards him which was useless. She told them that she wanted to give up on her love towards Byunghun. She felt that Byunghun never saw her. It looked like Byunghun locked his heart for a love. That’s when Byunghun overheard their conversation. He was hit by Yoori’s words. It’s true that he locked his heart to find a ‘new’ love after being dumped by the girl he loves the most. He changed. He looks at Yoori most of the time and tries to be nice to her. It works. He can forget his past-love and little by little, he finds Yoori is attractive in his eyes. Yoomi and Sina know that there’s a change in Byunghun’s heart and they are happily helping both to become closer. But for Yoori, Byunghun is still the same and she still wants to forget him.

 

“Hey, what do you guys wanna do this weekend?!” – Changhyun asks out of the blue.

“We’re going to a musical performance!” – Yoomi waves the ticket Minsoo’s gave a moment ago.

“We do the same!” – Sina shows the ticket as well.

“A Double-date?!” – Changhyun asks in annoyance, feels he is being forgotten by the couples.

“Jealous?!” – Chanhee elbows Changhyun while smiling. “Wanna go with me?!” – He continues.

“Hyung!! We have an appointment to see our dance instructor this weekend!” – Jonghyun cuts Chanhee and Changhyun.

“Ah! Right! I forgot that, sorry! But hey, we can bring Changhyun with us and let’s see a movie after that! It won’t be long though. Byunghun-ah, wanna come with us?!”

“Uhhh… I guess not. I have some business to take care of. Sorry”

“What a pity~ Okay then. Hmm… How about you Yoori?! Wanna join??”

“Uhh… Well, maybe yes. I don’t have any plans though”

“Yahoooo~~!! Noona will be with us!!” – Changhyun jumps here and there, receiving a glare from people in the canteen.

“Uhh… Sorry to interrupt the fun, but I guess Yoori can’t come with all of you” – Byunghun says casually.

 

Every ears and eyes are now focusing on him. Why Yoori can’t come with them?!

 

“Yoori will be with me” – receives a shock by Yoori. “ALL DAY LONG” – he continues.

 

Yoori’s face is so red just like a tomato. She doesn’t know what to say. She is frozen there. All she can do is just thinking deeply in her mind, “What is wrong with that guy”, “I hope he is not sick”, “Is this a date?” and something like that.

 

“But you said you have some business to ta—“ – Minsoo asks him with a curious tone.

“Yes! And Yoori involves in it” – Byunghun answers that easily.

 

Byunghun makes an eye-contact to Yoori and wink while smirking. Yoori feels that her heart is stop working right now. She turns her head to Yoomi to ask what is happening with him and Yoomi just shakes her head. Yoomi doesn’t know. Sina doesn’t know. The boys don’t know. Only Byunghun knows but it would be awkward for Yoori to ask him.

 

“What a cute pabo” – Byunghun mumbles but loud enough to be heard by Yoori. He is smiling like crazy that day.

“Final words, Jung Yoori, I’ll pick you at 7PM this Saturday, okay?! See you, guys!” – He walks out from the canteen, leaving so many questions for his friends.

 

“WHAT THE HELL?!” – Yoori speaks up in the end. “TELL ME THAT HE IS SICK! WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT BASTARD?!”

“Yoori! I think…” – Sina speaks as she thinks of something.

“YOU THINK?!”

“I think Byunghun is asking for a date” – Sina looks at Yoori in horror.

“BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! IMPOSS—“

“No! I think the same too!! Byunghun is actually asking you to be his date!!” – Yoomi joins in.

“YA!! How could he?! Something is wrong with him!!” – Yoori palms her face.

“Believe it or not, we are agree with Sina and Yoomi noona” – Jonghyun pats Yoori’s back.

“No way”

“Believe it that way, Yoori. You should be glad he is finally opening a door for you!” – Sina moves her seat to be next to Yoori.

“But…”

“No buts… We want you to be happy too and this is a good opportunities given by himself! He is opening his heart for you!” – Yoomi also sits next to Yoori, hushing Jonghyun who sits there before.

“Why suddenly?!”

“Ask him then! Ask him on your date!” – Yoomi holds Yoori’s hand.

“Remember to dress-up nicely, Yoori! We will be watching!” – Sina holds Yoori’s other hand.

“How?! You two are going to have a double-date! Bleh!”

“Just you wait!” – Sina smirks to Yoomi, signaling something.

 

Saturday afternoon has come. Yoomi and Sina are going to their double-date while Chanhee and Jonghyun are going to their dance class. Yoori is preparing herself to go out with Byunghun to she doesn’t even know where. Byunghun is already on his way to go to Yoori’s house.

 

“Not fair. This isn’t fair noona~!!” – Changhyun complains on the phone.

“Ssshh! Only you can do this for us, Changhyun! We are counting on you!” – Sina speaks on the other line.

“We will buy something delicious for you later, Changhyun. So please, report everything to us. Okay, my cutie dongsaeng?!” – Yoomi tries to persuade Changhyun.

“Noonaaaa~ All of you are having fun while me, I’m spying on Yoori noona. This isn’t fair!” – he still complains.

“Yoo Changhyun! Do it or you will get beaten by me!” – Minsoo threatens Changhyun.

“HYUNG!! (MINSOO!!)” – Yoomi’s voice can be heard on the phone. Changhyun can hear Minsoo groaning, gets beaten by his girlfriend. “Serve him right, noona. He always use violence towards me”

“Then do it or you will get it from me!” – Yoomi sounds frustrated. “OR ME~!!” – Sina says that while smiling.

“FINE! You two are way more scarier than Minsoo hyung. Just don’t forget my present!” – he surrenders.

“That’s our dongsaeng. Okay, we must go inside now. Report everything, okay?! Bye!”

 

With that, Changhyun puts his phone inside his pocket and back to peek on Yoori who is waiting for Byunghun. Yoori wears a sleeveless one-piece purple dress. She looks beautiful in that dress. Changhyun takes a picture of Yoori who is standing near her window and send it to Yoomi – Sina.

 

15 minutes has passed, Yoori can sense that Byunghun’s car is approaching her home. She looks nervous. This is the first time for them to be alone without the others. Byunghun gets off from his car. He wears a leather jacket with black wife-beater inside it and a jeans trouser. He looks handsome with his shade. He knocks on Yoori’s door. A second later, Yoori opens the door and they see each other. Yoori’s heart races a beat when she sees how handsome and cool the man before her eyes.

 

“You look … beautiful” – Byunghun removes his shade to have a better view of the nervous girl in front of him.

“You too. I mean, you look handsome” – Yoori shows her nervousness.

 

Byunghun smiles and then takes Yoori’s hand, holds it and pulls it so she can walk side by side with Byunghun to his car. Changhyun doesn’t miss the moment as he takes more pictures of them inside his car. Byunghun opens the car for Yoori. He is such a gentleman. By that, they are heading off to the place Byunghun has reserved for them. Not to mention, Changhyun’s following them behind.

 

Yoori got shock when they arrived in the place. It is the most expensive restaurant ever that she has dreamed to have a dinner there with her boyfriend someday. She can’t believe that Byunghun knows this place. More shocking when there’s no other customers except them in the restaurant. Byunghun reserved the place for themselves for the whole night. He knows that Yoori likes the view outside the window there, especially at night. The views there are so beautiful.

 

The waiter guides them to their table, which is near the window. Yoori walks in with awe. She is looking around the restaurant while Byunghun is smiling behind her – watching her cute reactions. She almost falls down when she hits one of the tables, but Byunghun catches her quickly, prevented her from falling down.

 

“Thank you” – Yoori shyly says.

“You’re welcome” – Byunghun smiles to her.

 

They are now seated on their table. Byunghun tells the waiter that he already ordered the feast ahead. The waiter then leaves them alone. Silence. No one is talking. They look awkward. Yoori mostly look outside, enjoying the views while Byunghun is nervously looking at his watch.

 

Then, the waiter is back with their appetizers. Byunghun smiles to Yoori and let her taste the food. Yoori’s eyes rounded as she tastes how delicious the food is.

 

“Whoa~ This is so delicious! Have a bite, Byunghun!” – she says it unconsciously.

“I know. Have more, Yoori” – Byunghun smiles, enjoying Yoori’s satisfied face. “Here, take some from mine”

“No… No… Thank you. You have to eat too” – Yoori smiles to Byunghun.

 

When the main course was served, they already feel comfortable each other, so they are laughing and talking non-stop. Changhyun who is spying inside his car, looks happy too when he sees Yoori laughs with Byunghun. He reports everything to Yoomi and Sina who feel relieved that their friend can talk to Byunghun comfortably now.

 

“Can I ask something?” – Yoori asks Byunghun in the middle of their dinner.

“Sure” – Byunghun answers her while cutting his steak, not looking at Yoori.

“Why suddenly you take me here? I mean, we are not that close and we rarely talk to each other. You seem close to Sina and Yoomi but me. You can ask them to accompa—“

“They have their own boyfriend so why should I?”

“Bu— Wait a minute, do you take me here out of pity?!” – Yoori’s voice change in annoyance. “Because I don’t have a boyfriend?!”

“No. I have my other reason. Could you please not think negatively at me?! I heard you in front of the canteen too. It’s kinda hurt my heart though. But, well, just wait a little bit and I’ll give an explanation you want. Just… wait, please?!” – Byunghun holds Yoori hand tightly.

“Sorry. Okay…”

“Now, finished-up your dessert” – Byunghun still throws his smile to Yoori perfectly.

 

Yoori keeps replaying Byunghun’s words. His heart hurt because of her answer?! Does it mean that he really asked her to be his date and he really is opening his heart for her?! Yoori can’t swallow the ice cream she just ate properly. Can she hope for his love again?! Will she get the chance now?? She takes a peek at Byunghun who just finished-up his ice cream. He looks just like usual. In her eyes, he is still chic and mysterious.

 

“May I excuse for a moment, Yoori?”

“Oh… Sure… Go ahead”

 

Yoori sits there silently. She is still thinking about Byunghun’s answer while looking outside. Changhyun who is still spying – while munching on his bread – looks shock when suddenly he sees Byunghun sits in front of the piano there. Yoori doesn’t recognize it yet. She is still busy with her mind. Changhyun takes the pictures again.

 

*DING*

 

The sound makes Yoori turns her head to the piano in front of their table. The next thing she knows, the lights are going off. Slowly, the lights are going back but only on the spot where Byunghun sits right now.

 

“Sa-rang-hae gu-mal-eun mu-eot-bo-da a-peun-mal…” (I love you – those words are more painful than any other words) – Byunghun starts singing. Yoori covers her lips with her palms as she is shock to see Byunghun sings for her. No. She is moved by Byunghun’s chosen song (Lee Seungchul – My Love).

 

“Na ddo han-beon neo-reul oe-chi-myeon-seo My Love… (I’ll shout out your name once again and say my love) Neon deud-ji mot-hal sa-rang-han-dan nae-mal, My Love… (You won’t be able to hear when I say I love you, my love)” – Byunghun finishes his song.

 

He faces Yoori and smiles. One of the waiter brings a bucket of flowers to Yoori and as Yoori receives it, Byunghun takes over the mic once again saying, “Jung Yoori. Please don’t give up on me. Keep liking me just like you always do. So that I can say, do you want to be my girlfriend?!”

It gives totally a mental breakdown to Yoori. She doesn’t understand any single thing that he did in front of her tonight. She is frozen there. She can’t say anything. She only looks at Byunghun in hope that she can find an answer of her questions in him.

 

“You must be asking why suddenly I make this confess as well. Let me explain everything from the beginning. I knew that you like me but I made some distance between us. Your attempt to get my heart was … fine. I do fall for them that I decided to build a wall between us because I’m afraid that I would hurt you. You knew that I had someone in heart as well but you didn’t give up and that moved me. Until one day, I heard you talking with Yoomi and Sina that you are tired of having a crush on me. I heard you saying that you were trying hard to make me forget the girl that dumped me and make a change in me, my heart. Once again, it moved me. My heart was fluttering while listening to you. Then, you also said that I’m just hard as rock that doesn’t want to open my heart for someone else. It hit me hard. You’re right. I thought that the only girl in my life was her but I was wrong. From that time, I always have my eyes on you. I watch you. I destroyed the wall. But I don’t have any courage to be more closer to you. The feeling I have for you just developed day by day as I see you. I see you envying Yoomi and Sina. The moment I see that, I’m thinking of how to make you mine just like Minsoo hyung made Yoomi his and Niel made Sina his. Little did you know, Yoomi and Sina know my feeling towards you. That’s why Yoomi and Sina never agree with you to forget me. Then I came up with this idea. I don’t want to waste my time so I guess with confessing to you right now will be the best choice. And why I chose this day and place?! I knew from Yoomi and Sina that you’ve been dreaming to come here with your boyfriend. I want to be that boyfriend. And… well, is that explain everything?!”

 

Yoori cries after listening to Byunghun’s long explanations. She feels happy but also sad that she doesn’t even know that Byunghun also likes her. She thought that her love is just an unrequited love. But the table has turned now. Byunghun receives her heart. Now, it’s her time to give him an answer.

 

“Promise me that you won’t hurt me or my feelings? Promise me to make me smile everyday? Promise me to never cheat or remembering your past love? Promise me that you will always protect me?” – she says between her tears while smiling at him.

“Thank you, Yoori!” – Byunghun runs down the stage just to hug his new love. “I promise you!” – he kisses Yoori’s lips.

“Now, you haven’t answer why you chose this night. Why tonight?”

 

Byunghun once again smiles at her and gives her a peck on her lips. He runs to the piano once again and starts to play the notes. Yoori once again cries. She doesn’t believe what she heard and saw. He knows everything about her.

 

“Happy birthday to you~ Happy birthday to you~ Happy birthday dear Yoori~ Happy birthday to you” – as he sings, there is a cake prepared for her. “Happy birthday, Yoori”

“Thank you so much, Byunghun. Thank you so much. Oh my goodness, Byunghun thank you!” – Yoori cries, holding on her knees. Byunghun helps her to stand again.

 

With Yoori’s request, she blows the candle together with Byunghun. She feels so happy tonight. Everything seems complete in her life. She has a caring boyfriend now and she couldn’t ask for more than this. She is glad that she gets the love she wanted. This is the best birthday gift she ever received.

 

Changhyun feels the atmosphere as well. He is screaming inside his car while calling the couples. He is happy to see his noona can get her happiness. Yoomi and Sina are also shrieking on the phone. They are talking incoherently as they are so happy that finally Yoori is having her happiness – while Minsoo and Niel are smirking each other.

 

“Happy Birthday, love”

 

-THE END-