Masks

BLANK

After my father's over taking his anger out on me, he orders to be alone with Woohyun and Sungyeol. I try to oppose saying it was me who asked Woohyun to leave but if I piss him off even more it will be worse for both of them. I look at them from the corner of my eye and they nod slowly before walking out with my head lowered.

My mother is waiting for me outside the studio, she hugs me with so much strenght that it hurts. This is what I was waiting for, not to yelled at for not getting the deal. I gulp down the lump forming in my throat and hug her back

"are you okay?" Concern is clear on her tone as she rubs my back.

I simply nod because if I were to talk I would break to cry.

"thank goodness Woohyun stop that horrible man"

"And Myungsoo" I say to myself, the thought burns my pride a little but I'll have to thank him later.

A muffled sound coming from inside the office startles me. I can perfectly picture.woohyun or sungyeol crashing against a wall.

I clench my fists until I can feel my nails buring in the palm of my hand.

"Come, sweetheart. You need some rest" my mother places her hand on my shoulder and guides me towards my room.

She must have been right. As soon as I close my eyes, my lids feel heqvier than usual and I find myswlf dreaming again.

This time there's a child, a boy, wearing a red coat. He seems lost in a luxurious building, I try to approach him but he cant hear ne or see me. He starts to walk down the hall and I unconciously follow him.

"Are you lost too?" He asks to someone "whats your name?"

"Ami" a girls voice sobs.

I gasp as I see a younger me infront of me.

"I'm... Uhm... My mom says not to tell my name to strangers" the kids says clearly embarrased.

"but I told you mine" she says.

"Im lost too" he ignores her "but its better if we stay together. Want to play something?" He smiles without showing his teeth.

She nods and walks to him but a voice stops her. A woman’s voice.

"Dear, I told you to wait in the lobby" the woman takes his hand and looks at the younger me. "your family is looking for you too" there's an edge on her voice that freezes me.

"mom, who is that?" The boy asks as his mother almost drags him.

"she is the daughter of the Son family, you should never talk to her, remember?"

The kid looks back at me

MYUNGSOOs POV

I thank Dongwoo as he gives me a glass of wine. Tonight the atmosphere is strange; it feels like going out with friends but at the same time a small blue feel lingers around us. Sunggyu and Hoya are talking about something that doesn’t catch my attention and I can’t seem to get between their bubbles.

The bar is almost full, so the noise mutes their words a little. The half lighting environment is really helping my crisped nerves from before.

"its been a while since I got to hang out with you guys" my longhaired bodyguard says.

"that’s because you didn’t want be part of my personal guards.

"nah, Im cool like this. You know I live field missions better...a lot better"

"Talking about it...how is it going?"

"You are concerned about her?" He raises an eyebrow in amused grimace.

"She is our enemy, Im concerned about her movements not her" i hiss

He lowers his gaze to his almost empty glass before stirring the brown golden liquid in it.

"well, from what I've seen she doesn’t seem to be like any girl, even working at a coffee shop. At first I thought she was an impostor" he pauses and look at me "but then she walked into that office...the look in her eyes, the way she moved. She reminded me a lot of you. So, whoever says she is not a treat is wrong"

The last sentence is enough to shoot my adrenaline down my spine and arms. The electrifying feeling is making me grin and I don’t care if I look like psycho.

"what's so funny?" Hoya asks from the other side of the table.

Sunggyu also has the same curious expression.

"I think things can get pretty interesting" I say.

They smile the same way I do.

"Today was interesting" hoya says "I'd never think that we'd save the Son princess"

"We didn’t" I remark "we just crushed her attempt to seduce that pig" the words taste like vile in my throat "I don’t want anything to do with someone who Would go that low for a deal"

"aghhh Im tired"  Dongwoo yawns as he stretches his arms "I'll be going"

 

After we part ways, Hoya and Sunggyu go together and I decide to walk, I need to get some fresh air and clear my mind.

Despite what Dongwoo said earlier I still believe she is not cut out for this world full of schemes.

I know I will have to destroy her but part of me keeps trying to find a way to stop myself and keep her safe.

"Have you been following me?" I say to whoever's steps are been annoying me since a minute ago and they stop.

"still as sharp as ever" an almost unfamiliar voice answers

I turn around just to find a familiar face.

"As ever?" I arch an eyebrow "sounds like you know me" I spit.

And the Sungyeol guy does the same.

"so you do know me” I affirm

"Of course, I'd know our nemesis"

I can practically touch the tension filling up between us.

"sorry to disappoint you but I can’t say the same about you"

He laughs and I can almost swear he says “so it’s true”

“did you say something?”

“do you want to know?” he clearly teases me.

“No, so if you are done following me, I hope to not see you again”

“I just ran into you by coincidence. I guess today is an unlucky day and I’m afraid that might not be possible” he shrugs “we are natural enemies”

He steps forward and the street light illuminates his face making the bruises and swallow bottom lip more visible. I can already imagine what happened when he got home. Not that I’m concerned about him but I have to suppress the needing of asking about that girl.

“She is okay” he says as if reading my mind.

“Who?”

“My master”

“Why would I care about her?” I can hear the edge on my voice “Actually, it’d be better is she wasn’t”

He shrugs but he fails to hide the glare in his eyes at my choice of words.

“Well, I won’t fight you today because you saved her but I can’t wait for the time we can measure our skills” he bows a little and starts walking.

 

My mind is been trying to process thing quite fast lately and I cant sleep, even though it’s past midnight. The meeting between my friends and the Son’s had been spinning in my head since then and now I have to add what that Sungyeol said.

I walk out of my room towards the patio; maybe some fresh air can put me at ease.

“What are doing here so late?” hoya stands from the bench in the center of the bushes garden.

Damn it

“Can’t sleep. You?”

“Guarding duty. Everything’s fine” he reports as if I’m here to inspect.

“oh, right today is your shift” I sit next to where he was and he does the same. He looks offguard but his eyes are scanning every corner of the place, it gives the impression as if something had happened before that he has to be alert.

The grasshopper’s sound echoes loudly but the silence between it’s not awkward between us; he knows he doesn’t need to start a conversation if not needed. But this time I have to talk.

“hoya”

“hmm?” he answers without looking at me.

“Do you know Sungyeol”

He looks at me from the corner of his eyes, but doesn’t look taken aback. Of course he doesn’t, he’s been trained to remain calm in every situation, just like me.

“yeah, he is one of the main Son dogs. Why?”

I consider the idea of saying ‘just because’ but a better option pops in my mind. This one might get the Son in some trouble but why would I care?

“I met him today and he said some crap about me being a different person” I look him in the eye. He slightly tenses up. I’m glad I’m asking Hoya, who is not better that Sunggyu keeping his cool.

“what? Why would he say something like that?”

He is lying.

“I don’t know” I shrug “I expected you to tell me” I pressure.

“me?” he keeps lying with all cynicism  and I’m about to lose it.

“yeah, after all, you met with him and Woohyun”

Bang! His mask falls and I can see him panic inside.

“What are you talking about?” he dares to lie again and I grab him by the collar of his white shirt wanting to slam him against the wall but something stops me from doing so; his eyes are full of remorse, panic and fear. I shove him hard enough to make him stumble back.

I breathe a few times to ease the rage growing up inside me.

“Speak now, Hoya, or I will assume you are a traitor”

He sighs.

“It’s all because you met her; we want to protect you so we told Woohyun to keep her away from you. You are not the leader of the Clan entirely and if the elders found out that you’ve been seeing her they could go as far as to kill you” he sincerely explains, I can tell and it feels as if a ton has been lifted from my shoulders.

I still have my doubts but I will not pressure him; the truth will come to light sooner or later. I pat his shoulder and start walking towards the entrance of the mansion.

I should get back inside since it’s getting chilly out here. Tomorrow is Saturday and I have no appointments so I must be able to sleep well, unless there are more weird dreams about falling from a cliff or men wearing white face’s masks like…. Doctors.

I stop in my tracks and look at my friend who is balancing himself on his toes impatiently.

“Did I have an accident?”

He pales as if he has seen a monster for a second but regains his cool in a blink.

“No. why?”

“Just because” I reply and go my way.

I’m confused. I’m more than confused I’m lost. I feel as if something in my life’s been a lie.

Tonight the dream is different. No doctors, no cliffs, only me sitting in front of the beach looking at the sun reflecting on the water. But I’m not alone, there are more people but I can’t see their eyes but their lips are curved up in bright smiles, including me. We are seated on the sand; it feels so real I even can feel its warm running through my hand but I can’t hear a thing

There’s a girl with short curly hair, she pinches my cheeks and do the same to her and we both smile. The guy next to me mocks us and stands up to walk towards the water. And suddenly all recovers it sounds, the sea, the wind, her laugh.

“Hey! Come back here, Sungyeol” I call him in the strangest friendly way possible.

 
 
_________________________________________________________________
 
Hello everyone! I'm baaack! I've been really busy lately and it gave me a strong author's block but I managed to finish this chapter and make it as intriguin as I wanted it.
 
Thank you for your patience I hope you liked this chapter.
 
DON'T FORGET TO COMMENT, VOTE AND SHRE WITH YOUR FRIENDS (even if they're not inspirits)