Awake

BLANK

AMI's POV

My body feels heavier and colder. I can barely open my eyes from time to time and I see treetops blocking the cloudy dark sky; I'm being carried by someone, whose hands are trembling against my shoulder and thighs. Woohyun's voice echoes loudly telling me to stay awake, saying we are almost there; I can't tell if he is crying because my vision is blurry but his face is twisted in agony. Sungyeol's voice on the back is clamoring for help. my eyes close again against my will.

“the ambulance will be here soon!" I can hear Sungyeol shouting frantically.

Oh, that's right; Myungsoo pushed me down the cliff. That bastard.

"Ami, open your eyes. Stay with me" Woohyun shakes me violently, forcing me to look at him.

"I'll make them pay!" Sungyeol roars.

I want to tell them to calm down but I'm exhausted, even to open my mouth.

Myungsoo's face when he let go is graven in my memory; there was no emotion on his face, no light in his eyes just like he was tossing a piece of paper. He didn’t look like he even enjoyed it; so that is Kan Myungsoo, the one Woohyun warned me about and I refused to listen. He is more frightening than all of his bodyguards mixed together and now I know he won't hesitate to kill me if he has the chance again.

We stop and I he places me on what I assume is a stretcher; I see the insides of an ambulance trough narrowed eyes. Woohyun is holding my hand even though he is shaking and I want to be the one that hold his.

"her pulse is weak" a paramedic says before everything turns black.

-----------------------

When I was 7 years old my father showed me a picture of a black haired boy "his name is Kan Myungsoo, he is the heir of the Kan throne. You need to be better than him in all fields, Ami"

"Kan Myungsoo" I repeated, taking in the boy's smiling face.

"Yes, he is your enemy, you have to hate him"

"Why?"

"Because his family betrayed ours, they stole their power from us a long, long time ago"

“I don't understand, daddy. Why do I have to hate him? He didn’t do anything"

"Because if you don't he will destroy you"

His poker face from last night as he let go of me flashes on my mind

Goodbye, Son Ami

I open my eyes and gasp loudly, just like if I needed air desperately.

"Are you okay?" Woohyun holds my hand and looks at me in shock.

I'm huffing; my throat feels dry as a desert.

A piercing pain strikes me as I try to reincorporate and I finally see my left arm is wrapped in a sling.

My friend seems to read my mind and gives me a glass of water. He stares at me full of concern as I bring it to my lips, holding it with my right hand, and drink it slowly

"We are at the hospital" he informs me while I keep drinking water "it's been 36 hours since the accident"

I abruptly gulp the water "accident? That..."

He stops me by tightening his grip on my hand. His chin points towards the coach where my mom is sleeping. I hadn’t noticed her.

"She is been here since then" he warmly affirms "Sungjong and Sungyeol are outside"

"What happened?" I ask. I should be asking about them but they will probably say they are alright to not make me worry. Besides, I'm the one whose body, including my face is all parched up with gauzes.

"You rolled down the hill and clashed against a log. You hit your head pretty badly, the doctors were worried since you just recovered from the coma but thank goodness it was just some bruises and scratches...and a broken arm"

His eyes are fixed on his hand holding mine and then I notice the dark circles under his eyes and how tired he looks.

There are yellow bruises already vanishing from his cheeks and the back of his hand shows a few wounds.

He is blaming himself, like always. Because I'm not capable enough to protect myself.

"I need some fresh air" I raise my voice on purpose, just in case my mom is awake.

He stands up and gets a wheelchair and helps me get on it.

"Oh" Both Sungyeol and Sungjong exclaim at the same time.

"Are you okay?" Sungyeol steps forward while Sungjong is silent but I can see on his face that he is relieved.

I nod "thank you, Sungyeol. How are you both?"

"We are okay" Sungyeol answers "you got the worse part, ma'am"

"Where are you going?" Sungjong finally speaks, his question sounds more like a demand for an explanation.

"She want to get some fresh air" Woohyun answers moving us past them "Mrs. Son is still there you keep an eye on her" he orders and the younger guys answer formally.

"Don't mind Sungjong, he may sound rude but he is only worried about you. He is regretting not being there that night" his voice is now friendly. The voice I’m used to.

"I'm sorry, Woohyun. I shouldn’t have followed them" I whisper as we wander through the hospital corridors, he is pushing the wheelchair that would probably stress an elder.

"It's not okay but you still did it. I just want to know the reason" he answers with a calm tone, I can’t see his face so I don’t know if he is angry or not.

I hesitate, pondering the outcomes of telling him the truth or not.

"There is something bugging me since a while now: why would Myungsoo's friend want me to stay away from him" I replay in the most appeased voice I can make "It's not like I am a threat to him"

He doesn't answer right away but waits until I turn to face him, his eyebrows are knitted together but he relaxes his face as soon as he realizes I'm staring.

"I don't know; probably because they know I'm always with you" he states confidently but I don't think that is the reason behind Sunggyu, Hoya and the other guy's warnings.

Suddenly I start to remember something from that night. Something really important.

"Woohyun!" I raise my voice and he stops the chair on its tracks

"What?!" he is alarmed.

"Those guys are hiding something from Myungsoo!" I abruptly say. Thank goodness is late and there is no one in the hallway

"What?" he stares at me as if I have three eyes.

I look from one side to the other to confirm it's safe to talk.

"they were talking about something that happened at the cliff. Something that didn’t end. Then Myungsoo kept asking me why was that road closed" I look down trying to remember something else but nothing comes up.

"Did they say something else?" he looks concerned.

"Nothing that I can remember... but why would they keep that secret from their leader? "

"They must have their reasons" he shrugs "that road was closed because there were too many accidents, anyway"

So Myungsoo had an accident?

"You shouldn't concern with them right now, Ami. Focus on recovering and making an excuse to tell to your father because he is a very clever man and I know he didn’t believe me when I told him it was an accident. He'll want to hear some answers for you"

"Why did you tell them it was accident?" I whisper.

Woohyun bites his bottom lip, averting his eyes from mine for a second before looking at me again.

"Because he wants to go to war against the Kan family and Myungsoo trying to kill his daughter, the next in line of the Son clan, is a valid reason for it" he explains with a deeper voice than usual.

"But isn't it what you wanted too?"

He moves in front of me and kneels so that our faces are on the same level, his eyes are on mine and I almost forget how to breathe.

"What I want is what you want. I'd go to war if you ordered me to"

I don't like he always puts his duty after our friendship but what do I want right now? I hate Myungsoo more than ever but is it enough to kill him or to get Woohyun, Sungyeol and Sungjong in danger just because of some ancient hatred between families.

My blood is pumping hard and I feel the adrenaline rushing through my body due to the thoughts of revenge but I have to suppress them. I'm a pacifist after all.

"Not right now, Woohyun. I still have figure some things out before fully going to war"

"For example?" he is still on his knees.

"I'll tell you when I'm discharged"

He stands up and looks down at me.

"don't forget he tried to kill you"

 

The next morning I wake up at the sound of my dad slamming the door open. He enters the room with his own bodyguards, Woohyun and the others look like little kittens compared to the three tall men in suits that follow my father and my mother.

His face shoes mixed emotions like anger, relief and concern.

"Dear..." my mother says surprised as she hurries to his side. He places his hand on her shoulder, he have never been one to be affectionate in public.

"Get rid of the reporters" he looks back over his shoulder and orders to his men "the last thing we need now is for them to find out"

"yes, sir" they all reply.

I freeze when he looks at me and I automatically search for Woohyun who is moving two chairs next to me for my parents.

"How are you doing?" he sits, not thanking my friend but his voice is strong but warm.

"I'm better now, can I go home?"

"Not until the doctors say so... are you going to tell me what happened or are you going to lie as well as Woohyun?"

"Woohyun is not lying, father. We were in an accident because I wanted to climb that hill and he tried to stop me so he fell too, that is why he is all bruised too"

He is not buying it.

"Then should I go ask the Kans myself?"

"ask what?" I ask.

"Sungyeol said that their heir, Myungsoo was there. I assume he has something to do with your little accident" he narrows his eyes.

Woohyun, Sungjong and I look at our friend with our eyes wide open, as well as our mouths. He looks at his feet, clearly ashamed. Did he just backstab us?

"He was there at the bonfire, but he had nothing to do with me"

"And why was he there?"

Uh oh, I better think about something quickly.

"It was an open event, students from others schools could attend too. I didn’t even met him, I knew he was there because Woohyun informed me so we separated from the crowd in order to avoid him"

I am surprised my acting abilities. I cross my fingers under the sheets hoping he'll buy it and change the subject.

He stares at me for a second, I know he is trying to find a glimpse of lies on my face but I'm better than he thinks

He finally surrenders with a loud sigh "alright, let's leave it at that. I don't want you to stress too much"

"I'm sorry dad. I'll get back to work as soon as possible. I know I still have one project to take from them"

"Don't worry about that, Woohyun can take care of that" he answers

"Sir?" Woohyun looks overwhelmed.

"I know you've been learning the ways and some tricks of this business during all these years. And I'm proud of you, it puts me at ease that I'll be leaving Ami in good hands in the future" My father smiles at Woohyun, so does my mother.

"what are you talking about?" I can't help but ask.

Both giggle.

"Nothing at all, dear" my mom answers still smiling.

I look at Woohyun, Sungjong and Sungyeol both they looks as confused as me.

"You'll develop the strategy and will only proceed if you have my authorization, understood?" my father goes back to his 'leader-self'

"yes, sir" Woohyun replies politely

 

My parents stayed there for a while until they left because they had a business dinner or something. I would want them to stay longer but I know how important those dinners are. I've never been to one so that I can keep a low profile but I've heard them talk about them.

"So..." Woohyun spits "are you going to tell us why you did that?" he glares at Sungyeol, who is leaning against the door with his arms crossed on his chest, staring back at Woohyun.

"Isn’t it obvious? Because I want to destroy them as soon as possible" he groans

"You should ask for her opinion!" Woohyun scolds him but Sungyeol doesn’t even flinch, he is convinced that he did the right thing "this is not a game!" he shouts.

Sungjong looks out the door probably to check if there is someone who could hear them, he comes back with a relaxed face so I guess there was no one.

"Do you think this is a game for me, of all people?" Sungyeol is clenching his teeth. If looks could kill, woohyun would be death.

Woohyun glares at him but he lets out a loud sigh and start massaging his temples, his eyes close trying to relax.

"I know but you can't just do whatever you want" 

"He almost killed her!" Sungyeol point at me frantically, his face is twisted in anger.

I'm surprised about how Sungjong is keeping his cool at the situation. I fear they will end up fighting against each other.

"Sungyeol" I finally raise my voice and all eyes are on me "I know you are worried about me but refrain from doing something so impudent without my consent. It is up to me if I want Myungsoo dead or not"

They stare at me with wide eyes just as if I was an alien. The room remains silent for a moment until they all grin.

"What?"

"Nothing" the three of them answers.[

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yay! I updated before a month!! I hope you like this story!

Guess who is going to INFINITE's concert? ..... Not me! Ha!

I am so sad about it but I hope they comeback in the future.

THANK YOU! Don't forget to comment and vote.

You are the best! :)