Prologue

BLANK

 

“Run! Run faster! We are almost there!” a man’s voice screamed desperately to me, moving his hand to point a huge gate next to him. The exhaustion in my body felt real as well as the needing of air in my lungs as I huffed running faster than my legs allowed me to move in the slippery road covered of mud.

The people chasing after us shouted to stop me and kill him before I finally reach his hand and we ran through the gate doors. I can’t seem to remember why we were apparently escaping or why I had tears in my face mixing with the drops of rain while I look back and I recognized a few familiar enraged faces getting in cars at the same time my companion pulls me to the passenger seat before he started driving at full speed on the dark, rainy trail.

“Where are we going?” my anxious voice sounded distant, even to myself.

“It’s alright; they are waiting for us where we promised” he held my hand to reassure me everything was okay but the slight shivering of his hand gave him away.

I look back again and I saw our chasers’ car getting closer with every second that passed. I remain silent in order to not worry…

“What was his name again?”

My dream was interrupted by the obnoxious sound of my alarm clock telling me I had to start my day. It took less than half an hour to get ready and I have breakfast made by our family’s chef and I wave goodbye to every maid in my house. My parents were overseas since a month ago but even if they were here I would have been driven to school by one of our chauffeurs. I instructed him to always stop one block away from school; the last thing I wanted is to get attention for being the heiress of one of the richest families in town.

I entered college a month later than the other students so by the time I tried to fit in it was already too late, everyone had their groups and to add on that, I wasn’t the sociable type to begin with so it was harder to make friends. To my luck: this wasn’t like high school so no one was rude to me but I have to admit it was pretty lonely eating by myself during recess or being the last choice when there was team-work.

"You are not here to make friends, you are here to graduate and get a good job so you can help your family" I said to myself when depression was about to take the best of me.

One of the few things I was proud was that I was pretty good at taekwondo, so once I entered high school I enrolled in that club, and so I did in college.

I remember that day, like it was yesterday. It was practice time after class and I was in the line waiting my turn to kick the soft dummy and I still don't know why lifted my head to look to the balcony above the field as if some magnetic force pulled my chin to that direction. To where he was.

Leaning against the fence and looking down to the dummies being kicked, his eyes were expressionless as if he was tired of everything around him, his dark hair almost completely hiding his forehead made his skin seems paler.

The closest description to what I felt is being punched on the stomach and knocked to the ground followed to an intense anguish strong enough to make me feel like crying right in the place.

The next thing I remember is being called by my enraged instructor to stop blocking the line and kick the dummy. I apologized and proceeded to attack the object before going back to the end of the line. I looked back to the balcony again, only to find he was gone.

"who is he?"

The class continued and ended without incidents so I headed to my part time job as usual. 

When I was about to leave the school grounds I saw him again, standing next to the gate holding a beautiful black guitar in his hand. He was surrounded by a group of two girls and two boys and some of them held instruments as well; a violin and a bass.

They looked quite cool, to be honest.

I walked past them, feigning ignorance to his presence and they didn't notice me either. Or so I thought.