Chapter 21

I Know You Like Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Leeteuk tries to comfort a heartbroken Heechul. Leenah makes a decison.

I Know You Like Me:

Forgiving:
 

Leenah once thought of herself to be like everyone else on the inside and outside. When she looked into the mirror, she saw herself as the same as everyone around her. What was the difference? Everything seemed to change when she started middle school. Everything did seem normal at first until she entered the classroom on her first day of primary school. Everyone was staring at her, why? She sat and tried paying no mind to it until a kid next to her started tapping her shoulder. 

"Hey, you. What are you doing here?" The boy seemed to be actually confused, but she didn't understand what there was to be confused about. 

"Taehong, she can't understand you." A girl sitting behind her laughed, but she didn't understand what was so funny. "Foreigners don't care about learning our language, right foreigner?" 

She was called a foreigner. She had no idea what it meant. She was the one who was confused now, so she didn't say anything. They all sure said a lot. They said whatever they wanted and laughed, thinking she didn't understand. She did her best to ignore it, but she still wanted to understand. 

Ever since then, people everywhere seemed to be fond of staring at her as if she were a wild tiger roaming free. It was like a ripple effect. It happened everywhere; on the subway, on the bus, just walking down the street. One day she looked into the mirror and for the first time, she saw someone who was different. Her eyes weren't the same, her hair wasn't the same, her skin wasn't the same, her lips weren't the same, her nose wasn't the same, everything just wasn't the same. Was that why everyone stared? Was it because she was just, different? 

"Mommy, what's a foreigner?" She asked one day.

"A foreigner is someone who is from somewhere else." She couldn't help but be surprised at that answer. Was that all it meant? "Like if we were to go to another country, we would be foreigners. If someone from another country were to come here, they would be a foreigner."

"Is being a foreigner, a bad thing?" It was what everyone called her, and they laughed. If it wasn't a bad thing, then why did it feel that way when everyone said it?

"Of course it's not a bad thing. Who said that?" 

"No one. I was just wondering because some people must think that it is a bad thing."

"Those people are just close-minded and don't want to understand others. Something about someone different just scares some people sometimes, even though there's no real reason for it. Are you sure someone didn't say something to you?"

"No, no one said anything. I just thought it was something that I am, that's all." She felt herself becoming sad again. 

"You're not a foreigner, and even if you were there's nothing wrong with that. You're the same as everyone else."

Leenah frowned at that. "No, I'm not."

"Forget about what you see on the outside." Leenah's mother sat down with her. "Who are you inside? What do you do when you're in school?"

"I study a lot. I doodle." Leenah answered.

"Do others do that too?"

"Yeah, they do. But lots of people everywhere do the same things."

"Exactly, everyone is the same in one way or another. We're all the same but different at the same time. It doesn't matter where you come from or where you are."

"Would it be okay if I said I am failing English then? I know I'm not the only one." Even if she wasn't the only one, it didn't stop the other kids from laughing at her for it. Everyone saying that she was a foreigner who didn't even know her first language. But what did that mean? Was English supposed to be her first language? "Shouldn't I know English very well?"

"If you grew up somewhere else, maybe. But if you're working your hardest, it's okay. Everyone is good at something. If you're not good at English, so what? Just learn a different one, one that you're good at. You can't force yourself to be a master at something."

Everyone is good at something. She told herself that all throughout middle school, then high school. She did her best to keep her head high even though she was friendless the entire time. She had accepted herself but she couldn't find anyone who could do the same. It wasn't until her second year of high school that she finally seemed to make a friend. She was sitting there alone in her own little back corner of the classroom, which became such a normal thing. So she never expected someone to jump into the seat next to her. 

"Hello there! I don't think I've seen you before, well how could I? I mean, I was in another class number but I switched since not everyone was nice. You're very quiet. You don't seem like the type that would be quiet. What's your name? Where are you from?" The girl spat out English like there was no tomorrow. Leenah felt intimidated by her enthusiastic nature. All she could pick up from what she said were the standard questions. What's your name? Where are you from? Was this girl Korean-American? She spoke English so well. That would mean that she would have to respond in the same way.

"I'm, from here." Leenah tried answering as best she could. "I'm Leenah Jung."

"Oh, you're Korean? Sorry, my mistake." The girl laughed, flipping her long-silky black hair. "I'm Kim SoonYee. I'm from here, too."

"It's nice to meet you." Leenah smiled a little. Kim SoonYee. She seemed nice. Talkative, but nice. 

"This is so great. We can be friends and do everything together! I have other friends I can introduce

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter