The Associate CEO

L.Joe's Bride

Chapter 3: Associate CEO

“Ah? Oppa? Why?” I heard Namjoo talk to her phone. She’s smiling. I think she’s talking to her boyfriend.

“Yes. I’ll see you at lunch. Bye oppa! I love you.” She giggled as she hung up.

I coughed and she was startled then she immediately stood up and bowed at me. “Oh, Ms. Kim!” She beamed at me. “Anything you need?” She asked me.

I nodded. “Mr. Kwon said I have to meet the Associate CEO. But I don’t know anything about him.” I told her. “I am not comfortable talking to someone I am not that close with so, I want to ask if you could come with us on our meeting later? At lunch?” I asked.

I saw her face and it looked like she’s bothered.

 “But it’s okay if you have to meet with your boyfriend. I would totally understand.” I smiled.

“No, Ms. Kim! I’ll accompany you with your meeting with Mr. Lee.” She told me.

I stopped at her words. Mr. Lee. Suddenly I felt my heart beating so fast. Just thinking about the name makes me really nervous.

“Mr. Lee?” I asked her.

She nodded. “I don’t know his real name, but he is called Mr. Lee by most of the employees.” She told me.

I nodded. “Oh.” I smiled. “It’s okay. I’ll just know him later.” I told her.

She smiled and nodded. “Ah, Ms. Kim!” She called me.

I looked back at her. “Yes?” I asked her.

She gave me a sheepish grin. “Can I at least meet with my boyfriend for 5 minutes before the meeting?” She asked me. “We’re meeting in the same restaurant anyway.” She pouted.

I smiled and nodded. “Okay. I’ll let you have your lunch break 45 minutes earlier.” I told her.

Her eyes widened. “No, I just really need 5 minutes, Ms. Kim!” She tried to bargain.

I smiled and shook my head. “You should have more time with your boyfriend.” I told her. “So, eat with him for lunch.”

“Thank you, Ms. Kim!” She bowed at me.

I chuckled and went back to my office.

Looking at her this happy, I begin to miss him. I wonder what he’s doing. Is he managing their company? Is he on a business trip? Business meeting? Lunch meeting, too, perhaps?

I sighed and shut my eyes as I sunk back to my swivel chair.

I miss him. So much. So terribly much.

I remembered his words.

“You don’t love me enough, Kim Hana. Because if you really love me, you’ll stand by me. You’ll stay with me and be by my side through all this.”

Tears started to form around my eyes and I swallowed a big lump in my throat. I shouldn’t be crying. But thinking of his face when he told me those words, it just makes me cry and it pierces my heart.

I still do.

I’m still hurt and I will always be hurt.

“Go out and don’t ever come back.”

I couldn’t forget his face when he told me to go out of his sight. He’s mad. He’s way beyond mad. He’s disappointed, frustrated and hopeless. It pained me. And I have to blame myself for that.

Perhaps, that’s the biggest decision I have ever made in my whole life. And it hurt a lot of people. The people I love.

I wiped the tears and got back to work. This is not the time to think of the past, when I have the whole company under my hands.

--

It’s lunch time.

And I have to meet with that Mr. Lee. Whoever he is.

A part of me wishes that it is the Lee I wanted to see. The Lee I wanted to meet again. The Lee I wanted to hug.

But no. How could he be the Lee that I want when this is our company and he has his own and his parents are probably at a bad blood with my family because of what I did.

Don’t keep your hopes up, Hana.

And I almost forgot that he doesn’t want to see me.

Why would he be the Mr. Lee I would be meeting?

And in fact, why would he be the Associate CEO here when he could be the CEO – even President – of their own company?

I shook my head and went down the lobby.

The chauffer was already there when I arrived. Mr. Jung, the driver opened the door for me and I smiled at him. He has been my family’s driver for so long. He drove me to and from the airport, by the way. He was the one who saw me in tears.

“Where to, Ms. Hana?” He asked me.

“Beale St.” I replied.

--

There were not much people in there.

I looked at my watch and yes, I am on time.

I looked around and saw Namjoo talking to a guy, his back turned from me. Is that Mr. Lee?

Why does his back look so familiar?

Is it really him?

Namjoo spotted me and waved at me. “Ms. Kim!” She called me.

I smiled and walked to her.

She stood up and walked to me. We met halfway.

“Is he Mr. Lee?” I asked as I pointed at the man with her.

She shook her head. “No, Ms. Kim! He’s my boyfriend.” She smiled sheepishly.

I smiled and nodded. “Ahhh.” I replied then I looked around. “So, is that Mr. Lee not around yet?” I asked.

Namjoo looked around and shook her head. “I don’t think he’s here yet, Ms. Kim.” She replied. “DO you want to sit with me and oppa first?” She asked.

“Will that be okay?” I asked her.

She nodded. “Of course! Oppa’s cool with everything.” She told me then she pulled me to their table.

Biggest mistake of my life. Next to calling the engagement off.

“Lee Byunghun?”

I asked almost in disbelief.

He looked up and stopped when he saw me.

His face. Is looking. At me. Right now.

My heart began to race and all the feelings I felt before are surfacing once again. This is really him. He’s really Lee Byunghun.

He’s gotten more handsome. His hair is black. He’s wearing a suit. He looks so formal. He looks like a model of a brand of clothing. He’s perfect.

I winced when I saw Namjoo hook her arms with his.

I was hoping he would flinch but he didn’t. He even held her hand.

“Ms. Kim! You know my boyfriend?” Namjoo asked me, surprised.

My boyfriend.

I almost laughed at her words. I was his fiancée. I know him more than you do. I love him more than you do.

But what do I really know?

L.Joe looked at me then smiled. “Oh, hi, Kim Hana. I didn’t know you are back.” He told me and he reached his hand out for a handshake. Why did he sound like that? Why did he sound so casual? Has he really forgotten about me? Don’t I really have the right to come back to his life?

I looked at his hand. Should I take it? I don’t know. What if I don’t control myself? What if I take it and it would be hard for me to let go?

What if I don’t want to let go?

He awkwardly pulled his hand back when he noticed that I am not going to take it anyway.

“No one knew I would be back.” I told him.

He nodded and I had to get out of here. Namjoo is all over him and he’s not doing something about it and I am jealous. That should be me.

Yes. If I haven’t left him.

“Are you Kim Hana?” A tall white man smiled down at me. I gave him a look. Who the hell is this man?

He chuckled and reached his hand out. “I’m Mr. Lee Jonghyun, the Associate CEO.” He introduced.

I looked at him and took his hand. “Kim Hana.” I replied. 

 

---

Follow me on Twitter: @RChampagne_

HAHAHAHAHA!

I love your comments from the previous chapter!

I'm doing a good job, right? 

You'll see Zico soon! Very very soon! :)