Final Chapter

L.Joe's Bride

Chapter 28: Final Chapter

“Miss Kim, these arrived at the reception area this morning.” Ms. Han told me. If you’re looking for Namjoo, she’s been promoted. She’s now one of the Team Leaders of the company. No, she didn’t resign. And yes, she’s dating someone else now.

I looked at her and at the bouquet of flowers she’s holding. It was a bouquet of Kadupul Flower. It was not a real Kadupul Flower because Kadupul flower only lives for about 2-4 hours. It blossoms at midnight then it dries off at dawn. That’s what a Kadupul flower is. And it’s from Sri Lanka. There’s no way that it would live until Korea.

To be honest, I’m not a fan of flowers. I think it’s a waste of time to have someone give you flowers and chocolates, but hell, when it’s from someone you really love, no matter what it is, you will like it. There’s no question to it.

Ms. Han walked to me and handed me the flowers.

“Thank you, Ms. Han.” I told her and she bowed at me before leaving me.

I looked at the bouquet and there was note saying,

My dear Hana,

I know you’re not a fan of these things but you should know that I love giving you flowers. It makes me feel like I am a very good boyfriend. (Although I’m not yet in that level.) I hope you understand that I gave you plastic Kadupul Flowers because they can’t live that long. But for me, you are one Kadupul flower. I’m not saying you’re not going to live long. You will. You will live long with me. Forever.

To me, you are a Kadupul flower because you are a great find. You are a rare flower. You are a once-in-a-blue-moon kind of girl for me. And I will love you even more and more because you are rare. I am so happy that I’ve found you, my own Kadupul Flower.

I love you, Hana.

From: Your Handsome Lee Byunghun

I laughed as I read the last line. He really has to emphasize that he is handsome.

It’s been 3 months since L.Joe came back and he’s trying to get together with me.

Until now, he’s still as persistent as 5 years ago. Last time, he reserved a whole restaurant for me. It was extravagant. And I know that he put a lot of effort for that.

I suddenly felt my phone vibrating.

Lee Byunghun would like FaceTime…

I smiled then I touched accept. There I saw him smiling widely on the screen as he slouches on his swivel chair.

“Oh, hi, Kim Hana.” He beamed and I laughed at him. It was his signature greeting whenever he calls me. I have been getting used to it.

“Did you receive the flowers?” He asked me.

I nodded. “Yes. Here.” I said as I positioned the camera to the flowers.

He smiled and nodded. “Good. Did you like it?” He asked me.

I chuckled. “A bit.” I .

He wrinkled his nose as he sat straight. “I know you did.” He told me confidently.

I shook my head at his overconfidence. It was different from the L.Joe 5 years ago. That L.Joe was begging and pleading me to come back to him. He was lonely.

This L.Joe is a livelier one. This L.Joe is a happier one. And I like it.

“Hana,” he called. “What are you doing tomorrow?” He asked.

I looked at my calendar of activities. “Nothing.” I replied.

He smiled widely again. “Alright! I’ll pick you up at 8am.” He told me.

I narrowed my eyes on the screen. “Why?” I asked. “Where are you taking me?”

He chuckled. “You’ll know when we get there.” He grinned. “See you tomorrow!” Then he hung up.

I stared at my phone for a few seconds.

“What is he thinking now?” I asked myself before I continued my works.

--

I opened the door of my pad and saw L.Joe smiling widely with cups of coffee in his hands. He gave me one.

“Good morning, Hana.” He beamed at me and he planted a kiss on my cheek.

My eyes widened and I felt my blood rushing to my cheeks. To that same spot that that his lips touched. It was not a foreign feeling but I feel like it’s the first time over and over again. Is that even possible?

Feeling the same feeling like it’s the first time again?

To L.Joe, it is.

“Are you ready?” He asked me.

I nodded. “Yes.” I replied. Today, he’s taking me to somewhere. I wonder where that is. But that doesn’t really mean anything to me. I mean, they say, It’s not about the destination. It’s about who you are with throughout the journey.

And yes. As long as it’s L.Joe, it’s fine with me.

 He smiled and laced his fingers with mine. I suddenly felt that spark. That same spark that he gives me before. But right now, it’s better. It doesn’t make me feel uncomfortable anymore. Maybe because we’re doing this the right way. I’m contented with this. As long as I’m with him.

As long as he loves me.

“Then, let’s go.” He told as he dragged me out of the pad.

We walked to the elevator. And I was shocked before L.Joe pressed ‘up’ and not ‘ground’.

I looked at him as he sipped on his coffee. Where is he really taking me?

He looked at me and smiled. “Don’t worry. You’ll know where soon.” He told me.

I nodded but I can’t help but wonder.

Where would he take me this early in the morning?

We reached the rooftop and L.Joe held my hand again as we walked out. I don’t know where this giddy feeling from me came from but it comes out now. All of the giddy feelings came out now.

My eyes widened when I looked in front of me.

“What’s this?” I asked L.Joe.

He chuckled and looked at me. “A chopper?” He replied, in a questioning manner.

I rolled my eyes. “Where are you taking me?” I asked him.

He chuckled. “To some place made just for you.” He told me then he pulled me to the chopper. “Get in.” He told me and I sat behind the pilot’s place.

L.Joe gave me a look and I moved to the seat next to the window. He climbed up after and fixed me and the all these gears.

I remember Fifty Shades with this. Charlie Tango. I’ve always wondered what Anastasia Steele felt when she rode Christian Grey’s chopper. And now I know.

I am nervous. I have all things in my mind.

L.Joe held my and gave me an assuring squeeze.

I looked at him and he is smiling widely.

“Don’t be afraid.” He told me. “Just hold my hand.” He smiled.

And with his words, all my anxieties are blown away. I don’t know how he does that but he makes me feel safe. I have never felt this way whenever I am with L.Joe before. But right now, I do.

Is it because I already cleared my head?

Is it because I was ready to love him again?

I don’t know.

But all I know is, I love this feeling.

I won’t deny it.

--

I survived the chopper ride with L.Joe’s hand on mine. I swear I have never realized that I am scared of heights until now. Until I rode that hell of a chopper.

But the thing is, I think I have to ride that again when we get back to Seoul.

L.Joe assisted me to go down. It’s a resort. And everything seems to be perfect.

But this place looks familiar.

L.Joe looked at me, smiling. “DO you like it?” He asked me as he crossed his arms across his chest and cocked his head to the side.

Why does he look so cool when he does that?

“Where is this?” I asked him.

I think this place is familiar but I honestly can’t think where I’ve seen this.

He chuckled. “You don’t remember this?” He asked me.

I didn’t respond.

He chuckled. “Yah, Kim Hana.” He told me with his authoritative voice. “You seriously don’t remember this place?” He asked me again.

I just stared at him.

He sighed hard and leaned closer to my face. “Remember Resort Project?” He asked me.

I nodded. And then it sank into me. My eyes widened as he smiled at me, nodding.

“You finished the resort project?” I asked in disbelief. How could it be? “Mr. Lee said that someone bought this project after you left.” I told him.

He chuckled and pulled me closer to him. “I bought this project and told them to not tell you about it. So, that you won’t know anything about it.” He told me smiling. “I bet it worked.” He told me.

I narrowed my eyes him.

He chuckled and took my hand.

 “Come on! I have something to show you.” He told me and he led me to somewhere again.

As we walked to wherever he wanted us to go, I looked around and saw a lot of people in the resort. They look like they are all having fun. Everyone is smiling and having a good time.

I smiled as I saw these people this happy. Then I looked at L.Joe who is smiling from ear to ear. I wonder when I last saw him like this. The last image of L.Joe in my memory 5 years ago was a sad one. He was sad that I didn’t choose him over Jiho.

But the thing is, that time, I believed it has to be Jiho. I was sure that I have felt loved and I have tried to love him with all my heart. And I have no regrets on my decision before. If I didn’t do that, would Jiho fall in love with Park Sohyun? Perhaps, if I didn’t do that before, there will still be this love triangle between us. One of them would still never give up.

So, this time, there are no regrets.

Especially now that I am with L.Joe.

He suddenly stopped at an entrance and we went inside. “I’ve always wanted to make you see this place.” He told me.

I looked at him in confusion. “What is this place?” I asked him.

He smiled and we walked on.

After a few more steps, he stopped again. He faced me and held both of my hands. “Are you ready?” He asked me.

I looked at him and nodded.

Then he opened the door.

And oh!

My eyes widened at what I saw.

“An Underground Aquarium?” I asked him in shock.

He walked beside me smiling and nodded as he placed his hands insides his pockets.

I looked at him in disbelief. “You did this?” I asked him.

I remember that time when I proposed to build an underground aquarium because of Mr. Song’s request, but all of them declined and refused to do it.

I can’t believe he placed this in his resort project.

“I told you. I got sick because I was revising the whole project.” He told me. “I wanted to revise it because you were so eager to build an aquarium. I wanted to please you. Mr. Song was really happy when he saw this.” He told me.

I looked at him in disbelief. “You even contacted Mr. Song?” I asked him.

He smiled and nodded. “Of course. I was willing to do everything to please you, Hana.” He told me then he held my hand. “And that doesn’t even quantify to an inch of how much I love you.” He smiled.

I can’t explain what I am feeling. So I just leaned in and planted a kiss on his lips. The emotions are killing me and I don’t know how to express it.

I saw him close his eyes then he smiled. He looked at me and pulled me in for another kiss. This time, it’s longer and it’s more passionate.

I closed my eyes and savored this feeling.

He wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me even closer.

We’ve shared kisses before but this time, I felt what it actually meant.

He missed me. He wants me. He loves me.

And he is pouring every emotion he has on this kiss.

And I did too.

This time, I have never been so sure.

I want to spend the rest of my life with this man.

This man who had his own share of ups and downs. He had his own waiting time. He had his own heartbreak.

And everything is all because of me.

But despite that fact, he’s still here for me. He’s still here. He’s still kissing me, hugging me, loving me.

Would I even find another Lee Byunghun in my life?

No. Because just like what he told me, he is also my Kadupul flower. My once-in-a-blue-moon kind of find. My happily ever after. My “The One That Got Away” who came back.

He’s my Prince. My one and only Prince who waited for me all this time. My one and only loyal Prince who didn’t even dare to look at other Princesses.

“I love you.” I told him as we broke the kiss. I held his face with both hands and smiled as I connected or foreheads together. “I love you, Lee Byunghun.” I told him again but this time with a firmer voice and wider smile.

He smiled and planted a quick kiss on my lips again. “Finally, Kim Hana.” He breathed. “Finally, I made it to your heart.” He told me as he pulled me tighter. “You don’t know how happy you made me right now.”

“I love you, Hana. I won’t say to the moon and back because I love you more than that. I love you more than going around the whole galaxy and coming back to Earth again. I love you bigger than the universe. And I am not exaggerating. I’m speaking of the truth.” He told me.

Suddenly, I felt my eyes water.

He chuckled and kissed my forehead. “Don’t cry.” He told me. “You’re not allowed to cry. Not even happy tears.” He added. “I don’t want to see you crying.”

I chuckled as I see his eyes b with tears as well.

“Then don’t cry too.” I told him as I laughed while sobbing.

He smiled. “Sorry, I can’t help it.” He replied. “I’ve been waiting for this moment for 10 years and finally it happened.” He continued. “I’m glad I waited for you. I’m glad I didn’t give up on the hope that there’s a future for us.”

I smiled and nodded. “Thanks for not giving up on us.” I told him. “Thanks for coming back to me. Thanks for everything you did for me.”

He smiled and hugged me tight. “Damn it. I want to hug and kiss you all day.” He told me as he ruffled my hair.

I chuckled.

Me too.

--

“Mom, Dad, what are we doing here?” I asked them as they invited me to dine with them in a 5-star hotel.

They just smiled at me.

“Hana, of course, we will eat.” Mom told me.

I almost rolled my eyes on her. Seriously, they could’ve just asked the chef to cook for us. Why do we have to go to this hotel just to have dinner?

But what right do I have to refuse this free dinner? None. And besides, it’s one of my rarest times with my parents these days.

“Go on. Just eat a lot.” Mom told me and gave me more food on my plate.

I nodded and ate whatever she placed on my plate.

It was quite a talk for me and my parents. They were laughing and they seemed carefree. I loved seeing their smiles. It’s as if they are on a break from all the work. I’d love to see them this happy.

We were talking about everything under the sun when suddenly we heard a feedback from the microphone.

I looked around and saw someone at the violin area.

“Alright, now, ladies and gentlemen, we have someone who wanted to give us a sweet song number.” The MC told everyone in the restaurant.

Everyone looked at him and waited for whoever that person is.

I did too.

I saw the musicians play their instruments. Then a young man appeared from behind.

My eyes widened as I recognized who he is.

“Lee Byunghun?” I asked in disbelief.

Then as if he heard me, he looked at me and smiled.

“Hello, everyone. I am Lee Byunghun, the CEO of the Lee Group of Companies.” He introduced himself. “I am standing right in front of you right now because I want to relay an important message to my one and only love, Kim Hana, who is sitting over there.” Then he pointed at me and everyone looked my way.

I almost died of embarrassment. What is he trying to do?

“I’m going to sing a song. I hope you all listen to it.” He smiled. “Especially you, Kim Hana.” He chuckled.

The music from the musicians changed. It was a familiar melody now.

Too many billion people

Running around the planet

What is the chance in heaven

That you'd find your way to me?

I watched him as he sang his heart out in front of all these people.

To be honest, I have never thought that he could sing this well. I thought he could only rap. I remember him rapping in exchange for Seafood Island treat but he ended up paying for it instead.

Hah. Memories.

Tell me what is this sweet sensation?

It's a miracle that's happened

Though I search for an explanation

Only one thing it could be -

 

That I was born for you

It was written in the stars

Yes, I was born for you

And the choice was never ours

It's as if the powers of the universe

Conspired to make you mine

And til the day I die,

I bless the day that I was born for you

Everyone was swaying to his song. I looked at my parents and they are all smiles about this.

Okay. So, now, I get it. They planned this. They were apprentices. I get it. That explains everything.

Too many foolish people

Trying to come between us

None of them seem to matter

When I look into your eyes

Now I know why I belong here

In your arms I found the answer

Somehow nothing would seem so wrong here

If they'd only realize

Born for me? I smiled at the thought. Maybe so.

That I was born for you

And that you were born for me

And in this random world,

This was clearly meant to be

What we have the world could never understand

Or ever take away

And till the day I die

I bless the day that I was born for you

 

What we have the world could never understand

Or ever take away

And as the years go by

Until the day I die

I bless the day that I was born for you

“Kim Hana,” he spoke as he went down the platform and walked to me. He is smiling widely, and looking straight at me. Not minding about the people who are looking at him.

He smiled even wider when he reached my place. He reached his hand out to me. And I gladly took it.

I stood up and looked into his eyes.

Then he did it. He kneeled down in front of as he held my hand.

“We’ve been through a lot of challenges.” He started. “You and I, you always said that we were never meant to be because destiny always keeps us away. Because destiny always separates us.” He looked at me. “I have always told you that destiny is the reason why we met. You were my fiancée. But you called it off.” He chuckled and shook his head at that painful memory.

“I have always been thinking about what could have been if you didn’t call it off before. What are we now? We could have been a married couple for 10 years now, if you were courageous enough to fight for us.” He smiled.

I looked at him with tears threatening to fall down from my eyes. As he spoke a word from the past, my mind tends to remember everything that happened between us. All those tragedies and dramas. Everything.

“But last night, as I was preparing for this confession, I thought that maybe destiny separated us so that we could be mature enough to handle these kinds of relationship.” He smiled. “Maybe destiny wanted us to be able to be sure of what we really feel for each other. And, Kim Hana, I have never been so sure of what this feeling inside my heart is. I have never been so sure that I love you.” He told me. “I love you, more than you’ll ever know.”

I smiled at him as I wiped the tears on my cheeks. Why does he always make me cry when he does this?

Whenever he tells me how much he loves me, I cry.

He loves me too much. Sometimes, I don’t even think that I deserve his love. He just loves me a little bit too much.

“So now, I’m gathering every courage that I have now, Kim Hana,” he told me. “It was that certain thing that we never had, courage. But right now, kneeling down in front of you, hell, this is way beyond the courage that I have, but for you, I am willing to do everything.” He smiled.

“Kim Hana,” he called me as he took something out of his pocket. It was a box. And I knew what it is. “Will you be my bride, my wife and the only girl I would ever have for the rest of my life?”

I have always wondered why the girls in dramas cry whenever they are being proposed to by their loved one. Why would they cry with these proposals? They should be happy and smiling. But no, they are crying.

Right now, I understand.

They cry not just because of the happiness they feel but also because they have the person they love in front of them, swallowing all their dignity for them, kneeling in front of them, telling everyone how deep their love is. It’s such an honor.

Again, I am down with that single question in my head.

“What did I ever do to deserve you?” I asked him and he smiled.

I bended down and kissed him on the lips. “I love you too, Lee Byunghun. And I just want to tell you that I am happy that you’re the last man in my life.” I smiled at him.

“Because yes,” I nodded at him. “I want to be your bride, your wife and the only girl you’ll love for the rest of your life.” 

 

 

---

THANKS FOR READING! :)