Chapter IV

A Wolf's Cry

       

        The thudding of his paws against the forest floor was comforting to Mark as he ran alongside Jinyoung. He felt free and able to do anything.

        Not long after the two of them changed Mark had figured out that wolves could speak to each other telepathically while in their wolf forms. At first, it had scared Mark. It was uncomfortable having someone interrupt his thoughts, but he became comfortable and the the bond between them had strengthened almost immediately. It almost seemed like a normal thing to do.

        We can head back now. The border seems free of any suspicious scents. Jinyoung glanced over at Mark as he spoke.

        Mark simply let out a grunt to show he had heard. Jinyoung had suggested skirting the border to make sure Kyungjoon's pack wasn't crossing into their territory, but it was surprisingly safe. Mark could smell even the faintest of smells now. At first, he had been bombarded with every scent but as he focused he could tell Bambam and Yugyeom had been out here about a week ago. The smell was still lingering. He could also smell the other pack members. Jackson's scent was the most recent and Mark figured he went out for 'runs' often. He didn't blame him though. Going for a run seemed to clear his mind and leave all troubles behind. It was relaxing.

        Let's go. We can change inside.

        Jinyoung didn't wait for Mark's response as he ran full speed back towards the manor. Although Jinyoung was fast, Mark was at his heels. He let out a gleeful howl which Jinyoung followed suit. The two continued their vocal run until they reached the back door of the century-old building.

        Without much warning, Jinyoung began to shift as soon as they reached the door. Quickly, Mark closed his eyes and tried to focus on changing form rather than Jinyoung's body. The change this time wasn't any less painful than the first time. He could feel every single bone break as it shifted back into its human structure. Mark let out muffled cries of pain, his eyes opening wide as the last bone set with a bloodcurdling crack.

        “I don't think I'll get used to that,” the red head muttered as he ran his hands through his disheveled hair.

        “You will,” Jinyoung spoke up. At the sound of his human voice, Mark looked up only to look down at his own bare frame. Instantly, his hands moved from his hair down to cover his junk. His cheeks reddened and he fixed his gaze on the floor. “Can we...can we change now?”

        Seeming to be amused at his reaction, Jinyoung chuckled and turned around, leading him back inside. “Yeah, sure. I'll give you some of my clothes to wear. I can have Bambam or Yugyeom retrieve the clothes we left in the forest.”

        Mark was relieved when Jinyoung turned around and lead him inside. He kept a distance behind the dark haired male as he was lead up the stairs. The house was certainly beautiful. It was definitely older. The stairs wound gracefully up to the second floor where multiple halls lead this way and that.

        Jinyoung stopped in front of the door, glancing back at Mark quickly before opening the door. He strode over to a dressed and opened the drawer. Pulling out a set of clothes, he handed them to Mark before grabbing some for himself. “You can change in here if you're uncomfortable with being still. I'll go to the bathroom.” With a last warm smile, Jinyoung left the room, closing the door behind him.

        Mark let out a sigh of relief. Finally he had privacy. He set down the clothes on Jinyoung's bed and was pulling on the shirt when someone burst into the room.

        “Hey, Jinyoung do you mind if I-”

        The voice cut off as Mark pulled the shirt down to reveal his face. Standing at door was someone Mark was rather shocked to see. However, the shock didn't last long when he realized he was still . Feeling panicked, the red head grabbed the pair of jeans in an attempt to cover himself up.

        “Doesn't anyone ever knock!” Mark yowled and moved forward to shut the door.

        Jackson held it open as he began to speak. “I....uh...calm down. I was just looking for Jinyoung.” He didn't fight back as Mark slammed the door shut.

        “Great,” he muttered as he quickly dressed himself. “Two people seen me without clothes on and it wasn't even my fiancée.”

 

        Once he was calm and fully dressed, Mark opened the door a crack and peeked out. He could hear Jackson talking with Jinyoung and Jaebeom downstairs. Curious, he went to go investigate.

        “Jinyoung, I need you with me today. Jackson can go with Mark.”

        Mark heard Jaebeom speaking. The leader's tone sounded as if he didn't want to hear any arguments, but Jinyoung didn't seem to notice. Or if he did, he wasn't obeying.

        “But Mark isn't comfortable with Jackson. You and I both know that, Jaebeom. Jackson is impulsive and quick to use his fists and fangs. He'll end up getting angry and take it out on Mark.”

        “I'm right here.” Jackson's tone made him seem irritated and Mark couldn't help but feel the same. “We're only going to see his girlfriend. I'll get him back in one piece.”

        His girlfriend? He figured they meant Eunhee. Were they going to allow him to see her? He thought it wasn't safe. But then again he needed to explain. He also needed to find an excuse to give for his absences and, most of all, he needed to apologize.

       “I'm right here as well,” Mark spoke up as he stepped into the room.

        “Mark!” Jinyoung's eyes lit up once he entered.

        “Great,” Jaebeom nodded his head. “Now that he's here he can obey. You're a part of my pack now. Do you understand? Jinyoung is stay with me. Jackson will you to your family. Don't stay too long. Jackson's our best fighter which is why he's going but even this could put them at risk. Just a short meet.

        Mark knew what Jaebeom was saying was true. Because of the rival pack, Eunhee was in danger. If he had to call off their engagement then he would. He wouldn't drag her into this life. He didn't know how dangerous Jinhyuk was, but he knew it wasn't good and know he was a werewolf and Eunhee was a normal human.

        “Okay. Let's go.” Mark looked at Jackson as he spoke and he failed to notice Jinyoung's fallen expression.

 

        As soon as he agreed to let Jackson him, the two were off towards his fiancée's house. Although he knew what he was going to say in his mind, Mark was nervous. He loved her. Of course he did otherwise he would have never asked her to marry him, but he loved her enough not to bring her into the pack life. She deserved to find a man that would be with her and not lie. However, he was surprised to see that she was outside. The woman was sitting on the steps and as soon as Mark noticed her, she looked up. Standing in surprise at the sight of her fiancé, Eunhee blinked a few times before speaking.

        “Mark?” Eunhee approached her fiancé. The werewolf could tell she had been crying. Her eyes were red and puffy and his heart ached knowing he was the cause. Her gaze swept from Jackson to Mark as if she were trying to figure something out. “I need you to be honest with me.”

        The directness of her tone was surprising, but Mark knew he would never be able to reveal his pack's secret, but he would be as honest as he could.

        “Yes. I will.” He stepped forward only to have Jackson's arm reach out and block his path. He gave the red head a warning glare but Mark simply shook his head. He wasn't going to let out their secret. Right now his loyalties were with the pack.

        “Okay.” Eunhee took Mark's hand and lead him to the side. Once she figured she was at a safe distance from Jackson, she stopped walking and turned to look at him. “Mark, are you gay?”

        At the sudden question, Mark's eyes widened and he glanced behind his fiancée to see Jackson snicker. The downside to werewolf hearing.

        “Am I what?” He asked in disbelief. He had assumed she was going to ask him where he had been. He hadn't been expecting an accusation

        “Are you gay?” Despite the question, Eunhee was completely serious. “When you were supposed to meet me at my parents you were days late and you never answered my calls. Your excuse didn't seem reasonable, but I believed it anyway because I wanted us to work. I tried to forget it but at the restaurant I went to look for you and you just took off.” She looked down at her feet, trying to gather her thoughts before continuing. “I saw you run off with some guy. You were holding hands and you disappeared into the forest. You didn't come back until now.” She seemed to muster up some courage as she fixed her gaze on him. “I need to know the truth.”

        “I...” Mark trailed off. He was panicking, but he could tell her was hurting her more by than he had realized. Maybe breaking off the engagement was best. his lips, Mark walked passed Eunhee and took Jackson's hand who seemed rather surprised by his actions. “I'm sorry, Eunhee. I never wanted you to find out like this.”

        Jackson blinked in surprise and looked at Mark. Eunhee was too surprised herself to notice Jackson's reaction. “O-Oh, so this is the guy?”

        Without answering, Mark only nodded as he laced his fingers with Jackson's.

        “Really?” Eunhee stepped closer towards them, her eyes narrowing. “You're not just using him as a way to get out of our engagement?”

        “No, I'm serious, Eunhee. Jackson and I are serious.” Mark pressed his lips tightly together as he silently hoped the brute would agree with him for once.

        “Prove it.” Her words surprised Mark. They sounded childish, but he had never kissed another man before. To make it even more awkward, it was his own fiancée telling him to do it.

        “Eunhee, don't you think you're being a little-” Mark was never able to finish as he was cut off. He was shut up by a pair of soft lips pressing against his own. Opening his eyes wide in surprise, Mark's heart seemed to stop as Jackson kissed him. However, Mark was snapped out of it as Jackson bit his lip. They needed to make it seem real; right.

        The red head wrapped his arms around his packmate and closed his eyes. He seemed to relax and melt against Jackson's lips. It didn't stop there as the other werewolf's tongue ran along his bottom lip. His heart began to beat wildly but Mark parted his lips naturally, allowing Jackson's tongue to slide into his mouth.

        “T-That's enough.”

        Remembering what they were doing, Mark pushed Jackson away and wiped his mouth with the back of his hand.

        “I believe you,” Eunhee swallowed a lump in . She didn't say anything more as she slipped her engagement ring off of her ring finger and held it out to Mark. “I'm sorry to keep you weighed down.”

        “No,” Mark shook his head as he took the ring. “I'm sorry I did this to you. I really am, Eunhee. I did love you. I promise I didn't lie about my feelings. You'll find a better man; one who will be able to keep you safe and protected.”

        “Just go. Please.” Her voice sounded weak as she turned around. She didn't look back as she disappeared back into her parents house.

        “Come on,” Jackson urged, speaking up for the first time. He rested his hand against Mark's back and guided him towards the forest. “We need to go back home. She's safer without you around. Let's go.”

        Mark simply nodded as he allowed the other to guide him back into the forest.  

 


I finished writing this at 4 AM so if it doesn't make sense at some parts...I apologize and I'll try to fix it. I jumped around a bit when writing and fit it altogether when I was done.

ALSO, I would like to know about possible scenes. I know some readers like and others prefer to read a story without. I'd just like to see some input about that. There's already suggestive content and I figured I didn't have to write but I could suggest that there were/are scenes instead of writing the actual scenes. 

Thanks for reading! ♥

-Storm