Midnight

Decoded Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

We’re strangers… but now with memories. 

Isn’t it funny how once upon a time we were filled with faces that provided us with months, and sometimes years worth of memories and happiness. How a person can be so special to us and then become nothing the next. How we choose to remember certain memories and faces of those we used to love; people who were once so special to us. 

Sometimes a person only plays a role in a certain point of our lives, our story, even when we believe they should be written in it permanently. We don’t get to choose when someone leaves, yet it’s so hard to say goodbye. 

I never wanted to say goodbye to you, yet I left so abruptly. Without a single word spoken and that is how the chapter ends. Where a new chapter begins.. how we pray to re-write the pages in our book. How we don't want a chapter to end. 

Even though it’s our story we don’t always get to decide when a person stays and leaves.

I wanted my story to end like those of a fairytale, with you and I, happily ever after— but it turns out my story isn’t one of those that was made for happy endings. 

Our chapter in my book will forever be one of my favourites, one I’ll never want to finish reading. 

Even though you’re a stranger, our memories will live forever through me.. 

Returning to Korea, was it the right decision? 

It’s almost foreign to me, but there was a reason why I left Seoul in the first place. Maybe it will be different. I want- no I need it to be different, it has to be this time after all these years. I can't remain lost in the memory. 

Humans don't realise how easy they have it. To forget things so easily, the capacity of the brain- how it ages as they grow older. 

How the poets and literature authors I used to read suddenly have life so wrong. Death doesn’t greet all of us, nor does it accept us into Heaven. Hell does exist and even though there is a gravestone with my name carved into it, my body does not lay beneath the soil. If you could see the world as I see it, through my new eyes you would understand that a creature such as myself cannot simply continue with life like the humans I used to know. Back when I was human, I lived a fairly simple life. That all changed. 

Unfortunately for vampires we remember everything, down to the very small details, every word ever spoken, engraved. 

I remember everything- you wouldn't believe how desperately I tried to forget you. 

A monster. The demon is clawing, it’s ripping at my throat begging me for more blood. Ripping out my vocal chords and burning them until I get no say. The crackle of the fire can be heard and a sinister smile rips at the corner of my demon. The monster that is consumed by lust for blood and the urge to kill. A creature of the night was not conjured for love and affection but for destruction. I wanted to be a shadow, but I am far from being a shadow in the void. Everything I touch reduces to dust. I don't deserve a happy ending- I stopped believing in my happy ending centuries ago when the human died the night the blood child was born. 


 

...................................................................................................................................

 

 

*wolves howling*

Thunder howled in the distance as the strong winds welcomed the rolling crackle of the storm. Its roar echoed throughout the dancing trees that brushed against one another. There is a quiet place on the outskirts of Seoul, for those who wish to seek freedom, to seek comfort— away from the ‘human’ eye, a place that can only be found by those who believe, and for those who fight for what they believe in. At least, that’s what people say. The hidden place is called the Black Forest. 

As the light lukewarm rain tumbles towards the dirt trail below, light footsteps can be heard coming deep from within the cursed forest. A shadow lurks in the darkness, watching over anyone who dares to enter, knowing once you pass the boundaries you won’t come out— alive. A sudden gust of wind washes over the trees as the rain thickens.

*trees *

‘H-hello? Is anyone there?’

A small whimper escapes past rosy petals, chapped from the cold, hugging her physique tightly, the girl frantically searches her surroundings for an opening, an escape— the noises of the forest sends a cold chill down her spine and she starts to panic.

‘Lost and scared.’

The dark figure lurks, keeping to the shadows, perched on top of a near-by tree—- watching down on her. Pearly white teeth bite down on plump brims before curving into a wicked smile. Any second now... all he had to do was wait.

‘Hello?! Someone there, please!’

She pauses as she sobs, struggling to calm her frantic breathing to shout-out another plea for help. *Snap!* Twirling round, she loses her footing and stumbles into the thick, slushy mud. The tall, dark figure now standing before her, steps into the moonlight. Fangs, sharp as dangers, white as snow. Red hair that flowed like dancing flames, porcelain skin that of a doll and his eyes, black as coal burning right into her soul. She screamed, as the tears started running down her cheeks, cherry red from the cold weather— those salty tears. The dark figure crouches, long slender digits reach out, scooping the fresh tears that had rolled down the poor girl’s face, a smile creeping onto the devil’s face.

‘Mhm, a good attempt. But I don’t think anyone is coming, as they simply can’t hear you.’

‘No! Leave me alone!’

Yelling at the top of her lungs she scrambles to her feet before darting off deeper into the thickness of the forest. Sighing with satisfaction the dark figure walks forward.

‘I do love the thrill of a chase.’

His deep, smoothing voice spoke once again, standing directly behind the female. The girl turned round as fast as her limbs allowed her, crying harder, she begged one last time.

‘Please. What do you want from me? I'll give you anything to leave me alone, please, just don't kill me.’

Snaking his arm round to tenderly caress her cheek, wiping away the tears. Relaxing, slightly, only for the girl to tense up at how cold the stranger’s hands were. Why was it always the good-looking ones that turned out to be the serial killers? She never understood, but she always believed that the bad guys were irresistible. Maybe, she shouldn’t keep pursuing her fantasies as they might kill her— literally.

‘Hmmm, you smell— so good! And there is one thing I want more than anything right now, the beautiful crimson fluid that runs through your veins.’

A gasp exhaled from the female as she tried to flee, but the arm tightened around her waist pulling her backwards into the shadows, the oxygen getting knocked out her lungs before her corpse dropped with a thud to the ground. Dead.

“Uhm! So sweet.”

Using his thumb to wipe the corner of his mouth from the excess blood, his tongue running along his lips, wetting them. Soft chirping of birds, and on the not so bright side the rain had stopped. Morning sunshine made her greetings causing the young male to hiss at the bright rays of sunlight seeping through the cracks of the vegetation. The figure grumbled adjusting to the morning light, letting his head drop to examine the mess he had made. Even after all these years he still managed to make a mess like a child, but he did have a goofy childish side to him. Reaching out his hand to block out the rays of sunlight smiles softly, it had been seven years since he was last in Korea, five years since he had set foot in Seoul. He had his reasons for his absence though he was sure his father never approved of his sudden disappearances.

His train of thought suddenly interrupted by a soft, familiar voice.

‘Lee Taemin!’

Well— maybe it was more of a yell coming from the north, from his home. Taemin glanced down at his hands, fingers twirling the silver ring on his middle and index finger.

 

TAEMIN'S POV

This was the time of day when I most wished I could just be alone. Where I no longer needed to worry about the pointless rules given to me by a higher authority. Irritation became me

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter