In Her Eyes

Nocturnal

 

Do you know how it's like to lose everything?

 

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sometimes, her mind goes against her consent, travelling back to the past and making her recall of memories she doesn't want to.

Making her recall of the sacrifices they made for her.

And the wrong choices she made.

 

She's back in the time when she's with her family.

Like her people, their five senses are more heightened than those of others.

They can smell you before you even open the door to them. They can read people's emotions as if it were a game and they were the experts in it. They can sit beside you in a room full of people and tell you that the foreign lady sitting upright with her hands on her purse is going to tremble and go berserk.

Why is this so?

Her people are one with nature. In fact, the higher-ups of her people are just foreigners who just manage their home, people who help book accommodation for tourists and sleep indoors. Weak, her father would call them. Weak crybabies who won't last in the wild like we do.

He thought her how to hunt, and how to kill a deer when she was only five. He had thought her how to deal with different predators if she would encounter one. There are a few choices you can make. He had said. Whether to play dead or become one of them, whether to kill them and suffer the possible consequences or surrender to death, those will become your only possible choices. And at that moment, he looked at her with a gaze so strong and piercing that she shrunk under his scrunity as if she were zapped by a shrink ray. 

At the age of five, one would not think of telling their pretty, cute daughter all these. One would not expect a child her age to understand the seriousness of this topic that has been brought up. But no, in fact, where she used to live, after the age of ten, you are expected to be able to hunt.

All she did as a reply was blink stupidly, as if she had heard wrong. Her father, stern as he was, made sure she weighed the possibility of her life put at risk if she didn't know this knowledge that was so basic for them there.

 

 

 

Then, there's a buzzing in her ear, like almost every time her mind takes her on visits to unwanted memories. It's like her mind, her body knows that she cannot withstand reopening a scar, an emotional scar that's so deep and hurtful that they help shut her down.

 

 


 

 

Author's Note

Sorry,  this is well overdue. I didn't realise I had it hidden for so many years. I wanted to do more with this chapter but I think it's good enough for some insight on the girl? I recall having back-ups and some outlines on the future chapters but my past laptop died and I will have to recreate one so it'll take a while.