Reality

Growing Love

Half lying on the couch, Junmin get up to see who was at his door. He trailed his way towards it, an headache still present. It wasn’t because of the party anymore, Junmin was sure it had something to do with the show he was watching. As he opened the door, he hoped it wasn’t his neibhour asking him to do some errands for her again. He knew she couldn’t carry heavy things, but if she could find someone else it’d be

 

"Luhan?" Junmin blinked, a hand trying to arrange his dishevelled hair and the other tugging his shirt to flatten it. He would have make himself presentable if he knew who was coming. "What are you doing here?"

 

"Wanted to check if you were okay," Luhan replied, his wide eyes examining Junmin's face and forcing the latter to hold his breathe. "Can I come in?"

 

"Oh, yes." Yes, of course. Luhan was here to check on him as the good friend he was.

 

Friend.

 

"Are you feeling better?" Luhan asked, sitting on the couch naturally. Too naturaly. Junmin hated that his mind was playing an impossible scenario. One where Luhan come back home and the concern on his eyes would transform into a loving sparkle when Junmin would tell him,

 

"I’m fine."

 

An impossible scenario indeed.

 

Luhan did have that loving sparkle on his eyes, but it was not directed to Junmin.

 

It was directed towards his phone.

 

"Who is it?" Junmin asked although he knew who it was.

 

"Sehun."

 

Of course.

 

"He’s asking me to come at the cafe," Luhan said a fond smile on his face accompanied by a bit of surprise while replying to the message Sehun just sent him. It was odd that Sehun was asking him to come all of a sudden. Maybe they were finally okay? Luhan’s smile grew bigger as hopefulness took over him.

 

He was surprised this morning when he woke up to a soft whisper calling his name. He had opened his eyes slowly to see Sehun hovering over him, his face way too close for Luhan to not blush.

 

Sehun had told him that he was going to work while brushing the side of Luhan’s face with his hand, leaving Luhan having difficuly catching what he said and staring at him with wide eyes.

 

Sehun must had understood that Luhan wasn’t listening because a chuckle escaped his lips.

 

At the heart-warming sound, Luhan had felt heat spreading all over his face. He had reached for the blanket to hide his embarrassment but then, he had heard a 'So cute' and Luhan slided the cover down his eyes to be sure he heard correctly.

 

He surely did because Sehun had reached to ruffle his hair with a smile never leaving his face.

 

"Is it that shocking?"

 

Luhan blinked up at Junmin. “Huh?”

 

”..He’s just asking you to go at the cafe. Why are you so happy?” Even if it was boring, if the show could distract him from Luhan’s blushed face, Junmin wasn’t going to take his eyes off the screen.

 

"Oh, uh. Uhm, it’s because Sehun’s been acting strangely lately.."

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"Hum.." Luhan was slightly frowning at his phone. "Something’s bothering him but he doesn’t want to tell me what. I think that’s the reason why he doesn’t want to see me at the cafe anymore but I’m not sure."

 

From the corner of his eye, Junmin could see Luhan biting his lips; an habit he does whenever he’s nervous. “Is he making you sad?”

 

Concluding that staring at it won’t make Sehun’s reply appear sooner, Luhan put his phone aside and diverted himself by watching the TV. “I won’t say I’m sad, but I’m not happy either. I want his thoughtful face to disappear behind real smiles. I’d like him to be his normal self again.”

 

Even if he tried so hard to hide it recently, Junmin could perfectly see Luhan's real mood through his strained smiles and forced laughs. And judging from it these past days, Sehun was not taking care of Luhan.

 

I can take care of you better.

 

So much better.

 

"I’ll come with you. Can you wait a second for me to change?" Junmin said this as soon as Luhan get up, ready to leave.

 

"Ah, yes of course."

 

When he came back on the living room with decent clothes, Luhan was waiting at the door, his shoes and coat on.

 

They took the bus because Luhan seemed eager to reach the cafe quicly. He was waiting for his phone to vibrate. He thought about sending Sehun another message because maybe his boyfriend didn’t got the first one. He usually doesn’t take that much time to reply.

 

"We’re arrived."

 

Thankfully Junmin was here or else, Luhan would have miss the stop.

 

"What’s the matter?" Junmin asked when they were inside the cafe and he could see Sehun taking an order from afar. That’s why he couldn’t understand why Luhan looked so anxious.

 

"Maybe he doesn’t want to see me.." Luhan answered quietly. That would explain why Sehun didn’t reply to his text.

 

Luhan looked so discouraged, Junmin couldn’t help but pat his head like he always did in the past. “Don’t worry, it’ll be okay.”

 

Frowning, Luhan didn’t look so sure as his eyes were searching for some strengh and reassurance on his friend’s face.

 

But when a smile lighted up his beautiful features, Junmin was glad Luhan found what he needed.

 

Junmin sat at a table close to the front door, he ordered a coffee and watched Luhan making his way towards the counter.

 

 


 

 

Mixed orders, spilled drinks and if he was lucky, some yells from Jongdae; these things happened often lately, but today, they were duplicated.

 

Maybe it had something to do with the message his boyfriend sent him a few minutes ago.

 

From: Luhan 
16:23
Okay, I'm coming. :)
I'll take a little more time
because I'm at Junmin's house.
Do you need something?

 

Sehun didn't reply because he was too busy cleaning the orange juice stains on the floor and Jongdae's screams about throwing him out were tiresome enough to give him an headache. It was definitely not because he didn't want to.

 

It was definitely not because of where Luhan was.

 

No, Sehun was just busy.

 

And it was without a doubt because he was busy with a customer that Sehun’s eyes darkened when he spoted Luhan entering the cafe with Junmin. An awful sensation was heating up his inside and rising when he saw Junmin giving Luhan a pat on his head, telling him something at the same time to which Luhan replied with a smile.

 

So when Luhan started walking towards him, as if it was in hibernation, Sehun’s anger that had settled on him suddenly exploded.

 

"Sehu–"

 

"Stop it."

 

Luhan blinked. “What?”

 

"Luhan, you’re my boyfriend. You can’t act like this with someone else."

 

Luhan blinked again. Sehun sounded calm and his eyes were trained on the wooden counter. Luhan didn’t understand what was Sehun talking about until everything clicked on his mind.

 

"Junmin? You’re talking about– you’re jealous of Junmin?" Luhan couldn’t believe he was really asking this. An endearing smiled played on his lips at the thought of Sehun being jealous. It was a first. "Sehun, you don’t have–"

 

"This is not jealousy, Luhan. Just stop it."

 

Luhan was taken aback by Sehun’s answer. There was something on Sehun’s eyes when the boy finally looked at him that made Luhan's smile fall visibly. “What is it then?” he asked and he was amazed at how quiet he sounded considering his throbbing heart.

 

"Whatever you call it, Luhan. Just stop!"

 

The way Sehun yelled triggered something on Luhan that made him frown. “You can’t just ask me to stop something without telling me what I have to stop.” Luhan said, disbelief growing at each word. Why was Sehun angry? So he could be jealous but not Luhan?

 

Sehun closed his eyes and inhaled to steady his uneven breathe. “Luhan.”

 

"And you have no right to ask me anything with the way you're acting with me." Luhan didn’t know why but, even if his lips were quivering, he needed to get everything he held inside of his heavy chest out, and now. "You’re not acting like yourself. You’re avoiding me and–"

 

"I’m not avoiding–"

 

"Whatever you call it!" Luhan bumped his palms on the counter and Sehun flinched slightly at his action. "That’s what I feel! You refuse to tell what’s bothering you. I understand that we can’t share everything, but I gave you time, and a lot of it. I waited but you’re still pushing me. Don’t spill your problems on me if you’re not willing to let me help you with them! You’re my boyfriend! Act like such!"

 

Luhan was shaking, but he wasn’t done. “Instead, you’re acting as if you don’t care about.. me, about us, as if you..." He paused, struggling with the words. "As if you don’t love me.”

 

He said it.

 

What he was feeling, that awful though lulling him to sleep for a few nights now, he finally said it.

 

And he already regretted it.

 

His eyes were on his trembling hands and he waited, but Sehun didn’t utter a word, he didn’t move. He didn’t refute anything.

 

Luhan waited a few more seconds, but nothing. He was certainly not going to wait another week for Sehun’s answer.

 

He didn't want to hear it anyway.

 

"Luhan–"

 

Luhan shook his head and sighed tiredly. “Forget it.”

 

"Luhan. Luhan!" Sehun shooted but Luhan was already out the cafe. He slowly became aware of the looks the customers were throwing him after the dreadful silence that took place when the bells of the door stopped ringing. Fortunately for them, one direct gaze from Sehun was enough for them to return at their occupations.

 

Trying to control his breathe, Sehun had his eyes closed and jolted at the sudden hand posing on his shoulder. He turned his face around to see Jongdae scrutinizing him with a worried expression.

 

"You can go if you want, Sehun."

 

The latter averted his eyes and shook his head. "No, it's fine. My shift end soon anyway."

 

"You sure?" Jongdae asked, and it was so inhabitual and painful to hear him so concerned. Painful Because it meant that Jongdae witnessed what just happened.

 

It meant that Sehun was living one of his greatest nightmare.

 

"Yes, thanks."

 

Jongdae gave him a gentle pat on the shoulder and re the kitchen. Sehun saw Yura staring at him with a frown but he didn't care. He was exhausted from everything. He could have listened to Jongdae and left, but staying on the cafe was a good distration; Sehun was hiding behind this reason to not go after Luhan because he didn't want to. There was a fight inside of him between his brain telling him to stay here, to deal with his thoughts alone like he did for all this time and his heart, crying at him to run after Luhan and explain him everything.

 

And that was when Sehun realized that maybe he should have listened to his heart earlier.

 

At the sound of steps, Sehun looked up and saw the cause of his nightmares walking towards him. He was really the last person Sehun wanted to see right now and it was reflected on his resentful eyes.

 

"What do you want?"

 

"That's how you address your customers?"

 

Using the rage boiling inside of him as an anchor to stay on his feets, Sehun warned, "Junmin, if you want to tell me something, say it and quickly."

 

"Luhan doesn't deserve to be treated like this," Junmin said casually, taking a sip of his coffee. "I think he deserves someone better."

 

"You think?" Sehun scoffed as he grabbed the money Junmin handed him. "Let me guess, you're that someone right?" Sehun couldn't believe Junmin had the guts to tell him something like that. Junmin was really lucky that they were separated by the counter and that Sehun needed his job otherwise he wouldn't have wait a second to give his fists a work they wanted to do since long ago.

 

"I don't know, but I think I'll do a better job."

 

Sehun blinked. Was Junmin even serious? He just saw what happened between him and Luhan and he dares say something like this? Sehun had to admit he was quite taken aback by Junmin's sudden change of tone. So that was it? He didn't care anymore about hiding his feelings for Luhan? Sehun sneered inwardly at that. When did he ever? Sehun knew it would happen. That Junmin would realize that even the tiniest chance he had with Luhan would be better than his friendship with him. Sehun just didn't know when but he especially didn't know that Junmin would do it like this. Taking the opportunity to reveal it when Luhan and him just had a fight was really pitiful.

 

That's why, while storing the money on the cash register, Sehun said with a monotone voice, "Then go tell him". That was what what Junmin wanted, right? Sehun didn't understand what he was still doing here, wasting Sehun's time when he could just go see Luhan and tell him what he was feeling. Sehun was really close to rip Junmin's face in two when he put on a surprised look and asked his next question.

 

"You don't care?"

 

Care? How could Junmin ask this when he was clearly showing to Sehun that he didn't care about his feelings? Why does he even ask? If Sehun does tell him he cares, Sehun doubt it would stop him. But it was fine because Sehun didn't care anyway. He placed the change on the counter. "It's his choice."

 

With nothing more than a "Thanks", Junmin picked up his coins and left the cafe. That was what everyone was doing; leaving him. But Sehun didn't mind.

 

He was used to it.

 

 

***

 

 

A few minutes later, when all the tables and the floor was clean, Sehun was done with his shift. He may or may not have stayed a little more wishing that his mind could be cleared with simply a sponge and towel.

 

When he hung his apron, he could hear Jongdae in the kitchen talking over the phone with someone so he just gestured him goodbye and walked back on the cafe where he saw Yura. He opened his mouth to bid her goodbye when he received a rough slap on the face.

 

He touched his cheek that must be red by now because damn, Yura smacked him hard.

 

"What was that for?" Sehun asked incredulously.

 

"You hurt Luhan! You even made him mad, are you ing serious?!"

 

Still cuping his cheek, Sehun stared back at Yura with shock. He never thought he'd see her so angry one day and the fact that she swore – Yura never swears – meant that she was serious and dead furious.

 

"Listen," She started, her voice calmer but it felt like venom infiltrating Sehun's veins. "I'm sorry if I heard what you guys said but it's not like I was eavesdropping, you two were pratically yelling! He doesn't deserve that!"

 

At the familiar words, it was like a thunder cloud above his head created by droplets of hatred had struck him. "What do you mean by that? He deserves better? Better than me?" If Sehun was not meeting the criterias to be worth being with Luhan, they should have just take him away from him. Since it seemed like it was what everyone wanted. "Just tell him then. If I don't merit him, go tell him." Sehun was tired now. He just wanted to go home, he just wanted everyone to leave him alone. "If Luhan has to broke up with me, then fine."

 

Yura widened her eyes at Sehun's last sentence. She didn't understand why he went this far. She didn't say anything woth these words getting out of his mouth, did she? She noticed how he seemed so out of it and not working properly recently. She also noticed how Luhan wasn't visiting anymore and, even if she wanted to know why, she didn't ask because they surely had their reasons. But now, as she heard Sehun talking about breaking up as if he didn't care was too much for her and it could be seen by her deepened frown.

 

"You've totally lost your mind... you know what? Yes, he deserves better. He deserves better than the Sehun in front of me who's hurting him. He deserves the Sehun who give him love and affection, the Sehun who would have run after him even if he was working because his boyfriend is more important than this freaking job!"

 

Yura saw the way Sehun's blank face was now paint with an hurtful emotion. When their eyes met, he looked so lost, Yura's frown softened naturally. She sighed. "I said Luhan doesn't deserve this.... but you don't either Sehun... I like you guys a lot, I hate seeing you two like this. Please, talk to him and stop avoiding your problems." Sehun was surely not the only cause of their argument, it was clear that he was hurting too. She looked up and with an apologetic smile, she reached for Sehun's face and softly touched the wounded cheek.

 

"I'm sorry.. does it hurts?"

 

With a thin smile, Sehun shook his head. No physical injury could hurt him more than the reality hitting him from all sides.

 

...

 

 

 

 



I know, I know, I know...
The chapter wasn't supposed to stop here but otherwise, it would have been like 5k words so I cut it in two.
Remember what Yura said on Chapter 2? : "Is it Sehun? I'll punch him if he did something to you!"
Well, she wasn't joking. x) (it wasn't a "punch" but well.)
 
Here cute Sehun to make up for this chapter. :)
 
http://i.imgur.com/3dyPV6E.gif