A Note For You

Feathers of Black and White
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was lunch time and I could hear Chanyeol chewing on his food from across our small table. He’s such a messy eater that I ended up placing my sketchpad on my knees, saving my work from bits of food that would fly off the giant’s mouth. Ironically enough, I was sketching my angel eating on a cafeteria table as civilized as a teenager could be – or how imagined a decent teenager would eat.

“Hey, are you even listening?”

“Yes,” no, I wasn’t.

“Yeah, what did I say then?”

I looked up at him and gave a sheepish smile. I’ve been caught.

“I thought so,” Chanyeol said as he chuckled, gulping down a good amount of soda from his bottle. “I asked if you’ve seen the school’s popular group of kids.”

Thinking, my head tilted to the side as I bit my lower lip, absentmindedly shading my angel’s eyes as I tried my hardest to ponder over Chanyeol’s question.

My time alone is usually spent doodling stuff on my sketchpad, experimenting on the different views and shapes wings could muster whether they’re in motion or at rest. I prefer them at rest though, widely spread on both side to display its breathtaking beauty. And no matter how many times I pick up a different color from the bag of paint beforehand, I always end up filling up the palette with black paint, coloring the pair of wings with it. And if a group of popular students would pass by me, I wouldn’t have noticed, my mind’s too preoccupied with wings to do so.

No, I haven’t seen them but I’ve definitely heard of them. Word around school says the group is almost inseparable, going almost everywhere together even outside the class. Everyone even thought they’ll talk to the higher ups about hooking them all up on a single schedule so they could stick together but they didn’t, they have different schedules – and different years too, so I guess some of them are older than the others in their group. As to why they were popular though was something I didn’t understand nor was I interested with it.

Unless they were beings with black wings.

“I saw one of them eyeing you once,” Chanyeol said as he let out a sigh of content, finally full from the huge lunch he just had. I looked at him again though, thinking of how ridiculous it sounded.

I wasn’t a member of any sporty club, nor was I attending any of the local parties held inside the school. If I wasn’t anywhere with Chanyeol or in one of my classes, I’d be inside the art club’s room or inside my dorm room, drawing. I blended with the walls and the floors and with the other students, I was the invisible kid seated at the far end corner of a room. And I was pretty sure Chanyeol’s height was enough to hide my small body from the rest of the school, so it couldn’t have been me who’s being eyed by one of the popular kids.

“It must have been someone else.”

“No, it was you. He stayed looking even after the ball hit his face.”

I closed my sketchpad and slurped some of my shake, a pathetic excuse of a lunch in Chanyeol’s point of view because apparently I needed to eat something else that’s more nutritious than fruit shake if I wanted to grow any taller.

I shook my head.

“Trust me, he was looking at you. He still is, actually.”

Startled, I looked around to try and see if anyone was indeed looking at us and just my luck, the bell rang and almost every student inside the cafeteria started to get up from their table and flocks off to wherever their class is. Aside from all the body and heads heading to the cafeteria exit, there wasn’t a single pair of eyes directed at our table. I heard Chanyeol loudly get up, ing my backpack onto my chest as he stood beside me. Slowly getting up, I kept my eyes alert to almost everyone, hoping to catch someone.

“Stop glaring, he already left. Now, hurry up,” Chanyeol said as he dragged me to our next class, and there I sat down with someone I didn’t know so I assumed he was a transfer student.

It wasn’t hard to notice when you get a new seatmate in class, especially when the previous one wore a heavily rimmed reading glass and baggy clothes and had his face molding itself on the textbook – almost literally. So when I sat down on my chair and noticed a good looking guy wearing a simple tee and jeans with deliciously tanned skin I almost choked on air because one: I am not one to do well under pressure and sitting next to someone this handsome forces my brain to work overtime, and two: it’s definitely hard to try and focus on the lecture when you’re constantly trying to sneak a peek at your side. He stayed silent though, looking straight forward and paying me no mind. He was biting the tip of his pen as he tried to process whatever

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter