Special Chapter: Lovers in Shanghai

From Real to Reel Life?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This is a special chapter to celebrate the 100th chapter and also to thank all who continue to support and read From Real to Reel Life?

London

BLUE JERP, the rock band that is taking the world by storm. They consist of four young men in their early 20s. All are Korean-British that are based in London.

Burning John is the lead guitarist/second vocalist of the band. Whenever he is playing his guitar he is burning with passion. Girls can’t stop to fall in love with him. It was said that in every country or city that they performed he will end up having a special girl. But apparently those are only rumors.

Lovely Ethan is the drummer of the band. He is loved by all ages mostly by older women. As they say, he is the brother every older sister wish to have. No matter how girls tried to get close to him he would always keep a distance. If he is not in the band, his childhood dream is to be a priest.

Untouchable Rupert is the bassist of the band. He came from a rich family in London. His parents at first are not in favor of him being in a band but later on agreed as he proves to them that it’s his passion. They were even proud of him because half of his earnings all go to the charitable institution that their family establish.

Emotional Phillip is the lead singer/guitarist of the band. With every song he sings, he gives his full emotion. He makes sure that the listener will understand the song and will capture their hearts. But no one have ever captures his heart. That’s what all people know.

Aside from being a well know band, they are also the four of the most eligible bachelor of London. None of them are in a relationship.

 

New York

Margiela is a well known model in New York. She’s every designer’s favourite model. They love how her beauty mesmerized anyone who sees her.

She would always be the final model to walk the ramp in every designer’s fashion show latest collections.  As they say, save the best for last. But why they prefer Margiela?

Designers know for a fact that people were all waiting for the mysterious model Margiela. Mysterious model… Yes, that’s how they all call her.

She doesn’t share much information of her personal life. What the New York modelling scene knew is that she’s a Korean-American. Born in Seoul but grew up in New York. No one knew who her parents are. It’s also a mystery if Margiela is her real name. She never gave a surname to trace her ancestor.

 

Pudong International Airport, Shanghai (June 2014)

Margiela is already at the airport waiting for the car that will take her from the airport to Grand Hyatt Shanghai Hotel. She was with her personal manager/friend Jun.

Jun: Margiela you still haven’t told me why you accepted this special event in Shanghai? I thought you will only accept fashion shows or events in New York.

Margiela: Jun this one is special.

Jun: Special? What makes a film festival in Shanghai special?

Margiela: It is.

Jun didn’t ask her anymore because he knew that she won’t further explain it. They maybe friends but there are still a lot of things that she kept from him. 

 

BLUE JERP boys at that time are also waiting for the car that will take them to the same hotel, Grand Hyatt Shanghai. They are in Shanghai for the last stop in Asia of their World Tour.

John: What time will the car arrive? Who are the local producers of our show here? They should have made sure that everything is ready before our arrival.

Ethan: Our plane just landed fifteen minutes ago. Probably they are here already and just making sure that we are safe.

Rupert: Ethan is right. Remember what happened in our last concert?

John: Whatever. I’ll just go to the rest room.

Rupert: I’ll go with you.

Ethan: (Tap Phillip’s shoulder) Hyung, what’s wrong?

Phillip: (Smile) You call me that because they are not here.

Ethan: You know how much I would love to call you that way. We maybe are living now in London but my heart is still yearning for my homeland.

Phillip: I know how you feel. If only we can go back now.

Ethan: Why don’t we go then?

Phillip: Would you go without John and Rupert?

Ethan: I still don’t understand why they don’t want to go back home.

Phillip: They still can’t forget how people reacted to our concert there.

Ethan: But that’s already three years ago. Why can’t they forget about it?

Phillip: Because they are not you Ethan. You always have a forgiving heart.

Ethan: How about you? Why did you easily forget about it? Aren’t you the one who received the most negative comments during our concert there?

Phillip: I did but there’s something good that happened there.

Ethan knew what he meant. Few minutes later, John and Rupert are back. They were also informed that the car is ready.

 

Shanghai Film Festival (June 2014)

Shanghai Film Festival was scheduled the night of Margiela’s arrival. She opted to wear a black lace gown. She decided to have this to show her iness but still in a conservative way. She knew for a fact that their perspective in Shanghai is different from New York.

As expected, a lot of people are waiting for her arrival and walk at the red carpet. She mesmerized the people present there and also the viewers at home who are watching the live broadcast of the said event.

 

Grand Hyatt Hotel, Shanghai (June 2014)

Those viewers include the BLUE JERP boys who are watching at their hotel room.

Rupert: Oh! Mysterious Margiela is in Shanghai also.

Ethan looked at Phillip but the older guy is focused on watching the live broadcast.

John: Really?! I thought she don’t accept offers outside New York. I heard she often declined offers.

Rupert: Yes. My mom invited her on one of our charity event last year but she declined.

John: I think she wants higher fee. You know woman like her who knows that they are beautiful is using that tactic to earned more.

Ethan: Maybe she’s just busy. She doesn’t look like someone who used her beauty to gain more.

John: Really?! How sure are you? Do you know her?

Ethan: I don’t! What I’m saying is don’t judge someone without knowing the truth.

Phillip: You both stop that now. Leave the lady alone. 

They all just continue to watch the live broadcast.

 

Margiela immediately went back to the hotel after the event. She doesn’t want to stay longer to avoid any interviews.

Jun: You want to go out for dinner. I’ve checked the hotel’s restaurant and it’s exclusive for guests of the hotel only.

Margiela: Are you sure about that Jun?

Jun: I know you want privacy that’s why I choose this hotel.

Margiela: I’ll just take a shower and change to something that they won’t recognize me.

Jun: I’ll also change first and be back after thirty minutes. Will that be enough time for you?

Margiela: Yes.  

 

 

After thirty minutes, both are now sitting at the restaurant. No one recognize Margiela as her look for that night is not the Margiela that people will expect to see.

Margiela: Do you think people will still recognize me as Margiela?

Jun: Maybe?

Margiela: Really?!

Jun: If they will look at you closely. But on a second thought, I think even if they do that they won’t still know its Margiela.

Margiela: I don’t know if I should feel happy because no one will recognize me or feel upset because it means I don't look pretty right now?

Jun: They won’t recognize you because they've never seen a simple Margiela. You always look glamorous in front of the people. Don't think it's because you are not pretty.

Margiela: Well you have a point there. So, what are we going to have?

Jun: We will have the best dishes in Shanghai. I pre-order our dinner while you are showering. I know you wouldn’t want to stay long here.

Margiela: Thanks Jun. I really can count on you.

Jun: Margiela... I am your friend. You can trust me.

Margiela: (Smile) And I’m really thankful on you for that.

Margiela’s POV: I’m sorry Jun but I can’t still tell you everything yet. In time.

 

The two are already half way of their dinner when BLUE JERP enters the same restaurant. Just like Margiela they also want privacy. After their press conference, they immediately went straight there.

Rupert: Are you sure the food here is good and we will have privacy?

John: Of course! I’ve asked our manager to make sure of that.

Rupert: Well… I think you are right. So far, it’s only the four of us and those two there.

The three men all look at where Rupert is looking at.

John: Who are they? I know this restaurant is only open for VIP guests who are staying at the hotel.

Ethan: What makes you think that they are not staying here?

John: Look at what the lady is wearing.

Ethan: What’s wrong with that?

John: Shouldn’t she be wearing a dress in this type of restaurant?

Rupert: John, we are not in London. Don’t expect everyone to wear something formal in places like this.

While the three are discussing of what the lady is wearing, Phillip is just staring at the woman.

Phillip’s POV: Natural beauty is what makes every woman stand out among the rest.

Ethan: Hyu… I mean Phillip. What’s wrong?

Phillip: Nothing. She just looks familiar to me.

John: Familiar? You mean you’ve met a woman like that?

Ethan: Will you stop judging people whom you don’t know personally.

Phillip: Ethan…

Rupert: John you should stop too.

John: Ok! I’m sorry Ethan it’s just I’m really like that.

Ethan: I understand John. But I hope in the future you’ll learn to forget and trust again.

John: I already said I’m sorry. That’s enough for now.

Rupert: Let’s order now.

They order their food. While waiting for the food to come, Rupert remembers Margiela.

Rupert: I wonder at what hotel Margiela is staying here in Shanghai.

Ethan: (Look at Phillip then to Rupert) Why?

Rupert: Well… let’s just say I really find her mysterious and would want to meet her in person.

John: You want to meet Margiela in person?

Rupert smile.

John: Don’t tell me the reason why you wanted her to be part of your charity event is to see her?

Rupert: Well… let’s just say part of it.

John: And you still want to see her after declining that offer?

Rupert: Yes.

John: Do you like her?

Rupert: John, she’s not my type. I’m just really curious about her.

John: I told you there’s nothing to be curious with that type of woman.

Ethan: John!

John: What?

Just then their food came already.

Phillip: Let’s stop this and eat now. We still have to rehearse later.

The boys are enjoying their food. They didn’t notice that the people eating at the other table left already.

 

When Margiela reached her room, Jun ask her about what they heard at the restaurant.

Jun: I didn’t know that BLUE JERP are here too.

Margiela just smile.

Jun: Margiela…

Margiela: Yes?

Jun: About what the Rupert guy is saying regarding you declining the offer for charity event in London.

Margiela: What about that?

Jun: I know you declined the offer because you have a schedule event in New York that time right?

Margiela: Yes.

Jun: And the talent fees you received on that fashion show were all donated to their charity event. How come he is saying like that to you?

Margiela: Maybe, he doesn’t know about it.

 

The next day, Jun is getting ready to leave the hotel.

Jun: Are you sure you will be fine alone here?

Margiela: I’m sure about that.

Jun: But…

Margiela: Don’t worry about me. I can handle everything.

Jun: Fine! But make sure to contact me if something that you can’t handle happens.

Margiela: I will.

Jun: Call me also before you leave here so I can estimate your time of arrival in New York.

Margiela: Noted on that.

Jun: Margiela…

Margiela: Jun, don’t worry about me ok?

Jun: I guess I can't do anything to change your mind right?

Margiela nods and smile.

Jun: Then, see you in two days.

Margiela: Yes. Take care.

Jun: You should be the one who should take good care.

After Jun left her room, Margiela check her clothes to see the best disguise outfit to wear for her planned activity.

 

BLUE JERP's Concert

Just like their previous concerts, the Shanghai concert is not different at all.

John showed his burning performance that made the girls in the venue went wild every time he play his guitar and sing.

Rupert the untouchable one keeps running on the stage but still make sure no one touch him.

Ethan’s charisma as always is the antidote to make the wild girls tame.

Phillip their emotional leader is like sharing stories while singing. But there’s something different in his performance tonight.

 

Grand Hyatt Hotel, Shanghai (June 2014)

After the concert, the organizer of the concert invited the boys for a celebration dinner.

Phillip: You go ahead with the dinner.

John: What do you mean we go ahead? Are you not joining us?

Phillip: I’m not really feeling well right now.

Ethan: Really? I can just stay here with you too.

Phillip: No need. You go and join them.

Rupert: He is right. Join us.

John: I’ll just go and change first. Let’s just meet at the lobby.

Rupert: Wait for me. I’ll change too.

Ethan and Phillip are staying on the same room. John and Rupert are staying at the other room just in front of their room.

Phillip: Don’t worry about me. I’ll be fine.

Ethan: Are you sure about that?

Phillip: Very sure.

Ethan: I’ll just buy food for you.

Phillip: No need. I’ll just go to the restaurant that we had our dinner last night.

Ethan: Will you be fine with that?

Phillip: Food there is nice and privacy is excellent too. So, there’s really nothing to worry about.

Ethan: Then I’ll better get ready now too.

Phillip got his phone and saw some photos online. He smiles.

He was still looking at the photos when Ethan went out of the bathroom.

Ethan: Looks like someone is making my sick Hyung happy.

Phillip just smile.

Ethan: I’ll be leaving now Hyung.

Phillip: Have fun!

But before Ethan left, he said something that made Phillip smile.

Ethan: Hyung… I hope you will meet her soon.

 

The three boys were already on their way out of the hotel when a woman entering the hotel caught their attention.

Rupert’s POV: That girl looks familiar.

John’s POV: Are girls here really prefers wearing clothes like that?

Ethan’s POV: She’s here! Does it mean she’s also staying at the same hotel as ours?

 

BLUE JERP's Celebration Dinner

The three boys were already in the celebration dinner when Rupert open up the conversation about the woman they saw at the hotel.

Rupert: That girl really looks familiar.

Ethan: Who?

Rupert: The girl we saw when we are leaving the hotel.

Ethan: Maybe you’ve seen her somewhere.

Rupert: Probably.

John: Why are you even thinking of her?

Rupert: Nothing really. I just find her mysterious.

John: Mysterious? (He laughed) Here you go again getting curious with mysterious woman like that Margiela.

Ethan choke when he heard John mentioned Margiela. John handed him a glass of water.

John: Hey! Be careful when you eat.

Ethan: Sorry. I’m just really hungry.

They continue to eat then Rupert already remember where he saw that girl.

Rupert: I know now where I saw that girl.

John: That girl again. When are we going to stop this conversation about her?

Ethan: Where?

Ethan’s POV: Where did he saw her? How come I didn’t see her?

Rupert: At the concert venue. She was sitting at the VIP section.

Ethan: VIP section?

Ethan’s POV: Is that the reason why Hyung is always looking at the VIP section during the concert?

John: So she’s at the VIP section during our concert. Can we then stop talking about her already?

 

Grand Hyatt Hotel, Shanghai (June 2014)

Back at hotel, Phillip is now entering the restaurant when he saw someone sitting at the same table the previous night. It's the same girl that his fellow band mates saw while leaving the hotel.

He walks towards that table and stop just beside the girl’s chair. The girl lifted up her head and smile when she saw the one standing beside her.

Phillip: I notice that you are eating alone. Is it ok if I join you?

Margiela: You look someone that won't do harm. So, I guess you can.

She smile.

Phillip: Thank you.

He sits at the chair in front of her. He calls the waiter and orders the same food as her.

Phillip: I hope you don’t mind if I order the same food as yours.

Margiela: Not at all.

Phillip: Why is a beautiful lady like you eating alone?

Margiela: Just want to have some alone time.

Phillip: Oh! Did I disturb you? Should I just leave you then?

Margiela: When I agree that you can joined me it means I’m allowing you to invade my alone time.

They both laughed with what she said and then remember what happened three years ago.

 

Seoul, South Korea (June 2011)

BLUE JERPS concert in Seoul is not as successful as they hope it would be. Feeling a bit down, their manager decided to take early morning flight to London the next day.

Both John and Rupert agreed. Phillip and Ethan decided to take the late night flight the next day.

Their manager allowed them after they assure him that they will be careful not to attract attention and to return to London on their scheduled flight.

Ethan stayed because he wanted to meet his relatives in Seoul. Though he is now living in London, he never failed to continue his communication with them.

Ethan: Are you sure you’re fine to go out alone?

Phillip: Yes. Don’t worry I have my disguise.

Ethan: Hyung… Can I call you that way since we are here in Seoul?

Phillip: You can call me that even when we are back in London.

Ethan: Really?

Phillip: (He nods) Just make sure John or Rupert won’t hear you.

Ethan: I understand Hyung. (He smile) I’m so happy!

Phillip: It shows. Go ahead now and meet your relatives.

Ethan: I’ll be back around 7PM so we can still have dinner before leaving to the airport.

Phillip: Alright. Be careful.

Ethan: You too Hyung.

 

Before exploring Seoul, Phillip went to the coffee shop near the hotel.

Phillip’s POV: It’s better to eat something first.

He ordered cheese cake and Iced Americano. He went to the table in a secluded area of the coffee shop.

After fifteen minutes, the coffee shop started to get crowded. Then suddenly someone was standing just in front of his table.

Margiela: I notice that you are alone. The coffee shop is a bit crowded and I can’t find an empty table anymore. Is it ok if I share table with you?

He lifted his head and was captivated by the beauty of the woman standing in front of him.

Phillip: (Smile) Sure.

Margiela: Thanks.

Phillip: Are you Korean?

Margiela: I don’t give information about myself but since you are kind to share this table with me I’ll answer you. I’m Korean-American. So, you can still say I’m Korean. But I’m not really good with Korean language.

Phillip: Now, I get it why you talk to me in English.

Margiela: You don’t look like a local here too that’s why I ask you in English.

Phillip: I’m Korean-British. Like you I’m also not really good in Korean language.

Margiela: Looks like we’re the same. Just like our taste with food.

They both smile while looking at the food on top of their table. Margiela also ordered cheese cake and Iced Americano.

Phillip: And both strangers to their home land.

Margiela: You can say that.

Phillip: Miss…

Margiela: Margiela... and you are?

Phillip: Phillip…

Margiela: There’s no need to tell me your Family name. And don’t worry, I don’t mind if the name you told me is not your real name.

Phillip: Does it mean?

Margiela: Like what I’ve told you, I don’t give personal information to anyone.

Phillip: I understand.

They continue to eat. Margiela was about to finished her cheese cake when Phillip ask her something.

Phillip: Margiela…

Margiela: Yes?

Phillip: Since we are both strangers here, would you want to explore the city with me?

Margiela looked at him thinking if it’s really safe to go with him.

Phillip: I’m sorry if…

Margiela: Yes!

Phillip: Yes?

Margiela: Yes I would want to explore the city with you. Anyway, I haven’t done it since I only have my free day today.

Phillip: You just arrive today?

Margiela: Two days ago. But I have to do my work first.

He didn’t ask about her work since he noticed that she doesn’t like to talk about her personal life.

Phillip: Same as mine. I’m just thankful they allowed me to stay first.

Margiela: So, where are we going after this? Do you have any idea?

Phillip: Is there a particular place that you want to go?

Margiela: Not really.

Phillip: Then I know of a perfect place where we can enjoy.

Margiela: Really?

Phillip: Yes! But first we need to change into something that will make us look different.

Margiela: What for?

Phillip: Just to look different.

Margiela: If that’s what you prefer, then I’m fine with it.

Phillip: Once you are done we will go.

Phillip’s POV: I think she don’t know that I am the leader of BLUE JERP. It’s not safe for her if people will see me with her.

Margiela’s POV: I’m not sure of his real intention for doing this but it will be good for me too. No one will know that Margiela the mysterious model is here.

 

Right after Margiela finished her Iced Americano, Phillip asked her to go to a shop near the hotel. When they reached the place, the manager immediately lead them to the VIP room.

Margiela: What are we doing here?

Phillip: We need to change. I told you we need to look different.

Margiela: All right.

Two of the staff then approach each of them and lead them to separate fitting room. After almost fifteen minutes both went out of their respective fitting room.

Both smile when they see what they are wearing.

Margiela: Do I really have to wear this? Even my hair they need to style like this.

Phillip: That’s part of it.

Margiela: I still don’t understand it why we have to look different.

Phillip: I want us to look different because…

Phillip’s POV: Should I tell her who I really am? If I do that, will she still go with me?

Margiela: Phillip?

Phillip: Because I want you to remember this even after you left Seoul already. I want us to get out of our real self. I want us to do what we are not used to do. Let’s pretend just for this day that we are not who we really are.

Margiela’s POV: One day of not being Margiela? That’s my real plan for staying one more day in Seoul. Why does he want to do that too? Is he someone who also can’t do what normal people are doing?

Phillip: If you are not comfortable with that…

Margiela: I’m good with that. I haven’t done something like this before so I’m with you on this.

Phillip: Really?

Margiela: Yes.

Before the two left the shop, they took a photo together. They are given two copies of it.

 

Grand Hyatt Hotel, Shanghai (June 2014)

Phillip: Three years ago we first met in a coff

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter