Familiar Faces

The Outcast Club
No More - f(x)
 
--------------------------
 
“It’s you, it’s you!” the girl’s ringlets bounced up and down as she hopped like a hyperactive kid, “I didn’t think I’d see you again!”
 
Rather harshly, Yura yanked herself out of the girl’s embrace, “I think you have the wrong person.”
 
The girl’s face fell as she stared up at her sadly, “You… don’t remember me?”
 
“I can't remember someone I've never seen before,” she said abruptly.
 
“No, I’m sure it’s you! Han Yura!” She searched frantically for something on her body before she picked up a necklace hooked around her neck, “Do you remember this?”
 
Yura leaned in and scrutinized it.
 
“You helped me against those bullies – Hyeri and her gang. You gave me back my necklace before they could break it. You saved my life.”
 
Yura was at a loss of words, and vaguely remembered running into the three royal pests and a small, timid girl who thanked her endlessly.
 
“Petite,” she began, “You’re that petite girl.”
 
“You remember me!” She flashed a jubilant smile. Yura gave her an awkward smile back, but failed.
 
“I’m Shin Haera,” she pulled at her nametag on her blazer, “I’m in the 11th year,” Haera smiled warmly at Yura’s nametag, “Same as you!”
 
Yura let out an uneasy smile, “Yeah, it seems like it.”
 
“Okay, now that everybody’s been introduced – I assume – I’ll explain a bit about our club for our new member,” Yoomi said giddily. Yura shook her head before leaning back against one of the tables. Haera followed her like a lost puppy.
 
“I’m Jung Yoomi, Ms. Jung, or ssem, as everyone calls me,” she introduced, combing her fingers through her red bob, “And I’m the teacher supervisor of the Help-a-Friend Club.”
 
Everyone clapped.
 
“Thank you,” Yoomi curtsied, and some laughed. Yura rolled her eyes inwardly. “Now, we’ll be going around in a circle, and everyone, please say a few things about yourself.”
 
Really? Are we in kindergarten? Yura moaned.
 
“We’ll start with Namjoon,” she cleared .
 
“I’m Namjoon, or Rapmon if you forgot already. I’m not sure what to say about myself, so I’ll talk a bit about how this club got started,” he drew in a breath, “I was in grade nine when I started this club. Growing up, disabilities were frowned upon, and everyone treated disabled kids differently. Of course, I was no exception,” he looked ashamed, “But that changed when my childhood friend, Yoongi, came into town.”
 
Suga’s ears reddened, “Dude.”
 
“It’s true,” Rapmon grinned, “He shouldered a lot of burden with his disability, but he could do whatever I could do, and so much more.”
 
“You make me sound like I was abnormal,” Suga shook his head, and laughter ensued.
 
“In any case,” Rapmon chuckled, “I wanted to create a place for people of all ages to feel comfortable in the school environment. A bully-free zone where everyone feels included, respected, and where everyone is friends with each other. Like one big happy family. So, HFC was born.”
 
“And even when we graduate, we hope that our members will carry it on so that the club remains available to students in the school.” Suga added.
 
Yura thought about that with a small, warm feeling swirling in her stomach. Their mission was admirable, and for a second, she felt glad to have chosen to be a part of such a devoted club.
 
“I’m Suga, a.k.a Min Yoongi,” Suga said next.
 
J-Hope grinned, “You mean Agust D—“
 
Enough,” Suga cast him a dark look, and J-Hope quickly closed his mouth. “Namjoon here already took all the good words, so I have nothing more to say. I’m the co-president of HFC.”
 
Yoomi joyfully clapped her hands, “Good, now Jungkook!”
 
Yura’s eyes flickered towards the boy as he straightened up, “Jeon Jungkook, seventeen, junior year. I’m the head caretaker of the members here – especially the ones with disabilities.”
 
“Kookie helps us a lot,” Jimin added, “Without him, it’d be hard for us to get by.”
 
Jungkook looked embarrassed, but said nothing more.
 
One by one, all the members introduced themselves. Yura learned that Jimin had a prosthetic leg but aimed to be a dancer, J-Hope left his family to come to Seoul, Haera was childhood friends with Suga and Rapmon, Jin was blind since birth, and V was the quietest (and shiest).
 
Soon, it was Yura’s turn.
 
“I’m Han Yura, a junior. I don’t really have anything else to say.”
 
Yoomi gave her a look, “You should say a little bit more—“
 
“That’s all the information we need, ssem! We’ll get to know more about her during the time we spend together in the club, right?” Haera helpfully smiled.
 
Yura breathed a silent sigh of relief. Suddenly, she felt overwhelmingly grateful to Haera.
 
“Haera’s right,” Rapmon agreed, “We have plenty of time to get acquainted. Now, we should start on club activities.”
 
Yoomi seemed to give in and forget about the whole ordeal, “Oh, that’s right! We’re going to be hosting a party at the end of the year!”
 
“A… party?” Yura furrowed her eyebrows.
 
“We do it every year,” Jin spoke, “Every year, we try to get more and more people to come. We hope to have 80 people at least!”
 
“Eighty is a bit of a stretch, since last year, only twenty came. Including us. And the teachers.” Suga shook his head.
 
Plus people who only came for the food, V wrote on a dry-erase board. Yura had been informed that that was how he communicated with others who did not know sign language.
 
“Yeah, that kind of ,” J-Hope stuck out his tongue. Yura was stunned, Only twenty? How do they find the courage to hold this annually?
 
“It’s okay!” Yoomi banged her fist on the table. Yura jolted in surprise. “We can have at least eighty come this year. We can do it!”
 
Everyone cheered, and Yura tilted her head in amusement. So far, HFC was definitely not an ordinary club.
 
“So, we will be dedicating most of our meetings on making this end of the year party a success.” Yoomi explained.
 
“We need someone to get the materials – maybe brainstorm ideas for decorating the gym and such.” Rapmon pointed out.
 
In a matter of seconds, Yura felt an arm linking firmly around hers, “We’ll do it!”
 
Yura’s eyes widened in shock as she gawked at Haera, who was smiling so sweetly that she couldn’t refuse.
 
“Great! Yura and Haera, please grab the materials in the office beside the gym. In the meantime, we’ll brainstorm ideas and themes.”
 
Damn, I wanted to brainstorm, Yura dejectedly glanced down at the little Haera, who still clung onto her arm. Unable to shake off her iron grip, Yura groaned quietly. What did I sign up for?
 

___________________

Double update for my lovely muzicians~ :D

-muzikmaster.