Haze

The Forgotten Pieces (Sequel)

Chapter 18: Haze

Their feet tapped against the hard cement while their hands grabbed the round railing to balance themselves. None could have known which did more work, the hands or the legs as the owners basically lifted themselves up the stairs with the help of the railing but yet kept their legs going, continuously touching the ground.

The lift had been 5 seconds from reaching the ground floor but it was too slow. He was unwilling to wait for even a second and had been the first to rush towards the stairs, his brothers following along.  By logic, the journey was only 6 levels of a building and he was getting through it by stairs. It was a short journey, one that would have lasted less than 3 minutes with the speed he was going at now. Perhaps, if he was in his right mind, he would have noticed that.

However, he was beyond that.

He could feel every single step he took. He could hear every noise his shoes made when it touched the ground. He could see his hand constantly moving forward, grasping another part of the pole. He could feel the beads of sweat that were dropping down from his forehead.

All these only told him one thing, he was going too slowly.

The flight of stairs seemed never ending as compared to what his senses were receiving. All he saw was a flight of stairs after another, even when there was only two more to go. In his vision, there was only long blocks of cement stacked up which made up the stairs. And so, he sped up.

If not for the number 6 written in big bold black ink mocking him from beside the door, he would have never seen it. In fact, he felt the mocking even before he saw the 6. Adrenaline gushing through his veins, he pushed hard at the door and started running towards the left, clear of his destination despite the haze his mind was filled with.

It was that exact haze that caused his failure in realizing that the lift had announced its arrival on the same floor with a ‘ding’.

It was that exact haze that caused his failure in realizing that someone had joined his pace now.

It was that exact haze that caused his failure in realizing that behind him, a huge commotion had occurred.

It was also the same kind of haze in the man running beside the first that caused the failure to realize his competitor.

Reaching the destination at the same time and having the same idea, the two of them broke down the door and shouted something that caused the haze to disappear and realization to occur.

“Byungmi ah!"

 

A/N: I'm sorry for the late update again. Junior college in Singapore is a freaking killer. Sigh. I sincerely apologize. 

On another note, I really enjoyed writing this chapter. I'm finding back my writing skills after doing some reading yesterday. Who's the first guy? And who's the second? Bet you guys did not expect this. Haha. I was originally going to just put the first guy and hang you guys there, but hey, too many cliffys . Next chapter should be the big reveal! I hope you guys enjoyed this! ^^ 

Any Singaporeans should understand how fitting my title is for the current situation HAHA. 

COMMENTS&SUBSCRIPTIONS&VOTESARELOVED!~ <3