Theme 155

VIXX 300 Theme Challenge
Title: Mutation
Pairing: hinted Chasang, HyuKen, Luck, and Rahyuk
Related Chapter: none
Word Count: 740

                     

Sanghyuk had always felt that his mutation was a curse. From his ability to heal just about anything to his golden skin, he felt like he was a walking monster. That idea wasn’t exactly helped by the hundreds of humans – normal humans – screaming at him, calling him a freak and wishing death upon him.  He’d give anything to be normal like them, to not be a mutant. At the very least, he wished he could be like Hakyeon, Taekwoon, or Jaehwan since all three looked normal even if they weren’t. Heck, if he had to be a healer then why couldn’t he be like the hundred or so other healers around the world who looked normal?

“At least you have us, right?” Wonsik would always smile when Sanghyuk mentioned this thought, “we’re just as weird looking.” He’d then point to the gills on his neck and Hongbin’s wings. Sanghyuk would smile and nod, but he was sure that his friends could tell he wasn’t comforted by such words. Wonsik would sigh, letting the subject go but sticking close to Sanghyuk for a while and pointing out little things that made being a mutant awesome as casually as possible. Once, he’d even cut his finger and begged Sanghyuk to heal it, pointing out right after that Sanghyuk wouldn’t have been able to help him had he been human. Sanghyuk would have said Wonsik cut his finger on purpose, but knew in his heart that it was just a lucky coincidence.

Hakyeon always knew for sure when he felt that way. The telekinetic mutant knew exactly when Sanghyuk was thinking about it, when he was cursing his powers, and made straight for the healer’s room. More than a few nights were spent just the two of them, the older trying to reassure the younger that the mutant haters were wrong and that he was beautiful with his golden skin. That he looked like a god come down to earth to help. Sanghyuk sometimes let Hakyeon’s words work, pushing his self-hate to the back of his mind.

Jaehwan might not know like Hakyeon did when Sanghyuk was extra full of self-hate, but once he realized he worked just as hard to make the other happy again. Once Jaehwan noticed that Sanghyuk was extra upset, he’d rush to Sanghyuk’s side and stay there all day and night until Sanghyuk was feeling better. At first, Sanghyuk had tried pushing him away, not at all used to people being so touchy. But then he’d gotten used to it and even found that it did make him feel a little better.

Taekwoon wasn’t at all like the others, going out of his way to make Sanghyuk feel better. No, Taekwoon was never sure how to make Sanghyuk feel better, so often times his comfort came in the form of an awkward hug or pat on the shoulder. Sanghyuk was quick to realize just how much effort it took for Taekwoon to even manage that, making such gestures very important. Maybe that as why Taekwoon probably had the easiest time cheering Sanghyuk up and pulling him away from his self-hating thoughts.

All four cared so much about it, about what he thought of himself. It was touching. They didn’t just see his golden skin, they saw him. they loved him for who he was, never spending time thinking about his golden skin and how weird it was.

“Hey,” Hongbin said, dropping down beside Sanghyuk and pulling him from his thoughts, “what are you thinking about?”

“I’m thinking,” Hyuk said, “that maybe……..maybe it’s not such a bad thing that I am the way I am.”

“What brought this on?” Hongbin asked, clearly a little surprised. In the whole year and three months that Hongbin had known Sanghyuk, the other had always hated his healing abilities and golden skin. For him to change his view so suddenly……..the winged mutant was very curious.

“Just thinking about it,” Sanghyuk tried to explain, “and……I don’t know if you and the others can love me even when I am the way I am, if my mother can still love me……..then why should anyone else matter?”

“Took you long enough to get that through your thick skull,” Hongbin laughed, “We’ve all been telling you that for ages.”

“I know,” Sanghyuk laughed, “but like you said, I have a thick skull. It takes a while for things to sink in.” Hongbin laughed, patting his friends shoulder.

A/N: so, this might end up turning into a full story depending on if my inspiration dies out or not. If the idea stays strong and I get a full story out of this, I’ll be sure to give you guys the link.