Theme 108

VIXX 300 Theme Challenge
Title: Novel
Pairing: HyuKen, Luck
Related Chapter: 95, 102, 116, 126, 135, 146, 153, 161, 170, 187, 208, 227,
Word Count: 1255

                     

Sanghyuk sighed as he finished typing the last words of his newest book. It had taken him a lot longer to finish then any of his other books had taken which kind of surprised him. At the same time, he hadn’t drawn from personal experience for those other books like this one he was just finishing. Everything else was based on things he’d seen happen to other Anubis that he’d known back in the day.

It had been Hakyeon’s idea that he take up work as a writer. He’d been telling the dhampir and Hongbin about his past, the people he’d met and history he’d had a hand in creating, when Hakyeon suddenly announced that he should write about it. After thinking about it, Sanghyuk had agreed. He needed the money to pay for his rent anyway and it wasn’t like his past was doing him any good just sitting there in his head.

Eighteen books later, Sanghyuk was a well-known and well respected novelist in South Korea. Well, his penname was well-known and respected. Sanghyuk had taken the penname ‘Hyuk’ early on in order to avoid any possible fans knocking on the front door of the apartment building, risking the safety of all those living there. Wonsik did the same thing when it came to his songs, putting out everything he created under the fake name ‘Ravi.’

“Knock, knock,” Hongbin called, opening the door, “how goes the writing?”

“Just finished,” Sanghyuk said, stretching as he got up, “what brings you here? I thought Hakyeon said you had work.”

“I did,” Hongbin nodded, “but my appointments between ten and one had to cancel.”

“Hope nothing’s wrong,” Sanghyuk frowned slightly, “do you know why they had the cancel.”

“One of the dogs got sick, so the owner didn’t think it was a good idea to get him fixed right now,” Hongbin listed off, “and the other had a family emergency that needed to be taken care of, so they rescheduled for next week.”

“Alright,” Sanghyuk nodded, “so you want to get lunch?”

“That’s why I came by,” Hongbin laughed, “were do you want to go? And you think we should ask Wonsik?”

“He still smells like he was in a fire, so no,” Sanghyuk wrinkled his nose, a clear sign of how much he hated the burn smell that had been following Wonsik around for the past week, “and I don’t care where we go. Just so long as I get to eat.”

“Alright,” Hongbin nodded, “oh, you should get a coat. It’s cold.”

“It’s cold?” the older raised an eyebrow.

“Hakyeon said its cold,” the younger shrugged, “how else do you think I know this stuff?”

“Hey!” Sanghyuk called to the closest mummy, “find me a coat? Just a fall jacket.” The mummy grunted, bowing slightly before walking away. One of the arms suddenly dropped to the floor and the mummy passed, looking down at its arm. If Hongbin could see its face through the bandages, he was sure it would have a confused expression as it tried to understand what had happened. The arm twitched, causing Hongbin to jump slightly

“Never seen that before,” Hongbin frowned, “and I don’t think I want to see it again. Kind of creepy.”

“I need to fix a lot of them,” Sanghyuk sighed, “that makes seven this week.”

“Seven?” Hongbin gasped, “You’re normally more on top of this stuff. What’s wrong?”

“No idea,” Sanghyuk frowned, “I just feel……off lately. My magic doesn’t seem to be as strong as it normally is as a result.”

“Off?” Hongbin questioned, but Sanghyuk made no attempt to explain.

Instead, he just grabbed the mummy’s fallen arm, chanted a few words and the limb reattached. Hongbin watched with a small smile as Sanghyuk patted the mummy’s head and told it to rest for the day. The mummy grunted happily, leaning into Sanghyuk’s touch before heading off to the storage closet all of Sanghyuk’s mummies slept in. At one time, Hongbin had wondered how all of the Anubis’ mummies could fit into such a small room. When asked, Sanghyuk had explained that he’d used in magic to connect the room to some kind of special dimension that he used for storage. Hakyeon had peeked inside once and was more than a little surprised to see that Sanghyuk had turned the space into a massive bedroom for his mummies.

“I’ll just go without the coat,” Sanghyuk shrugged, making his way back to Hongbin.

“You really care about them, don’t you?” Hongbin smiled.

“It’s my duty to care for them,” Sanghyuk replied, doing his best to sound detached, “looking after them is my reason to live, so I do everything I can to ensure that they’re cared for.”

“Oh!” Hongbin suddenly remembered, “Hakyeon said you had mail. Looks like you got another letter from your biggest fan.”

“Cool,” Sanghyuk couldn’t hold back the little smile that appeared on his face at such news.

Not long after his first book, he’d started getting fan mail. He loved all his fans, but one name had stuck out; Jung Taekwoon. Taekwoon had written countless times and Sanghyuk had written back, creating a pen pal relationship between them. The only problem was that Taekwoon was human and Sanghyuk wasn’t. But, Sanghyuk had often assured Hakyeon and Hongbin when they brought it up, it wasn’t like they would ever meet. Sanghyuk didn’t do public book signings and only a select few knew is face, where he lived, or real name. Taekwoon would never be able to find him, thus the secret of what he really was would never be exposed.

Unknown to Sanghyuk, Taekwoon was standing in the lobby of the apartment building at that exact moment.

“Taekwoonnie hyung!” Jaehwan called, running to his twin brother, “How are you? How was the trip?”

“I’m fine,” Taekwoon, real name Lee Taekwoon, smiled slightly, “the trip here was long. You know I hate to fly.”

“Sorry about that,” Jaehwan flashed his twin a sheepish look, “I just……I needed help and you’re the only person I know who can help. Who will help, actually.”

“What’s wrong?” Taekwoon frowned, “I thought you had made a lot of friends here. Why aren’t they helping you?”

“Well,” Jaehwan blushed, “it’s a love problem.”

Taekwoon sighed, regretting getting involved.

“I still don’t get why your friends can’t help,” Taekwoon said, following Jaehwan into the elevator.

“Well,” Jaehwan explained the situation, “he’s an Anubis and he wants someone who’ll live as long as he will, but I know he feels something for me. If he didn’t care, he wouldn’t still be so kind to me. None of my friends want to help because they don’t want to force Sanghyuk into anything. They’re all old like him, so I think that colours their judgment.”

“It would,” Taekwoon nodded, “but why do you want him? If he doesn’t want you, why keep trying?”

“Sanghyuk,” Jaehwan got a dreamy look on his face, “he’s so sweet. He cares a lot for everyone and he’s really wise. He’s…….he’s kind of perfect.”

“Ah,” Taekwoon nodded, a small smile on his face.

Sanghyuk sounded a lot like his own crush; Hyuk. Hyuk was a brilliant writer and Taekwoon always enjoyed reading his work. He enjoyed it even more when he was reading the letters that Hyuk would send him, responses to the letters Taekwoon sent him. The only problem was that Hyuk was human. No matter how much Taekwoon had come to care about the novelist, nothing could ever happen between them because of that.

A/N: the plot thickens. I think it’s pretty clear that Taekwoon likes Sanghyuk (well, he likes Hyuk, but since Hyuk is Sanghyuk…..). Add in the whole Ken likes Sanghyuk thing, mix in a pinch of Taekwoon and Jaehwan being bros and…..yeah, that’s one thick plot hahaha