Theme 102

VIXX 300 Theme Challenge

A/N: I just want to send a quick thank you out there to all of my subscribers. I don't say this nearly enough, but thank you so much for subscribing. And thank you so much to everyone who comments, I love seeing what you guys think <3

Title: Youth
Pairing: HyuKen
Related Chapter: 95, 108, 116, 126, 135, 146, 153, 161, 170, 187, 208, 227,
Word Count: 793

                     

Sanghyuk woke up to the scent of burning. For normal people, that would be cause for concern. For the Anubis, it simply meant that Wonsik, the resident ignis, was in a bad mood. Most likely, he’d gotten stuck while writing a song which meant the smell of burning would last for the rest of the week. When he’d first moved in five years prior, that had bothered Sanghyuk. Now it was just part of life in his building. More specifically, that was life on the twenty first floor.

The Anubis started to get up, but quickly realized that there was someone else in his bed who was using his arm as a pillow. Looking over, he found the floors resident nekomata, Jaehwan, curled up beside him. The older bit back a sigh. He had really thought he’d sealed off anyway Jaehwan could use to enter his apartment. And yet, he still managed to get past every spell Sanghyuk had cast on his apartment.

Sanghyuk pulled away, careful not to wake the much younger monster.

“Grab him some cloths,” he instructed the mummy waiting outside his bedroom, “Hakyeon would kill me if I kicked him out into the hall . Again, anyway.” The mummy grunted before heading off to do as ordered.

Sanghyuk returned to the room and just watched Jaehwan sleep. He liked the younger, he really did. A lot in fact. But he’d told Jaehwan countless times that it just wouldn’t work between them. Sanghyuk was old – ancient actually – and Jaehwan was so young. A child in comparison to the Anubis who’d spent his childhood walking among the pharaohs. Then there was the fact that Sanghyuk still had a couple thousand more years left of his life to go before he would even start to feel the effects of his old age. Jaehwan’s kind didn’t have that kind of life span, his was more similar to humans.

If Sanghyuk was going to take a lover, he planned to pick someone who would actually live longer than seven or eight decades. Even better, someone who would live as long as him. This meant that Jaehwan was out, which was unfortunate because Sanghyuk really did like him. But an Anubis could only pick one person, one soul, in their whole life to be their lover, their mate, and Sanghyuk refused to be alone for the rest of his years after Jaehwan died. He’d been alone enough as it was.

None of this mattered to Jaehwan, though. He kept showing up in Sanghyuk’s apartment no matter what the older did to stop him. Human locks defiantly didn’t work, but any spell Sanghyuk knew didn’t seem to work either.

“How’d you get in?” Sanghyuk asked when he noticed the fluffy cat ears on top of Jaehwan’s head twitching.

“Can’t tell you,” Jaehwan replied, sitting up and allowing the blankets to pool around his hips, “you’ll block them and then how will I get in again?”

“You could try not sneaking in at all,” Sanghyuk sighed, “Jaehwan, I’ve told you hundreds of times that we’re not going to be a couple. Why do you keep doing this?”

“I love you,” Jaehwan replied, looking determined, “and one of these days, you’re going to realize that you love me too.”

Sanghyuk sighed before walking over to the side of the bed. Jaehwan looked hopeful for a moment before Sanghyuk flicked his forehead.

“You’re still young, Jaehwan,” Sanghyuk said, “You’ll find someone else, someone who wants you as much as you want them. Stop chasing after me and go find them. Be happy, enjoy your life while you have it.”

“I am happy,” Jaehwan pouted, “I want to be with you, hyung. More than anything in the world.”

Sanghyuk sighed before leaving the room. Alone in the bed, Jaehwan curled up into a ball and tried not to cry. He understood why Sanghyuk kept telling him ‘no,’ but he was selfish. He wanted Sanghyuk more than he’d wanted anything else in his whole life. Sanghyuk didn’t even have to place a claim on him or anything like that, just so long as Jaehwan got to spend the rest of his days by the elder’s side he was happy. He wasn’t as young and foolish as the Anubis thought he was.

Alright, so maybe he was on the young side, but age was just a number. What did it really matter if he was only twenty two? What did it matter if Sanghyuk was thousands of years older than him? Hongbin was really old and he’d taken a lot of lovers younger than him. The same could be said for Ravi.

“Why can’t you just admit you like me?” Jaehwan sighed, face buried in Sanghyuk’s pillow, “I love you so much.”

A/N: poor Ken. I’m torn between understanding Hyuk, and yelling at him for hurting Ken.