singin' in the rain (without you)

PEEPHOLE ◎ [ a baeksoo drabble collection ]

TITLE: singin' in the rain (without you)
GENRE: fwp (fluff w/o plot), dumb, band!au
RATING: pg (b/c baekhyun says twice)
SUMMARY: kyungsoo is a good boyfriend who comes to watch baekhyun's first performance as a musical actor. or maybe not.

based on a real life event that happened ok baeksoo sails so hard
[kyungsoo literally went to go watch baek's musical L O L. with kyuhyun ofc.]

 


 

                To: Byuntae (~ ̄▽ ̄)~              

         Find me: row 18, mystery seat. Prize if you do :)

 

                It’s a little hard to watch a musical when you’re famous, Kyungsoo realizes as he pulls the hoodie of his gray sweater down farther over his head on Baekhyun’s D-Day. Of course this difficulty is multiplied by tenfold when the star of said musical is actually your boyfriend, your bandmate, and also your idiotic friend. (And if he’s threatened you into coming for moral support, that kind of friendly blackmail. The works.)

 

                Although they’ve all received a notice to turn electronics off, there are muted snaps of captured photos all around him in a twitching circumference and Kyungsoo puffs out his cheeks with a tiny frown when Kyuhyun, a senior labelmate, has to lean forward to ask the bunch to stop.

 

                “So what do I get for coming here again?” the vocal asks when he presses his back into the velvet seat again, voice in a whisper. Kyungsoo smiles at the tickles in his ear.

 

                “I’ll get Chanyeol to set up a blind date with you and his sister.”

 

                “As if; the stubborn oaf is never agreeing to that,” Kyuhyun says in disbelief.

 

                “Well,” Kyungsoo replies, a satisfied grin on his face, “let’s just say that I’ve got a few drafts saved in the EXO homepage that Chanyeol would be devastated to find coughing over our dashboard.”

 

                “How the hell are you all so damn cunning?” Kyuhyun asks with a shiver. Kyungsoo laughs cheekily in response.

 

                The secret is this: when you love someone a great deal, you grow to be very much like them. Just like the saying preaches. And so, like Baekhyun, Kyungsoo has done a little blackmailing of his own.

 

-◎-◎-◎-

 

                From: Byuntae (~ ̄▽ ̄)~

         I couldn’t find you! Where were you? :(

 

                To: Byuntae (~ ̄▽ ̄)~

         Oh, sorry – I had to pick up a call during the first few minutes but I forgot to take my ticket with me so they didn’t let me back innnnn

 

                To: Byuntae (~ ̄▽ ̄)~

         But then again the phone call was manager hyung saying there was an emergency schedule I needed to fill, so either way I couldn’t have watched it.

 

                From: Byuntae (~ ̄▽ ̄)~

         What?!?! But Kyungsoooooooooooooooooo you promised!

 

                From: Byuntae (~ ̄▽ ̄)~

         I shot hearts and stuff for you

 

         From: Byuntae (~ ̄▽ ̄)~

         And like, a lot of winks, too

 

         From: Byuntae (~ ̄▽ ̄)~

         Because you hate them.

 

 

                “What are you smiling at?” Kyuhyun asks, looking over the younger’s shoulder with a head prodding sideways as they’re walking out of the theatre once the musical ends. Kyungsoo’s lips tug upward in one direction as a response before the owner of them is concentrated on his phone again.

 

                To: Byuntae (~ ̄▽ ̄)~

         I said I’ll /try/ to be there. I made no promises!

 

                He can practically imagine the worn-out musical actor slumping in his seat at his messages.

 

                “Hey, I’m doing you a favor here – can I get some attention please?” Kyuhyun asks, nudging the smaller male with the side of his arms. “I can’t believe I’m feeling like a third wheel when the idiot’s not even here.”

 

                “Sorry, hyung,” Kyungsoo laughs, tucking his phone back into his pocket. Right as he does, it vibrates with a telling urgency his boyfriend needs tending to. “Where was the backstage room again?”

 

                “You promised Chanyeol’s sister, right?”

 

                “Well, sure, but the rest is entirely up to you,” Kyungsoo replies with a chuckle. His senior mock chokes him in response, strangling him in play.

 

                There are a few reasons to why Kyungsoo has brought Kyuhyun along on this journey he could very well have managed by himself. The first is that it’s a bit troublesome to be caught watching his bandmate’s first musical alone, what with their suspicious cuddling in line at the airport and even up on stage. The second, more subtly, is that he’d needed a ride. The third is the most important though, and quite shameless at that: Kyungsoo needs connections to enter the backstage waiting room, and Kyuhyun is the closest connection he’s got. He takes Baekhyun’s role when he’s on schedule, after all.

 

               “This little buddy’s with me,” said connection says to the security guard stationed at the entrance. Overly protective, Kyungsoo thinks, but he slips through anyway. Kyuhyun pats him on the back a couple of times to tell him that he’s heading back, and Kyungsoo turns his head around to give him a quick nod of gratitude.

 

                As soon as the brightness of the vanity lights hits his eyes, a shrill voice pierces the air.

 

                “Kyungsoo!

 

                Hello, boyfriend, Kyungsoo thinks as the boy runs up to him, mouth agape in shock and fingers grasping tightly around the phone he’d been spamming him with.

 

                “You… You came…?”

 

                The shorter laughs as an answer, and Baekhyun comes rushing in to hug him.

 

                “I thought you didn’t watch any of it!”

 

                “Yeah, and you thought I’d miss your first steps as an actor for a lousy schedule?” Kyungsoo says, smile stretching across his face in mischief when Baekhyun squeezes him once before letting go to properly look at him.

 

                “I don’t know, I just didn’t find a reason to not believe you when you told me… oh god, Kyungsoo, you’re an !”

 

                “I even took pictures,” Kyungsoo confesses, eyes crinkling at his rebellious actions against the rules announced when Baekhyun tries to lean in to kiss him. “Wanna see?”

 

                “Yeah, show me!” Baekhyun exclaims, kiss forgotten, dragging him over to the wide, flat, square of a sofa placed comfortably in the middle of the room. When they settle down, Kyungsoo unlocks his screen and shoves the phone in Baekhyun’s face.

 

                A dropped jaw greets him.

 

                “… Dude, no.”

 

                Kyungsoo doubles over in laughter as Baekhyun stares, dumbfounded, at him.

 

                “How did you even catch… that…? You…”

 

                Behold, on the wallpaper of Kyungsoo’s phone is displayed a very attractive Byun Baekhyun caught in what is probably the worst moment of the whole hour-long musical.

 

                “Delete that right now, Do Kyungsoo,” Baekhyun warns, fingers stationed at a dangerous angle.

 

                “Nope, never!” the elated boyfriend replies, raising the device in the air with peeling laughter. “It’s a nice face you got there, Baekhyun!”

 

                The two wrestle messily on the cushions as Baekhyun charges into him, raking softly over his sides to tickle him into giving up the potential blackmail material.

 

                “I swear to God you are just,” the musical actor yells when Kyungsoo quickly stuffs his phone into the back pocket of his jeans, “unbelievable!”

 

                “Shut up and get off me; you smell like sweat,” the vocal says, and Baekhyun is repelled in half of a second. How cute is that? Kyungsoo thinks.

 

                “But how’d I do today, seriously,” the older almost pouts, eyes slanting in a way that Kyungsoo really hates it. It makes him look cute, which is very annoying. “My mistakes showed a lot, huh?”

 

                The younger almost lies just to mock his boyfriend, but when those eyes shine back at him with desperation, Kyungsoo shakes his head and smiles. “No, I didn’t even know you messed up.”

 

                “Positive?” Baekhyun asks, frowning. Kyungsoo pecks him to reassure the insecure actor and those eyebrows on puppy-face relax again. “That’s a relief. But why did you lie to me like that? I was so sad right before you came in; you don’t even know.”

 

                “It’s my job to tease you, that’s why,” Kyungsoo responds, and Baekhyun pushes him down again.

 

                “.”

 

-◎-◎-◎-

 

                After Baekhyun has washed up and bailed out of the after party, Kyungsoo treats the actor to some shaved ice to-go’ed home. The tired actor almost chokes on the chewy mochi bits when he opens the text message sent to his phone.

 

                From: Eeeediot(ω)♥♥♥

         [image]

 

         I’ll be keeping this safe for a while ;)