03

The Heart of the Garden

Gina was making a daisy headband in a grove full of trees, swaying along with Kani, who was playing a sweet tune on the piano a couple yards away. Gina looked up from her half-way done daisy headband when she heard a rumble. Standing on her feet, she saw a huge cloud in the distance. Her brows furrowed, not knowing what was going on. The weather in this garden was always warm with a pleasant breeze. Never in her 8 years of living had she encountered such a thing. Gina held onto her daisy headband tightly and ran to Kani. Kani paused her music and eyed the cloud. She had read such things in some of the books that were given. It was called a storm. Kani shut the piano, grabbed Gina's hand and wordlessly ran to her older sister. She couldn't deny that she wasn't scared. She'd never seen something like this before.

Hyejin was whistling and hanging up some hand-washed clothing that the wore when her two frantic sisters ran to her. Hyejin looked up, curious when she heard a rumble. Slowly turning, she saw a flash of lightning. Her eyes widened and she moved to protectively stand next to her younger sisters.

"What's that?" Gina's voice quivered. Hyejin looked down to her before turning her eyes back to the storm. Was this what the legend was? Where the boys she was waiting for coming for them? Her eyes lit up with hope. She pulled Gina and Kani into her room and pulled out chairs for them to sit on. The sun was high in the sky as Hyejin spoke.

"Girls, I have something to confess to you." Hyejin took a deep breath in, "We weren't born here." Kani's eyes flickered and Gina looked utterly confused.

"We used to live out there. Someone put us here and we were never allowed to get back out," Hyejin sighed. Kani stood up, watching her sister with eyes filled with mixed emotions. She didn't know how to feel. She thought...her sister lied to her all this time about them having a happy life here.

"Sit please," Hyejin begged Kani. Kani looked at her sister with unreadable eyes but sat down unwillingly. 

"What?" Gina looked back and forth between her sisters. She understood that they came from out there, but she didn't know why they can't leave. And why this had to do with the sudden cloud. 

"I have a story to tell you guys," Hyejin managed a smile before telling them the legend, the boys, the seasons of the maze. Gina raised her eyebrows. It was a nice story, but it was very complicated, a bit to complicated for her 8 year old brain.

Kani abruptly stood up and left Hyejin's room. Gina watched her go and started to follow her. Hyejin sighed and told Gina to ignore the noises and go play. Gina complied and ran back to the grove and continued her daisy headband. Kani was at the piano, jabbing at the keys, playing a somewhat angered song. 

Hyejin turned her head back to the direction of the walls and smiled slightly. She was counting on them. 

Kyungsoo estimated that the time was around noon, so he stopped the boys and took out a pot and decided to make some foods. He took out some meat from his pack and vegetables and packs of ramen. But then he realized there was nothing to cook with. 

"Wait," Chanyeol's deep voice stopped Kyungsoo from putting everything away. Kyungsoo watched him make  a fire. Chanyeol's face was one of surprise as well, but he was giddy that he knew his talen was fire. That explained the red glitter that burst from his hands. Soon, a huge fire was starting and the boys warmed up.

"Neat talent," Baekhyun clapped his back while warming his freezing and miserable feet.

"How long will we stay here?" Sehun sighed, bored. He wished for warm weather. He wished he had the ability to make it warm. It was just winter back at home and now it's winter again!

Lay was helping Kyungsoo cook while the other boys made plans on which ways to go. Up ahead, there was a turn which split right or left. They planned a path and agreed to keep going right for 4 turns then left for 4 and right for 4 and so on.

"Done," Kyungsoo pulled out chopsticks and bowls and filled then with ramen. Since last night, they didn't have dinner and this morning, they only had one orange for breakfast, they were all starving. All of them dug into their ramen, savoring the taste. Kyungsoo grinned happily, liking that everyone enjoyed their food.

Suddenly, out of the corner of his eyes, Kai saw a huge thing - a bear - and began to shriek. All of the boys soon began to shriek and watch the bear wander it's way over.

"It wants food," Chen managed shakily before his hand moved and dark yellow glitter sprang out and changed itself into bolts and struck the bear.

"Lightning," Tao gasped as the bear fell to the ground, withering. Chen sheepishly grinned before returning to his food. Tao himself was anticipating for the moment his powers were too come. He couldn't wait!

"Where do you think this leads us to?" Kyungsoo asked quietly. Suho and Kris shrugged at the exact same time. Kyungsoo observed the tall trees in the distance. It was a huge place full of greenery. Perhaps woods...or a forest...or a garden? Would anyone be there?

Sehun slurped the soup of the ramen and handed the plate to Kyungsoo, first to be done. Soon enough, all the boys were done. Kyungsoo and Lay watched in dismay as the bowls and chopsticks piled up. How were they to clean it?

Suho raised his hands as light blue shimmers came out, forming water droplets and rained on the bowls, like a sink. The boys grinned knowingly as Kyungsoo and Lay leapt foward to take this chance and wash the dishes. Chanyeol looked at the split up ahead with a bad feeling. He was not the only one that felt that. Everyone did, except for Lay, Kyungsoo and Suho. Something bad was bound to happen.