02

The Heart of the Garden

The sun rose, casting a rosy shade into the indigo colored sky. Hanji rose from her bed, stretching her arms and yawning just as a stream of sunlight hit her face . At the break of dawn, she always prepared a nice breakfast for her siblings. Hanji stood up and walked to her wooden closet, choosing a black top made of fur and some other thing and white pants that were made by a silkworm. She used a comb made from a tusk of an elephant and brushed her messy hair to straightness. Afterwards, she made her way to the chicken coop. There, she would choose brown eggs and feed the chickens. Bustling on her way to the kitchen, she quickly fried eggs, placed them on plates and bought them to her sister's room. 

Kani, who was playing with her paper dolls, looked up and smiled at Hanji with her cheerful manner. She was at the age of 8, a mere child. Gina was still sleeping. Since she had just reached the age of 13, Gina decided that she was going to sleep later than normal. Typical new teenager. Hanji placed the platter of eggs on Kani's table and walked to shake Gina awake. 

"Hanji~" Gina complained when Hanji shook her awake. Gina glared at her sister but Hanji just chuckled and pulled her up.

"Food!" Kani beamed like a child and dove for her plate of scrambled eggs. Gina watched her sister with a scowl but within her eyes, Hanji saw affection. She handed Gina her plate and the three sisters ate their breakfast like normal. Little did they know, their day was going to be the opposite of normal.

Kyungsoo woke up with a jolt. He stretched his neck which was full of cramps. He felt something on his lap. Looking down, he saw Kai's head. Kyungsoo grimaced and pushed Kai's head upward. Kai yawned and poked at everyone, waking them up. The back of the pick up truck was full of complaints. Kris woke up and raised an eyebrow at the people in the back. They sheepishly smiled to him. Tao was now driving and the ride was bumpy. Suho rummaged his bag for a couple of oranges and handed them to Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo opened them and handed slices out to the rest of the people. 

The oranges were juicy and sweet, making it a wonderful 'breakfast'.

"So this is what the masters got that we didn't," Sehun mumbled, biting into his orange savagely. Other's nodded in response and continued to eagerly eat their fruit. Tao suddenly halted the car, making everyone slide foward.

"AHHH!" They cried, smashing into the 2 people who were near the front, Chen and Xiumin. Xiumin pushed them all off and dusted himself off. Suho glared at the boys, waiting for them to get off. Obediently, they did just that.

"Sorry," Tao sheepishly smiled to the back, "It's just that the trail of sparkles ended, so I decided to stop. Look, there is a door." Tao opened the door and helped everyone out. Kris ran to the door and opened it with ease. Luhan and the other raced off to see what lay within. There were huge walls, at least 20 feet tall. It was gray and drab, obviously made of stone.

"A maze!?" Kyungsoo asked with disbelief. His owl eyes largened further. 

"So we go in?" Sehun questioned, walking into the door.

"NO!" Kris shouted but it was too late. Everyone immediately bolted toward the closing door. Sehun, who was frozen at the other side of the door had no idea what was going on. He blinked before processing what was going on. Before he could slip out of the door, 11 other males tumbled in, falling near him.

"We do this together. It's obvious we can't get out now," Suho mournfully looked out at the tiny sliver of space. Kyungsoo panted, holding up 12 very heavy packs. He handed it to the others. They were all grateful that he managed to get some survival supplies. Kyungsoo sat down, observing the entire place. He saw vines inching up on a wall. Reaching out, he touched the cold vine and his hands immediately started to glow. The small conversation that the boys managed to start faltered as they watched Kyungsoo. As if his hands had their own minds, they started to move and create a carpet. Kyungsoo watched his hands, stupefied. Did he have power?

Tao stood up with an uncertain look on his face, "W-What just happened?!" Kyungsoo shrugged and watched in amazement as the carpet made it's way to Kris. Kris eyed it before cautiously it. A gray wisp of shimmery things curled out and in a couple seconds, the carpet was in the air, flying. 

"I can make things fly," Kris whispered in awe. The carpet then went to Luhan. Luhan touched it briefly as orange shimmers came out and then, a millisecond later, everyone was on top of the carpet. 

"Telekinesis," Luhan gasped, a joyful smile gracing upon his lips. Kyungsoo, realizing what had just happened, let a happy smile form at his heart-shaped lips. He could control nature! 

"What's our?" Chen eagerly asked. Everyone shrugged, but secretly waiting to see what their powers were. Sehun raised his hand to say something but a blue string of shimmery flew from his fingertips and caused the carpet to sway in the sudden gust of wind. 

Wide eyed, Sehun mouthed the word, "Wind." The ride was not at all bumpy In fact it was smooth, like an amusement park's new ride. The wind kept them cool since inside the maze was a it stuffy. The boys were waiting for the carpet to land, to see what lay before them in today's wonders. 

When the vine-woven carpet finally landed, they were in a snowy area, small flakes hitting each of their noses. Sehun stuck his tongue out playfully with Tao an caught snowflakes. Everyone began to shiver at the sudden change of climate. A gust of wind flew by and it carried a small slip of paper. Chanyeol caught it and began to read:

"You guys are now in the maze. Find your way through it to the garden. If not, you guys can just stay here forever. Nothing bad here, it's just that this maze is so complicated, so I wish you luck. Oh and? There are exactly 4 seasons in each section of the maze. It starts of winter, then spring, then fall and lastly summer. You may use your powers to manipulate these seasons. Again, good luck.

-Anonymous

Whoa." Chanyeol looked up. It seemed as if the temperature dropped down 10 degrees. 11 of the boys teeth were chattering. Except Xiumin. The youngsters looked at him in awe. How was he not cold in this weather. Xiumin felt his hand twitch. Curiously watching it, he saw his hand raise and open it's palm. Silver sparkles flew out and the snow immediately stopped.

"Thanks!" Chen smiled and rubbed his arms. Kyungsoo nodded gratefully. Xiumin stared at his hand for a while.

"Control over winter weather?" Baekhyun guessed. The sky had reasonably darkened. Of course, it was winter. The boys buttoned up their coats and trudged through the snow, their breath coming out like bursts of clouds in the air.