01

The Heart of the Garden

Kyungsoo ran for his dear life, sweat dripping from his forehead. His friends were on either side of him, panting and glancing backward, making sure their fat master hadn't come yet. In Kyungsoo's hand was a small black cloth, wrapping 4 of his shirts, a pair of jeans, some shorts, his notebook and eating utensils with food. All of them had small packs consisting different necessities that they may need for their journey and their own clothes. Kai had the bathing stuff, Sehun with more food, Suho with snacks and water, Lay with medical supplies, Xiumin with more water, Luhan with more bathing stuff, Kris with pots and pans, Tao with entertainment things, Baekhyun with flashlights, Chen with chargers and technological things and Chanyeol with blankets and warming supplies.

A screech of a tire sounded from beside them, a sudden splash of cold water hit Kyungsoo and his friends full on the face. The stood there, wet and dripping in the bitter breeze and freezing weather. The car hit a puddle and immediately halted. Kyungsoo saw a figure slumped on the driver's seat. Worry overtook him but he was cold, too cold to feel like moving.

"The car!" Kai gasped before racing toward the black pick-up truck. Kai fumbled with the lock, picking it. He yanked open the car. Kris was right next to him, by his aid, ready to pull the man in the driver's seat out. When the door swung open, a cursing drunk man fell off the car. Kris staggered back in shock before coming to his senses and pulling the other member's into the trunk.

"Sorry," Lay whispered, picking the man up and setting him down in the alley they just ran through. Suho patted his head and handed him a couple bills he managed to steal from their master's room.

"Get in!!" Sehun hollered hoisting himself into the trunk with the help of Kris. 10 others followed him, Kyungsoo included. They didn't have time to wallow over the man's loss. They had to run. Kris got in the driver's seat, Tao in the passengers. With a rumble of the engine, they peeled themselves from the street and into the night. Kris' driving was neither bumpy nor smooth. Suho pulled out fruit bars from his pack and handed it out to others. 

"Thanks," Kyungsoo smiled slightly before biting into the flavorful strawberry fruit bar.

"Welcome," Suho warmly grinned back to him before diverting his attention to the others. 

Kyungsoo was excited and nervous. He and his friends had just run away from their master. They were going somewhere that was unknown, where they would get the freedom they always dreamed of.

"Where are we headed?" Chanyeol called to Kris in his deep voice. 

Kris glanced backward, "I'm just following this rode. Can you see it?" Chanyeol looked on the ground to see nothing but mud and some dirtied snow. 

"Nope, no road," Chen answered, confused. Kris looked back again, perplexed, "Look closer."

Kyungsoo looked down. He saw what Chanyeol and Chen both said, mud and dirtied snow. But as he looked closer, he saw a sparkle. No, a trail of sparkles. Blue and purple, mixed in, creating a soft texture. It was as bright as day if you looked closely. A small jar sat next to the sparkles. A jar that was glowing with pinkish yellow shimmery things. It was obvious that the sparkles came from that jar.

"I see it," Sehun gasped, amazed.

"Whoa..." Tao breathed in, astounded. It was a beautiful sight.

"So we are just following that?" Chanyeol grinned and reached down to touch the sparkles. He would've fallen off if Baekhyun hadn't pulled him in, glaring. Luhan and Xiumin chuckled at their playfulness.

"Yup," Kris replied and they followed the trail of sparkles through the entire night. 

Yoo Hanji hummed a small melody to herself that she had heard Kani playing on the piano earlier as her 2 younger sisters, Kani and Gina dozed off in their feather beds made from peacocks, in their think night gowns. Hanji worried that they might be cold, but shook it away. She knew they had a strong immune system. Kani's black straight hair was braided to the side to prevent bed hair. Gina's curly mass of black hair splayed around her, long and thick, like a curtain. She herself had long black hair, straight and boring. Normal 16 year olds in this generation would do their hair in a fanciful way, according to magazines she received weekly, but she didn't have the time nor the supplies to do so. 

The setting was beautiful, peaceful and calm. Trees swayed in the small breeze of the night. The full moon shone through, illuminating the entire setting. Small buds of all colors started to poke through the blanket grass for spring was just about here. Hanji sighed softly and stared off in the distance where she saw gray stone walls.

As beautiful as this meadow may sound, she hated it. She hated that she was trapped in such a place. She hated that they couldn't find a way out. She hated that Kani and Gina loved this place like it was their own. She hated that she had no idea who put them there. She hated that she never knew her parent's or had any other companions. All her life, it had been her and her two sisters. She cast a wistful gaze at the gray walls. Legend has it that one day, some boys will appear and save them all. 

Hanji bit into a passion fruit from a tree beside her thoughtfully. She was waiting and counting on the boys. Gina lightly snored, snapping Hanji from her hopeful trance. A thin and not so loud wail echoed through the trees. Hanji didn't know what it was, but she knew, every night, it'd cry every couple hours. The sound of the cry was mournful and full of pain, as if they lost something precious to them. Hanji ignored the cries and leaned in to kiss Kani and Gina's foreheads before exiting their area.

The meadow consisted of 'rooms' that were separated by grass arches as tall as a pine tree itself. These rooms were outdoors and had lots of greenery in them. Hanji walked to her room next door and lied down on her grass mattress. She trailed a finger over the mattress, imagining a small woven blanket. She got cold easily and didn't want to risk sickness. Instantly, a blanket appeared. Flicking off the fireflies that were their lights, she put on her night gown made of the same material as her sisters. Snuggling under it, Hanji drifted off to a deep sleep, dreaming about dragonflies and passion fruit.