The Boy

Under One Roof

The Boy


 

 

     A year had passed.

Jieun was so used to the time passing that it almost solaced her, and she no longer felt anything. 

It had become a year since Jieun and Myungsoo had started dating, and she wanted to make sure she erased Chanyeol completely. The past years of having Chanyeol in her heart while promising herself to Myungsoo was wrong, and she knew so. 

But despite him being gone, there were certain things that she couldn't stop but do. 

Today was the 10th death anniversary of Chanyeol's mother, and Jieun didn't forget the favor that Chanyeol asked of her.

 

There will be a time when I will have to go somewhere so far away that I won't be able to visit my Mother each year. 

Despite whatever happens to our relationship, could you visit her in my stead?

I know she'll love you.

 

"Despite whatever happens," Jieun murmured under her breath as she got on the bus with the bouquet in her hands. 

     It wasn't the best trip ever, but it was the only time where her thoughts of Chanyeol could be forgiven. It was the only time that she could justify why she was thinking of Chanyeol, and no one could say anything about it.

Jieun looked out the window as the cemetary began appearing in the far distance.

The cemetary was such a funny place; for most people it brought sorrow but for her it brought comfort.

Perhaps because the dead has no words.

 

She pressed the button and got off the bus, slowly walking up the hill that led to the grave of Chanyeon's mother.

     As she reached closer, she could see someone standing infront of the grave with a bouquet in his hands. She watched as he placed the bouquet infront of her grave and stared at it meaninglessly, letting the silence swallow his sadness.

He was a young boy; presumably a high school student. 

His tall and slim physique resembled just that of Chanyeol's.

She walked toward the grave and stood beside him, placing the bouquet beside his. She took a step back and stood beside him, looking at the grave that read In loving memory of Park Ye-Jin.

"10th year," the boy spoke. "I can't believe it's already been that long." 

"Time flies," Jieun said quietly. 

"I still remember how warm her hug was," he smiled. "I still kind of miss it." 

Jieun glanced at the boy who smiled, trying to force his tears in. 

She looked down at his nametag that read Jang-hyun, Danwon High school.

It was uncanny how much he resembled Chanyeol.

"I don't have a mom either," Jieun said as she sat down. 

She watched as Jang Hyun automatically sat down with her but didn't take his eyes off the grave. 

"It's okay to cry," Jieun solaced him. "It's only me here."

The boy smiled and held in his tears until the end. 

"Guys don't cry," he chuckled. "I need to be strong."

"Who told you that?"

"My brother," he said in a deflated tone. "I don't know where he is anymore."

"How come?"

"When I was 7, my brother and I got separated to different orphanages after my mother died. I've been looking for him ever since I've entered Middle School, but I can't find him anywhere."

"I-m sorry.."

"Maybe he's having such a good life he's forgotten all about me," Jang-hyun blinked multiple times to stop the tears coming again.

"That's not true," Jieun looked into his young face. "One never forgets their bloodline."

"I don't understand," he continued. "I've been roaming around almost every district for the past four years, reported to almost every police station and made countless posts all over the internet. I'm on the edge of my seat everyday, hoping that he would be searching for me someday. But I've never..never seen anything."

Jieun thought in her head.

His story was so similar to the story that Chanyeol had told her, she was almost thinking things.

But it couldn't be.

The brother Chanyeol mentioned was Chanyoung, not Jang Hyun.

She watched as Jang-hyun ped his square backpack and slipped out a flyer. He passed one to Jieun and stood up, patting the grass off his clothes. 

"If you.. ever seen anyone like this, please contact me with that number."

Janghyun sniffled and rushed down the cemetary stairs like he was being chased. 

 

     Jieun looked down at the paper and stared at the flyer in awe.

She had seen this exact picture somewhere.

The picture of two young boys standing beside each other with a soccer ball in their arms, one shorter than the other.

 

---

 

     She rushed into Myungsoo's house and into his photo room, pulling out every single photo box from last time. 

Jieun remembered exactly what it was; the old brown album that contained pictures of Chanyeol and his real blood related brother.

"What are you doing-" Myungsoo stuttered as he watched Jieun frantically search through the boxes.

Myungsoo walked closer and picked up the flyer.

"What is this Jieun..?" Myungsoo asked apprehensively.

"Where's the brown album Myungsoo?" she asked, staring into his eyes.

Myungsoo went silent, refusing to answer.

"Myungsoo," she said firmly. "Answer me."

"I can't let you do this," he shook his head. "Not anymore."

"This is important," she breathed heavily.

"It's always Chanyeol, Chanyeol, ING CHANYEOL!" Myungsoo screamed.

Jieun stared at him, shocked. Myungsoo had never gotten angry at her; never in his life.

"It's been a freaking year Jieun, do you understand? A ING YEAR. You said you loved me, and that you were going to be by my side. But you know what I just don't understand? I don't understand WHY YOU KEEP GOING BACK TO THAT BASTARD EVERY SINGLE TIME."

Myungsoo walked back and forth frantically. 

"That's not what I-"

"Do you remember a year ago, when I told you when Chanyeol would be going to America? Do you remember what you did? You rushed right out my room, out of my house, to go to that bastard. Do you know how I felt when I watched you go to him?"

Jieun only looked at him silently.

"It felt like someone ran my heart through a shredder," he said as he barely held in his tears. "Am I the only one who loves you here?"

"You said you understand," Jieun blurted. "You said you understand how hard it was for me to get over Chanyeol. That night at the hospital, you told me you understand how long it would take for me to go to you."

"It's been a year since we've been dating Jieun," he said hoarsely. "When you date someone, you're not supposed to love someone else. You're supposed to love me, not him."

"I do love you-"

"How much more do I have to wait? That day when you told me you would become my girlfriend, I thought you meant that I didn't have to wait anymore."

"Myungsoo, this isn't like you. I found someone who could potentially be Chanyeol's long lost brother-"

 

"Until the end," Myungsoo sighed. "Everything you do is for him."

Myungsoo walked out of the room with a hurt expression on his face.

 

"I-" Jieun sighed and sat on the floor.

 

The truth was, life with Myungsoo wasn't as perfect as she thought it would be.

 

Jieun sighed and leaned against the wall, her eyes widening as she saw a brown book hanging off the ledge of the bookshelf. She stood up and pulled the book down, opening the book and finding the pictures of Chanyeol and his younger brother.

She grabbed the flyer frantically and flipped through the pages, trying to find the exact picture.

 

On the very last page was the picture of the two boys standing side by side with a soccer ball in their arms.

 

Jieun placed the picture and the flyer and the picture side by side and gasped.

 

 

They were exactly the same.

 


Author's note: 

Hi everyone

I'm so sorry I don't update very often. My college apps are due next wednesday and I'm trying to get it in my sunday so I can avoid the server crashing on the last day and everything, so it's been kind of hectic. 

I think after College Applications are over I will have more time to write this story (I hope).

Also, today is Chanyeol's birthday in Korea! (11/27)

It's a day slower in the U.S but I like to keep to KST.

Let's all wish Chanyeol a Happy Birthday!