Aftermath

Under One Roof

 

Aftermath


     Suzy smiled as she rushed toward Chanyeol and entwined her arm around his.

Chanyeol watched as Jieun struggled to get up with the glass pieces stuck in her skin. Jieun hissed as she pulled out a small piece and wiped the blood with the napkin, barely managing to haul herself up. She supported herself against the wall as she stared at Chanyeol who stared back at her emotionlessly. 

Jieun felt so stupid.

     She knew that he loved Suzy now, and that he no longer loved her like he used to. Everything was over and Myungsoo was by her side now, but why did it hurt so much everytime she saw his arms around Suzy? Perhaps this was what they called the aftermath of a break-up. The last image she could remember of the Chanyeol that she knew was him kneeling before her father in the big mansion, pleading for another chance.

"Congratulations on your marriage," Jieun said.

Chanyeol looked at her bleeding skin and sighed, kicking the glass pieces on the floor. Jieun watched as Chanyeol gently released Suzy from his arms and slipped out a pack of Malboro from his inner pocket, lighting a cigarette and placing it in his mouth. He stared at Jieun as he blew the smoke out and looked around the state of the room.

"Don't you think you're a nuisance?" he raised an eyebrow. "You really want to ruin my fiance's bachelerette party?"

Jieun's face hardened at his cold words. She felt her heart shattering into a million pieces, but there was no way she was going to let any of that show. She blinked firmly and smiled, limping toward the door.

"It’s not too late. It would only take one word, if you said that you like me."

Jieun turned and was about to leave the room when she saw Myungsoo running across the second floor, toward Jieun. He gasped at her scars and piggybacked her, glaring at Chanyeol with the dirtiest look ever.

"Park Chanyeol," Myungsoo said grimly. "You just made the biggest mistake of your life."

Chanyeol watched as Myungsoo rushed out of the club with Jieun on his back. He felt his legs shake and his fist hardening as he took a seat on the sofa, staring at the blood stained glass pieces on the floor. He couldn't believe he did what he had just done.

"You're actually listening to your father?" Suzy asked as she took another large gulp of the vodka on the table. "It's unlike you Park Chanyeol."

Chanyeol dropped his cigarette and crushed it, watching as the black ash smudged.

 

-3 months ago- 

     Chanyeol quietly walked into his father's private office.

He had been asked to dress entirely formal and be ready at his office by 6AM sharp. His head felt so dazed because he had spent the past few days crying. Jieun had left the house and all contact was cut off; there was not a single way he could reach her. He knew that it was his father's doing, but it wasn't as if he could complain about it. 

Chanyeol took a seat next to the large globe that had been there ever since he first became a part of this family. 

He watched as his father sat in the grand desk, looking through files and signing a bunch of papers. He cleared his throat and shut his files, entwining his fingers together as he looked at Chanyeol from his desk. His father slipped off his glasses and gestured for Chanyeol to come toward him. 

"My son," he smiled. "You look very handsome in this suit."

"Thank you Father," he nodded quietly.

"A suit fits you better than a dirty baseball uniform, don't you think?"

Chanyeol bit his lips, but nodded silently. 

Chanyeol watched as his father walked toward the large globe and slowly spun it, grinning as he stopped at America. He then spun it again and stopped at Europe, then Russia, then China, then Australia. 

"Do you remember the first time you entered this office?" his father asked. "I asked what you wanted to do the most. Do you remember what you said?"

"Travel," Chanyeol replied.

"And I said I would let you travel the entire world when you grow up." he looked back at Chanyeol. "You're all grown up now, even taller than your father."

"What are you trying to say..?"

"You will be going out to the company with me from today until your marriage with Suzy. From then, you will be in charge of the international affairs; the main headquarters will be in the United States. I know you're still inexperienced with company life and there's alot you will have to learn. I've applied you to Stanford University and they've given you an early admittance after examining your stellar grades and baseball achievements."

"Wait," Chanyeol frowned. "I wasn't notified of this before."

"What's the use of notifying when it will happen anyway?"

"Father," Chanyeol stuttered. "I have no interest in going to college overseas. A-nd I'm far too young to get married, not to mention the fact that I don't love Suzy. We've been childhood friends and I want to remain friends."

"Why," his father paused. "You have a particular love interest?"

"Yes," Chanyeol said adamantly. 

"It's that girl isn't it?"

"When I found the girl that I love, I always wanted to bring her here, into this office. I wanted to make her my wife and bring her into this office and tell her that this is the office of her husband. But Suzy has seen this office and has walked through the doors of this room several times; so many times that this room is nothing but a barren space."

"Love is a child's game," his father said sternly. "Are you going to give up everything just for a stupid girl?"

"Why not Myungsoo? Why me? Like you always think I'm not even your real son. Why can't you put this responsibility on your real son and just let me be?"

"If I were to let you be do you think I would have picked you up from that orphanage?"

Chanyeol went silent, staring at his father. 

"How do you think the world will react if they realize that you're not the real son?" his father said harshly. "Do you know what kind of impact that would have on the company? They're going to assume that you're a filthy illegimate son or something."

"It's always about the company," Chanyeol said in an angered tone. "What about me?"

"Myungsoo's always been a depressed child. But him meeting photography changed the boy. I don't want to burden my son with this weight of the crown. That's why I chose you."

Chanyeol stared at his father disbelievingly.

"If I take over this company," Chanyeol said quietly. "It's completely mine."

"The company will be passed back down to the Kim bloodline once your service is done," Mr.Kim said adamantly.

Chanyeol stood in his spot, looking down. He felt so angered, but there was nothing in his power that he could do. He could choose to leave this house, but there was nothing that he could do. His face was already know as his father's son all over South Korea. 

"I'll give you a few days to take care of your relationship with Lee Jieun before your marriage news with Suzy goes on the web. If you're seen with that girl again, remember. You're tainting the company and Jieun's image. If all this ruckus about you and that girl breaks out during your marriage or even after, imagine all the chaos that will come to the girl, right?"

Chanyeol watched bitterly as his father returned to his desk. He walked out of the office, his footsteps getting heavier. 

He felt as if a large anchor had been hooked in his heart, and it was hooked so deep that he couldn't get it out. 

 

The more he thought of Jieun, the more guilty he felt.

The more he thought, the more he realized that it was him who made her cry every single time.

The more she told him not to smoke and drink, the more he did.

The more she tried to adjust everything to him, the more he took it for granted.

The more she loved him, the more he only took.

 

He wanted to see her one last time, but he knew that he couldn't.

He had to furthen himself from her; it was the last and only thing that he truly could do for her.

 

-end- 

 

     During the past three months that Chanyeol had not seen Jieun, his heart was prepared to push her away. But the moment he saw the girl that his heart loved, he felt his spirit drop. He wanted to hug her and kiss her so bad, but he knew that he would only bring her to more tears. He knew that having Myungsoo by her side was the better option; after all, Myungsoo was right.

Everytime Chanyeol made her cry, Myungsoo was the one that wiped her tears.

The more he thought, the more it was true.

He couldn't promise her anything now. He couldn't tell her he will always make her laugh, that he will make her happy or to trust in him. Being the son of someone like that, being a member of that kind of family - he hated it enough himself so how must she feel? She would have hated everything she went through already.

Jieun deserved much better.

Myungsoo was the perfect elite student; he was smart, handsome, blood related, and artistic. He knew how to treat a girl better than Chanyeol.

Myungsoo knew how to love.

She deserved someone who would love her so much that sometimes she would feel sick of the love.

Chanyeol looked out one more time, but Jieun was long gone.

 

     Myungsoo opened the car door and gently leaned Jieun in, desperately seat belting her. He rushed to the driver's seat and sped all the way to the hospital and carried her all the way to the E.R.

Myungsoo held Jieun's hands tightly as the nurse treated her minor scar and wrapped her injured parts with bandage. 

"I'm okay," Jieun said gingerly. "It's a minor scar."

"I shouldn't have let you go there," he sighed. "It's all my fault."

"Don't," Jieun said firmly. "I was the one who wanted to go."

"I knew he was going to hurt you again," he said quietly. "I wasn't sure whether you could take it."

"While me and Chanyeol have been away, I've thought of him everyday- but why do I only remember us fighting? Still, it's odd. I only remember me and him getting mad and fighting all the time, but when I thought about him, I laugh. Sometimes I thought, when would be come back to fight again?"

Myungsoo only listened quietly.

"But none of that matters anymore."

"Jieun,"

"Chanyeol took all the good memories, and I take the bad ones. I want him to be happy."

Myungsoo smiled and held her hands. 

"Is this the aftermath of a break up?" Jieun laughed as a tear rolled down her cheek. "I don't know why I'm even crying." 

"It's ok," Myungsoo her hair. "Cry all you want and let it all out. But tomorrow, only show smiles for me."

 

 

Chanyeol closed his eyes, his thoughts spinning.

Jieun's words spun in his head.

 

It's not too late. It would only take one word, if you said that you liked me.

 


A/N

Hello guys. I'm so sorry I didn't update in like a million years. I am a senior in High school so I've been busy with SAT and college apps and personal statements and stuff like that. I'm still busy but I felt so stressed that I just wanted to escape somewhere and here I am. I had writer's block but it disappeared after I started watching Moon lovers: Scarlet heart Ryeo. It's such a good drama and IU is so goddam pretty and all the male cast are so good looking >o< Maybe this drama will help me get more ideas for this story haha. Also, this story still has some chapters to go so don't think that this chapter already decides everything~