Obliviate (I)

Under One Roof

 

Obliviate (I)


     Jieun woke up with a heavy heart.

Last night was a wild one, and she wasn't sure if this was still reality or just a dream. However admist the sweet kiss that Myungsoo had given her, her heart was still caught on Chanyeol. She felt horrible for thinking this way when she clearly knew Myungsoo's feelings for her. But it wasn't something that she could control, for she felt as her heart was out of function and she no longer had control of it. 

Her head thought of Myungsoo, but her heart thought of Chanyeol.

 

"Is something bothering you recently?" 

Her father asked as the two ate breakfast. Jieun stared down at her food, lost in thought. She wanted to ask her father, but she was afraid of the answer. What if she got an answer which wasn't what she quite wanted, but it was the right answer?

"Dad," she hesitated. "Should i listen to my heart, or my head..?"

Her father glanced at her with a funny snort and continued eating, flipping the pages of the newspaper. She wasn't usually the person to talk about these sentimental topics with anyone especially her father, but she felt as if he would have the best answer. 

"Well," he pushed his glasses up. "Listen to.. neither."

"What?"

"Just follow your instincts. If you beat around the bush contemplating on whether you should listen to your heart or your head, you're going to miss the opportunity infront of you."

Jieun looked at his father, reminiscing the anecdote in his little diary. 

"You don't regret it?"

"Regret is a synonym for a good experience. I always like to think.. it was a good experience."

Her father chuckled bitterly and diverted his eyes back to the newspaper. Jieun felt her heart yearn at her father's words. The more she thought, the more amazing he was. How could he overcome such a big heartbreak, and manage to call it a good experience? 

"Why," he asked. "You've got a boyfriend already?"

"No," Jieun blurted, flustered. 

"Good," her father assured. "No boyfriend until College."

Jieun smiled awkwardly, poking her chopsticks into her bowl of rice. She couldn't really follow her instincts. 

How could she follow her instincts when she didn't know what her instincts were?

---

"Morning,"

A familiar voice boomed from the side. Jieun turned around and saw Myungsoo leaning against his car, smiling vibrantly at her. She had never seen him smile that brightly; he seemed like a whole new person. 

"Myungsoo," she gasped. "What are you doing here?"

"Here to the madam," he opened the door for Jieun to get in. She smiled and got in, watching as Myungsoo rushed into the driver's seat and glanced at her with those loving eyes. He her hair and tucked her hair behind her ears like he always would. 

"Do you remember that time in the closet?"

"When you hurt your wrist?"

"Yeah," she chuckled. "You've changed alot since then." 

"Have I?"

"You've.. never smiled this big before."

"Love changes people," Myungsoo said with a smile. An awkward silence flowed through the car. Jieun wasn't sure if what she felt toward Myungsoo was actually love, because she never thought of it that way. Although he was always there, she had always felt that her goal was to find Chanyeol. 

"Myungsoo," she pulled her hand away as Myungsoo tried to hold it. 

"I want to see Chanyeol." 

The smile died off his face as he sighed and stopped at a red light. His heart felt crushed by those words, but he couldn't come to hate her.

"He's going to hurt you-"

"I know," she blurted. "I know i'll be heartbroken. But i still want to see him. I want to hear what he has to say."

"I can't."

"I want to know if what we had was real.. or if he was just toying with my feelings." 

Jieun looked down at her hands. 

Myungsoo sighed. 

"I'll pick you up after school," he gripped her face softly and tucked her hair behind her ears. 

"Don't cry," he hushed quietly and looked into her eyes. "A smile looks better on a pretty face." 

He watched as she got out of the car and disappeared through the school gates. 

His heart was filled with angst at the thought of Chanyeol hurting her again. He didn't want her to go through this pain. She was beautiful, and she deserved so much more than chasing after a person who didn't even love her back. 

He didn't understand what she saw in him.

He was sure.. he loved her better than he ever did.

---

    Jieun got in the car with a dark face. 

Both of them knew what was coming, and Myungsoo didn't want to make it worse. He watched as she leaned against the window, staring at the night sky filled with stars.

 

-Flashback- (chapter 5)

"The sky would be prettier with stars..." Chanyeol murmured, leaning his head against the swing.

"But it looks magnificent just being alone." Jieun added.

"But it's the surroundings that help you shine the most." Chanyeol hummed.

 

     Jieun looked at the star filled sky, her head full of Chanyeol. She hated feeling this way. She missed him so much, but she didn't want to miss him. She knew she would never see the old Chanyeol that she missed, and that he would probably never come back. But she didn't evene expect that much. 

But there was still hope in her heart.

Admist the 99.9% chance of rejection,

there was the 0.01% chance of acceptance. 

"We're here," Myungsoo pulled up at the old mansion, the mansion where all their memories lingered. 

Jieun got off the car and stared at the mansion meaninglessly. All these rushes of memories were starting to hurt, and she couldn't take it. 

"It's not too late to go back," Myungsoo supported her. "We can-"

"Let's go."

She said quietly and made her way inside the mansion. 

Everything about the mansion was the same. Nothing had changed, even the familiar scent of the marble floor. She slowly climbed up the stairs, staring at the couch in the atrium. Even the smallest things in this house had the biggest meaning for her, and she felt so detached to everything now.

"We should cut down that room and-"

A familiar voice boomed from the corridor. Jieun turned around and saw Chanyeol walk out of the West corridor with Suzy tugging on his arms. Jieun watched this unfamiliar boy dressed in an ebony suit with a neck tie tightly tied around his neck. The life was out of his face and she knew he wasn't the same Chanyeol as before. Chanyeol halted abruptly and stared at Jieun, his eyes flickering at Myungsoo beside her.

Suzy glanced at Jieun and scoffed, tighting her grip on Chanyeol for Jieun to see.

"Go back to our bedroom," Chanyeol pulled his arm away.

Suzy didn't budge, glaring at Jieun.

"I said GO." He pushed her into the room and stared at Jieun who stared back at him.

 

 

"I was really worried after i heard about your father's company," Jieun stuttered. 

"Thanks," Chanyeol said stiffly. "Is that why you came all the way here?"

"I.. just.. wanted to see how you were doing.. and-"

"As you can see, I'm fine,  and as you know, I'm extremely busy. Now that you know, don't bothering worrying about my well-being."

Jieun stared at Chanyeol, hurt.

"Do you have more to say?"

"Do you really mean it..?" She looked into his eyes.

"What do you want?" Chanyeol glared at her. "Were you expecting me to say 'I'm sorry, forgive me, I'll go back soon so wait for me.'?"

"Why are you doing this?"

"I've started to wake up to reality, that's all."

"I understand," Jieun nodded, trying to hold back the tears that blinded her. "Then you really were acting the entire time, acting like you loved me, acting like you cared for me."

"You just realized?"

Jieun stared at Chanyeol with a heartbroken face. She couldn't believe it was Chanyeol, her dear Chanyeol, that poured out all these toxic words from his mouth. His face, his body, everything about him was the same but his heart. 

"To you, I'm just-"

"Nothing."

"You're cruel, Park Chanyeol. Really cruel."

"No," he glared at her. "I've always been this way. I just pretended i wasn't."

She nodded silently and calmed herself down.

"I'll go," she swallowed. "Take care."

"Worry about yourself," Chanyeol returned bitterly and excused himself to the room he addressed as Our bedroom. 

 

     Myungsoo caught Jieun just as she sank to the floor.

'Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," Jieun croaked. "Let's just.. get out of here."

 


Hello~ Sorry i haven't updated in like.. forever.

I was really busy and finals just ended so i'm getting a little break haha.

I thought about this story last night and i felt kind of bad for Myungsoo who only looks at Jieun, and she doesn't even realize and only looks for Chanyeol. I don't know how this story will turn out but i'm halfway done planning the ending so look forward to it~