Pendant

Under One Roof

Pendant


 

 

  The sun had risen.

Jieun hadn't been able to sleep at all, because she was so absorbed with what was her.. first kiss. She didn't even realize that her cheeks were burning up and shaping into a crescent smile. It wasn't the most ideal kiss she expected, but it was okay because it was enough for her. She glanced at the clock and slipped out of bed, staring at the snow falling from the sky. It was still so cold, and the fact that Jieun was prone to a flu was not helping.

She remembered that Mr.Kim had a special message that he wanted to relay onto the kids. She got ready and looked at herself in the mirror. She didn't know why, but she found herself  wearing more make-up than usual, topped off with a skirt - something she hated to wear. Her heart pounded as she thought of Chanyeol, but a downfall of thoughts brought her smile down. 

 

Did i raise you to chase some low classed girl?

 

 Mr.Kim's words would echo in her mind everytime she thought of Chanyeol. She had never thought of this before, partly because she never thought that she would dream of meeting a rich heir let alone to be involved with them. Those words hurt her, because she knew she wasn't good enough for him - for anyone. She sighed and sat on her bed, looking out the window. She had never felt as if she lacked in life when she was with her father, because being with her father made her feel prosperous at heart. But the reality seemed to be Mr.Kim's words, the reality that she didn't favor.

 She opened the door and walked through the corridor, hoping that she wouldn't bump into Chanyeol- "Be careful," Chanyeol caught her wrist as she bumped into him and nearly slipped. It was awkward for Jieun to look at Chanyeol in the eye, especially after what had happened last night. She averted eyes with Chanyeol who was trying to get a glimpse of her eyes. "Thanks.." she stuttered and quickly released her wrist from his grip.

He chuckled huskily and gripped her face, the same way he did last night. 

He angled her face upto his and stared at her eyes, enhanced with double eyelids - just like his mother. For a moment, he stared with silence then laughed it off with a grin and ruffled her hair lightly. 

"Jieun," he said as he walked past her.

"Yeah?"

 

"You're beautiful today."

 

 Jieun stood there with her cheeks flushed red. Her heart was pounding so fast. Over the other side of the corridor, she saw Myungsoo who halted and made his way downstairs with a look of hostility. 

 

*  *  *

 Everyone gathered around the living room, and the twins were vociferous as usual. Everyone knew that when they had to gather in the living room, it meant a special occasion. Yoon-hyung and Jin-yi were not present because they had flown back to the US because of their college works. Jieun sat awkwardly beside Chanyeol who was staring at her so obviously, she just wanted to slap his eyes away.

"Morning," Mr.Kim joined them in the living room. Jieun watched as two assistant managers were on both sides of Mr.Kim, scanning the kids who seemed to take no notice of them. She watched as Mr.Kim pushed his glasses up his eyes and began to sign a few contracts, passing it to the assistants who bowed down to him politely and disappeared with the contracts in their hand.

"School's starting soon," he said hastily. "You guys are all seniors now and you need to go to college. There's a volunteer service for students at my company and i've signed you guys up since helpers are mandatory. go earn some hours and work hard." he clapped twice and disappeared to his bedroom before anyone could rebut. The twins grumbled and scrunched up the flyers that Mr.Kim passed them.

"We don't even go to school in Korea, why do we have to do it?" Se-chan grunted. Jieun stared at the flyer and smiled. She was used to volunteer service partly because she had done so much in middle school that she grew to love it. But it was a problem, she looked outside and saw the snow falling ponderously. It wasn't going to be easy, especially with these complaining humans before her. 

.  .  .

 "Salute!"

The head of the military base marched up and joined the many high schoolers who were dressed in their military uniforms. "Nobody told us we were volunteering at a military," Se-chan hissed and sighed, glaring at the head who glared back at him. "You!" The head pointed to Se-chan. He crept up and looked up at the head who was so intidimidating that even Se-chan grew small.

He was a man of a big build. His rectangular face hung over his short neck which was hardly visible, and the only thing that seemed to be prominent from his face was his sharp slit eyes  and his thick lips that spat out stern military codes as if he were programmed to say it. "fifty push ups, NOW!" He blew his whistle and glared at Se-chan who crossed his arms. "But i didn't do anything!" Se-chan bit his lips as the head crossed his arms and looked down at Se-chan, overshadowing the sun. 

"Yes sir," he gasped and got on his hands.

"We will cut the introductions short," the head circled Se-chan and pushed him down everytime his knees touched the floor. "This is a volunteer camp, two nights three days." Everyone started to complain; nobody was told that this was a camp, let alone held at a military. 'SILENCE!" he waited for the chatter to die down and continued. "Anyone who dares to talk while the head is speaking shall be punished, just like this recalcitrant volunteer." he pointed to Se-chan whose frail arms were barely making it up and down.

"You will be separated into three base camps, Rangers, Black eagle, and Highlander. Each base will be given different volunteer jobs that they must undertake, and NOBODY is to be excused until the whole base has completed their job. Over the course of three days, each base will switch and will complete tasks in the three sects chosen." The head hopped off the large stage and pulled Se-chan down with him.

"When your name is called, line up infront of me in a single line." He glared at everyone with his sharp slit and flipped through his clipboard like he wanted to rip it out. Jieun hid her face under the oversized army helmet on her head, because people around her were starting to recognize her and whispers were spreading. She bit her lips and tried to withhold her fear that attacked her.

"Moon Ji-sang!"

The list was cleared and 1/3 of the volunteers were placed in the first base camp Rangers, including Chanyeol and Se-chan. Jieun stared at Chanyeol who was eager for the last name to be called, hoping it would be Jieun. The head flipped through the paper and scowled, annoucning the last name of the first base camp. "Lee Jieun." Everyone stared as Jieun hid under her helmet and proceeded toward Chanyeol, hiding behind him.

 "Isn't that the girl who tried to steal Suzy's fiancee'?" gossip aroused. 

Chanyeol sighed and bit his lips. He was sick of hearing those rumors whereever he went, and more so because he knew how uneasy they made Jieun. He slipped off his helmet and pushed the girl's shoulder lightly. She glared at him and immediately tucked her hair behind her ears and acted pretty when she realized it was Chanyeol. Everyone's eyes were on the two as Chanyeol made a disgruntled face.

"Did you see it with your own eyes?" 

"W..hat?" the girl stuttered, playing innocent.

"Stop playing innocent you fox. "

The girl flushed red as everyone around her began to snigger.

"Did you actually hear Suzy say that Jieun stole me from her?"

"Chanyeol-"

"Do you know me? don't call me by my name." Chanyeol grabbed Jieun's wrist and pulled her to his side. He wrapped his arms around her shoulder and looked down at the chubby girl who was lost for words, and clearly embarrassed.

"It must have been real easy for you to go around spreading false rumors because you're hidden under your username, huh." Chanyeol crossed his arms and looked down at the mobile phone in her hand. "In the end, aren't you just another jealous fangirl who always has to hate on the girl?" Chanyeol snorted and pulled Jieun closer. The girl looked down, embarrassed and defeated. She squeezed her phone inside her fist and breathed heavily.

Chanyeol tucked her bobbed hair behind her ear and crouched down to meet her short height.

"Don't frown," he nodded. "makes you look ugly." he chuckled and held Jieun's hand tightly. Everyone whispered as they watched the scene. "Chanyeol, what are you doing?" she whispered, trying to escape from his grip. She was scared and felt as if the girls would come and pound her to death. With her hand tightly in his, they followed the combat leader of Rangers as they marched off to their first task.

"It's just a rumor."

Jieun brushed his hands off.

"No, but we're not even dating.." Jieun said awkwardly as she looked down and trailed behind everyone else. Chanyeol knew that she was afraid of everyone's eyes on her, he didn't have to hear it to know it. He grabbed her arm and waited for everyone to pass through. They were at the very back where nobody would gossip them around. "Now is it okay?" Chanyeol tucked her hair behind her ear and entwined his fingers with hers. Jieun blushed but didn't let go of the grip. She knew this was wrong, but in a way..

She liked it.

 

"First task is just a warm-up, fairly easy." the combat leader babbled on as they walked through the impoverished village near the military camp. The village was sort of deserted and there were alot of rubbly houses that were buried with worn-out junk all over the place. The only peppy spirit seemed to be the Jindo dog that shook its tail playfully to greet the students as they walked past. 

It was a very typical countryside, and there were old greenhouses with the vinyl tainted with murky dust that seemed to be irreversible. Jieun watched as there were numerous tractors that were out of order, just like the whole village. The leader stopped infront of the Village town hall, which was nothing more than just a brick house with the national flag on the top. Through the glass windows were a few military men who were busy managing business on the computers inside.

"First task is to deliver Briquet cobble stones to each house designated with our military sign." he held up the sign of a poorly drawn briquet stone. "Once you have delivered, cross the name off the sign and return to deliver to more houses. Once all deliveries have been completed, you are to line up back here in alphabetical order." He said hastily as he walked over to the briquet cobble stone shed and coughed at the dust. 

"These are quite heavy, so don't overdo yourself." 

With a flick of a finger, the volunteer students idly walked inside the shed dragged themselves with briquet stones in their hands. "Is it heavy?" Chanyeol asked as he grabbed two sacks of briquet stones, waiting for Jieun to grab hers. "Should i hold it for you?" he bent it down and tried to take Jieun's. "No, it's okay. i can do it." she barely managed to drag her briquet stone out of the shed and the two walked side by side to a house that hadn't been signed off yet.

Chanyeol seemed to be bothered by Jieun's struggle to drag the stones.

"Here," Chanyeol stopped and took the stones off Jieun. 

"Chanyeol you don't have to-" "I'd rather bare the weight of the world than to see you drag that so stiffly." he snorted and passed Jieun his backpack. "You can carry that instead." Jieun sulked and watched as Chanyeol carried the three sacks so lightly and still managed to smile even with all that weight on him. Jieun stared at his back, thinking back to the first time that they had met each other under the lamp post.

"Chanyeol," she chuckled softly and skipped beside him. "Do you remember the first time we met?"

Chanyeol laughed and retraced the memory. "I'm still mad at you for eating my favourite crisps without my consent," he punched her lightly and she punched back. "You know.. that day before i met you, i was at my father's company. At the lobby, there's a large fountain with the statue of david shooting out water from its ," both of them snorted. "And people often throw coins inside and make unfeigned wishes, as cliche' as that may sound."

"I mean.. it's hope, right?"

"That day, i also threw a coin inside the fountain. And just like that.. my wish came true."

"What was your wish?"

Chanyeol chuckled.

"Please send me someone who will support me."

Both of them were silent. 

"At first, i thought that hell sent another devil to torture me. but i realized that.. you were different. You were the only person who came upto me and made me realize what i really wanted."

Jieun smiled silently.

"Remember the first snow.. how three of us made a wish?"

"Yeah?"

"Guess what i wished for."

"Obviously, isn't it me?" Jieun stuck her tongue out and laughed, as she raced to the house that was nearby. Chanyeol surrendered to her playfulness and chased after her with hos heavy stones in his hand. Truthfully, how he came to fall for her was vague but that vagueness was what made him like her more- because he couldn't predict the future. following Jieun, Chanyeol entered the gate and placed the stones inside the olden style kitchen and entered the shabby Han-ok house.

 Inside the main room, there laid an female elderly whose wrinkles looked as if it was eating her up. She was coughing and hardly had the strength to get up. "Chanyeol," she whispered. "Go light the brisquet stones to heat the room." Jieun placed her hand on the icy floor and tended to the elderly woman. 

 

 "You know we didn't have to," Chanyeol scratched his head as the two walked out of the house. "What do you mean? She couldn't even sleep properly because the floor was so cold. Of course we should have helped her." Jieun slapped his arm disapprovingly as they walked back to the town hall. Chanyeol had never seen that side of Jieun before, partly because she didn't really have to look after anyone back at home.

"Salute!"

Chanyeol and Jieun rushed back, just in time for line-up. 

 

 

Embrace ~ Yoon Hyun-Sang (Hyde,Jekyll and I OST)

 

 Still dressed in her military uniform, Jieun rested at a bench outside and stared at the clear sky with the solitary moon. She felt good, because to her volunteer services were another way she recharged the kinder side of herself.  The air was cold and there was still snow on the floor, but nonetheless she still loved the cold. Jieun was about to stand up when Chanyeol placed a warm drink against her cheeks and took a seat beside her.

He was dressed in his casual clothes with a thick parka over himself. 

"Why are you always out in the cold?" Chanyeol asked as he took a sip. "Usually people stare at the moon during a summer night.." he rubbed his hands together and glanced at Jieun whose body was curled up because of the cold. He sighed and slipped his parka off, forcefully wrapping it around her back. She just accepted it without any words and stared at the moon. 

Chanyeol stared at her face and laughed.

"What?" Jieun demanded.

Without words, Chanyeol gripped her face and wiped her nose with his thumb. "Ash." he murmured and laughed at her cuteness. She rubbed her nose awkwardly and turned her gaze naturally, to see a heart shaped pendant emanated with arched silver vines. Her eyes were fixed on it as Chanyeol ran his fingers through the pendant gently as if he were reminiscing something pleasurable.

"My mother gave it to me," Chanyeol let go of the heart. "It's the only posession i have of hers." 

"It's.. really pretty." Jieun nodded.

"This was her most prized posession, because it's made of pure silver. When i first got it, i wanted to sell it so that i could buy another baseball bat. But in a way, i'm glad i didn't. " He noticed Jieun's eyes fixed on the pendant. He took it off and hung it right before her eyes for a closer look. "Take a look." he placed it in her palms. Jieun ran her fingers over the intricate arches that remnated the heart so perfectly.

Jieun hung the lace through her finger and held it against the moonlight, glancing at the beauty of it. 

"Many people mature through the loss of their precious people," he shrugged. "But i feel like i'm still a kid who's unable to cross over to the next phase of life." 

"What do you mean..?"

"Whenever i'm having a hard time, i always take it out on others. If i don't like something, i always have to critisize it. And if i like something, it has to be mine. I still feel like i'm the same child i was ten years ago, in the shell of a high schooler."

He glanced at Jieun who was too busy admiring the pendant. He smiled and rested his hand on her head, tapping it lightly with his three fingers. "That pendant.." he hesitated, but spoke. "You have it."

Surprised, Jieun lept up. "N..no! Your mother gave this to you, of course you have to keep it. here." Jieun pushed it back to Chanyeol who with great strength, grabbed Jieun's hand and placed it back in her palm. "It looks better on a beautiful lady." he smiled and pushed her hand into her chest. Jieun bit her lips and opened her palm to stare at the beautiful pendant that was shining against the moonlight.

"Chanyeol,"

"Here," he undid the necklace and leaned over to lock the necklace on her neck. Jieun could smell his sweet scent as he bent over and half embraced her to lock the necklace on her. With a smile, he returned to his position and admired the pendant resting on her prominent clavicle. He tucked her hair behind her ear and stared at her, amazed at how much she resembled his mother.

"Promise me that you won't lose it."

"Promise."

They linked pinkies.

 

"Let's go inside," Chanyeol offered his hand, and Jieun took it with no hesitation.

 

 


A/N

So much feels, i wish i could do that with Chanyeol, lmao. although i would get beaten down by crazy Exo-L and then i would be in a coma for the rest of my life. Which couple do you guys ship more? I feel like this is a really biased question since Jieun hardly made any progress with Myungsoo, lol. Although i have the whole story planned out, i still don't know which couple i like better even though this is my story lolz. 

If you liked this chapter, please upvote and/or leave a comment