Lamp Post

Under One Roof

Lamp Post


(Jjajangmyun - Jang Bori is here Instrumental OST)


 

"Your Brother is returning to Korea soon." Mr.Kim said indifferently. the flicking of his newspaper echoed through his monochrome head office. his gesture was hidden behind his magnificent office egg chair, the back facing his adoptive son. Mr.Kim gazed out into the large city through the glass that replaced one side of the walls of his office. he spun his chair and faced his adpotive son, looking down at the floor with defiance in his eyes. he scanned his son dressed in a muddy baseball attire, with his worn out baseball duffel bag hanging loose on his right shoulder. 

 "Chanyeol?" 

The defiance perished, and Chanyeol met eyes with his father. Everytime Chanyeol looked into his father's apprehensive eyes, he felt so degraded but there was nothing he could do about it. His entire life starting from the moment he was adopted into the Kim Household, he was taught to appreciate the fact that he was adopted into such a prestigeous family and that he should let go of all his selfish desires.

His whole future was planned out for him, and there was no changing that. 

"Chanyeol." His father retorted.

"Yes Father." he whispered under his breath. 

"When your brother returns from Italy, i expect you to be on your best behavior" his father eyed his filthy uniform in abhorrence. he pushed his spectacles back upto his eyes and cleared his throat. "You're still on that baseball team?" he asked indifferently as he flipped the paper files that were attached to his clipboard, checking off boxes with his marble pen that had his name engraved on the sides.

 K.J.S

Chanyeol eyed the initial as he nodded silently.

His father sighed lightly and placed the pen down. he cleared his throat and wedged his veiny fingers through each other. "Chanyeol," he paused and took a good look at his adoptive son. "You'll never gain anything if you're not prepared for loss." he nodded quietly as he excused his son. Chanyeol bowed politely and stepped out of the office, with his hope crushed down once more. 

 As he walked through the monochrome corridor filled with luxurious office doors on the sides, he felt his heart crashing down on him. within a few years, he would have to be stuck in this place, leaving his dream behind. he slapped the dirt off his uniform and graudally made his way toward the elevator, where a few interns waited. it was the usual bunch that he saw everytime he visited his father at the company, the usual bunch that was always eager to go home after a long day's work.

 dragging his heavy footsteps, he stood behind the interns and waited for the elevator to reach their level. the door slid open and all the interns rushed in, eyeing Chanyeol who entered the elevator last. awkward fragrances filled the space as everyone began murmuring against themselves, peeking at Chanyeol's tall height which seemed to reach the ceiling. "Isn't that Executive director's son?" whispers filled the elevator.

 "No, that's the CEO's son i heard.. does that mean he's taking over soon?" 

Chanyeol was sick of the gazes and the whispers that everyone would always shoot toward him. He wanted attention, but he didn't want it this way. he wanted to be loved, and to be thanked for doing what he did best, but he was constantly getting pushed to the cliff, having to amount to all sorts of hardships that would pull him further from his dream. The elevator slid open and rushed out the interns, leaving Chanyeol the last to leave.

 The Lobby was grandiose and modern. classical works of the musical era flowed gently through the lobby as Chanyeol slowly made his way through the spin exits. there was a large fountain in the middle of the lobby, with baby angels shooting out water from their index fingers. He slipped out a small coin from his coin and walked toward the fountain. The bottom  of the fountain laid many coins that had been thrown in, along with the heartfelt wishes of many people.

 Chanyeol shut his eyes and made a wish, plunging the small coin to the bottom of the fountain. he grinned weakly as he made his way out of the Lobby, out the spinning doors. the moon was getting ready to set, and the streets filled with a large crowd. Chanyeol looked back at the large 72 storey building that he had just come out of. The lights through the windows turned off one by one, seeing employees getting ready to leave one by one. the office at the very top shone brightly, and Chanyeol looked away.

  Soon he would be sitting there at the very top, doing what his father did for the past thirty years. he blended in with the crowd, walking in the same direction as he made his way home.  In truth, he didn't care about the money. he didn't care about the latest trends in fashion, or the latest technology that every student had nowadays. He cared about baseball, and he wished that he had someone who would support him through that.

 

 Please send me someone who will support me

 

Chanyeol let out a ludicrous scoff. he knew that such thing would never happen to him, yet he wished and wished for it every single day. Just one person by his side, and that would be more than enough to win this battle against his father. the streets grew darker as he walked toward a deserted part of the road, distancing himself from the city. everything about his family was unusual. His father hated large crowds and decided to build a house at the very top of a mountain, where hardly anyone would roam. It was a good place to scream out your worry, but even that was detained because his father claimed noise as his worst enemy.

 He walked along the side path, where the dark road laid. across the road laid the beautiful jewel that was the city of Seoul. the lights of the city twinkled beautifully in its place, lighting up the world. Chanyeol managed to find some comfort in this, which was why he loved the walk back home.

 There was a steep path that you had to walk up in order to get to the front gate. There were mini steps dug next to the driveway so that it made the climbing easier. Chanyeol glanced at the steep from afar and continued to walk slowly. his duffel bag was weighing him down everytime he walked up those steps, but he was ready for it and would take in much more. Usually, the roads were much more safer on a daily bases.

 But today, Chanyeol felt something suspicious.

He heard the wheels of a suitcase dragging along the bricks, halting everytime Chanyeol stopped. he peered back but couldn't see clearly because the streetlights had turned off at the back. he cringed and continued to walk, his speed rising. he had a secret weapon in his duffel bag, and he was not afraid to use it. he started to run and so did the rolling of the suitcase wheels, chasing him through the darkness. 

 Chanyeol saw the steep right before his eyes but before he could rush up the stairs, he tripped and fell. he ped his duffel bag and gripped the metal baseball bat tightly in his hands, ready to beat up whoever was coming his way. under the lamp post that guttered, Chanyeol cringed his eyes to see the figure with his eyes. for a moment he hesitated, but laughed when he saw the identity of the chaser.

 

 "It's a girl." 

 

The girl collapsed on the top of her large pink suitcase and gagged for breath.  Her appeareance was unkempt and was certainly not attractive. Her hair was strewn out of place, parts of her hair stuck through the buttons of her school uniform. unlike most girls, her skirt was more of a quilt, below her knees. he glanced at her shoes, a pair of aqua converse that had loose shoelaces coming off the sides. she let out a diminutive cough and looked up. she stared at Chanyeol and slid off her suitcase.

 "Do you have something against feminism?" she crossed her arms as she looked into his eyes. "I'm a girl? then should i go attach a on myself to match your taste?" she blurted as she wiped the sweat off her forehead. Chanyeol froze in his spot, unable to say a word. He had never encountered someone like this, and he certaintly didn't know how to act to it. "Your words are a little harsh," he raised an eyebrow. "considering the fact that we're strangers."

 Chanyeol tried not to lose his temper.

"You going to put that down anytime soon?" The girl glared at the baseball bat in his hand. He coughed awkwardly and zipped it safely inside his duffel bag, spacing himself from the temperate girl. She slipped out a paper from her pocket and looked around the place, seeing a large house at the top of the steep. she pulled the handles out of the suitcase and began climbing up the stairs as if nothing had happened.

 "Whoa whoa," Chanyeol sped ahead of her, blocking her way. "Where do you think you're going?" he asked her with ridicule. She sighed, clearly annoyed. she blew air into her bangs and pushed Chanyeol, who only budged even stronger. 

"Move."

"Y..you're not allowed in here." Chanyeol gulped. he was starting to get afraid of this girl. who knew what she was going to do once she had access to his house? The girl scowled and pushed Chanyeol even harder. He collapsed on the steps, but bounced right back up. "I'm going easy on you because you're a girl," he puffed. "when i get angry, i get really dangerous. so before i blow off, please walk down these stairs." Chanyeol grit his teeth. 

 "When i get angry, i get really dangerous." the girl repeated in mockery, walking past Chanyeol. 

 

"HEY!" He yelled. he chased her all the way to the top, where the gate was left open. The girk walked right through, stomping into the extravagant garden that Chanyeol's mother spent hundreds on. she rinsed her hands in the fountain of David and wiped her hands on her blazer. she fixed her hair and tucked her hair neatly behind her ears, transforming into a modest girl. 

 With her suitcase destroying the beautiful osmanthus flowers, she stood before the front door and began banging on it loudly. "Why is everyone here so slow?!" She muttered as she began banging on the door even harder. The metal door knocker fell, followed by a screeching sound of the knocker splitting into pieces. "Fricking.." she cursed under her breath as she pushed the remains behind the flower pot and cleared her sin. 

 Chanyeol watched her in satire. 

"Look," she turned around, annoyed. "Why do you keep on chasing my tail?" 

 

"Do you know who i am?" Chanyeol screeched in annoyance.

"No." she answered casuallly. 

Before Chanyeol could say another word, the door opened and revealed the house helper who peeked through the door. she recognized Chanyeol at once but stared cluelessly at the girl who stared at the woman blankly. "May i help you..?" the helper asked.

 "AhJumma," Chanyeol blurted. 'Don't let her in! She's some crazy pedo who chased me home!" Chanyeol pushed her aside as he rushed through the door. the girl scoffed as she ran her fingers through her hair. "Mr.Kim should be expecting me."

"Why would my father be expecting you?!"

 

The girl stared obliviously into Chanyeol's eyes and made a smirk. 

"You're his son?" 

"O..of course! I'm the grand son of the CEO of Daesang!!" Chanyeol screamed in pride as he tried to block her from stomping into the house. Jieun grabbed her suitcase and hurled it at Chanyeol, making her way through the door as Chanyeol slid across the floor with her suitcase in his arms.  the helper stared in surprise but excused herself in the corner, watching the conversation of the two 21st century teenagers. 

  "I'm hungry." she looked around for the kitchen. "Ahjumma, where's the kitchen?" she asked rhetorically and skipped over to the pantry, feasting on Chanyeol's favourite crisps. "HEY!" Chanyeol roared as he pushed her suitcase into the living room and snatched the crisps off her. she stared at him impudently as she stuffed the crisps into . "I've been saving these.." his fingers trembled of anger. "for myself." 

 "Why, daddy doesn't give you pocket money?" she sniggered as she slipped out a bottle of coke and drank it right from the bottle. half finished, she placed it on the kitchen bench and sauntered over to the living room. she sat with her legs crossed, her long skirt covering her legs. Chanyeol sat opposite her, staring at her with contempt. everything about her from head to toe was pure resentment. 

 The girl stared at his dirty uniform. 

"Do you wash?" she asked casually.

"Can you get out?" Chanyeol also said casually.

 

"No." she smiled. 

 

"Where's your brother?" she asked, looking around the house. He was nowhere to be seen.

"Why, are you going to seduce him?"

"You read my mind, Champ." she rolled her eyes and replied sarcastically. she sat with her legs crossed and rested her neck on the couch, staring at the ceiling. "I've never seen such big chandeliers before." she said absent mindly. "What will you do if they fell?" 

"Clean it." Chanyeol replied sarcastically.

"Don't you ever get lost in such a big house? what if there was a ghost and what if there wa-"

"Please.." he grit his teeth.

 

"STOP."

 

"Geez. calm yo farm." she pouted.

"Don't do that."

"Do what."

"Pout. do you think you look cute?"

"Oh," she scoffed. "I'm sorry. i didn't know i needed your permission to make facial expressions."

 

The clicking of the door rang from afar. The girl and Chanyeol both looked, and appeared Mr.Kim. with his spectacles loosely resting on his nose, he scanned around and grinned when he found the girl standing with the pink suitcase beside her. Chanyeol was appalled. in his nine years of being adopted, he had never seen his father smile before- yet this girl who appeared like a parachute was able to make him smile just by her existance.

 She bowed down ninety degrees and smiled back. 

He gave an apprehensive glance toward Chanyeol and diverted his eyes back to the girl. 

 

"I was expecting you." he chuckled as he shook her hand. "Welcome to our house, Miss Lee Jieun."

 

 

"Welcome to our house..?" Chanyeol whispered.

 

"Lee Jieun..?