Suppressing (EH)

A Fang for a Fang

Monday morning. There´s nothing worse than Monday morning. No, there is. Monday morning after Sunday, where you found out that your co-worker was a werewolf who was playing with your feelings just to get what he wanted. At least this time I have a hangover. Yeah, bash me all you want but I drunk last night even though I knew, I had work the next day. I smoked a lot too but I haven´t cried. Not even single tear should be spent on that bastard. And it´s not like we were going out or anything, not like I was heartbroken. Maybe a little but not as much as I was angry at myself for allowing someone to get close enough to me to hurt me.

“Hey, Eunhyukkie!” Sungmin called when he saw me coming to work. I was late but nobody cares anymore, I´m always late.

“Sungminnie,” I returned. I wasn´t in a good mood but that wasn´t Sungmin´s fault so gotta be fair.

I sat down on my seat and Sungmin hurried to feed me on everything, he felt was important, he had done on the weekend. I like to listen to my friend when he talks. It makes me relax and also feel like I´m important to someone. Don´t take me wrong, I have a good family and some friends too but vampires make it often a point to not get too attached to anyone. Because of that I sometimes feel slightly cold around them and Lee Sungmin is the perfect person when I seek some warmness.

“You look paler than usual, are you alright, Eunhyukkie?” Sungmin interrupted his speech in the middle.

“Just hangover,” I smiled sheepishly.

“Did I miss something yesterday? Lee Donghae over there is having a hard time too today,” Sungmin gestured to the werewolf sprawled on his desk.

“I had a bit prettier company to drink with,” I retorted vaguely remembering kissing a girl last night.

“You´re stupid Eunhyuk. Put on some make-up before Siwon comes or else you´ll have another lecture about drinking just like Donghae a minute ago. Today is Siwon´s favourite topic: temptations.”

“Thanks for the warning,” I shook Sungmin´s hand and sprinted towards the bathroom where I put on a little bit of powder to mask my pale complexion and dark circles. This should be enough.

Choi Siwon haven´t noticed my condition and focused on the poor brunette who wasn´t that lucky. I didn´t even feel sorry for him. But I wasn´t happy either. I hate werewolves with their rough behaviour and rude attitude and Lee Donghae is a perfect model of a werewolf. From his physics to his personality, the man is the best example of the hateful species. Unfortunately this still wasn´t enough for me to start hating the brunette. I can´t forgive him and in no way I can like him but there is this childlike charm and cuteness that I lack and that entice me so much. I crave for sweetness and Donghae is a stronger dose than my morning bowl. I feel so sad that I have to give it up now. All this time I was trying to make him talk to me, to notice me, is pointless. I should have listened to the warning in my head, those red lights that lit up every time the werewolf crossed my path, and distanced myself from him. Not just him but from everyone.

I´m a vampire, I´m not supposed to feel the warmth and trust. It´s an old saying between my blood brothers that standing too close to somebody, you will feel the life pass. It means something like close proximity would tempt another vampire to bite you because he will be close enough to take a note of your veins. It may sound strange to humans but to us it says a lot. This awareness makes us careful and secretive. But I broke this rule and allowed Donghae to metaphorically bite my vein.

“Hyuk, are you alright? It´s strange to see you so down,” one of my co-workers asked me during lunch break.

“I´m just tired,” I gave her a smile and lit myself another cigarette.

As always I was standing on the balcony together with Sungmin who was eating his lunch. Of course I was satisfied with only my paper roll filled with tobacco. The rest of my colleagues, Donghae included, were sitting inside the kitchenette. The atmosphere was getting a bit gloomy so I put on a smirk. The kind of smile you can pull off in any state of mind.

“But if you are too worried, we could always have a quickie on the toilets or something. That would surely cheer me up,” I winked at her. Almost everyone either chuckled or at least smiled.

“I´m not that worried, sorry,” she answered in a fake arrogance and my co-workers laughed again.

This should be enough to enlighten the mood and shift the attention from me. I would hate if people started asking me questions. I´ll do just like often before, hide, mask, control, suppress, fake my emotions. I should have done that earlier.

With my new determination and stronger barrier I continued forward. And before I knew it a week had passed, then weekend filled with women, alcohol and bloody treat, after that another week had begun. I´ve never felt this tired of living before. I´m lucky that vampires aren´t immortal as they say in old tales.

For this whole time not even a single word, apart from work, passed between me and Donghae. I was glad he decided to let me live and didn´t hurt me any more. I responsibly finished the project for Donghae´s parents’ anniversary and completed the necessities around the house. I wanted to slap myself for being such a moron doing all this for nothing but I couldn´t help it. I gave him my word after all. After that I decided to pretend like the brunette didn´t even exist. I didn´t even look at him once because I would immediately regret my vulnerability. But strangely I felt Donghae´s stare on me quite often.

I was almost sure that I´ll just have to man up and forget about the brunette when something totally unbelievable happened. It was late afternoon or maybe even already evening in the office. I was together with a few other colleagues working overtime on a new project when Donghae abruptly stood up and dashed to the bathroom. It was fishy but we all wanted to finally go home that we simply ignored it. A few minutes later my phone rung. Caller: Polka Dot

“Donghae?” I was confused.

“Eunhyuk, I need help!” Donghae cried to the phone.

“What? And what´s with your voice?” It was low and husky and sounded almost as a growl. Wait, growl?! “Don´t tell me...”

I glanced from the window and in a horror found out that it was already dark. What made me shiver, though, was a huge white plate in the sky. Full moon.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hi! Donghae and his stupidity are back! :) Thank you for reading and commenting - forever grateful PandaHero