Parents

An Unexpected Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“We never know the love of the parent until we become parents ourselves…”

Dear Diary,

The moment I found out So Won was missing, my heart almost stopped and I couldn’t breathe normally. Why?! Because So Won is my daughter and I couldn’t bear the thought of losing her. And when the moment I saw my father sitting beside So Won, I felt a sharp pain in my heart. Why?! First was because it has been 9 years since the last time I saw my father. He was slightly different from my memory of him. He was older now. The grey hair and the wrinkles were the best proof for his aged. Then I realized it has been really long time already since the day I ran away from him, from my home. Second was because I understand now the feeling of a parent that lost their children. The feeling I had when I thought I lose So Won was exactly how my father and my mother felt when they found me missing years ago.

I know I was very selfish back then. I act without trying to understand their feeling at that time. I just thought about myself. I just thought what was important to me and save what I want to protect. But at the same time, I neglected their feeling. They were also trying to save what they want to protect and what was the most important thing to them. It was me. I was the only person who was the most important to them, the only person they wanted to save and protect. But I disappointed them… very much.

That pain, sadness, disappointment, anger and helpless gaze that my father gave me when he knew that I was pregnant, I wouldn’t forget for the rest of my life. The only daughter he loved so much, I was a total disappointment. He felt heartbroken, shamed and very angry. He was a noble headmaster. He couldn’t accept something like this happened to his daughter. At that time, he only thought that the life inside of my womb was a shame, it was something that will ruin my life, my future. The only way they could do to save me was to get rid of the innocent life inside of me.

He sacrificed the house that he work for so hard all these years and moved away overnight because of me. He wanted to hide the shame that caused by me and trying to clean the dirt that I created. But how? My body went numb and my heart froze when I heard what he told my mother. Abortion. A way that kill me instantly just by hearing the word. He said I’m still young. He can’t let the baby to ruin my life. I know it was no use to fight because I’m just 18 years old. I was still underage. My parents have the right to sign the force abortion paper for me. I was so scared. At that moment, I just want to save my baby, our baby. I don’t care what it takes, what I need to sacrifice, I just need to protect the one thing that he left for me.

My body was trembled so badly when I was taken to the hospital. They didn’t tell me about the surgery. They just said they bring me to the hospital for a check-up. But the worried expression was clearly written on my mother’s face. My mother was worried. She kept asking my father very softly, afraid that I will over heard. She asked him to re-consider. She was worried about my health. But my father had already made up his mind. I know nothing could change his decision. I have no choice. I lied that I need to go to the toilet. But I was actually running away. But where can I run to? I’m underage, I have no money and I’m pregnant. I wanted to call him. The first person in my mind was him but… I know I can’t. If I call him, everything I did will be useless. I really have no choice but to make that call, the other call.

Everything was already the past now. I overcome all the obstacles and saved my So Won. But by doing so, it was so hard and painful, and it hurt so many people in the process. My father, my mother, So Won, him and myself. Who was the person who makes all these happened? Me? Him? Or the person who sent the message to me that night? I don’t know. Nobody could change the past now. I just hope the present and the future will be better and So Won will grow up healthily. That’s my only wish for now.

Love,

Shin Hye

 

-----------------------------------------------------------

 

“Appa.”

Park Shin Hye’s heart was pounding fast and hard against her chest as her legs felt jelly. She couldn’t believe her own eyes when she saw her father sitting on the bench with So Won in the park.

Song Joong Ki was accompanying her driving around the area nearby So Won’s primary school looking for her. She let out a sigh of relief when she saw her daughter in the park. She ran over without looking or thinking who was sitting with her daughter. But when the man beside So Won turned around, she felt her world froze and stopped spinning. 9 years. She met with her father again after 9 years she ran away from him. The picture of them in the hospital was back haunting her mind again. That day was scary but at the same time, it was sad and painful for her and for her parents.

Joong Ki was startled by her reaction as he looked at her and then turned to look at the man who was now already stood up of the bench, looking at Shin Hye too. His gaze was painful but is that regret he saw in that man’s eyes? He wasn’t sure. He heard Shin Hye uttered ‘appa’. Is that mean that man in front of them is her father?

“Eomma.” So Won called softly, looking scared and sorry.

Park Dong Gun looked down at So Won in shocked. “She… she is your mother?” He asked in disbelief.

So Won looked up at him and nodded her head softly. “Yes. She is my eomma.”

Park Dong Gun turned back to Shin Hye and their eyes locked. He couldn’t believe after so many years, her daughter was now standing in front of him and his grandchild was now beside him. His granddaughter, the one he wanted to kill 9 years ago. He tried to take a deep breath because he can feel his chest tightened and having difficulty to breathe.

Shin Hye’s eyes were now all red with tears threatening to roll down. She inhaled deeply as she slowly made her way towards them. When she was near to the bench, So Won walked over to her with an apologetic look.

“Eomma, I’m sorry.” So Won said softly, looking at her mother.

Shin Hye doesn’t reply her or she can’t even hear clearly what her daughter was saying. Her attention and mind was now captured by her father in front of her. She was no longer able to hold anymore. Tears started to fell down her cheeks.

“Ap-Appa.” She stuttered.

So Won and Joong Ki were both looking at Shin Hye and Park Dong Gun in shocked.

Shin Hye took another step closer to her father as she swallowed hard, looking straight at him. Her heart was clenched in pain when she saw tears welling in her father’s eyes too.

“Appa.” She called again.

Park Dong Gun averted his gaze. “I… I saw her… I mean I saw So Won wandering around the street in front of a public phone. I thought she was lost and she looked pale. So I brought her over to this park and let her rest for a while. I didn’t know she is your…” He paused and looked down. “… your daughter.”

Shin Hye nodded as she was looking down too.

“She was scared of the injection she needs to take. That was why she ran away.” Park Dong Gun looked back at Shin Hye as he let out a sad chuckle. “I guess she just acted like her mother.” He sighed again before walking over to So Won who was standing beside Shin Hye. He squatted down in front of her. He gently her soft hair and more tears welled in his eyes. “Park So Won.” He said her name with a warm smile. “Remember what I told you just now. You are a good girl and you have to listen to your mother. Injection might be scary and painful but it keeps you healthy. Don’t let your mother worried about you. Arasso?”

So Won looked at him and put her tiny palm on his face. “You are not ahjuhsi. Eomma called you appa. Are you are my harabeoji?”

Park Dong Gun smiled. He caressed her palm on his face for a while before he stood up and started to walk away.

“Appa.”

He stopped his steps when he heard Shin Hye calling him again behind him. “Don’t worry about us. I’m fine. Your eomma is very well too.” He said.

“May I know where you and eomma are staying now?” Shin Hye asked.

Park Dong Gun kept quiet for a while before he let out another sigh. “Still the same place.” He replied without turning back.

Shin Hye bit her lower lip hard, trying not to cry out. “C-Can I… come by to see you and eomma?”

“The house door has never been close and was always opened waiting for you.” He paused and took a deep breath. “Take good care of your daughter. If she was the reason for you to give up everything, you have to be stronger to protect her and show us that all those years were worth it for fighting so hard.” He said as he slowly walked away from them.

Joong Ki walked towards Shin Hye and patted her back softly when he saw her crying hardly now. “Are you okay?” He asked. He sighed as he saw Shin Hye shook her head and her whole body was shaking so badly. He slowly pulled her closer to him and hugged her gently. “Let it all out. Don’t hide everything inside your heart.” Although he wasn’t sure what happened to her and her parents in the past but he could roughly guess it.

Shin Hye didn’t push him away and continue to cry hard in his embrace. She knows she shouldn’t lose her control especially in front of So Won but everything that happened lately, or all these years, it really drained all her energy. She is very tired and she wasn’t sure how long she could hold on anymore. Min Ho, her parents and So Won’s condition, everthing was like coming to her at the same time.

Shin Hye didn’t count how long she has been crying but she quickly pulled away from him when Joong Ki’s phone rang. She looked at him awkwardly as she wiped her tears away. “I’m sorry.”

Joong Ki smiled softly before answering his phone.

Joong Ki: Yes, Min Ho.

Min Ho: Where are you and Shin Hye? I’m looking around the school but I couldn’t find both of you. I tried to call Shin Hye but she didn’t pick up. Have you found So Won already?

Joong Ki: Yes. We found her already. We will head back to her house soon. I think you should go to her house straight and meet us there.

Min Ho: Okay. I’ll see you guys there.

Joong Ki ended the call and looked back at Shin Hye. “It’s Min Ho. He will wait for us at your house. Are you okay? Should we go now?”

Shin Hye nodded with a weak smile. “I’m okay. Let’s go.” She said as she took a glance at So Won who was standing beside her, looking scared. Shin Hye didn’t say anything to her and just walked pass her.

So Won was shocked and looked more scared now. Joong Ki noticed and held her tiny hand in his. “Kaja.” He said with a smile.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------

 

When they reached Shin Hye’s house, Min Ho and Kim Hae Sook were already standing in front the house waiting for them. Shin Hye’s puffy and red eyes caught Min Ho’s attention instantly. He then looked at So Won who was following closely behind Shin Hye. Her face was paled and scared.

Shin Hye looked at Min Ho briefly before walking towards Kim Hae Sook. “I’m sorry to trouble you again. You must be very worried. So Won is okay.” She said with a weak smile.

Kim Hae Sook noticed something was not right. “It’s okay. Most important So Won is alright.” She turned So Won and smiled. “I guess I’m not going to disturb the doctors to do their work.” She looked back and Shin Hye and patted on her arm softly. “I’ll be in my house. Just come to look for me if you need anything.”

“Thank you.” Shin Hye replied.

After Kim Hae Sook went back to her house, she turned back to them as she looked at Joong Ki and then at Min Ho. She didn’t say anything and just took her house key out as she walked towards the door. So Won was still following behind her.

“What happened to her? She cried?” Min Ho asked Joong Ki after Shin Hye and So Won stepped into the house.

Joong Ki let out a sigh as he nodded. “I think she was too worried and then something happened in between. She must be tired.”

“Something happened in between? What thing?” Min Ho asked worriedly.

“I don’t know. I think you should ask her yourself.” Joong Ki patted his arms as he stepped into the house, with his medical bag.

So Won quickly walked towards Min Ho and hugged him tightly when she saw him came into the house. She started to cry. “Ahjuhsi-oppa. Eomma is angry with So Won.”

Min Ho squatted down and gently the back of her head, hugging her tightly too. Shin Hye was not seen in the house when he came in. “Where is your eomma?”

“She went inside the room. Since she found me in the park until now, she didn’t talk to me at all. She is very angry with me.” So Won said, crying even harder.

Min Ho looked up at Joong Ki before h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter