A Painful Deal

An Unexpected Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What’s more painful? When a person whom you trusted hurts you or the person whom you hurt still trust you…”

“What should we buy for our princess?” Lee Min Ho asked as he looked at the children dresses hanging on the hanging rails. They were shopping at a mall for So Won’s birthday tomorrow.

Shin Hye took a pink colour dress from the rails and showed it to Min Ho. “So Won looked very nice in pink. Should we get her this for her birthday party tomorrow?”

“My daughter looked nice in any colour. But you are right, she looked extra sweet in pink.” Min Ho smiled as he pulled Shin Hye closer and kissed at the side of her forehead. He held her hand and played with her diamond ring. “When I bought this ring the other day, I secretly get another one for So Won. It was just a simple small band ring. I send it to the shop to engrave her name. We can go to collect it later.”

Shin Hye looked at him and let out a soft chuckled. “I never heard a father give a ring to his daughter before.”

Min Ho shrugged his shoulder. “What can I do? My mother already took her neck and wrist with the maple leaf necklace and bangle. I have no choice but to get her a ring.”

Shin Hye rolled her eyes at him. “You are just being possessive and wanted to be the first man who gives her a ring.” She cupped his face and looked at him. “You know she will be other man’s wife one day no matter how possessive you are, right?”

His lips pouted as he shook his head. “I don’t want to think about that yet and I’ll make sure that day won’t come so soon.” He said before he walked away.

Shin Hye laughed as she hit his arm. “You are so selfish.”

“There are all bad guys out there. I couldn’t let my daughter to risk her life with them.” He said.

“Bad guys? Like those who play basketball and good in mathematics?” She .

Min Ho stopped and turned to her. “Yes. Especially those.” He then tilted his head and grinned. “Except for one but already taken.” He whispered.

Shin Hye pinched his nose and laughed softly.

 

“Okay. We can go to fetch So Won now and have our lunch later.” Min Ho said.

“Let me go to the washroom first.” Shin Hye gave the paper bags to him.

“Be careful. I’ll wait for you here.” He said with a smile.

Shin Hye nodded as she walked to the washroom not too far away. After she was done, she quickly rush back to find Min Ho. But then, a familiar tall man that walked passed her caught her attention. She froze in place and not dare to turn around to take another look. Her breathing became heavy and her heart was beating very fast. She took a deep breath before trying to walk away.

“Excuse me!”

Her footsteps stopped again when she heard that familiar voice behind her. She was now very sure it was him. The man that drugged her 9 years ago. She will never forget his voice that kept threatening her that night. Her body started to tremble when that tall man walked to her and was now standing right in front of her. She kept her gaze low trying to avoid his eyes.

“Is this your handkerchief? You dropped it on the floor.” He asked as he held the handkerchief to her. Shin Hye bit her lip hard when she saw the scorpion tattoo on his hand. She balled her sweating hands into fists and tried to steady her breathing.

“I-It’s not mine.” She stuttered and before that man could reply, she quickly ran away from him.

Min Ho was startled when he saw Shin Hye running towards his direction. He put all the paper bags down and catches her on time before she fell on the floor. Her whole body was shaking and her face was pale.

“What happened?” He asked worriedly. He scanned her from top to toe to make sure she wasn’t hurt anywhere.

Shin Hye closed her eyes and threw herself into his arms. She inhaled deeply trying to calm herself down. “I saw him.”

“Who?” Min Ho asked in confusion.

“That tall and tattooed guy that drugged me 9 years ago.” She answered.

His eyes widened in shock as he pulled away from her. “Where? Did he do anything to you?”

Shin Hye shook her head. “I don’t think he recognize me. I remembered I saw him once in the hospital months ago when I bring So Won for blood transfusion.”

Min Ho sighed. “I think it was just coincidence.” He pulled her back into his arms and her back gently. “It’s alright. I’m here. He can’t hurt you.”

Shin Hye tightened her arms around his waist and closed her eyes. She can’t explain why but her heart felt very uncomfortable.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------

 

After Joong Ki paid for his food, he walked around with the tray on his hands, looking for a table. The cafeteria was very pack today and just then, he saw Chae Won who was eating alone at the corner. He walked towards her and smiled when their eyes met.

“I can’t get a table. Can I sit down?” He asked.

Chae Won nodded without replying him.

Joong Ki put his food on the table before he pulled the chair and sat down on it. “You looked pale. Not feeling well?”

Chae Won shook her head. “I’m just tired.”

Joong Ki narrowed his eyes at her. “Tired or worried?”

“What are you talking about?” She asked.

“That guy who I bumped into the other day. What happened between two of you? He doesn’t look like a friend who came to visit you. He looked like he was threatening you.” He asked and sighed when he saw Chae Won’s face turned paler. “You know you can tell me anything. We are friends since we were kids. Even if you and Min Ho already broke up now, it doesn’t change anything. I still care for you.”

Chae Won looked up at him. “There is always something that no other people could help.” She looked down at her coffee as she sighed. “It’s just like how a heart changed and no matter what we do, we couldn’t get it back.”

Joong Ki understood what she was talking about. “You knew it from the start that there was always another girl in his heart.”

“But I was the one who be with him first.” She looked back at him with her eyes reddened. “I met him first. I was there with him when she ran away. We were already together before she came. It’s just another step. I’m almost there to become his wife. But why she has to come back at this time? Why she have to come in between both of us? I don’t understand. I felt so angry and sad and… I hate her so much.”

Joong Ki sighed deeply. “Love is not something like ordering food. It’s not first come first serve. They are getting married soon. They even have a daughter already. Don’t be stubborn anymore.”

Chae Won looked at him in shock. “They are getting married?”

Joong Ki nodded. “Yes. So stop torturing yourself for something that not worth it.”

Chae Won bit her lip hard as she fisted her hands, trying to control her anger. She took a deep breath before looking at Joong Ki again. “I’m done. You enjoy your lunch.” Without waiting for his reply, she stood up of the chair and walked away.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------   

 

So Won opened her eyes slowly when she felt someone came into her room. The lights were dimmed and a sweet smile plastered on her face instantly when she saw her parents came in with a cake in Min Ho’s hands.

“Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday to So Won, happy birthday to you…”

So Won laughed heartily when her father brought the cake nearer and squatted in front of her.

“Make a wish before you blow the candle.” He said.

So Won put her tiny palms together and closed her eyes. After a moment, her eyes flipped opened and she blew the candle off.

Shin Hye who was now sitting on the bed beside her clapped her hands and kissed on So Won’s cheek. “Happy sweet 9th birthday, my darling.”

So Won wrapped her arms around Shin Hye’s neck and kissed her cheek too. “Thank you, eomma.”

Min Ho put the cake on the bedside table before he sat on the bed and gently pulled So Won to him. He cupped her tiny cheeks as he planted a soft kiss on her forehead. “Happy birthday, princess.” He let out a deep sigh and looked deep into his daughter’s eyes. “I’m very sorry for not being there with you for the past 8 years during your birthday. But appa promise you that there will be a lot more of 8 years that we will spend this special day together. Appa love you.” He leaned forward and kissed her cheek again. So Won threw her arms around Min Ho neck and tears were pooling in her eyes now.

“So Won love appa too.”

Min Ho smiled as he slowly pulled her away from him. He took out a small box from his pocket and gave it to So Won. “Your birthday present.”

So Won took the box and smiled happily. She opened the box and her eyes widened when she saw a ring. She looked at her father, looking confused.

Min Ho took the ring out and showed it to his daughter. “Can you see the words engraved on the ring?”

So won leaned forward and took a closer look.

‘Love So Won Forever’

She looked at her father and then her mother. “So Won love appa and eomma forever too.”

Shin Hye’s tears already rolled down from her eyes as she hugged her daughter tightly. “You have to stay healthy forever.”

Min Ho took So Won’s tiny hand and gently slipped the ring onto her middle finger. He smiled as he caressed her cheek. “Appa will always be the first man who gave you a ring, to protect you and to love you.” Min Ho said as he wrapped his arms around both of them.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Happy birthday! Awww… look at my little princess. You look so beautiful today.” Kim Mi Kyung hugged So Won once they arrived.

“Halmeoni, you see. Appa bought me a ring. I have a beautiful ring like eomma’s one.” She pulled away from her grandmother and showed her finger to Kim Mi Kyung.

“Wow… so beautiful.” Kim Mi Kyung held her hand and pulled her to the living room.

Min Ho and Shin Hye followed closely from behind. Shin Hye bowed at Lee Ho Jin who was sitting on a wheelchair in the living room. “Annyeonghaseyo, abeonim.”

Lee Ho Jin smiled. “Sit down. The dinner will be ready soon.” He turned to So Won who was heading towards him. “Hi So Won. Happy birthday.”

“Harabeoji, are you feeling better? Is your hand better now?” She asked as she sat down on the couch beside him and started to massage his left hand.

Lee Ho Jin laughed as he patted So Won’s hand. “Harabeoji feel much better already.”

“You can talk smoothly now. I think the therapy really helps a lot.” Min Ho said.

“Yes. Your abeoji was very hardworking with his exercise.” Kim Mi Kyung said. She then turned to Shin Hye. “So how was the wedding preparation? Have both of you set a date yet? I think we should find a day to visit your parents and discuss about it.”

“Yes. We should visit her parents soon. We still owned them an apology.” Lee Ho Jin said.

Shin Hye face reddened as she smiled shyly. “My appa and eomma went to Jeju for some family stuff. They will only be back two weeks later. They will be glad to meet both of you.”

Min Ho held her hand in his with a wide smile. “Let me arrange with them. We should really discuss about it soon. After that I need to change So Won surname back to our family registry name.”

So Won smiled and nodded. “I’m Lee So Won.”

All of them laughed as Lee Ho Jin her head gently. “Yes. You are our Lee So Won.”

So Won laughed too but just then, her head felt heavy in a sudden. She shook her head softly, trying to make herself feel better.

Shin Hye noticed the change in her face. “So Won-ah. What’s wrong? Are you feeling dizzy?”

All of them quickly turned to her and looked at her worriedly. Lee Ho Jin touched her forehead and checked her temperature. “Are you not feeling well? Are you cold?” He turned to the maid and instructed them to increase the temperature in the house.

So Won smiled and shook her head. “I’m alright.”

“Maybe she is hungry. She didn’t eat much during lunch today. Should we start our dinner now?” Min Ho asked.

“Yes. The dinner is ready. After the dinner we still have a birthday cake for So Won.” Kim Mi Kyung said with a big smile looking at her.

“Okay, let’s go to the dining room.” Lee Ho Jin said.

So Won stood up of the couch and walked towards her parents. Before she could reach them, her heartbeat raced and she felt difficult to breath. Her vision started to get blurry and the last thing she saw was her mother’s shocked expression.

“So Won!” Shin Hye screamed when So Won fell down lifelessly on the floor.

“Oh my god!” Kim Mi Kyung turned around and yelled when she saw So Won lying on the floor unconsciously.

Min Ho quickly carried So Won and laid her down on the couch. He checked her pulse and heartbeat. “She fainted again.” He turned to his mother. “Call the ambulance and Joong Ki.”

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

Shin Hye bit her finger nervously as she kept looking at the ER room. Joong Ki has been inside with So Won for at least an hour already. Her whole body was shaking and her tears were rolling down uncontrollably.

Min Ho’s heart clenched in pain when he saw her crying. He sighed before he pulled her into his arms. “Don’t cry. So Won will be alright.”

Shin Hye buried her face in the crook of his neck and sobbed hard. “It was my fault. I was too immersed in happiness and being careless. I should have check on her and make sure she is okay. Joong Ki told me her iron level increased a little but I thought she was alright.”

Min Ho her back and inhaled deeply. “Maybe she is just too excited because everyone is here to celebrate her birthday. Don’t get to the conclusion yet. Let’s wait for Joong Ki, eo?”

Kim Mi Kyung walked towards them and squeezed Shin Hye’s shoulder softly. “Don’t worry. We are all here with you. We won’t let anything happen to So Won.”

Shin Hye pulled away from Min Ho as she nodded and wiped her tears away. “I’m glad she is not alone this time. At least her family is here to support her.”

Just then, Joong Ki came out from the ER. His expression on his face gave a bad feeling to everyone who was waiting out there.

“How?” Min Ho asked.

Joong Ki’s eyes met his as he shook his head. “Her iron level kept increasing. We did a MRI scan for her just now and I found hypersplenism sign on her.”

Min Ho’s eyes widened. “Hypersplenism? Enlarged spleen?”

Joong Ki nodded.

“What is that?” Shin Hye asked nervously.

“The spleen sits under your rib cage in the upper left part of your abdomen toward your back. It is an or

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter