01

Chronology

I heard a slight rustling next to my ear just as I was about to pitch the ball. Bewildered, I glanced sideways, looking around the field.

“Yoo jin, throw the ball!” Sehun shouted across from his position, bat ready in hand. I could only stand motionless. What was that?

“Did you guys hear something? Like…Like...”

“Like what?” Kai looked up, fiddling with his glove.

“We didn’t hear anything Yoojin, just pitch the ball already!” Sehun shouted. I could only shrug, and turned back to face him.

“Alright, here it comes.” I threw the ball, and Sehun swatted at it, the ball sailing up into the sky.

“Aww yes.” Sehun brought his fist upwards.

“I got this.” Kai started moving backwards, and caught the ball easily in one fluent motion. He threw it back at Sehun, who once again, hit it all the way up.

“Awww I did it again!” I smiled, looking around at the empty field.

“Sis.” I turned my head around, looking everywhere. Wait what?

Sis!”

“Hey Yoojin, heads up.” Kai pointed upwards, and I followed his finger. Huh? I couldn’t see anything, and kept staring into this blue space.

Wait wha-

 

04/05 08:03

“Oww...” I reached around my head, feeling the presence of something quite heavy on my pillow. Grabbing blindly around, I managed to grasp hold of the object, only realising it was the alarm clock.

“Oh...” I glanced uncertainly around. Was I forgetting something? I looked warily over at the time, only to jump straight out of bed and change into school uniform.

“AHH! WHY DIDN’T YOU SET THE ALARM CLOCK YOU LIL .” Soojin stood by my bed, busily chomping on a piece toast.

“Oh good. It’s about time you got up.” I fled down the stairs, literally. Usain Bolt would have been proud seeing me run so fast.

“I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU TURNED OFF THE CLOCK YOU TARD.” The television was ; some news program documenting ‘nice day’ was on. I jogged on the spot, watching the program for a few seconds.

Ha.  Nice day. Queue Soojin the lil brat.

With repeated mutterings, I dashed towards the kitchen, taking the glass of milk in four seconds, before grabbing another toast.

“Morning dad. Bye dad.” I grinned cheekily at him, before reaching out for my bag and running out to get my bike.

“Wait Yoojin!” I sighed, momentarily jogging on the spot.

“What is it now?”

“Can you give this bag to aunt witch on your way home?” My mum spoke almost leisurely. I mean sure, I had spare time, but such times could be spent on, I don’t know mum, GETTING TO SCHOOL ON TIME?! I eyed the bag gingerly, before dumping it into the front basket.

“Yoojin.” She pointed just above my lips, and I began to rub there. Milk marks these days.

“I’m gone ers.” I had a push bike, only being able to build momentum through steeps and hills. I tried my best with controlling, only to fail and crash into the train crossing blocker. I sent a sheepish smile to the adults around me.

“Sorry about the ruckus every morning.” I could see Sehun up ahead, half asleep while riding his bike to school, and caught up to him.

“Slept in again, huh Yoojin? Maybe you should get your sister to kick you.” Sehun snickered, and I scoffed in response.

“That’s priceless, coming from you!” I pedalled ahead of him. Time waits for no one after all.

“Hey wait up! What’s in the basket?”

“Nothing of your concern.”

“Come on, tell me!” The school bell rung and I quickly locked my bike, with Sehun trailing right behind me.

 

"Wow Kai, always here so early. What did you do this time, serenade girls with your retarded guitar playing skills?" Sehun sneered at the studying boy, and I could only laugh.

"You guys should try being early for once."

"But we are early. Even have a minute to spare!" I argued right back, staring constantly at the door. The teacher came in just a few seconds later, and I stared glumly at the floor.

"Alright guys, do you know why I was late?" Mr Park waved the papers in his hand.

"Not a pop quiz!" Yuri exclaimed at her desk next to me. I turned away from Kai, my face with an appalled look. You've got to be kidding me.

I'm not stupid. I did come first in literature first before, but then again, I'm not smart either. I've always thought that when others are unlucky, I'm lucky. But that didn't seem to be the case when I was facing the paper this morning. Stuck on the second question of the half an hour quiz, the teacher had announced the last five minutes. I peeked around, trying to eye Kai's paper, only to see that he had just finished. I angled my head a bit more to find Sehun sleeping on his.

God dammit. Sehun and his fast solving brain with maths problems.

The teacher walked past me, hunched over my paper, and retracted back just to see my progress.

"Five minutes." I death stared at the paper. Why didn't I study last night?

Mr Park clapped his hands, and collected the papers for marking. I lunged at Sehun, nearly knocking Kai down in my progress.

" you and your maths." Why was I not born with math genes like Soojin?

"Hey stupid, take a chill pill."

"Puh-lease. Just because you're good at maths doesn't make you any smarter than me."

"Oh yeah?" He smirked.

"Yeah, maybe like your poor English and Japanese? I mean you can't even read the katakana or alphabet!"

"Well maybe I don't want to learn. Sehun slumped into his seat, and with that, the bell rung for the next period.

Oh god it's food technology.

 

I'm not clumsy, and I don't think anything drastic has killed me yet, but I can be quite a klutz. Cooking is easy, and learning to fry tempura wouldn't have been as bad if the chopsticks weren't having a grudge on me. It was awkward; the batter kept falling apart, and my chopsticks couldn't seem to hold that damn prawn in place. It slipped out of the two sticks, and numerously landed on the bench. I had to start frying, with the oil already hot and prawns done, otherwise the lesson would have already finished. I sighed, picking up the first prawn, thinking that the chopsticks wouldn't fail me now, that the prawn wouldn't slip and kill my skin.

Buttttttt good things don't always happen. Pssh to think I was lucky. What a joke.

The prawn slipped, dunking hard into the oil. I immediately backed away.

 I mean, it's hot oil. Never mind your reputation, just get the away.

With rational actions, I accidentally sent the neighbours lettuce flying into another pan, creating fire which sent the whole class into panic. Ms Yeon came and started sending the orders."Hyungmin get the fire extinguisher!" Hyungmin, another of my classmates, came rushing in, fumbling with the extinguisher as I could only sit there, just watching with horror at what I had done. Thank god the bell rang, and I made my escape from site.

 

I made sure not to get myself into complicated relationships. Even better, I made sure I don't get into any relationships until after graduation. But today was an exception. A big exception.

"Are you ok, Yoojin?" Yuri asked as we walked towards the main building. Around us were patches of grass with senior guys mucking around.

"Yeah I'm ok, just singed fringe a little." I picked at the strands in front of me. Yuri suddenly grabbed my hand.

"Yoojin watch out!" And before I knew it, I was on the ground with a senior on top of me.

See what I mean by try? It happens by default naturally.

I struggled under the weight, wriggling to try and get the body off me.

"Ugh can you not?" It wasn't until Kai came to help me push the senior off. Brushing away bits of grass. I stood up, Kai punching me lightly.

"So you have a thing with seniors now, huh?" He stuck his tongue out and ran away as I started advancing on him.

"Yuri, am I that scary?" She looked at Kai's direction. "I guess so."

 

Class finished, and Yuri and I were put back to clean up the classroom.

“Hey Yoojin?”

“Yeah?” I quickly folded up my maths quiz results and stashed them away in my pocket.

“Have you chosen between language arts and science yet?”

“Nope, still thinking.”

“Oh good. I thought I was the only one.” I gave her a smile.

“Hey Yoojin, how much longer are you going to take?” I heard Sehun’s voice from below and rushed towards the window, watching him on his bike ride in circles.

“You could always come and help.”

“Yeah like that’s ever going to happen.” He pedalled away, with Kai trailing behind him, baseball bat in hand.

“Just hurry up ok?” Kai sent two thumbs up, and I sent them back to him.

“I wonder what Sehun’s going to choose.” Yuri muttered.

“Probably science.”

“Probably, he is amazing in math class.”

“But only maths.” I pressed my back against one of the desks. “Why’d you bring up Sehun anyways?”

“Hey, who’s bringing the textbooks up towards the science staffroom?” A distinctive male voice called from the entrance of the classroom.

“Um… I don’t know?” I scratched my head, giving a sheepish smile while Yuri pointed her finger at me.

“You are.” I glared at her, features scrunched up, but all she did was angelically smile at me.

That lil poop head.

 

04/05 14:21

There were afternoon clubs in the school, and so I passed a few of them while carrying the pile of books up. The piano melodies strummed through the corridors, and I could only disdainfully look at the textbooks in my hands.  I made it to the third staircase before collapsing.

“What a hassle.” I weakly managed to get out, before starting on the remaining three flights.

As I finally placed the books down the bench, I noticed a few words on the board.

“Time waits for no one.” What was that even supposed to mean? I inserted a few books into trays, and heard shuffling in the prep room not long after. It was as if someone was putting away the apparatus, and with each sound of glass, I stared at the door with more confusion.

“Huh?” I angled my head, peeping through the glass. What was going on? Opening the door, I gingerly made my way in, and looked around the room, books still in hand.

“It’s empty.” That’s weird. The room was in full-organised condition, with nothing seeming to be out of place. Walking back towards the door, I tried budging it open, but it remained locked.

Wait what-

A small object, with the appearance to be almost walnut shaped, dropped onto the ground.

What’s that?

I made every step cautious, and not long was I in front of the object. Just when I was about to pick up the object, there was shuffling heard around the room, and I saw a shadow. I freaked, throwing the books up into the air and fell backwards as my elbow pressed onto the object.

Immediately I was put into another dimension. All I could see was light against a black background, and all I felt was the air rushing underneath me. The next minute was when I was transferred into a different scenario. Cavemen started advancing towards me, and bewildered, I started looking around for an exit. That was when I was transferred into a field, and I felt as if I was falling.

The next moment, reality came crashing down on me, and the textbooks rained on me. I struggled under the weight, but couldn’t put a reason towards this.

What the just happened?