07

Always

 

 


 

As heat strikes, the ice cream starts to melt, running down through her cone. She gently pressed her tongue on the cone, it in savor. gapes the ice cream; she swallowed and it side by side. Then she looks at her bestfriend who was talking endlessly. She totally forgot what she said; she was busy eating her favorite food. And the park is so crowded with kids: playing, running around and yelling around. They were sitting on the bench under the oak tree having a girl talk.


 

Pardon?”


 

Ugh! Taeyeon you’re not listening!” Tiffany whines. She kept talking for a couple of minutes now, but she found out that the one she’s talking with is not really paying attention. It would be irritating to repeat from the start; she scoffed.


 

As I was saying” She paused. “Im Seheun is asking me to go out, and I was wondering if you’re ok with it?” She said it briefly.


 

Taeyeon raised her left eyebrow while her ice cream. “Why wouldn’t I be?”


 

She lied.


 

Of course it’s not ok for Taeyeon. It stung her heart hearing it from Tiffany. She got jealous but she can’t do anything, she is her bestfriend. She has to support her no matter what. Even how much it hurts her seeing Tiffany with others.


 

Taeyeon has to endure the pain she’s feeling.


 

Because you’re my bestfriend and I want you to know I’m dating.” Tiffany looks at her in concerned.


 

! “Yeah I’m cool” She lied.


 

Really?” Tiffany raised her eyebrow.


 

Taeyeon nods as she continues her ice cream.


 

You sure?”Tiffany draws nearer to her, making an eye to eye contact. She wants to make sure if Taeyeon is really ok with it.

Taeyeon was annoyed, she glares at Tiffany. Her eyes look like its shooting lasers at her bestfriend. She raised her index finger and pointed it at her face.


 

Does this cute face ever lie?”


 

Of course, it’s the biggest lie. She’s really good in poker face. But sometimes her eyes can’t hide the pain. There were times that Tiffany can read her eyes, especially when both of them are alone in a room. Taeyeon oftens forget to hide her pain in that kind of atmosphere.


 

Look at my face, my serious face” She kept glaring at Tiffany.


 

Tiffany smiles gingerly as she was satisfied in Taeyeon’s expression.


 

Ok, ok you convinced me!” Tiffany laughs. She immediately hugs her, squeezing her tight. Taeyeon almost got suffocated by her hug.


 

Taeyeon noticed her ice cream starts to melt, she immediately pushed Tiffany away. But it was too late, it dripped on her shirt and it got stained.


 

Ya! Taetae look what you’ve done! My shirt got stained!” She cried.

What!? That’s not my fault!”

Ya!” Tiffany whined.


 

Ok, ok I’ll clean it, geez!” Taeyeon didn’t finish eating her melted ice cream. She threw it in the near trash bin. Then she pulls her hankie in her pocket; she wipes the stain on Tiffany’s shirt. She wipes it roughly that it rumpled Tiffany’s shirt.


 

Taeyeon.. slowly, be gentle.” She says it softly.


 

Taeyeon stopped wiping, her eyes widened; she flushed. She shook her head to get off her ert thoughts.


 

Tiffany looks at Taeyeon and grins mischievously. “You look like you’re imagining something”


 

Of course not!” Taeyeon rolled her eyes.

I know you Kim Taeyeon” Tiffany teases her.

Stop reading my mind”

Then stop being so obvious”

What? I-I’m not!” Taeyeon frowns.

See?!” Tiffany laughs.

Whatever!” Taeyeon scoffed.

Tae, I’ll borrow your clothes ok”

K”

Orrr maybe I’ll just stay overnight”

Ok. But be sure to tell your dad that you’ll be sleeping in my house”


 

Tiffany lightly hit Taeyeon on her shoulder. “Of course I’ll let him know.”


 

• • •


 

Mom, I’m home! Tiffany is staying overnight.” Taeyeon closes the door, as the two of them took off their shoes.

Her mom, in apron, went out the kitchen to see the two girls.

My, my Miyoung good to see you again” Taeyeon’s mother hugged Tiffany like treating her as her daughter.

Good to see you too, Mrs. Kim” Tiffany smiled angelically, showing her eye-smile.

It’s been a long time since you went here”


 

Since Tiffany’s mom died in an airplane crash, Mrs. Kim was like her second mom, treating her like a real daughter. She grew up together with Taeyeon in their childhood days, also being taken cared by her mom. Their family pays a visit to Taeyeon and Taeyeon’s family also visits them. Tiffany thinks she’s really lucky despite of the woeful tragic happened to her when she was young. She’s thankful Taeyeon’s family is there for her, especially Taeyeon who truly loves her. She can’t ask for more than that. She’s blessed with kind people around her.


 

Taeyeon can also relate what it feels to lose one parent. Taeyeon’s dad left them early when she was still thirteen. It was also the downfall of her life, she lost appetite for a week and didn’t want to go to school. She mourned.


 

Oh Taeyeon doesn’t want me here”

Huh?!” Taeyeon raised her eyebrow and looked at Tiffany in a questioning face.

Taeyeon..” Mrs. Kim glared at her daughter.

I was just kidding” Tiffany chuckled.

Taeyeon grabbed Tiffany’s arms. “We’re going upstairs now.”

You prepare clothes and towel for Miyoung ok? I’ll just call both of you for dinner.” Her mom smiled.


 

• • •


 

Here’s the towel─”

Don’t you want take a bath together?”

What?!” Taeyeon eyes widened.

I mean its better we can save up time if we take a bath together”

N-nahh, it’s ok. You go first. I’ll fix my things first”

Ok” Tiffany entered the bathroom, the she halts her pace. “Tae, if you want to bath together I won’t be locking the door”

Ok” She says nonchalantly. But deep inside she’s throbbing fast. She can imagine Tiffany stripping her clothes, getting . Taeyeon flushed, her face looks like a tomato as she imagines Tiffany’s hot body. She shook her head and slaps herself to keep herself calm and think right.


 

What the ! She’s teasing me, isn’t she?! Being her bestfriend is hard!! I want to give up already! UGH!


 

Tae?” Tiffany called her name inside the bathroom.

What?” Taeyeon raised her voice.

There’s no soap here, can you get me one?”

Uhh.. Ok~”


 

What the ! What the ! What the !


 

Taeyeon rushed down to the stairs to get a new soap. She opens the cabinet and reaches for the soap. She immediately runs upstairs and knocked at the door.


 

Fany-ah?”


 

No answer.


 

She knocks again.


 

Tiffany opened the door slightly. Taeyeon can only see her left shoulder, she sighed in good grief and handed her the soap.


 

Thanks Taetae” Tiffany smiled, as Taeyeon stands outside the door.”Aren’t you coming inside?”

What?! ─”

Don’t be shy. I mean we’ve done this before.” She fully opens the door and grabbed Taeyeon’s arm to get her inside.


 

Taeyeon’s heart is trembling fast. Her brain didn’t process well when she was being pulled inside the bath room by her bestfriend. She forgot to breathe air. She can’t handle this kind of pressure. True, it wasn’t there first time seeing each other , but that was before she didn’t start liking Tiffany more than a bestfriend. Today is totally different story. She doesn’t know what to do. She closed her eyes. She froze. She got temporarily deaf for minutes because she’s totally nervous. She opened her eyes, recovering her thoughts back, and found out she’s already . She immediately covered her with her arms, and looked down.


 

Ya! Tiffany what the hell─ “

Tiffany sprayed her with a gun-hose.

Taetae stop complaining, you’re such a kid!” She laughs.

Ya! How could I not complain you stripped me, you ert! ─”


 

Tiffany sprayed her face.


 

Ya!” Taeyeon shouted and got sprayed again.

Stop whining Taeyeon. We’ve done this a lot before there’s no need to be shy”

Ya! Stupid Tiffany! We were kids at the ti─” She got sprayed.

Ya!─” *sprayed*

Stop!─” *sprayed*

That!─” *sprayed*


 

Tiffany laughs evilly at Taeyeon who got fully wet. She sprayed her again and it made Taeyeon’s patience wear off. Before Tiffany could spray her again for the last time, Taeyeon rushed forward and pressed her lips on Tiffany’s. Tiffany dropped the gun-hose, she froze. Taeyeon smoothed her hands through her back, then her nape, running her fingers on her hair. She pressed her lips harder, as she enters her tongue inside , forcefully. She savors with passion. She expects Tiffany to pull off from their kiss, but she didn’t. She expects a slap on the face.


 

But there was none.


 

Taeyeon slowed down and tried to pull herself instead. She has to stop what she’s doing. It might already freak her bestfriend. It was a shock for Taeyeon. Tiffany stopped her from pulling away; instead she fought back with deep kisses. She swallowed Taeyeon’s, as she her tongue. It’s her turn. She pressed her lips more; both bodies were touching each other. Taeyeon can feel Tiffany’s soft touching her skin. She tingled. She moaned inside Tiffany’s mouth. She got . Her hands went down, heading for Tiffany’s .


 

She stopped.


 

There was a sudden knock on the door. Both of them startled, as they immediately scattered in a flash. Taeyeon jumps off her spot going to the door to lock it.


 

Y-yes?” Holding the door knob; she raised her voice so the person outside the door could hear her.

Eonni~ mom said it’s time to eat!”

Uhh─we’ll be there Haeyeon in few minutes!”

"Ok, eonni!"


 

Haeyeon left the room.


 

Taeyeon stands on the door hearing any presence of her sister in the room, but it seems she already left. She gave a big sighed. “Let’s just.. take a shower.”


 

Tiffany bit her lower lips and nods.


 

Both of them just took their shower without saying another word.

 


• • •

 

Haeyeon went down the stairs and hopped down on the last three steps, as she heads to the dining room. Her mom just finished cooking. She took off her apron and hanged it on the towel hook next to the refrigerator.

 

Where’s your two eonnis?”

Still taking a shower”

Both of them?”

Yep. Both of them inside the bath room”

Her mom just nods. “Let’s just wait for them. Prepare the plates and utensils, baby”

Yes mom.”

 

• • •

 

Twenty minutes later the two girls went out of the room and headed down to the dining room where Taeyeon’s mom and Haeyeon waited for them.

 

"Girls what took you so long, the food is about to get cold”

Sorry” Both of them said it in synchronize.

 

Taeyeon pulled the chair and sat beside Haeyeon, while Tiffany sat in front of her; facing each other. Both of them avoided eye to eye contact while eating their meal. They didn’t talk; they just chew their meals without any words escaping from their mouths. It was silent. The only noise that can be heard is their spoon and fork hitting the plate.

To break the silent atmosphere, Taeyeon’s mom clears .

 

Taeyeon, you give Tiffany a pajama later ok?”

She doesn’t want to”

Mrs. Kim looked at Tiffany with a concerned face.

Don’t worry Mrs. Kim. I like wearing shorts, it’s comfortable.” Tiffany smiles gingerly.

Taeyeon eonni likes it when you wear shorts” Haeyeon smiled mischievously at Tiffany.

 

Taeyeon was surprised by Haeyeon she glared at her sister, like she wants to smack her head on the table. “What?!”

 

Tiffany just looked at Taeyeon’s expression and she laughs. “I know. Taeyeon really likes butts”

 

Oh, I’m not surprised. She got that from her father” Mrs. Kim joked; she laughs.

Taeyeon flushed. She scoffed in defeat. “Whatever”

 

Taeyeon was the target, she was bullied by them. At least their dinner didn't end in a boring and silent atmosphere after all. It was fun bullying Taeyeon because she easily flushed. She’s really cute when Taeyeon startles and blushes. Her cuteness calls for a punch on the wall, you just can’t resist her. No one can resist her adorkable cuteness. Not even Tiffany.

 

• • •

 

Dinner was over, she wanted to help Taeyeon wash the dishes but Taeyeon refused the help. She told Tiffany to go upstairs and leave the remaining chores to her. Tiffany was against it she really wants to help her whole heartedly but Taeyeon sprinkled water on her face.

 

Ya!” Tiffany shouted. “I want to help you know!” She snorted and crossed her arms.

Go upstairs and get ready in the bed”

What?” Tiffany raised her brow.

 

I mean you ready-fix the bed!” Taeyeon scoffed. She was surprised on what she just said. She just told Tiffany to get ready in the bed, it sounded so weird and awkward and ert! She didn't mean what she said, it just clumsily slipped on the tip of her tongue. She flushed, she didn't want her to notice it so she turned her face and continues washing the dishes.

 

Fine!” Tiffany snorted and left Taeyeon alone in the kitchen. She halts and looks back at Taeyeon. She was about to say something but she forgot. She shook her head and continues walking upstairs.

 

She was about to open the door knob, suddenly someone grabbed her cloth lightly. She turned around and saw Haeyeon, who was holding a pink pillow. She hands it on her and smiled gingerly.

 

Eonni”

 

Tiffany was surprised; she was awed by Haeyeon’s action.

 

Thank you” Tiffany accepted the pink pillow and hugged it. She smelled the pillow and found out that it was new. “Is this new?” She asked.

Eonni bought that a month ago but she didn’t use it”

I see..”

I think that’s really for you”

Eh? Why do you say so?”

Because Fany eonni likes pink!” Haeyeon smiled. Tiffany pats her head and kissed her on the forehead. She thanked her again and bid the little girl a good night sleep. The little girl left and went inside her room.

 

Tiffany’s right palm touches the knob and slowly twisting it. She opened the door and went inside the room. Pacing forward the bed; she paused. She looks at Taeyeon’s study table and above it there were hanged frames on the wall. She inched forward and looked at the photos.

 

It was her and Taeyeon.

 

She looks at the photo thoroughly.

 

Taeyeon and her in their third year of grade school.

 

Taeyeon and her in holidays.

 

Taeyeon and her in birthday celebrations.

 

Taeyeon and her in their grade school graduation ceremony.

 

Taeyeon and her in their family beach outing.

 

Taeyeon and her in their first year of high school.

 

Taeyeon and her in every single moment of their life.

 

 

It has been Taeyeon and Tiffany. They are always together. Bestfriends forever.

She gets the frame and holds it, tracing Taeyeon’s face with her index finger. She looked at it deeply; she didn’t even blink for ten seconds.

 

Bestfriends forever. She thought.

 

She heard a twist on the door knob, and the door was opened. Taeyeon went inside her room and looked at Tiffany who was standing near her study table holding a picture frame. She didn't mind her; she locked the door and climbs on the bed. She hovered herself with a blanket, arranged the pillows and laid herself in a sleeping position.

 

Don’t forget to turn off the lights” Taeyeon doze off first.

 

She was tired and she wanted to shut her eyes to fully rest her body. Going to the park, walking, showering with Tiffany, kissing and washing the dishes; those were not kidding activities. That would really be tiring; especially being and kissing Tiffany inside the bath room was not a joke. What was she thinking? Was that almost being called ?

 

? She made a mental laugh. How was that even called 'almost when I somehow wanted that to happen? But... She kissed me, again. What was the meaning of it?

 

Why, why, why in the world she would kiss her back? Tiffany is indeed confusing; a while ago she said she wants to date the dude whom Taeyeon forgot the name and later, Tiffany would kiss her back. Why was Tiffany torturing her like that? Is she just teasing her? Or just unintentionally playing her heart again? Taeyeon doesn't know. It’s really confusing. It makes her angry; it hurts her most being tortured like this. If Tiffany doesn't really want Taeyeon why can’t she just let her go or treat her like normal bestfriend does?

 

Is it they were really not normal bestfriends at all? Or is there more to it?

 

For Taeyeon it has always been confusing and frustrating.

 

It’s always been Taeyeon feeling this one sided love. She wants to quit this now.

 

Her heart is tired and bruised.

 

She wanted to stop.

 

She has to.

 

I have to.” Taeyeon whispered.

 

• • •

 

She turned her body facing at Taeyeon’s back. She wants to sleep but she couldn't sleep. She wanted a hug. She wants to hug Taeyeon who was facing back at her. She put her hand on Taeyeon’s torso and moved closer to her, she breathes deeply.

 

She started closing her eyes, but suddenly she felt a movement.

 

Taeyeon turned her whole body facing her. Their faces were two inches near from each other. Tiffany could feel her breathing.

 

She smiled.

 

She fixed her bangs and kissed Taeyeon on the forehead.

 

I love you.” Taeyeon mumbled clearly in her sleep.

Tiffany winced. She looked at Taeyeon who slowly opening her eyes.

I thought you were asleep Taetae.”

You kissed my forehead it was bothersome ─ it tickles.”

It was a goodnight kiss.”

It's dawn.

But the sky is dark, so it's technically night.”

This won't end.” Taeyeon yawned. What times is it?”

Tiffany reached for her cellphone and looked at the time. 2:12”

I see…” Taeyeon closed her eyes again.

Tae?”

Mmm?”

 

Tiffany moved her hands, touching Taeyeon’s left cheek. Taeyeon holds her hand and draws Tiffany near to her. She hugged her tight. Tiffany’s face was buried in Taeyeon’s collar bones. Tiffany moved even closer, pressing their bodies.

 

Miyoung. I love you─”

Taeyeon─”

I know. I just want to tell you for the last time that I love you.”

What do you mean?”

What do I mean? I want us to be bestfriends again─”

But we are bestfriends.”

 

For you… But I want to go back where we started. I didn't mean to fall for you. We’re still young. I understand. I’m confused─you said that… “

 

Taetae are you leaving me again? Are we keeping distance again, ‘cos if that’s the case I don’t want that! I don’t…” Tiffany’s tears started to fall down on her cheeks. Her hands grabbed Taeyeon’s collars as she buried her face on her chest. “I don’t want to be away from you..” She sobbed.

 

Fany, of course I’m not distancing myself from you…” She hugged her bestfriend tightly, kissing her head. “I’m sorry… I didn't mean it that way.”

 

Then what?”

 

I-I want to forget these feelings. I want to stop my stupidity. I just want to love you like a bestfriend context only.” Taeyeon paused. “I want to move on”

 

Taeyeon…” Tiffany said softly. “I…” Tiffany stood up in a sitting position and pulled Taeyeon to sit down. Taeyeon just let herself being pulled by her.

 

Tiffany pins her eyes at Taeyeon’s orbs as she looks at it deeply and intensely. Suddenly she pulls her shirt up and took it off. She moved forward and grabbed Taeyeon’s hand placing it on her .

 

 

Woh!” Taeyeon was surprised, she took her hand off her .

 

Taeyeon wanted these things to happen, imagining this sort of things. Kissing and touching. But today, it feels so weird. The atmosphere is so weird and awkward. She felt that Tiffany wasn't really in right mind, like she forced herself. Taeyeon does not want that. She does not also want to take advantage of what’s happening. If Tiffany wanted to do this sort of stuff, Taeyeon doesn't want it to be lust but love. She grabbed the blanket and covered it on Tiffany’s body.

 

Fany, what the hell are you thinking!?” She holds Tiffany’s shoulders, she frowns.

I don’t want you to be gone by my side” she cried. "If this is the only way─"

No,no.. Tiffany, no. Not this way.”

I don’t want you to change your treatment to me either”

 

Of course I won’t. You’re my bestfriend” Taeyeon hugged her tight. “I always love you. I’m always here for you. What you’re doing is not right. Don’t force yourself. This isn’t the way. I told you I just wanted to be back what we were before. I want us to be normal again.”

 

Going back what they were before…

 

Before Taeyeon started seeing Tiffany in a different way.

 

It’s impossible to pretend like nothing happened. It’s a lie if you keep pretending like all of it was a joke. From the beginning of their friendship, Taeyeon and Tiffany weren’t having a normal friendship. Not even a normal treatment of a bestfriend does this stuff. Was there really more to them? Obviously Taeyeon likes Tiffany, but what about Tiffany? Does she have feelings for Taeyeon? What if your bestfriend, especially a girl confesses to you? Would you be awkward and stop being friends with her?

 

Tiffany didn't do that. She keeps being her bestfriend. It’s really impossible to go back from the start. There’s no point of going back when you said those words. It only depends on how you handle the situation and maintain the ground of where you’re standing.

 

I hate you Kim Taeyeon! You left me those months!”

I’m sorry.”

 

Taeyeon pulled herself from the hug and kissed her on the forehead.

 

Please stop crying. I hate it when you cry” She wiped her tears. “Especially I’m the cause of it” Taeyeon hugged her again.

 

Tiffany stopped crying. She let herself be buried in Taeyeon’s collar bones as her nose touched her skin. Taeyeon's shirt soaked in her tears.

 

They stayed in that position for a while.

 

Minutes have passed. Taeyeon pulls Tiffany to lie in bed. She spread her left hand, and let Tiffany rest her head on her arm. She arranged the sheet draping from Tiffany’s body to prevent her from being cold. Taeyeon hums a melody to make her sleep, and slowly Tiffany shuts her eyes.

 

It’s warm being in your arms. I feel safe.

 

 

• • •

 

The next morning Tiffany slowly opened her eyes and shuts it back. She’s adjusting from the brightness of the light passing through the window, hitting her skin. She groaned. She opened her eyes again and looked at her side. It was empty. She woke up without Taeyeon on her side. She pulled the sheet off her and found herself wearing shirt. She paused to think what had happened last night. She cupped her face as she remembered what she did; she flushed from embarrassment. She shook her head as she slaps herself.

 

 

She breathes deeply before she got off the bed and her feet touched the cold floor; she went out of the room and headed to the kitchen where Taeyeon was cooking.

 

Good morning Fany.”

G-good morning.” She swallowed. “You’re early.”

I have to cook our breakfast. Mom and Haeyeon went to the market.”

I see… Hmm.. What are you cooking there?”

Pancakes.” She flipped the pancake and put it on the plate. “Sit.”

 

Tiffany unfolds her arms and sits on the chair. Taeyeon puts the pancake on her plate and pours honey on its top.

 

Eat plenty you have a date today.”

Tiffany raised her eyebrow. “I want to cancel it.”

Why?”

I’m tired.” Tiffany said nonchalantly.

 

Pfft~ If I were the guy I would be disappointed.”

I’m still sleepy Taetae.”

You promised to your date. It would be bothersome if you cancel it on the spot. You could have told him last night.”

Tiffany slammed her hands on the table. “Fine!” She stood up and went upstairs.

Ya! You haven’t finished eating your pancakes!” Taeyeon gritted her teeth, and shook her head in disbelief. “What’s wrong with her?” She forked the remaining pancakes of Tiffany’s plate and ate it.

 

Stupid!"