Chapter 13

Tutor Wars

Double update because I love you guys and I haven't updated in so long :) 


 

Suyeon stares up at the glow-in-the-dark-star-dotted ceiling of her room.

 

    Stress. That was the reason Mirae gave her for her breakdown.

 

    “I’m really sorry,” Mirae had giggled, sheepishly running a hand through her hair. “I think the stress of the bet and our schoolwork got to me. That was so weird! I don’t even know why that happened to me!”

 

    When Suyeon questioned her about Kim Jongin, a sour look appeared on Mirae’s face. “Don’t ask me about that douchebag. I have no idea why he did that. It was weird.”

 

    But something about her expression told Suyeon that Mirae wasn’t telling the whole truth. And what Mirae said next confirmed it.

 

    “I think I’m going to drop out of the bet, Suyeon. I’m so, so sorry, I know we’ve almost finished and we were so close to winning. But I just... I think I’m way too stressed.”

 

    “I couldn’t have just said no,” Suyeon whispers to her walls. “That would’ve been so inconsiderate and mean. But now we lose.”

 

    Her thoughts are rudely interrupted by the sound of shouting downstairs. Suyeon rolls her eyes and stands up.

 

    “Can you guys keep it down?” she hollers down the stairs. Unfortunately,the voices do not desist.

 

    “I told you to take out the trash this afternoon!” Suyeon’s mom yells.

 

    “It’s not even my turn! It’s Suyeon’s turn!” Jaemi screeches. “Why doesn’t she have to do anything?”

 

    “She has to do homework. She’s a high school student. And don’t shout at your mother!” Suyeon’s dad retaliates. Jaemi scoffs.

 

    “Oh, please, that’s coming from someone who shouts at Mom half the time anyway-,”

 

    “That’s because she shouts at me first!” Mr. Lee protests.

 

    Excuse me? No I don’t!” Mrs. Lee shrieks.

 

    “This is ridiculous,” Suyeon grumbles, and stomps downstairs. She grabs her jacket and manages to sneak out of the house, undetected.

 

    It is relatively chilly outside for a September evening. Although, Suyeon realizes, it is almost October anyway. Speckled orange and burnt red leaves have already begun to flutter down to the sidewalk from the bushy trees above. Suyeon tips her head back, sighing. Where should she go?

 

    Suddenly, her cell phone buzzes. Suyeon wrinkles her eyebrows at the unknown caller number displayed on the screen. After a moment’s hesitation, she swipes the green “Allow” button.

 

    “Hello?” she says.

 

    “We’re calling off the bet,” a cold voice informs her. Suyeon’s eyes widen.

 

    “Who is this?” she asks, although she already knows who it is.

 

    “Oh Sehun. Obviously.”

 

    “How did you get my number?”

 

    Suyeon hears him smirk. “I have ways.”

 

    “Great,” Suyeon replies angrily. “Now, what did you say about the bet? You’re quitting?”

 

    “Yes.” Sehun sighs. “Jongin has decided to back out. After trying to convince him to not quit for a day, I just gave up.”

 

    “Well, you’re in luck, because Mirae quit too.”

 

    There is a pause. Then he says, “Oh.”

 

    “There’s something they’re not telling us,” she mutters. “Did they know each other before? Did they meet each other somewhere else? Something’s not adding up here.”

 

    “How about we try to find out?” Sehun suggests. Suyeon raises her eyebrows.

 

    “And how will we do that?”

 

    “What are you doing tomorrow?” he says instead of answering her question.

 

    Suyeon is about to tell Sehun off, tell him that sneaking around their best friends’ backs is horrible and shameful.

 

    But a tiny little voice in the back of her mind whispers, Mirae has her own little secrets with Jongin. Why can’t I have some, too?

 

    So Suyeon tells Sehun, “I’m free tomorrow.”

 


    

“Good morning, Mirae!” Jaesun chirps as she steps into her therapist’s waiting room.

 

“Morning, Jaesun,” Mirae responds wearily. She has become accustomed to this man’s annoying enthusiasm, and resigns herself to going along with his conversations. “How are you?”

 

“Doing well, thanks for asking! Actually, I wanted to ask you something-,”

 

A nurse opens the door. “Mirae? Dr. Yoon is ready to see you.”

 

“Wait, Nurse Hyeri, I was about to tell Mirae about my garden party!”

 

“Oh, alright!” Nurse Hyeri smiles. She leans against the door. “Go ahead.”

 

Jaesun turns back to Mirae. “Well, I have a sort of tradition of throwing small parties once in a while, for everyone that comes to my therapist. Last year, I did it at my old therapist’s, but he retired, so now I’m doing it here.”

 

    “Uh...,” Mirae glances at the nurse, who gives her a reassuring smile. “Uh, I don’t know if my mom will let me...,”

 

    “We can talk to her about it,” Nurse Hyeri says, and Mirae winces internally. No, stop it, Nurse Hyeri. I’m trying to make an excuse to why I can’t go. You’re not helping. “Dr. Yoon and I- along with all the nurses- will be there. She can come too!”

 

    “Uh, sure, I guess you can talk to her about it.” Mirae shrugs. “Well, I’d better go to my session. Dr. Yoon must be waiting. Bye, Jaesun!”

 

    “See you, Mirae!” The jovial man gives her an ear-to-ear grin and waves. Mirae waits until the door has closed until she groans.

 

    “You look a little annoyed, Mirae,” Dr. Yoon chuckles as she walks into his office.

 

    “Well, Jaesun just invited me to his garden party,” Mirae begins, and Dr. Yoon chuckles.

 

    “Say no more. I completely understand. Although, I don’t think there’s any harm in going. I will need some company when I go there...,”

 

    “Dr. Yoon, don’t you have tons of other patients that’ll go there, too?” Mirae chuckles. Dr. Yoon dramatically shakes his head.

 

    “You’re special, though, Mirae. Don’t tell anyone,” he adds, surreptitiously looking around, “but you’re my favorite patient.”

 

    “Oh, sure,” Mirae laughs. Despite the fact that she hates having a therapist, Mirae cannot deny that Dr. Yoon is like the grandfather she never knew. When I get over my OCD, I’ll visit him every Christmas, she decides.

 

    Mirae explains Thursday’s breakdown, and Jongin’s actions. Dr. Yoon looks extremely curious.

 

    “Did he return your medicine to you?” he asks. Mirae nods.

 

    “I found it in my mailbox the next morning,” she tells him.

 

    “That’s really interesting.” Dr. Yoon rubs his chin. “What is this boy’s name?”

 

    “Kim Jongin?”

 

    “Hmmm...,” Dr. Yoon has a pensive look on his face. “I see.”

 


 

Suyeon looks in awe up at the towering skyscraper in front of her. It is a concave silver rectangle, standing at an impressive height of 34 stories. She knew Sehun’s luxury condo complex was located in the rich part of town. This is just the first time she’s seeing one of the expensive buildings up close.

 

Suyeon snaps out of her daze and fishes her phone out of her pocket. Condo #193, Building 4, she reads. “This should be it,” Suyeon says, locating a door with 193 on it, and rings the doorbell.

 

A few seconds later, a voice crackles over the intercom outside the door. “Who is it?”

 

“Suyeon.”

There is a click! “The door’s unlocked.”


A/N: Get ready for a LOT of Sehun x Suyeon

I'm considering doing something with them that I might regret but I've never tried it before so I might as well try?