Book 3: Two

Ultimate Balance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: It's definitely been quite a while since I updated, but I'm back and hopefully not all of you have left! As a refresher for what has happened, Mira, the Ultimate of fire that they just recruited (Hwajae), and the boys are on their way to see the supposed Ultimate of Water's show!

 

 

A chill went down Mira’s spine as the group of them took their seats with the rest of the audience. Her eyes darted around the stage in an attempt to catch anything in her peripheral vision, but all she could make out was the flailing limbs of screaming girls. The nine of them had been seated in the center of the 5th row, and with seats at such a close proximity it would be easy for Mira to tell if the Ultimate was the real deal or not.

“Are you okay?” Haiku nudged Mira gently when he noticed her slight discomfort. 

Mira nodded in response and gave him a small smile of reassurance. “I’m just being cautious.”

“Let us know immediately if anything seems off,” Baekhyun reminded her, grimacing when a stray hand nearly smacked him in the face.

“I swear to god I’ll tear these girls apart if somebody hits me again,” Jongin growled a little too loudly. He smiled in satisfaction when he heard a bitter hiss from the offending girl on his side. His smirk immediately dropped when he felt another smack on the back of his head that was suspiciously on purpose.

Just as Jongin jumped to his feet to fight, the lights began to dim and the booming sounds of trumpets echoed through the air. “LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, IT IS NOW TIME FOR WHAT YOU HAVE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR…”

Smoke began to billow out from the ground, and a single man slowly emerged from the center of the stage. His appearance was accompanied by the screams of the audience, informing the group that the man must have been the so called Ultimate.

Jongin was begrudgingly pulled back into his seat by Suho and grumbled something about wishing he was Mira so he could teach those girls a lesson.

“THE ULTIMATE OF WATER, HYUNSOO!” Bright lights flashed behind the man at the end of his introduction, and 5 jets of water shot into the air behind him.

Mira’s blood began to pulse at the sight of the water, and her eyes widened with alarm. She watched as a man stepped onto the stage dressed in an expensive suit and slicked back hair. He flashed the crowd a charming smile, and the girls surrounding them immediately exploded into thousands of piercing screams.

Mira flinched at the ear shattering sound, and tried to concentrate her gaze on the man in front of her. If there was a word to describe how she was feeling at the moment, it would be strange. She felt the connection there, the throbbing pulse that felt relatively similar to the one she had felt with Hwajae. The weird thing was that it felt faded, as if it was there, yet not actually there. If the man in front of her really was the Ultimate of water, she should have felt a strong connection with their close proximity. Yet, if he was a normal human she would feel nothing at all.

“Well?” Haiku asked as he nudged her gently in the ribs.

She swatted him away without words and burrowed her eyebrows with confusion. What she felt was similar to the connection that had been established with the man they had met earlier that day, Minhwa, yet it was not the same.

She glanced down at Hwajae who seemed entranced by the water tricks the “ultimate” was now performing on stage. At this current point in the performance, large orbs of water took on the shape of horses and seemed to practically gallop through the air. He caught her gaze and glanced up at her with wide eyes full of excitement. “Isn’t he amazing? I wish I could control my fire like that!”

Before Mira could respond otherwise, Hwajae turned his attention back to the stage before them. She felt her heart warm at his excited expression - she’d let him have his fun for now.

Quicker than she, and all the other women in the audience, would have liked, the show soon came to a close. Mira chewed on her bottom lip in frustration as the ultimate on stage took his final bows. Why couldn’t she tell if he was the real thing?

She glanced up at him for a final time, and was taken aback to see that he too had his eyes locked on her. Mira felt an uneasy chill when the corner of his lip slid upwards into a small smirk before he broke their gaze.

“Thank you ladies and gentlemen, and goodnight!”

The stadium lights flashed back on overhead, and the groans and whines of the audience at the conclusion of the show could be heard all around.

“Did you get anything?” Suho asked Mira quietly as the people around them began to climb out of their seats to exit the stadium.

His hopeful expression fell when Mira shook her head, and he let out a quiet sigh. “It’s ok, good work Mira. We’ll just have to figure out what to do next.”

“For now let’s just focus on getting out of this hot pit of hell,” Kyungsoo grumbled as he yanked Hwajae to his side to prevent him from getting swallowed up in the crowd.

“Did you see the security they had in there?” Jongin let out a low whistle once they reached the less crowded lobby. “They definitely weren’t joking around.”

Baekhyun nodded in agreement. “They had guards planted not even five feet away from each other. I counted almost 30 of them surrounding the base of the stage alone.”

“Maybe they have some scary groupies,” Chanyeol shrugged nonchalantly. “Aren’t Ultimates supposed to be the nation’s treasure? I highly doubt they would let one go unprotected.”

“If it came down to it, wouldn’t the Ultimate’s powers be better than any number of security guards?” Sehun pointed out. “If I only had Mira as my bodyguard I’d feel safe for life!”

“Speaking of security guards…” Jongin nodded towards a cluster of ten men dressed in all black that were heading their way.

“They don’t look like they want a friendly chat,” Sehun murmured under his breath as he observed their tensed expressions. His grip tightened

“They’re not the only ones,” Baekhyun pitched in as he flicked his head towards the men who were attempting to secretly circle on the level overhead.

“Mira?” Suho glanced at the girl in question and she promptly closed her eyes in concentration.

“About 50 bodies,” Mira answered. The others tensed at her wor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter