Book 1: Two

Ultimate Balance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Woah, this really is one scary island,” Sehun thought aloud as he stared up at the giant trees that loomed far overhead. A light breeze tousled his hair, and although it would have normally felt nice, it simply sent chills down his spine. He silently stepped closer to Jongin to feel a little safer as he muttered under his breath, “I hope we get out of this place as soon as possible.”

“She is the Ultimate of darkness after all, is she not?” Jongin shrugged as he rolled up his sleeves, completely oblivious to the fear Sehun was feeling. A bright grin spread across his face as he slung a bag over his shoulder. “I’m getting kind of excited to see how strong she is. Maybe she’ll actually be a decent fight.”

“We’re not here to fight, Jongin,” Kyungsoo rolled his eyes as he smacked the other on the back of his head. “We’re here to explain why we need her help. And if you did get in a fight, I’m sorry to say but you would probably die within a few seconds. You heard what Elder Byun said, this Mira girl is no joke.”

“Yeah, but I’m no joke either,” Jongin grinned proudly as he pointed his thumb in his own direction.

“Now that’s a joke,” Chanyeol scoffed, laughing loudly as he dodged Jongin’s sudden punch.

“How long do you think this mission will take?” Baekhyun asked as he shielded his eyes from the blazing sun that somehow managed to shine through the gaps of the trees.

“Recruiting Mira or saving the world?” Jongin asked with a cocked eyebrow.

“Mira,” Baekhyun answered as he kicked the dirt at his feet.

“We’ll have her in our arms and be sailing to the next Ultimate by the time the sun sets,” Jongin grinned confidently.

“You saying that just makes my confidence sink even lower,” Chanyeol sighed as he adjusted the straps of the sack on his back.

“Will you guys shut up?” Kyungsoo narrowed his eyes, darting them back and forth between them and the greenery. “If you make so much noise she’s going to see us as a threat.” He stepped forward, but suddenly froze, attracting the attention of the other 5 boys.

“What’s wrong Kyung— woah!” Sehun cried out in surprise when Chanyeol suddenly drew out one of his hand knives. He threw it sharply into the bushes without a second of pause, and all eyes followed the knife as it cut across the air. There was a quiet thud followed by a loud yelp of pain.

“What the hell is this?” Chanyeol asked with a raised eyebrow as he examined the small creature that was pinned to the tree. He crouched down in front of the twitching creature and eyed it from head to toe, “A fairy?”

“Stop! Get away from me!” Haiku cried as he attempted to free himself from the knife that pinned his wing. His face scrunched up in pain at the action, and his arms fell limply to his side with defeat.

“Yah, Chanyeol, congratulations, you hurt a fairy,” Jongin rolled his eyes.

“I thought it was something dangerous!” Chanyeol protested as he examined the fairy with guilt. He wrapped his hand around the stock of the knife uneasily, but immediately released it, “Should I pull out the knife?”

“Wouldn’t that just hurt him more?” Sehun frowned, scrunching up his face as if it was his wing that was pinned to the tree.

“Hey, calm down, okay? We’re just trying to help you,” Baekhyun grumbled in annoyance. When his intent obviously wasn’t getting across, he slowly tried to free the fairy from his captivity. “I’ll pull it out on three, okay? One… two… three!”

Haiku let out a loud scream of pain once his wing was set free from the knife, and he dropped down into Baekhyun’s outstretched palm.

“L-Let go of me!” Haiku cringed as he attempted to fly out of Baekhyun’s hand. He fluttered his one healthy wing in vain, and crumpled down to the floor after only a few inches of distance.

 

“Goddammit Chanyeol, we set one foot on this island and you’ve already gone and made some trouble,” Kyungsoo sighed as he crouched down in front of the fairy. “We’ll try to fix your wing, okay?”

“M-Mira! Mira!” Haiku cried loudly as he tried to cower away from the strangers that stood before him.

“Mira? You know who Mira is?” Jongin asked, his ears perking up at the familiar name. He crouched down in front of the fairy and prodded him gently with a finger, “Can you lead us to her?”

The fairy ignored his words and continued to cry for Mira as he clutched his wing in pain.

Jongin opened his mouth to speak once more, but froze when a sudden shock ran down his spine. A sudden coldness seeped through his body, forcing goosebumps to appear on his skin.

“Did you… did you guys feel that too?” Sehun asked quietly after they had all fallen into silence.

“Yeah,” Jongin nodded, his hand slowly moving to his gun holster. His eyes darted around to detect any sudden movements from the trees that had the possibility of being dangerous. He his suddenly dry lips, waiting in anticipation for anything, if there was anything, to emerge into the clearing.

“Step away from him.”

Their heads darted up in surprise from the sudden unfamiliar voice, and they looked around to find the source. The forest remained as it had a few minutes ago, with no new signs of life appearing in front of them. Sehun’s palms began to sweat nervously at the unknown that stood beyond the trees, and he took a deep gulp of air to calm himself down. It wasn’t like the Ultimate was going to kill them or something, right?

“Step away from him if you value your life.”

Or maybe she was.

The snap of a branch sounded, and Chanyeol immediately snapped out his dual knives to prepare for any danger that might step out from beyond the greenery. “Kyungsoo… do you think that’s-”

Mira stepped out from behind a tree to be visible to the strangers in front of her. The wind whipped her long black hair behind her, causing her to look twice as deadly as she really was. A dark expression captured her face as she stared down at the men who had harmed Haiku. She automatically bit back a growl at the sight of them – humans. An almost visible darkness began to seep from her body, slowly claiming the plants around her as victim.

“H-Hyung,” Sehun whispered, his jaw dropping open in shock as he watched the flowers and trees closest to her immediately begin to wilt and decay.

“Leave,” Mira let out a low growl as she took a step forward, warning them that she would not hesitate to attack.

“Mi-Mira, control yourself,” Haiku whispered, his eyes widening as the flowers around him lost their color.

Mira clenched down on her fist and looked away. “Sorry,” she muttered, stopping her magic from seeping out any further. Without sparing the boys a second look, she knelt down to examine Haiku’s condition. Her eyes widened at the sight of the tattered state of his wing, and she felt her anger begin to pulse through her body once more.

“You hurt Haiku,” Mira hissed, her deathly air beginning to pulse wildly once more. She slowly climbed to her feet, turning

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter