Book 2: Three

Ultimate Balance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Should we say something?” Sehun whispered in a low voice as he nudged Baekhyun lightly in the ribs. “She’s scaring me.”

“She knows what she’s doing,” Baekhyun responded in an equally quiet voice. He glanced at Mira once more before murmuring, “At least I hope she does.”

“It’s been a couple of hours,” Chanyeol nodded his head as he folded his arm. “She hasn’t moved for a couple of hours.

“What if she’s dead?” Sehun asked. He yelped when Baekhyun smacked him on the back of his head.

The three of them were whispering amongst themselves as they watched over Mira who had been sitting on the ground. She had been as still as a rock for a couple of hours now, and it befuddled them all on how she was capable of doing so. She had gotten up at the crack of dawn, and had settled herself on the ground a few yards away from their camp to start her silent search for the Ultimate.

“Can you stop staring at her like she’s a circus show?” Haiku sighed as he flew over to the group of gawking boys. “She can feel it you know, and you’re affecting her concentration.”

“But what is she doing?” Sehun protested as he gestured towards her. “How can she just… sit there?”

“All you need to know is that she’s doing all the work right now, so you can just sit your useless down and wait for her,” Haiku hissed with annoyance. “She’s having a hard enough time without you guys yapping over here.”

“Don’t scold them Haiku,” Mira spoke up.

They all looked over at the girl who was climbing to her feet. She stretched her arms over her head, and stumbled a few feet forward, her legs a bit sore after being folded for the past few hours.

“How did it go?” Jongin asked curiously. “Did you find him?”

Mira shook her head. “He’s not here.”

“Are you sure?” Baekhyun asked with furrowed eyebrows.

“Are you questioning my ability?” Mira asked with raised eyebrows.

“Well it’s not like we have experience with whatever voodoo you’re doing,” he argued.

Mira paused. “True.”

“But take my word for it,” Mira continued as she ran her hand through her hair with frustration. “He’s not here. I’ve searched the entire area three times over.”

A silence captured the group as they processed her words.

“So what do we do next?” Sehun asked after the brief pause of silence.

“What can we do?” Suho shrugged. “We just have to keep looking.” He glanced over at Kyungsoo who was already looking the map over in his hands. “What do you think, Kyungsoo?”

“We should head east,” Kyungsoo nodded. “The north is covered with mountains, and the west and south are highly populated by cities. The east is mainly a non-populated area with a lot of farmland and isolation.”

Mira nodded in agreement. After causing as much harm as he did, the only place he’d want to go is somewhere he could be alone. She knew well enough what the Ultimate must have been going through, and she wanted nothing more than to find him as soon as possible.

“Well, it looks like were packing our bags and getting a move on again,” Jongin nodded as he stretched his arms above his head.

“If anything, we could always shado-“ Sehun began to suggest.

“Not a chance in hell,” Kyungsoo shot him a dirty look.

 

 

***

 

Several days passed on, and they had received not a single clue as to where the Ultimate was located. The group was becoming tired and impatient, and they had to do everything they could to prevent themselves from becoming completely discouraged.

“Why don’t we do something other than just searching?” Sehun suggested with a bright smile on his face. He hoped that perhaps a small distraction would allow them to resume their previous amount of energy and hope.

“We’re here to find the Ultimates, not for vacation,” Jongin simply responded in a gruff tone, immediately shooting down his suggestion.

Mira felt bad when she saw Sehun’s crestfallen expression, but she had to agree with Jongin’s words. Although they were said a bit harsher than necessary, the group certainly had no time to stray away from their main journey.

She wanted to get this job done as quickly as possible and return to her island of safety. Although nothing had happened during the week she had journeyed with the boys, she knew that the peace wouldn’t be continuing on for much longer. Her powers were bound to spark eventually, and she had to be completely prepared for when it happened.

“There’s a town close by,” Kyungsoo spoke up, eyeing the youngest after he started scuffing his feet against the ground. “We can grab a quick meal there.”

Sehun eye’s brightened at Kyungsoo’s suggestion, and he practically beamed at the elder. “Okay!”

Suho chuckled under his breath and the younger’s childishness and lightly disheveled his hair. “Kyungsoo’s doing you a favor, so don’t complain in the future.”

“I never complain,” Sehun piped back innocently. He grinned happily and spun around to face Mira. “Aren’t you excited to see more people again?”

Mira grimaced at his happy tone and responded in her best effort to seem eager, “Yeah. Excited.”

Haiku sniggered quietly from his spot inside Mira’s front pocket, and she tapped his head with a finger and gave him a warning glance.

Haiku shrugged and swatted her hand away. “I don’t know how he can be so excited to see people he doesn’t even know.”

“Let him be,” Mira responded. “They’ve lived a different life from us. They’re accustomed to being surrounded by others.”

Haiku scrunched up his face at her words and tossed them a pitiful look. “I would kill myself if I led that kind of life.”

“Nothing’s stopping you,” Sehun piped up as he glanced from over his shoulder.

Haiku responded by flipping him off.

Before Sehun could snap back at the fairy, Suho quick

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter