Nine

Beneath
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

NINE

 

 

“What would it take for you to be into me?”

 

“Nothing,” she shut her eyes tight. Why does her house felt so miles away? Not only this small space but being so close  to him was making her feel claustrophobic. Her heart was still on overdrive by the flow of their conversation. In reality, she didn’t know how this day would end. She was also aware how nervous she was with the thought that he might really take her challenge and just go to Dongdaemon. In truth, his presence scared her—his nearness was a threat because she knew that she was too near to crumbling. Lifting her chin up, she muttered stubbornly, “I’m not in the market in case you haven’t noticed.”

 

“Are you dating someone?”

 

Seohyun was once again silenced not so much by that question but by the solemn way he asked it. “I will not answer that,” she found herself saying. Why does this person just easily bring out that part of her?

 

“It must be a ‘yes’.”

 

His voice remained somber and it made her want to just shout out a ‘no’ but she held it in because she has decided. She decided long ago not to get involved with anyone— certainly not his type.

 

“Why don’t you want to tell me? Is he famous too?”

 

By the corner of her eyes, she watched him drive smoothly but his hands seemed to grip the wheel harder as visible lines of veins webbed under his skin. He seemed tensed. She was definitely tensed.

 

 “Is he married?”

 

The word rang in her ears. She turned to him abruptly teeth clenched, heart pounding desperately inside her she wanted to scream. Seohyun didn’t realize he would have that kind of thought about her. One time, he took her for a ; this time, he thought she’s someone’s mistress? Now, she was really doubting his mental state.

 

“Do I look like I’m that kind of woman to you? You approached me casually like I was a very easy prey, someone who’d fall in your arms the moment you snap your fingers. Do I seem to you like someone who’d break a marriage for something?”

 

Her heart hammered so loud she could almost hear it. Her nostrils obviously flaring and she felt her blood rising in her head. Seriously, nobody ever made her this angry until now. With all the emotions rushing all over her, she noticed the car swerved to the roadside. She huffed, “Why did we stop?”

 

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to.” Yonghwa finally turned to her after killing the engine. She could see the sincerity on those eyes staring back at her like a guilty puppy. Running a hand through his hair, he continued, “It was probably one of the lamest reasons I could come up with. If you’re not into me its fine and thank you for being honest.”

 

Seohyun felt like sinking deeper on her seat. She took a deep breath before replying almost in a whisper, “Just drive me home…”

 

“Please, the last thing I want is for you to be this angry at me. I’m sorry. I’m really sorry.”

 

Opening her eyes once again, she swallowed by the way he looked at her. She shook her head, “Please?”

 

“Please…” he pleaded again despite the sarcasm in her voice, “Baby—Seohyun-ssi, really I’m sorry for thinking that way. Really I am. I don’t know! !”

 

Seohyun’s eyes widened again when he cursed but she couldn’t pull her eyes off him.

 

“I’m stupid around you. I say stuff I shouldn’t be saying. You make me stop thinking properly. Your nearness excites me and makes me dumb. I become clumsy and careless whenever you’re around. I am not like this…. hell, I am not like this.”

 

His hands ran on his face and she closed her eyes feeling the different beats of her heart. If he wasn’t like that, she wasn’t like this either. Softly, she found her words, “Okay… okay, Oppa. Let’s—Let’s just stop this.”

 

“Stop this?” Yonghwa turned to her even more confused.

 

“Drop this subject,” she finally looked at him with a small smile reaching out to him. Touch him somewhere to assure him and herself. Her hand awkwardly dropped on her arm, “Just drive, okay?”

 

“I’m sorry,” his big eyes drooped like that of a guilty puppy. Adorable.

 

She laughed, “The next time you say those sorts of things to me I will seriously punch you in the face.”

 

Finally, Yonghwa chuckled and his hand dropped on top of hers, “Thanks… I hope this won’t affect us… whatever we are to each other right now. I’m really sorry.”

 

Seohyun nodded pulling her hand back. Surprisingly, she felt lighter and calmer.  Finally, the car went back to life and she took a quick glance at him beside her. There was this little smile on his lips as he directed the car back to road. Settling comfortably on her seat, she wondered what he was thinking this time. Was he feeling lighter too?

 

“Am I forgiven?”

 

Yonghwa met her gaze for a moment. She nodded then sighed, “As long as you stop hitting on me.”
 

He laughed at last, “That’s going to be tough but I’ll do anything for you.” She just shook her head mirroring that smile on his face. “But I can still flirt with you, right?”

 

“What?” She laughed softly then sighed. He's obviously helpless.

 

~~~

 

“How was the date?” Taeyeon slumped on the sofa five hours later watching Seohyun slipped on her boots. She was studying her friend carefully, especially the outfit she chose tonight—white top with black print of a bleeding heart, a pair of skinny jeans and those boots with deadly heels. She had her hair tied up in a ponytail with the visible strands curled around creating volume. Her makeup, though subtle, highlighted her smoky eyes. “And what’s up with the rocker look tonight? Is this like Codename Blue inspired or something?”

 

Seohyun tilted her head towards her gaping blankly, “Unnie, really.”

 

Taeyeon laughed, held both hands up and shook her head, “Okay, no time to change, hon, just teasing. So what happened to the date?”

 

“No date happened,” Seohyun shook her head as she put on those silver hoops on her ears.

 

“Seriously? Argh, I was actually waiting for that ‘Breaking News’ part,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter