Forty Eight

Beneath
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

FORTY EIGHT

 

 

Seohyun only realized that she had been biting her thumb when it started to hurt. She couldn’t sleep and when she finished one movie, she wanted to watch another one with a tub of chocolate ice cream.

 

And she wanted waffles.

 

She stood to get a blanket from her room only to stop midway when she forgot what she was going to do because she had been thinking. As if in a snap, she realized the possibility. She grabbed her phone instead and it took a couple of missed calls before the receiver picked up her call, “Were you sleeping?”

 

“Are you even aware of the time?”

 

“I’m sorry calling you this late…” she stared at the clock on the living room wall. It was seriously so past her bedtime.

 

“What is it? What’s wrong?”

 

“I think I’m p-pregnant,” she almost choked on the last word.

 

“What? Oh my god! You’re what?! Okay, okay… I’m going there so don’t panic… don’t do anything stupid…”

 

She furrowed her brows, she didn’t sound panicky, not at all. It was obvious that her unnie just woke up, so she ignored her outburst and simply replied, “Okay… can you buy me test kit or something like that on your way here?”

 

There was silence on the other line before Seohyun heard a deep breathy exhale, “Wow… this is really happening…”

 

“Are you awake now?” Seohyun giggled.

 

“Yeah, totally…” Taeyeon quipped in sarcasm then asked, “What makes you think that you are?”

 

“I missed my period more than two months now… and my body is not normal, actually, everything doesn’t feel normal anymore…” she sat on the sofa and put a hand on her stomach. In truth, she didn’t know how she would deal with it if she was really pregnant. It was scary and wonderful; exhilarating and nerve-wracking. She sighed, “Unnie… this is really… just come here. I can’t even say it.”

 

“Wait, but wait… you and Yonghwa… you just got back together right? You broke up what? Four months?”

 

“Something happened okay? Some things… I mean.” Seohyun almost mumbled to herself because she was so sure she had gotten pregnant during their last encounter where he sneaked into her house. After that, she was careful not to take any pills and provided for the condoms whenever he would come.

 

She sighed some more when she remembered how he would complain that he hated wearing that stuff but she couldn’t really afford to be careless. The thought had been looming in her mind but she was just too scared to confirm, until this time.

 

“You were not together but he got you pregnant? Now that’s pretty interesting…”

 

“He might have,” Seohyun grumbled at her Unnie’s obvious mockery, “We’ll only know once you get here…”

 

“Okay, I’m on my way out. Seriously, Hyunie, why do you have to figure that out when majority of Koreans are sleeping?”

 

“I don’t know…” she shrugged but her heart was beating fast especially when she heard her Unnie’s door closing in the background. Soon she would be there and they would both find out if she really was with a child. Then she whispered thoughtfully, “A baby might be growing inside me right this moment, oh my god…”

 

“It’s gonna get even weirder than that, huh…”

 

A smile escaped her lips. Yes, weirder than weird could ever get.

 

~~~

 

Yonghwa just finished another recording session with the boys. He checked his phone as they were getting ready to leave but there was still no message from her. A few hours ago, he checked in on her but when she didn’t answer, he just decided to send her a message that she ignored again. He repeatedly told himself that Seohyun was in a shoot because she would usually ignore her phone during those times. The dark thoughts were back again and he felt that he was traumatized the last time she did that to him.

 

If Seohyun could handle another break up, then he couldn’t and he wouldn’t.

 

It was too late to go to her apartment and he was also tired and beaten so he decided for a surprise visit some time during the week. He would get the feel of things first by not initiating calls or going unannounced to her place. Then if Seohyun didn’t do anything to reach out, it would be the only time he would make a move.

 

Yonghwa sent a last message he knew she would read the next day.

 

~~~

 

“Thinking of you…”

 

Seohyun sighed for the hundredth time when she remembered the message. So he was still awake? Thankfully, he didn’t call or she would just fight with herself not to answer. Yonghwa might be at work and she could only hope he won’t think of another surprise visit. She stared at the little object in her hand and sighed yet again.

 

The nervousness just faded.

 

She was not feeling anything at all.

 

Seohyun stood and pushed the door open to see Taeyeon playing with her fingers as she sat at the edge of her bed. Her Unnie looked up to her with the same expectant look so she pushed her hand forward but Taeyeon gave her a grim expression.

 

“I’m not touching that…” she retorted that Seohyun withdrew her hand and sat next to her, “Are you?”

 

Seohyun took a big gulp of air and murmured as she released them out again, “I am…”

 

A long suffering silence took over before Taeyeon looked over her shoulder, “We have to go to your doctor first thing tomorrow.”

 

She made a little sound of agreement as her back fell on the bed and her hands automatically fell on her stomach. A baby… her baby— their baby.

 

Then she remembered her mother. She couldn’t help it. She knew her mother never wanted her in the first place. A small drop of tear fell on her cheek. Not this baby. She wanted this more than she could even realize. The baby was because of love. Seohyun remembered how Yonghwa assured her that she will never be like her mother and this would be the best way to prove it. Her baby will grow up with all the love it could ever receive— or overflowing with it.

 

Her angel living inside her.

 

“Don’t give me the gory details but you said you suspect to be two months pregnant…”

 

Taeyeon was now looking down on her with interest but she only noticed when she heard her voice. She kept her eyes closed as she told her everything.

 

Except the gory details.

 

“Woah, you didn’t waste any time…”

 

“Uh-huh…” Seohyun mumbled. Finally, she was wrapped in silence and peace and an amazing feeling.

 

Seohyun fell asleep with that little smile on her lips and tiny droplets of tears on her eyes.

 

~~~

 

After the confirmation they got from her doctor, Taeyeon stayed with her for the rest of the day as she went about with her usual schedules and appointments. Yonghwa didn’t call. The last message she got from him was the night before. It was unusual alright but it gave her an excuse not to talk to him but she missed him especially now.

 

“Umma’s being cruel again…”

 

For the past hours, too, she realized that she had been talking to the littl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter