Sixteen

Beneath
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

SIXTEEN

 

“So, are you two a couple now?” Taeyeon asked without taking her eyes off the big pile of pictures spread on her work table. Seohyun’s portfolio needed to be updated for a client and the agency had forwarded her the pictures they initially chose for her and Taeyeon to sort and finalize.

 

“No...” Seohyun shrugged, holding one picture and trying to recall what month it was taken, “Not officially anyway. I think I like this.”

 

“Then why not make it official?” Taeyeon grabbed the one she was holding and studied it carefully, “Not. We have enough high fashion on the pile. How about this one?”

 

“Isn’t this too bare?” She looked at the picture her unnie held up. “I don’t know. It’s just that—“

 

“You’re not sure about him again? That reason is getting too old, you know?” Taeyeon rolled her eyes and put the picture on her right. “Have you seen the client’s past campaigns? I think they are leaning towards natural beauty. I assume you two kissed, at least.”

 

Seohyun momentarily zoned out until she felt a snap of fingers in front of her so she gave her unnie a toothy grin and jokingly opened her fingers as if counting. Taeyeon laughed but she just rolled her eyes and grabbed some more pictures.

 

“What? You kissed but you're not a couple?”

 

“Yet,” she corrected.

 

“Ya, your man needs reassurance too. Keeping your relationship open is like giving him free rein. He can do the hell he pleases because you are not giving him a reason to stick it out on you.” Taeyeon scolded her with her eyes and that snappy tone, “Look, it cannot be denied that Yonghwa is good looking, he's surrounded with pretty women most of the time. Stop playing hard to get before he gives up on you.”

 

That did the trick for Seohyun. Her unnie was right on all accounts. In her defense though, she just doesn’t want to dive into something just because she’s attracted to Yonghwa. She sighed shaking her head and carelessly shuffled the pictures in front of her. Serious thoughts aside, she liked the thought of Yonghwa as her man.

 

“Listen to Unnie...” Taeyeon casually said again without even looking at her, “Then start taking birth control pills like a good girl.”

 

Her eyes widened in disbelief and surely she was blushing so she grumbled, “Unnie!!!”

 

“What? I’m serious,” the older girls fixed her a hard look and continued, “Men like him have healthy ual appetite. Might as well be prepared.”

 

She clicked her tongue thinking her unnie was just making fun of her again so she shook her head and replied almost in a whisper, “I don't think that's necessary.”

 

“If you think unplanned pregnancy is cool then be my guest.”

 

Once again, Seohyun looked at her but Taeyeon seemed to be lost in their little task. She shut her eyes tight when the sudden heat rushed through her. Considering their little incidents, Seohyun could tell that he’s a passionate lover. She swallowed hard, it was getting hotter too. Without meaning to, she mumbled her thoughts out loud, “Do I really have to?”

 

“Let me emphasize the word unplanned.”

 

~~~

 

Saturday came and it would have been an ordinary day for Seohyun if not for her being on the same bar she had been more than a month ago. Every time Seohyun finishes early on a weekend, she would usually spend most of her time in a bubble bath with a good book and a few scented candles. This time she was sitting all alone in a half-crowded bar and restaurant. Yonghwa sent her a message minutes ago checking where she was but she lied that she was still in her agency but she had been there for almost an hour. She didn’t really mind the wait since she actually enjoys the irony of being surrounded with so many people yet remaining alone.

 

Distracting herself by checking the latest fashion and makeup trends on her phone, she started scribbling on her journal possible topics she could write for her articles for the magazines she contributes in. After a short while, her attention wandered away from her notes and aimlessly scanned the nameless faces around her. A familiar smile welcomed her when her eyes drifted towards the bar and a hot sensation crept through her body as she smiled back.

 

Yonghwa was sitting on one of the stools at the main counter with his back leaning on the bar facing the booths. He was about five tables away from her but she knew that his eyes were focused solely on her.   He was obviously just watching her from the distance and when a cold wind settled on her bare thighs, she had this little naughty idea. Seohyun crossed her legs that the hem of her white dress hitched higher on her knees exposing almost everything except her underwear. A wider smile spread on her lips when Yonghwa bit his lower lip like he was scrutinizing her effort to flaunt her skin in front of him. Then, she leaned forward resting her arms on the table that one strap of her dress fell halfway off her shoulder. Smiling the sweetest she got, she bit the insides of her cheeks seeing how Yonghwa slightly shuffled in his seat as if adjusting his legs.

 

Playfully, she tucked some strands of hair behind her ear then lifted her gaze to him and bit her bottom lips. Seohyun lifted one arm bracing an elbow on the table and raised her index finger. Slowly, she curled her finger towards herself all the while watching him with serious expression. However, Yonghwa just took a quick swig from his beer glass then continued to study her from across the distance. Seohyun sighed and shook her head. Batting her lashes, she finally uncrossed her legs, adjusted her dress and sat up straight again the way they taught her in etiquette class.

 

However, her silent audience was disgruntled by the abrupt end of her display that he shook his head shoving his hands in his pockets. After a few seconds of silent conversation, Yonghwa finally slipped off his seat and moved fluidly towards her. Seohyun giggled when he stood in front of her without saying anything but his eyes were all over her. She, too, studied his all-too-familiar rocker look with that charcoal gray collarless jacket over a white shirt and loose fitting denims. She propped one elbow on the table and rested her chin on her hand as she hitched her brows at him in quiet inquiry yet her lips twitched in a suppressed grin.

 

At last, Yonghwa cleared his throat, “Hi… is this seat taken?”

 

“There are other empty tables,” she simply shrugged, rolling her straw on her fingers.

 

Acting as if he was looking around, Yonghwa asked coolly, “Where?”

 

“Everywhere.”

 

“I see only one.”

 

She rolled her eyes and clicked her tongue, “Just seat, mister.”

 

Pulling the chair closest to hers, he took off his playful mask and asked Seohyun, “How long have you been waiting?”

 

She scoffed and replied nonchalantly, “I wasn’t waiting.”

 

“Really now, Seohyun-ssi,” he laughed but gently touched her arm, “Alright. Glad to see you here, then.”<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter