Final

Reciprocation

 

 

Jongin looked to the girl soundly sleeping in his arms. Miyoung cried until she fell unconscious and Jongin could not stomach leaving her alone so he stayed sitting with her on the couch in her room. The only girl he’s ever paid attention to was finally in his arms but it didn’t feel right at all. She was there only because he could give her comfort after the guy she liked broke her heart.

 

Jongin knew this would happen someday, especially with the deal he had with Sehun but everything did not go according to plan. Why did Sehun break up with Miyoung when Jongin hadn’t upheld his end of the deal? Did something happen that he doesn’t know about? More importantly, why was he thinking about another girl when the one he’s always wanted is right there in his arms?

 

A vibrating in his shirt pocket interrupted his thoughts. Jongin took his phone out to see Sehun’s name flashing across the screen. He gently pulled away from Miyoung and went outside to take the call. Thankfully, Miyoung lived with Suho’s family. Suho’s parents were away on vacation at the moment, while Suho chose to sleep at KYUNGSOO’s house to give Miyoung and Jongin some space.

 

“Hello?” his voice cracked from underuse.

 

“I’m sorry,” came Sehun’s reply.

 

“What? I should be the one saying that for what I did to you.”

 

“No, it’s my fault that you did it. And I’m also sorry for what I tried to make you do to Jiel. Take care of Miyoung. She’s a nice girl and she deserves to be loved by someone,” Sehun said softly.

 

“Why are you doing this now Sehun?” Jongin asked frustrated.

 

“Because I might not have a chance to do it ever again.”

 

“What are you talking about?” Jongin was confused.

 

“I’m going to be transferring soon and I decided to stop attending school until I get my transfer papers sorted out. Today was our last day seeing each other. Thanks for everything Jongin, thanks for being my friend,” Sehun had a sad tone in his voice. “Oh, and you don’t have to worry about our deal anymore. In fact, please forget I ever asked you to do something so shameful. Goodbye Jongin, be happy with Miyoung. You deserve it.”

 

Before Jongin could say anything, Sehun already hung up on his end. Jongin sighed heavily and went back to Miyoung’s side.

 

The next day, true to his word, Jongin did not see Sehun around school. However, he was unaware that another person was nowhere to be seen. A person he completely forgot about while he was busy watching over and spending time with Miyoung.

 

“Hyung, have you seen Jiel anywhere?” Jongin went to Kyungsoo one day when he was finally reminded of her and was unable to find her.

 

Kyungsoo furrowed his eyebrows and answered, “Didn’t you hear that she transferred?”

 

“Huh? Since when?” Jongin was surprised.

 

“I think it’s been a month already.”

 

“Why did she transfer?” Jongin asked, regretting that he wasn’t able to say goodbye. Even though he had wrong intentions trying to get close to Jiel, overtime Jongin came to see her as a friend. A friend he was planning on hurting and being apologetic to for the rest of his life.

 

“I don’t really know. She just suddenly disappeared,” Kyungsoo said sadly.

 

“Jongin!” Miyoung came from behind and hugged him, causing him to smile wide and forget the sadness he was feeling after being reminded of Jiel. She also said hi to Kyungsoo when she saw him.

 

“Oh hey Miyoung, how have you been?” Kyungsoo asked her.

 

“Great!” she said excitedly while clinging on to Jongin’s back.

 

“I can tell,” Kyungsoo chuckled causing Jongin’s cheeks to redden.

 

“Anyway, Miyoung and I are going now. Thanks hyung,” Jongin left before Kyungsoo could .

 

“Jongin, where are we going today?” Miyoung asked still holding onto him from behind.

 

Jongin took hold of her legs and gave her a proper piggyback then asked, “Where do you want to go?”

 

“I don’t care as long as you’re with me,” Miyoung tightened her hold around his shoulders.

 

“Okay, why don’t we go eat ice cream?”

 

“Sure,” Miyoung readily agreed. “Jongin?” she added with a softer tone.

 

“Hmm,” Jongin looked back at her with a smile on his face.

 

“I’m sorry I never paid attention to you. If I did, I wouldn’t have gotten hurt desperately trying to get Sehun to like me.”

 

“Don’t worry about it. That’s already in the past, what matters is that we’re together now,” Jongin told her soothingly while tightening his hold on her as if telling her that he wouldn’t ever let her go.

 

“I’m glad we got together,” Miyoung happily whispered in his ear.

 

“Me too.”

 

~~~*~~~

 

A loud knock on the door was followed by a very excited, “Please get that!”

 

Jongin burst out in a light-hearted chuckle after hearing his girlfriend shout from the other side. Not long after, Suho opened the door to let him in.

 

“I’m guessing Miyoung is not ready yet?” Jongin said in a joking manner.

 

“Obviously. I’m sure you heard her,” Suho replied. “Why does she sound so excited anyway?” he added.

 

“Of course it’s because she gets to spend a day with her boyfriend,” Jongin smiled at Suho cheekily.

 

Unfortunately for him, his comment earned him a smack on the arm. “Quit making me out to be a clingy, desperate girlfriend,” Miyoung told Jongin then turned to Suho to say, “If you must know, I’m excited because I haven’t seen Jongin because school has been so busy. And we’re going biking at the park so it will be a good way to relieve some stress.”

 

“What stress are you talking about,” Suho said in disbelief.

 

“Of course I meant having to live with someone as annoying as you,” Miyoung retorted.

 

“Okay I get it,” Suho tried to appease her after his offensive comment. “Off you two go, and don’t forget about the reunion tonight.”

 

“Don’t worry oppa, we’ll be home in time.”

 

“Bye hyung, see you later,” Jongin waved with one hand while the other was already holding onto Miyoung’s hand.

 

A few hours have passed with Jongin and Miyoung enjoying their time and laughing along while riding side by side.

 

“Young-ah, should we go get something to eat?” Jongin asked while they were resting underneath an elegant-looking gazebo located in the very center of the park.

 

“Sure,” she answered while fanning herself.

 

Seeing this, Jongin also started fanning her with his hands. After seeing a bead of sweat run down her forehead, he searched his pockets for a handkerchief. Finding one, he started dabbing at her forehead, the sides of her face, and the back of her neck. Before he could put his handkerchief away, Miyoung stole the cloth and looked for a side that wasn’t damp from her sweat. Successfully finding a dry spot, she used that side to wipe away Jongin’s sweat with a smile on her face. When she was done, Jongin took the cloth away from her and said, “Stay here while I go get the food, okay?”

 

“Are you sure? We can go together,” Miyoung protested.

 

“No, it’s alright. Just rest here and I’ll go. It won’t take long,” Jongin insisted.

 

“Okay, if you say so,” she agreed.

 

Jongin softly smiled at her and kissed the top of her head before running off to go get food.

 

It’s been a few minutes and Miyoung was still waiting. During that time, she was busily checking on her phone that she didn’t notice a guy walking in and observing the gazebo. She only became aware when she looked up and was surprised, “Sehun?” She stood up from the bench she was sitting on.

 

The guy squinted his eyes in confusion but when he realized who was in front of him, his eyes widened in recognition. “Miyoung? It’s been a while,” he gave her a small smile.

 

“It has. Two years to be exact,” she felt a bit awkward around him since the last time they saw each other was when he broke up with her.

 

“That’s right, time really does fly by,” unlike her he was acting comfortably, not at all bothered with their past. “So how have you been?”

 

“I’ve been great. Jongin and I are dating now. It will be our two-year anniversary soon,” she lit up as soon as she mentioned Jongin.

 

“That’s good. You seem really happy.”

 

“I am,” she kept her words short.

 

Sensing the tension coming from her, Sehun was about to bid her goodbye when someone stopped him with, “Aren’t you going to say hi to me?” causing him to freeze on the spot.

 

Sehun turned around to the source and found Jongin with a big smile on his face. Sehun was about to bow his head in greeting but Jongin interrupted him. “Ey, don’t be so formal. We’re friends aren’t we?”

 

“Of course,” Sehun replied with a mischievous smirk then they both suddenly broke out in laughter, causing Miyoung to look at them incredulously.

 

“It’s been so long since you showed your face,” Jongin was the first to calm down.

 

“So I’ve heard,” Sehun shot a look toward Miyoung when he said those words.

 

“So are you going to the school reunion tonight? I know you didn’t graduate from there, but you must have received an invitation.”

 

“Uh, actually no. Even if I did, I would be too busy to attend. I’m getting married soon,” Sehun shyly rubbed the back of his head.

 

Jongin’s and Miyoung’s eyes shot wide open in shock. “You are?!” they both exclaimed at the same time.

 

“Is it that hard to believe?” Sehun asked after seeing their reaction.

 

“Well, it’s just that I would have never thought you to be the type,” Jongin answered.

 

“Well how about you?” Sehun retorted. “Shouldn’t you be married by now? It has been two years since you and Miyoung started dating.”

 

“I would have proposed already, but Miyoung says not until she graduates from university,” Jongin pouted.

 

“Let’s not talk about that,” Miyoung interrupted their banter. “Anyway, congratulations Sehun. When’s the wedding?” the awkwardness she felt previously was completely gone.

 

“In two months,” Sehun answered.

 

“Oh, who’s the bride?” Miyoung seemed excited for him.

 

Before Sehun could answer, someone called for him, “Sehunnie!”

 

Jongin and Miyoung turned toward the yelling to see an overly hyper blonde-haired girl approaching them.

 

“Chohee, what are you doing here?”

 

“I’ve been looking everywhere for you. This park is no joke, it’s so gigantic!”

 

“Is there something wrong? Why do you sound so urgent?” Sehun sounded worried.

 

“Yes, there’s something wrong,” Chohee deadpanned.

 

Hearing her words caused Sehun’s calm face to quickly turn anxious. “What’s wrong? What happened?”

 

“Ey, so paranoid. Don’t worry your bride is safe,” Chohee complained and hit the back of his head. “But what’s wrong is that you left without saying anything. You know that we’re busy with preparations and yet you’re off gallivanting around.”

 

“Sorry. I was just checking if this gazebo would be a good place to hold the ceremony, when I ran into some old friends,” Sehun said.

 

Chohee then became aware of two sets of eyes looking their way. “I’m sorry you had to see that,” she bowed multiple times. “It’s nice to meet you, I’m Chohee.”

 

“Hello, I’m Miyoung and this is Jongin.”

 

“Jongin-ssi? Have we met before?”

 

“I don’t think so.”

 

“But you look so familiar…I remember! We met in front of your school when I was waiting for Jiel.”

 

“I’m sorry I really can’t recall.”
 

“Don’t be, we only met once so I can’t really blame you for forgetting. Anyway, I’m sorry to interrupt your reunion with Sehun but we’re really busy right now.”

 

“Ah, of course. Go right ahead,” Miyoung said.

 

“Thank you!” Chohee exclaimed then proceeded to push Sehun away.

 

“Sorry and bye guys,” Sehun waved to the two of them.

 

When they were a considerable distance away, Sehun turned to Chohee and asked in an accusing tone, “So you left Jiel on her own?”

 

“She wanted me to look for you since she was busy talking with the wedding planner,” Chohee cowered from the heated glare Sehun was shooting her way. Out of nowhere, she got her usual confidence back and said, “Well, I wouldn’t have left her alone if you hadn’t gone off on your own!”

 

“Yeah, yeah, whatever,” Sehun swatted Chohee’s finger away when she started poking him on the head.

 

“I still don’t understand how my wonderful best friend forgave, fell in love, and decided to marry you when you are so mean to me,” Chohee complained with a scowl on her face.

 

“You’re just jealous because I get to spend more time with her than you do,” Sehun stuck his tongue out at her.

 

“Oh Sehun you better run if you don’t want to get hit!”

 

Sehun heeded her warning and ran away. He ran even faster when he got a glimpse of his fiancé. Before Chohee could get a hold of him, Sehun was already hugging Jiel from behind and using her as a shield.

 

“Stop it you two,” Jiel swatted Chohee’s hands away and tried to get away from Sehun’s grasp.

 

“NO, stay here,” Sehun protested and tightened his hold on her. “Thank you for choosing me. I love you,” Sehun suddenly whispered, his lips right against the side of her neck.

 

“What happened?” Jiel asked due to Sehun’s sudden unusual behavior.

 

“Nothing,” he said while burying his face into her hair.

 

Sensing that he won’t be talking with other people around, Jiel gave Chohee a look to give them some privacy. Once Chohee and the wedding planner were out of earshot Jiel caressed Sehun’s arms around her waist before facing him, “Tell me what’s wrong.”

 

“I saw Jongin and Miyoung,” Sehun stated causing Jiel to tense up.

 

Not long after, Jiel let out a heavy sigh and reassured Sehun while gently cupping his face, “That changes nothing. For a brief moment in time I wavered and lost myself, but that’s all in the past now. I love you, I always have.”

 

“Promise?” Sehun implored her eyes for an answer.

 

“I promise Sehun. Now stop being so pessimistic. We still have a lot of things to do before the wedding.”

 

“Speaking of the wedding, should we invite my friends?”

 

“Go ahead,” Jiel laughed good-naturedly. “You were the only one opposed to it from the very beginning, even when I specifically told you that seeing your ex-girlfriend there doesn’t matter to me.”

 

“That wasn’t what I was worried about. I was taking your feelings into account since I didn’t want you getting hurt from seeing Jongin with her.”

 

“As I’ve told you many times, I’m over that. In fact, I’ve already forgotten the whole thing until you brought it up. What matters to me now is that I might not get married in two months time since my husband-to-be has been causing delays in our busy schedule,” Jiel smiled and kissed him on the cheek.

 

“No need to worry about that. I won’t let anything interrupt what I’ve been waiting for ever since I found out you’re the girl I’m going to be married to.”