The Second Task

The Legend of the Sun and the Moon

Chanyeol was such a bundle of nerves the tips of his hair was on fire.

 

“Chanyeol, you need to calm down otherwise you’re going to set this place on fire,” Jongdae said, trying to soothe the other.

 

“Get me a meeting with that worthless Lunar,” Chanyeol snarled, pacing around the room, hands running continuously through his hair, sparks dancing from his fingertips.

 

“Chanyeol, that’s a very bad idea right now. You just need to sit down, and calm down-”

 

“Now Jongdae,” Chanyeol growled, his voice deadly low.

 

The room went quiet and Chanyeol knew the last thing Jongdae wanted was him and the other challenger in a room together, but the champion had demanded it and what Chanyeol wanted, he got.

 

“Yes, champion,” Jongdae said, bowing before turning around.

 

After Jongdae had left the room Chanyeol grabbed the nearest object and set it aflame.

 

 

“You asked to see me?”

 

Baekhyun was sitting as calm as ever in a large armchair at the edge of the room near the window, legs crossed, head resting on one hand. He didn’t even seem bothered that Chanyeol had just slammed the door open and broken a vase.

 

The servants were hurrying to pick it up but Chanyeol sent one glare at them and they scurried out of the room. Jongdae had set up a meeting with the Lunar but as usual Baekhyun was alone. Meanwhile Jongdae was in the room waiting along with numerous other assistants. Chanyeol glared and after a hesitant moment Jongdae sent the other assistants out of the room. Chanyeol continued to stare at him and only after a few seconds did Jongdae leave quietly.

 

“What the hell was that?” Chanyeol demanded as he slammed the door shut until they were finally alone. He had gotten enough control over his fire that his hair had stopped burning but he knew his skin was still hot to the touch.

 

“And what is it you’re talking about?” Baekhyun asked curiously, tilting his head innocently to the side.

 

Chanyeol breathed heavily out of his nose. “That. Out there. During the task.”

 

Baekhyun shook his head. “I still don’t understand what you’re speaking of.”

 

Chanyeol began to pace, trying to calm himself down enough to resist jumping across the room and throttling the other boy. He had to get control of his emotions, he couldn’t harm him no matter how much he wanted to. This could be his plan for god’s sake, have Chanyeol break the treaty and send them into war again. Finally he had seemed to get a grasp on himself enough that he stepped forward, standing close enough to Baekhyun that he could see the stardust in his hair. “Why did you forfeit.” He spit out.

 

“Because I couldn’t win.” Baekhyun said simply.

 

Chanyeol threw his hands up in the air. “But you didn’t know that! You’ve never seen me fight. You don’t know how well I am with a blade! I could be the worst swordsman ever and you’ll never know because you never even tried.”

 

“Didn’t they tell you?” Baekhyun asked gently. “I’m the son of a farmer. What could I have done, sow you to death?”

 

“But you didn’t even try,” Chanyeol said, his voice almost desperate. He didn’t know why it had bothered him so much, but like everything Baekhyun did it got under his skin.

 

“I don’t need glory or fame, Chanyeol,” Baekhyun said and his voice was so soft that it made Chanyeol pause.

 

“But… But that’s not the only reason,” Chanyeol said and he couldn’t believe how weak and timid his voice sounded.

 

“Then what do you fight for?” And his voice was free of malice, more curious than anything.

 

Chanyeol thought for a moment. For the people and his race that depended on him winning these tasks. His actions would change their lives for fifty years. “For other people.”

 

“That’s good, Chanyeol,” Baekhyun said gently, coming to his feet. He stepped forward and Chanyeol made to move backward but found himself rooted in the spot. “But there are also other important things you should fight for.” He then placed his hand gently on Chanyeol’s shoulder. “Yourself.”

 

Chanyeol opened his mouth to argue that he was fighting for himself, but nothing came out because he couldn’t remember the last time he had ever done something for himself. After all these years it had been engraved into him; he belonged to the Solaris.

 

“Congratulations on winning the first task Chanyeol,” Baekhyun said and a smile grew on his face, the most genuine smile Chanyeol had seen in years. “You deserved it.” And then Baekhyun was gone and even though Chanyeol always felt internally hot, he had never felt so cold.

 

 

No matter what, Chanyeol couldn’t get Baekhyun’s words out of his head. It was like he had somehow stuck a voice recorder in his mind that he just couldn’t switch off. It frustrated him to no end and left him on edge. Constantly Jongdae had to chastise him for drifting off or warn him before he set something aflame. He was a mass of emotions that left Chanyeol at a loss for what to do because he hadn’t felt this way in a long time. He didn’t know what to do.

 

Baekhyun had begun acting normal again, coming to dinner and chatting with everyone like they were his best friends, but they had begun to avoid him like the plague, even his own people. Chanyeol didn’t think he had ever seen a Lunar so isolated by his people. Champions had done worse, losing quickly and humiliatingly to him, but the Lunar had stood by their challengers through and through, showing a determination and loyalty that Chanyeol had respected. But the dark looks and cold stares didn’t escape Chanyeol and for some reason it made him mad.

 

After dinner, when he had had enough of the rude attitudes and mumbled insults, Chanyeol stood up to go speak to Baekhyun but before he could he was taken to the side by some of the guests. They wanted to speak about how his training was, see how he was doing. He quickly assured everyone training was going well, that he was listening to his trainers to prepare for the intelligence test and was practicing his powers at the same time, but before Chanyeol could follow Baekhyun Jongdae had pulled him aside.

 

“We want to increase your training time,” Jongdae said.

 

Chanyeol bristled. He had been already training more than any other task, anymore and it might drive him insane. “Do you think I’m not capable?” He snapped.

 

“Chanyeol, he has something up his sleeve, don’t you see? The only reason he forfeited was to probably hide his abilities.” Chanyeol paused. He hadn’t thought of this. Baekhyun’s words then rang through his head and he had a feeling that wasn’t the truth.

 

In the end Chanyeol agreed, but more to escape Jongdae’s prying eyes than agree with his opinion. Baekhyun had left the dinner long ago but he was strangely determined and headed to the far side of the Solaris kingdom that housed the Lunar guest quarters. The servants didn’t spare him a glance but a few of the Lunar officials he passed by stopped and stared. He shifted uncomfortably, this whole palace belonged to him but it had been years since he had gone into the Lunar’s territory of the palace. He slowed as he got closer to the rooms, all the Lunar lived in the same area but he hadn’t visited enough in the past to know where the challengers were roomed.

 

“Excuse me,” he finally said, grabbing a Lunar that was passing by. It was a young man that looked frightened when Chanyeol stopped him. “Where is Byun Baekhyun’s room?” The man hesitated before pointing out the room at the far end of the corridor. “Thank you,” Chanyeol mumbled. He started walking but when he realized the other man was following him, as if nervous he would try something. He spun around and glared at him until the man scurried away. The look of terror in his eyes made Chanyeol feel a bit better.

 

However when he finally reached the door all his previous confidence drained from him in a flash. Really, why was he even there? He had so many questions for Baekhyun because of the previous night’s answers which had left him more confused than before, but he shouldn’t be fraternizing with the enemy.

 

Finally finding the courage, Chanyeol knocked on the door.

 

“Are you looking for Baekhyun?”

 

The person that came to the door was not Baekhyun, instead it was a Lunar maid with a duster in her hand. The room behind her was empty, but surprisingly smaller than Chanyeol had expected. He thought the challenger’s room would have been bigger and grander.

 

Chanyeol nodded hesitantly and the maid pointed down the hall. “He didn’t come back after dinner. Check in the library,” she offered.

 

The Solaris library was grand from the thousands of the years the Solaris had had of money and time to collect and write precious literature. It was one of their most prized possessions. Chanyeol however did not visit it often, books had never interested him as much as the weaponry or the stables.

 

The library was quiet, only a few scholars bowing to him as he entered. It was just as grand as the rest of the castle, with towering walls lined with bookcases filled to the brim and huge glass windows that let in the perfect amount of light. He walked through the shelves searching for Baekhyun but he couldn’t find the other male anywhere.

 

He was just about to give up when he spotted a spiral staircase in the corner of the library. Curious, he carefully scaled the steps and came upon a second level which he had never heard of. This top level was round and much smaller, more like just a single room than the vast library downstairs, lined with bookcases that looked much older and far less used. Faint amounts of light filtered in through the windows embedded in the ceiling, spaced out evenly so the light only came in fair amounts. He had only taken a few steps inside when he saw Baekhyun.

 

The other boy was sitting in a corner, legs crossed with a sliver of light raining down on him making the star dust in his hair sparkle even more noticeably. He was surrounded by numerous book stacked around him, a particularly large and old book bound in heavy leather situated on his lap. As Chanyeol walked toward him he caught the title; the Joint Ages.

 

Chanyeol remembered stores of the Joint Ages. It was a time that was a legend even before he was born. Long ago Suho, the leader of the Lunar, and Yixing, the ruler of the Solaris, had settled a peace agreement to share the sky. The two races had flourished and their people had seen a golden age until Suho was brutally murdered and the Lunar had taken revenge on the Solaris, thus sending them back into an age of war. Chanyeol had not heard the story spoken of in hundreds of years. He hadn’t even though people remembered it.

 

Baekhyun looked up as he approached but instead of looking surprised he merely smiled, actually looking quite excited to see him. “Hello Chanyeol. Oh, sit down, please!” He hurriedly moved a few books out of their way and scooted over so Chanyeol could sit beside him. After a pause he did, crossing his legs as Baekhyun closed his book and rested it in his lap. “So, what are you doing here?” He asked, turning his full attention to the other.

 

Chanyeol shifted uncomfortably under Baekhyun’s gaze and paused. Truthfully, he had been wondering the same thing. Why was he there? He didn’t even know what he wanted to speak to Baekhyun about, he had just felt drawn to the other. He needed answers but he didn’t know which ones. Deciding to follow his instincts he asked the first question he could think of. “Are you alright?”

 

He didn’t quite know why he asked but he soon realized it was the best question he could have asked because immediately Baekhyun’s gaze faltered and in that split second Chanyeol didn’t think he had ever seen someone so sad. But then Baekhyun’s smile was back on his face and Chanyeol was left wondering if it had even been real. “Why would anything be wrong?” He asked.

 

It was such a blatant lie, so similar to the smile he had given those who had ignored him at dinner, that for some reason it made Chanyeol angry. He didn’t know why but he felt so betrayed by a smile. Baekhyun had lied to him, but he had no reason to tell him the truth either. “Why are the Lunar treating you like that?” He said, seething. He didn’t know why it bothered him so much but he wanted to know why Baekhyun was so different, why the people he respected had turned so horribly against their own kind.

 

Baekhyun’s gaze was soft. “Trust me Chanyeol, you don’t want to know.” Before Chanyeol could argue that yes, he wanted to - no, he needed to - Baekhyun leaned forward and then his arms were embracing him.

 

Chanyeol froze, his body tensing up. It was awkward because of their positions on the ground, but Baekhyun was clearly hugging him. He couldn’t remember the last time anyone had touched him in such an intimate manner. Baekhyun hugged him firmly, but not so tight that Chanyeol couldn’t escape. It seemed more like a reminder that Baekhyun was here for him if he needed someone. Chanyeol couldn’t help but feel unworthy. “But thank you for worrying about me. Trust me, I’m alright.”

 

When Baekhyun’s arms slipped from his shoulders Chanyeol help but feel empty afterward, like he was missing a part of himself. Instead he distracted himself by pointing at the book in Baekhyun’s lap. His hand was shaking. “What’s that,” he murmured.

 

Baekhyun’s eyes lit up and he eagerly lifted the book to show Chanyeol. “It’s about the Joint. Not many people know about it, it happened thousands of years ago, but my mother told me about it when I was young and this book is fantastic! I’ve been reading it whenever I have time. We don’t have anything like this back at the Lunar palace,” he said, almost wistfully. “It’s wonderful. The possibilities of harmony and friendship… If only we could go back to peaceful times like that.”

 

They spent the rest of the night looking at the book. It was mostly Baekhyun speaking, telling Chanyeol of all he knew about the topic while Chanyeol merely listened, absorbing Baekhyun’s excitement and learning small things about Baekhyun that he let slip. Baekhyun was almost infectious and it was hard not to be drawn into his excitement.

 

“Wouldn’t it be great to go back to a time like that,” Baekhyun said wistfully. Chanyeol wasn’t quite sure, because the years afterward had been quite horrible, but maybe. If the balance could be restored eternally.

 

A comfortable silence followed, Baekhyun just staring into space while Chanyeol stared at him. He had just opened his mouth to say something when Baekhyun jerked, shocking Chanyeol. “Oh wow, it’s gotten late,” he said uncertainly. Chanyeol followed his gaze to the sundial on the wall and realized they had talked for hours, completely missing his nightly training. He was surprised, it hadn’t felt that long. Talking with Baekhyun felt like they were in their own little world, away from responsibilities and expectations. Baekhyun smiled apologetically at Chanyeol. “Sorry about that,” he said with a light laugh.

 

“It’s okay,” Chanyeol found himself saying, though he was sure he would get an ear full from Jongdae when he returned. He found he didn’t quite mind as much as he’d thought.

 

Baekhyun stood up first, leaving his book on the floor before reaching out for Chanyeol’s hand.

 

Chanyeol hesitated. He had never felt so drawn to someone in his whole life. He had seen so many people come and go, but they were just small blips in his immortal life span that washed away with time. But Baekhyun was like a star, a huge disruption in his otherwise unchanging routine. In the past few days Chanyeol’s emotions which were usually hidden under lock in key in the darkest recesses of his mind had all come to the surface; leaving him drowning and confused and sputtering for air that was the normality of his old life. But at the mere sight of Baekhyun’s smile everything got better and Chanyeol could almost forget.

 

He hesitated because it scared him. It terrified him that he had become so attached to someone that he had just met, someone whose life was fragile and would never last and would eventually leave him like everyone else did. Baekhyun was different and Chanyeol knew for that very reason it was what made him dangerous, but he wasn’t sure he could escape. He wondered which would hurt more, running away or staying. All his senses screamed for him to leave.  Baekhyun was the enemy. In the last task they were destined to fight each other to the death. Anything that happened between them would only end up hurting them in the end.

 

He took his hand.

 

 

“I’ve truthfully never been to this part of the castle,” Chanyeol admitted sheepishly. Now that he wasn’t looking for Baekhyun he could fully appreciate the Lunar’s guest quarters. It was magnificent, just like the rest of the Solaris palace, but the architecture had been changed in small ways to respect the Lunar people. The windows were smaller and thinner and most had heavy drapes attached to provide cover from the harsh sunlight, something that was few and rare in the rest of the palace. A few statues dedicated to the moon were placed strategically around the hall and past pictures of challengers and leaders were hung on the walls in respect. Chanyeol wasn’t surprised though when he spotted the bright red and gold colors of the Solaris, and a few tapestries of the sun that stood out boldly in the darker, cooler colors of the Lunar, his people were far too proud to have acted in any other way.

 

Chanyeol could feel Baekhyun staring at him curiously. He could also feel the gazes of maids and guards as they walked towards Baekhyun’s room, but the other boy didn’t seem to mind. “You’ve never been down here? Not after all these years?” Baekhyun asked disbelievingly.

 

Chanyeol flushed in embarrassment. He hadn’t because there was no reason to. The feud between the two races still reigned strong, the peace that tied them together as flimsy as ever. He had never gotten close enough to a Lunar to be invited to visit.

 

“Well then, you must come visit often!” Baekhyun said, face breaking out into a smile.

 

Chanyeol found himself smiling back, though more hesitantly than Baekhyun. He didn’t think he could ever be so radiant. “And you should come visit me as well,” he blurted out, shocking himself as well as the Lunar.

 

The boy looked stunned but after a moment his face stretched into a grin, eyes scrunching up into two crescent moons. “I’d love to,” he offered.

 

Their conversation drifted into a silence between them, but it was comfortable and so different from the constricting silences he experienced every day. Something so raw and breathable that Chanyeol never wanted it to end.

 

Baekhyun was smiling and Chanyeol was just basking in the happiness that it took them a few moments to finally realize they were standing in front of Baekhyun’s room. The boy let out a shy laugh and reached for the handle.

 

It was a change in the air, years of training and practice honed into Chanyeol’s own skin that brought him automatically in front of Baekhyun, hand coming up as the door swung open. The arrow hurtling toward them erupted into flames midflight, the wood setting ablaze and the arrow melting under the heat. It dropped to the ground before it even made it through the doorway.

 

It was the girl from before, the Lunar Chanyeol had misinterpreted as a maid. She looked shocked, bow hanging loosely in her hands. Realization seemed to dawn on her and she tried to grab another arrow but before she could the bow erupted into flames and she dropped it screaming.

 

Chanyeol wanted to kill. He had never wanted to set someone on fire so much, he wanted to watch her burn and suffer for what she had attempted to do. The flames smoldered in his mind, itching to grab onto the body and ignite the warm flesh, but suddenly there was pressure on his arm and someone yanked him backward, breaking his concentration, the fire burning in his head disappearing.

 

Then the guards were there, running past Chanyeol and grabbing onto the girl as she kicked and screamed. She yelled insults about cowardice and worthlessness at Baekhyun as she was dragged out of the room, and Chanyeol moved instinctively in front of him, shielding the other boy’s body with his own. It wasn’t until the girl’s cries had faded that he stepped away.

 

Baekhyun stepped out from behind him, moving into his bedroom. Chanyeol opened his mouth to say something, anything, but his mouth went dry at the sight of what remained of his room.

 

The once beautiful room had been destroyed. The bed was shredded to pieces, the pillows cut to rags with layers of feathers covering the room in a blanket similar to a light dusting of snow. A small bookcase at the edge of the wall had been kicked to the ground, books thrown open with pages torn out. Glass from the windows lay shattered on the floor, the drapes sliced open. A Lunar tapestry that had hung in the middle of the room been cut in an x pattern, its pieces hanging sadly from the wall.

 

Baekhyun walked through the mess, pieces of broken glass and paper crunching under foot. Once he came to the middle of the room he slowly lowered himself to his knees, reaching out to gently take hold of a book lying scattered on the ground. He gently picked it up and closed it, staring forlornly at the eight pointed star on the front page.

 

Chanyeol didn’t know what to do. He had never thought someone would do this. He understood the Lunar were mad, but he had never expected someone to destroy everything Baekhyun owned and then attempt to murder him. The mere thought left a bitter taste on his tongue. Hesitantly he stepped forward, feeling slightly out of place in the Lunar’s room, until he was standing beside Baekhyun.

 

The boy with the stardust hair looked up at him, eyes sad and lost, glazed over as if he wasn’t really seeing him. Baekhyun held the book out to him and Chanyeol took it wordlessly, tracing the star pattern on the front before opening to the first page.

 

It was a children’s book, one that he didn’t recognize. It seemed to be completely handwritten, titled The Peace of the Joint, illustrated in fine paints and curved handwriting. Chanyeol thought it was very beautiful.

 

“My mother made it for me,” Baekhyun whispered without looking up.

 

Chanyeol heart fell with a crash. This book was one of the last things Baekhyun had of his mother. The front was scratched up and the pages were folded and wrinkled from being handled so badly. Chanyeol took careful hold of the pages before smoothing them down, unfolding them until they laid flat. “Here, all better,” he said quietly, slowly sitting down and handing the book back.

 

Baekhyun took it wordlessly and just stared at it, caressing the edge with a blank look in his eyes. Chanyeol was at a loss of what to say and with a start he realized he hadn’t comforted someone in hundreds of years. Finally he slowly moved forward until his palm laid open on the back of Baekhyun’s hand. “I’m sorry,” he said, putting as much emotion and sincerity into the few words as he could. He couldn’t do much but he hoped Baekhyun at least knew he was there.

 

Chanyeol stayed with Baekhyun, the two sitting silently on the ground. At one point Baekhyun seemed to realize how late it had gotten and with gentle shoves tried to push the other out. “Shoo, I’m fine,” he said with a smile that didn’t reach his eyes. Chanyeol resisted but Baekhyun was adamant. “They’re probably looking for you.”

 

He was right, Jongdae was probably about to throw a fit, but Chanyeol didn’t want to leave Baekhyun, especially in such a broken state.

 

“Stay in my room,” Chanyeol finally blurted out halfway through the door.

 

But Baekhyun simply smiled, this one a bit more sincere, before he closed the door.

 

 

When Chanyeol returned Jongdae was mad, just as he’d assumed, and unsurprisingly Kris was well, who had come in with an entourage of generals to check on him. They badgered and lectured him about missing training but the words seemed to enter one ear and slip out the other. Chanyeol’s mind was elsewhere.

 

Eventually only Kris was left. Chanyeol finally faced him, wondering why he wasn’t leaving but too tired to ask him to.

 

“I heard what happened with the Lunar today,” Kris said and Chanyeol braced himself for a lecture.

 

“It might have been easier if you had let the arrow meet its mark.” Chanyeol looked up but Kris was already gone.

 

Chanyeol set his head wearily in his hands, fingers grabbing at his locks of hair, nails digging into his scalp. If the arrow had met its mark then the two of them wouldn’t have had to face off in the third task. And yet, to have let Baekhyun die…

 

Maybe he was being selfish but Chanyeol didn’t want to let Baekhyun go.

 

 

Chanyeol was not allowed to see Baekhyun after that.

 

Well, it wasn’t an official rule, but the generals had increased his training time until he barely had time to sleep and he was sure Kris had a part in that for the man seemed to have eyes on him at every hour. Training until every muscle ached wasn’t new, but the consistent yearning to see Baekhyun was. He was worried about him, how he was holding up, if he was eating well, if he was okay. After the first night he’d gotten extra protection for the Lunar, and he was sure no one would try anything again, but the boy was still in his thoughts.

 

He was taking off his drenched practice clothes, body exhausted and weary after a long practice session, when there was a knock on the door. He stood up, wondering who it was since Jongdae and Kris usually let themselves in, and opened the door.

 

“Baekhyun,” he said in surprise at the sight of the Lunar standing in the doorway.

 

“Hi,” Baekhyun responded sheepishly, meeting Chanyeol’s gaze quickly before looking down. “May I come in?”

 

“Of course.” Chanyeol moved aside and Baekhyun slipped into the room. Up close Chanyeol could see he didn’t look good; there were dark rings under his eyes and he looked like he’d lost the little weight he had.

 

“Do you always sit in the dark?” Baekhyun asked, startling him from his thoughts. His eyes were humorous though and Chanyeol flushed.

 

“Sorry about that,” Chanyeol said, moving to open the curtains, but Baekhyun stopped him with a hand to his arm.

 

“I like it,” Baekhyun said with a small grin and Chanyeol slowly smiled back.

 

There was an awkward moment in which the two seemed to just stare at each other before Chanyeol started and quickly hurried to grab a chair. “Here, take a seat,” he said, embarrassed. Baekhyun smiled at him and took a hesitant spot in the chair while Chanyeol leaned against his bedpost. “So, what brings you here?”

 

Baekhyun glanced down at his hands, fiddling with the ring on his finger. “I just wanted to say thank you… You know, for before. Saving my life and all,” he said shyly.

 

“No problem,” Chanyeol insisted, shocked. It really hadn’t been. What he had done was no strain on his abilities, but what bothered him more was that Baekhyun seemed thankful for something that had been the right thing to do.

 

Baekhyun stood up, like he was itching to move about. “Thank you Chanyeol,” he repeated, more urgently this time, “But why?”

 

“Why what?” Chanyeol asked tentatively.

 

Baekhyun stopped pacing and turned to him. Chanyeol hesitated at the intensity of his gaze. It was questioning, forceful, and his eyes seemed to pierce his soul as if Baekhyun could see into his very core. He stepped forward and Chanyeol resisted the strong urge to move away. “Why did you save my life?”

 

Chanyeol faltered. “I-I don’t know.”

 

Baekhyun stepped forward again and this time Chanyeol did look away.

 

“Is it because you want something from me?”

 

Chanyeol looked up in shock, surprise written clearly across his face. “Of course not!” He snapped, his voice laced with hurt. How could Baekhyun think of him like that?

 

“Then what is it? Must I owe you now? Are you going to try to ask me about the Lunar’s weaknesses, or ask me to lose the tasks?” Baekhyun was moving closer again but Chanyeol couldn’t avert his eyes.

 

“I would never!”

 

“Then what?” Baekhyun demanded.

 

There was a thick pause in which Chanyeol felt like he was drowning. “I like you Baekhyun,” he finally said, his voice loud in the silence. “I want to be your friend.”

 

Baekhyun’s gaze softened, as if he could hear all the unsaid words that hung in the air. “Let’s be friends then, okay?” He reached forward and gently linked their fingers together. “Forever.”

 

Chanyeol looked down at their linked pinkies because he couldn’t look into Baekhyun’s eyes.

 

Forever.

 

But just how long would their forever last?

 

 

Being friends with someone was very strange.

 

Chanyeol hadn’t considered it before but he hadn’t ever had a true friend. At a young age he had shown great capabilities and had joined the ranks and trained as a warrior even before the tasks. His whole childhood consisted of war tactics and fighting strategies. Anyway, who was he supposed to have been friends with? Soldiers about to die in war? Men twenty years older than him? Challengers whom he would have to face to the death? Even if he was to make a friend, he didn’t age because of the tasks and everyone around him eventually died. The closest he would ever consider was Kris or Jongdae, but he had always kept a safe distance from the two because eventually they would be gone as well.

 

But even with those thoughts in his mind he couldn’t help but wish to be friends with Baekhyun.

 

Baekhyun was infectious in every way; from the way he laughed with his eyes scrunched into crescent moons and his canine teeth showing, to the way he would run without a care in the world. Even though Baekhyun was tied down in the same ways Chanyeol was to the tasks, he lived like he was free.

 

“How was training?”

 

Baekhyun was sitting in his room in the dark, lying on his back on the floor and staring at the ceiling. The first time it had happened Chanyeol had nearly burned him to a crisp, but after realizing it was him and Baekhyun making a playful joke about it, it had become a routine. Since they barely ever saw each other Baekhyun visited late at night after Chanyeol had finished practice. Chanyeol wondered about Baekhyun’s own training sessions but he never brought it up and neither did Baekhyun.

 

“The usual,” Chanyeol responded with a shrug. Training was growing boring as it did every year. Year after year they drilled him with decades of history only to have him forget half of it when he grabbed a sword. The second task was his weakest but Chanyeol’s ambition seemed to have been lost years ago.

 

They lapsed into silence but it was comfortable. It soothed Chanyeol for some strange reason; the idea of just being able to be with someone without having to say anything or be anyone. They were just there, basking in each other’s company and Chanyeol couldn’t help but smile because he had never realized how much better it was than being alone.

 

“If I won the task, would you hate me?”

 

Chanyeol looked down to where Baekhyun was lying. The boy had an arm slung over his eyes and though he may have looked relaxed, Chanyeol could tell from the slight tenseness in his shoulders that he was waiting with baited breath for an answer.

 

“Well, I’d be surprised since I haven’t lost the second task in 350 years,” Chanyeol teased and he saw Baekhyun’s mouth quirk upward, “But no, I wouldn’t hate you.”

 

The tenseness disappeared from his shoulders. “Well then, you better watch out because I’m going to kick your sorry ,” Baekhyun teased and Chanyeol let out a bark of a laugh. Even though the tasks were no laughing matter, it was a breath of fresh air to be acting light and playful. Laughing had become a common occurrence since he met Baekhyun.

 

They lapsed into silence again with Baekhyun humming in the background.

 

“The second task is in two days.” Baekhyun’s humming cut off and Chanyeol wished he hadn’t said anything. Pretending was easier, it meant they could be friends without having to worry about anything, but through habit the tasks kept plaguing his mind.

 

“They are,” Baekhyun said lightly, seemingly unbothered. He seemed to consider something before slowly sitting up.  “Since we probably won’t be able to speak again until the task, I was wondering… Would you like to come to the Lunar palace with me?”

 

For a second Chanyeol thought he had misheard him. “What?” He asked instinctively.

 

Baekhyun tipped his head to the side and Chanyeol was surprised by how uncertain he seemed. “Come to the Lunar palace with me,” he repeated. “But of course, you don’t have to if you don’t want to. I know it would be a burden,” he added quickly, looking flustered.

 

No one had ever invited Chanyeol to the Lunar palace. The challengers were always hosted by the winning race’s palace and since the Solaris had won every task he had never had a reason to go across the border.

 

“Of course,” he said before Baekhyun could babble on anymore. He was more shocked than anything, but the consideration by Baekhyun sent a warm feeling through his chest and brought a smile to his face. Baekhyun looked surprised for a moment as well before a large grin slipped onto his face, his eyes forming half crescents.

 

“I can’t wait Chanyeol,” Baekhyun said earnestly before lying back on his back again.

 

Chanyeol leaned backwards as well, staring up at the canopy with his mind whirling. “Me too,” he whispered.

 

 

The two days until the second task passed by in a blur. There were a whirlwind of lessons as Chanyeol’s teachers tried to stuff as much knowledge into his head as they could, barely letting him sleep, much less absorb any of it. He didn’t get to see Baekhyun anymore, not even for dinner, but when he mentioned it to Jongdae he said that Baekhyun hadn’t been attending training, instead packing for his trip to the Lunar Kingdom. Chanyeol didn’t mention his own plans of visiting, he knew Jongdae would be angry when he told him, so he hid his bags under his bed and decided to tell him after the tasks.

 

The day of the task was surprisingly quiet. Chanyeol was awoken early in the morning, dressed and primped, and while the process was as boring as usual and exhaustion was plaguing his bones, Chanyeol couldn’t help the feeling of excitement at the upcoming trip. Excitement wasn’t something he had felt in a long time and it was all because of Baekhyun.

 

The walk to the coliseum was routine. Chanyeol was flanked by attendants, Jongdae at his side, until they arrived at the room that would be lifted into the stadium. Baekhyun was already there, sitting in a chair and dressed in his usual plain garb. Slim fingers tapped gently on the stiff wood and he smiled when Chanyeol entered and bowed his head in acknowledgement to Jongdae. Chanyeol’s attendants flanked out and Jongdae tapped him on the arm for good luck before he exited as well.

 

“How have you been?” Baekhyun asked him once they were alone, a grin on his face as he leaned back in his seat to try to find a comfier spot.

 

Chanyeol laughed bitterly, remembering the torturous process that had been the last few days. “Wonderful,” he said, his voice laced with sarcasm. He lifted his hands and pressed the heel of his palms to his eyes. Through his exhaustion he realized he never showed this much emotion in front of others; he blamed it on how tired he was.

 

When Chanyeol lowered his handed Baekhyun was smiling at him, though it was softer than before. Chanyeol couldn’t help but feel a hint of jealousy, Baekhyun looked surprisingly well rested.

 

“Once we get to the palace you can sleep as much as you’d like,” Baekhyun offered, grin lopsided.

 

Chanyeol hesitated beside him and Baekhyun’s face fell. “D-do you not want to go anymore?” He asked, stutter betraying him.

 

“No!” Chanyeol said quickly, lips quirking up into a smile and it’s surprisingly genuine. “Of course not,” he added more gently and Baekhyun returned his smile hesitantly. “Actually, I’m rather excited,” he admitted.

 

Baekhyun’s face broke into a true grin and the boy reached over to touch Chanyeol’s hand, one of the only spots that wasn’t covered in the most expensive silks the Solaris could find. “I’m glad,” he said sincerely and Chanyeol blamed his heart speeding up was because of the impending task.

 

The stage began to shift below them and Baekhyun retreated to his chair, face turning impassive as the ceiling above them opened up and sunlight spilled over them.

 

“Welcome all to the second task!”

 

Chanyeol blinked as his vision adjusted. The stadium was as crowded as ever, but Chanyeol could hear the new distinction; the Lunar were much less vocal than before. He glanced over to see if Baekhyun had noticed but he was staring blankly ahead.

 

“The second task is a battle of intelligence. In this task the two challengers will compete to see which of them are superior, the Solaris or the Lunar, in a battle of knowledge.”

 

The second task was the weakest for Chanyeol. His attention span was lacking and no matter how much he studied things always seemed to slip his mind. However, rather than worry about it, he found himself just wishing for it to be over. He hadn’t been lying to Baekhyun, he was truly excited, though what scared him was whether it was to see the Lunar palace or be with Baekhyun.

 

“This challenge will be a game of riddles. The opponents will answer questions back and forth until one is unable to continue.”

 

Chanyeol bit back a curse. He had never been good at riddles and they had never come up before in a task. Hours of history drilling gone to waste.

 

The announcer lifted a hand and a coin flew out of his grasp. Its gold surface glinted in the sun as it landed, a moon staring at them face up.

 

“The Lunar shall go first,” the announcer declared.

 

“I have towns but no houses.

Lakes but no water.

Forests but no trees.

And mountains but no rocks.

What am I?”

 

Chanyeol fidgeted in his chair, he had heard this one before, but Baekhyun didn’t even pause.

 

“A map,” he said smoothly and the announcer turned to Chanyeol.

 

“Two bodies I have though both joined in one.

The more I stand still,

The quicker I run.

What am I?”

 

Chanyeol felt a bead of sweat fall down his temple. The stadium was deathly quiet, its occupants waiting with baited breath for his answer. He racked his brain but everything felt like a jumbled mess. Two bodies… Joined in one…

 

“An hourglass,” he said, looking up.

 

The announcer turned away and Chanyeol let out a sigh of relief. He could barely hear the audience’s clapping over his loudly beating heart.

 

“A nightmare for some,

For others as a savior I come.

My hands, cold and bleak,

It’s the warm hearts they seek.

What am I?”

 

“Death,” Baekhyun breathed and Chanyeol felt a chill run up his spine. Baekhyun however never faltered and the announcer turned towards him once again.

 

“At night they come without being fetched,

And by day they are lost without being stolen.

What are they?”

 

Chanyeol blinked and he’s sure he looked confused. This riddle is unfamiliar to him, night has become something of a mere memory. He glanced at Baekhyun, as if looking at him would make everything clear.

 

Baekhyun stared blankly back, his eyebrows raised ever so slightly. He barely tipped his head but the sun glinted off the small movement of the jewels of his hair that shine like stars.

 

Stars…

 

“Stars,” Chanyeol said, turning back to the announcer. He thought he saw Baekhyun’s lips quirk upward.

 

“Until I am measured,

I am not known.

Yet how you miss me,

When I have flown!

What am I?”

 

Baekhyun hesitated and Chanyeol was surprised. This was a classic riddle that even young children knew. But when he glanced at Baekhyun’s face, rather than confused the boy looked almost bitter. “Time,” he said quietly after a moment. He cleared his voice but the announcer seemed to have heard him and turns back to Chanyeol. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Baekhyun unclench his fists from his robe and straighten out of the fabric.

 

“I can be stolen or given away and you will live,

Yet you cannot live without me.

What am I?”

 

The silence stretched on. Chanyeol stared at the announcer, mouth half open, but no words came out. He didn’t know.

 

He could feel Baekhyun’s gaze on him but when he looked up, instead of the indifferent look in his eyes the boy had through the task, Baekhyun’s eyes were sad, filled with something akin to pity. Chanyeol didn’t know why but it left a pang of hurt in his heart and he turned away.

 

“I don’t know,” he finally said, staring at the announcer.

 

The announcer acknowledged his answer and stood up to face the audience. Belated cheers erupted in the crowd when the Lunar seemed to realize their challenger had won. It was deafening and Chanyeol let the defeat wash over him. He felt bad he had lost the third space for the Solaris on the Council, but it was surprisingly not as painful as he thought it would be and he couldn’t help but feel relieved it was over.

 

“The winner of the second task is the Lunar!”

 

 

“Challenger.”

 

Jongdae bowed rigidly to him when he came out of the stadium. Chanyeol could practically see the tenseness in his shoulders. He didn’t blame him though, the last time he had lost a task he had set fire to the ballroom and locked himself in the practice room and hadn’t left for three days.

 

However, instead of losing it like Jongdae probably expected, Chanyeol merely clapped Jongdae on the shoulder, who jumped, and gave him a wiry smile. He didn’t miss the look of relief that passed over Jongdae’s face.

 

“By the way Jongdae, there was something I wanted to talk to you about…”

 

----------------------

 

(A/N: Here's the second part! The third part will be updated soon, and just a warning, it's super long. I didn't do that great of a job trying to make them equal xD Anyway, enjoy!

Also, I made an edit! [x])